Coins

Let's have a coin thread. Post pics of your currency or coins from another country.

Bonus points for actual pics.

Is this an actual coin?

What does the inscription read

Can someone shoop the smug hand on this coin

It looks like a commemorative coin. I've never seen this particular one, but I guess there must have been some of these released.

It just says "beatification of John Paul II", with the date.
Pic rel are the actual coins btw. 5, 2 and 1 złoty, and 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 grosze.
There are also 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200 zł bills, and they are planning on releasing 500 zł bill soon.

Are they still making the 1 grosz coin?
What's its use right now?

Yeah, they are still making it. The use is next to none, probably just continuity. You can't buy anything with 1 grosz. In fact, the cost of making a 1, 2 or 5 gr coins is greater than their nominal value. Obviously the bank doesnt' want to reveal the actual cost of production, but I seem to remember seeing an article claiming that making 1 grosz coins costs around 5 grosze.
Pretty retarded, yeah, I think there's been an idea to withdraw them from circulation a couple years ago. I don't know why that didn't work out.

Russia has done some great commemorative 10 rouble coins.

We have the same issue with the 1 and 5 pesos coins, they cost more to make than their actual value (about 6 and 17 pesos each). But they announced they're going to stop minting those starting next year.

What about 10 grosze? Can you do anything with those?

5 Zloty looks familiar

Not much you can buy for 10 grosze, but I suppose you should be able to buy a piece of candy for that much.
Well it isn't a problem, since it's monetary value exceeds the cost of production.

What about your 10 pesos? Are there gonna stay in circulation?

Looks pretty good. It's rare to make commemorative coins for that kind of value. Just checked, it would be around 62 grosze. You can't buy much for that, can you?

Yeah, 500 italian lire, or 2 euro remind me of the design as well.

Just a little more than 2 years ago, 10 roubles would have bought you half a marshrutka/bus/metro ride in the city I lived in. Now, it's chump change.

new coins

this is a nice coin that they minted in 2009

it says "Den underbara sagan om ett land på andra sidan hafvet"

in english, "The wonderful story about a land on the other side of the sea"

this quote was taken out of Anton Rosells book "Studentbesöket i Finland"

> 1kr and 5kr no longer silver
> 2kr coin exists
why?

I suppose, but it seems they are going to change its alloy to make it cheaper. You can buy a piece of candy or a single paper in a library with 10 pesos, so it's mostly for change uses.

Agreed.

memes

the majority of people pay by card nowadays anyway

Oh wwo, I hadn't seen those ones yet. Pretty dope.

Same with our 1 cent, it costs more than a cent to make, but the mint makes enough on the larger denominations to more than cover it, for how much longer, who knows?

Yeah, those look great
The thing I don't like about the 10 roubles is how they are minting the same denomination with two different alloys.

Canada already got rid of their penny, so I don't think it will be much longer