My wifi is fucking shit, lags like all hell

My wifi is fucking shit, lags like all hell..

Anyway, for online gaming on my Laptop should I get a Ethernet Bridge or Wireless Range Extender?

wired
always wired if possible

>my wireless is shit should I put more wireless in the way of my already shit wireless to try make my wireless less shit
Are you slow mate, just buy a long cat6 cable

Can't really run a cable directly from my router to my room due to the locations of them

sorry senpai
latency on your wifi is only going to get worse with a range extender

Mmkay so Ethernet bridge? :)

that's still just wifi

Why not diagnose the problem first ?

Is it a weak signal ?
is it a shitty wifi box ?

Just run a cable from one end of the house to the other or enjoy shitty packet loss, high ping and slower downloads.

I dunno reccomend me moving my router entirely then?

have you tried powerline? probably the simplest idea other than running a long ethernet cable.

Just tell your parents you want to run the fucking cable

not OP, but I have tried powerline.
it is extremely dependent on your wiring in your place.

I had a 500mbit powerline kit, only got 3mbytes 1 floor down

maybe its improved since then, but for me it was utter shit.

move the router or start drilling holes

OP again. Just for future reference I wanna look into my router to see if it's just shit got any recommendations for a good one?

Channel 13

If you have Coax nearby, get a MoCA adapter. Shit is good.

Sounds like quitter talk.

Lol I'll look into it

There are some new mesh WiFi systems out there for large houses like Orbi and Google WiFi, but the best thing to do would be to set up Ubiquity APs in your house and run everything to a closet. Then you will have even WiFi coverage everywhere.

If your access point isn't already ac, get an ac access point. Make sure you're broadcasting on a clear channel. Most routers can do a site survey to figure out what channel to use. Don't skimp too hard on your purchase. Get at least a 2x2 mimo device with exposed antennas. You should be spending at least $70.
If you're still having issues, buy another access point and set it up as a bridge. Get the same model as your primary if possible. This generally gets better performance than the dedicated bridges and you get 4 ports for other things if it's a router.

Range extenders that don't have an ethernet backhaul should be avoided if at all possible. You really don't need one unless you live in a literal mansion. They generally work intermittently and they increase latency by a lot.

from best to worst
>ethernet
>power line ethernet adapter
>wifi

>ethernet
>moca
>power line depending on the quality of your wiring
>wifi

fixed.

every fucking wifi thread
>derp my wifi is slow i get like 230493049ms ping on cawa duudy
>"run a cable, idiot"
>derp can't run cable because i rent/steal wifi from neighbors/mommy wont let me/live in basement and they don't know i'm here
fucking hell. buy a drill, drill a hole, run the damn cable.

Get an extender and plug it in directly from there

powerline faggot

You really can't run a 100 ft 20 dollar ethernet cable by duct taping it to the wall/ceiling?

>duct taping it to the wall/ceiling
jesus

hell yea lemme just drill a hole through one of the walls in my apartment

>use wifi
>have to buy expensive ass shit just to get a good signal
>run cables
>worst case you have to buy an unmanaged switch for like 30 bucks for more ports

you don't have to punch a hole through the wall, make it small enough you can just cover it before you move out

why the fuck not? people do it all the time.
drill the hole, put a decent looking wall jack in place, and mud/paint it. your landlord will never notice.
post a battlestation pic and i'll probably be able to tell you how and where to run it.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

maybe if you live in a trailer.
install it properly.

>ethernet
>moca
>hpna
>power line depending on the quality of your wiring
>wifi

adding

>My wifi is fucking shit
don't talk about her that way you took an oath

>drill hole in wall
>insulation
>remove insulation
>stud
>drill bigger hole in wall to get drill into wall to drill the stud
>more insulation
>remove insulation
>another stud
>drill hole in stud big enough to fit drill through to drill a hole in the second stud
>etc
in some homes, it's just not viable to install cables without taking down all your sheetrock
though seriously there's nothing wrong with taping it to the ceiling

>Cut wall section from top of box to floor at both ends.
>Dril holes into basement/crawlspace.
>Install boxes.
>Run cable.
>Patch sheetrock, mud sand and paint.
Yeah it's a pain in the ass, but it's not a huge job. Maybe a couple of hours if you're gud, or a weekend if you're an idiot.