How do Japanese write on electronical devices? Is it a good-working system or os it shit...

How do Japanese write on electronical devices? Is it a good-working system or os it shit? Wtf do they need 3 spacebars for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZuELh7rhI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb-shift_keyboard
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee418266(v=vs.85).aspx#japanese_ime
amazon.co.jp/dp/B018JI994W/
fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/élève#Prononciation
slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/02/what_does_a_chinese_keyboard_look_like.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's kinda like a tiling WM, Those spacebar-positioned keys are context-switches. Japanese is also like perl, in the sense that it can do stuff in any number of ways, and none of them are particularly efficient. but it looks cute 0w-

Sounds nice. One of those things which are unnecessarily complicated but still nice in some way.

The keys read 1)left thumb non converting, 2)right thumb converting, 3)space. I haven't seen this kind before think it's for converting kana to kanji. Most just use romaji, roman letter input.

The placement of the hiragana on this keyboard doesn't make any sense

>Most just use romaji, roman letter input.
Do they convert it to Kana afterwards? Most Japanese stuff I've seen online wasn't romaji.

I live in japan and use a jap keyboard, mine has a slightly different layout then ops pic though, my spacebar is much bigger (but still small in relation to a western spacebar)

As to answer your question we just write our words alphabetically and the computer converts it to Japanese text, like I simply write "kanji" in western letters and then press the spacebar and cycle through the options until I get 漢字

I am not a weeb btw

>we

Eigo sensei pls go.

Are you Japanese?
be my bf pls

>Old chassis Thinkpad
>New keyboard
To what end?

can u pls give me that keyboard?

No that's what x230 came with

Isn't this standard X230 setup? I'd care more if it was the only kb I have access to, but on the go it's more than adequate and I have this realforce.

I can't.

The fuck that even mean

Nice realforce. Why don't the modern ones have the Japanese legends?

What do you mean by legends? The kana on each key or something else?

This one is modern though.

If you think the nips got it bad....

I'm Japanese myself, I just use a normal QWERTY and type out the Romaji which automatically is changed to Kana

youtube.com/watch?v=u3ZuELh7rhI

/thread

un

mac fags gtfo my board
>inb4 im not gay, im girl
prove it cunt

What is this? Plates of keys? Do they play the drums on it or something?

I want to fuck pearl.

>the hiragana and katakana have totally different layouts
why did they do this?

>check image again
>katakana now gone

No one ever uses that anyway.

All IME input.

The worst part about Japanese keyboards isn't the short spacebar, but instead the weird JA layout of special characters.

I thought they just used hirigana and typed the romanized form?

To be honest it's odd that english doesn't do half the shit other languages do.
Even German and Gaelic do things that English doesn't.
It is an odd language. I blame shakespeare.

How much for that deal?
Because wew.

that's like asking chinese how do they type chinese

打注音符號或用拼音的,輸入法可以選字

That's a good question actually, any germans, scandinavians and slavs/russians that use those dotted letters and alternative letters?
How hard is it to use a keyboard to type them?

They have those accented letters instead of other English ones, not in addition to.

What if they need to type english?

They probably use alt-codes or switch their keyboard over to English in software like we do when we want to type another language.

Polefag here, it's pretty easy. We have some non-standard letters, which are accessible by pressing the most similar letter and the right alt key.

a + alt = ą
e + alt = ę
o + alt = ó
etc.

The only exception is the z letter, since we have two additional version of that letter, ż and ź, we have to use z + alt to get ż and x + alt to get ź.

Horrible.

German here, we just have three keys extra between Enter and the normal layout, on them are ÜÖÄ

Its basicly not much different but its kinda hard to reach enter/delete with your pinky, if you have tiny hands

Theh change the input mode from half width hiragana to romaji.

Either through the dedicated key or by pressing alt+shift.

>literal scribes required in the modern era
kek

Like that for smartphone

Those keyboard are not really used. We use a Latin alphabet input that translates to Japanese on the computer and then use spacebar to select the kanji.

>weebfilth.jpg
>I am not a weeb btw

Yeah sure I hope you stay in Tokyo, your containment city, we don't want you here.

If you had read the Wikipedia article you took that photo from, you would know. Or perhaps you're baiting? Either way, you don't fool me, retard.

帰国しろ!

This poster knows what's up, have a (You).

>we
speak for yourself, faggot

also, by definition, it makes no sense to call a japanese person a weeb

Pure autism.

As far as I can tell, Sup Forums has actually developed a completely novel-to-English grammatical construct. The suffix -fag.

English doesn't have a universal suffix that would indicate the subject belongs to a group. Words are modified on a case by case basis, like Germany to German and France to French. This is also incredibly limiting in a language with a near infinite vocabulary.

Like most problems in life, that's easily fixed by calling people faggots. Any given word can suddenly be used as a group identifier. How do you wash, are you a bathfag or a showerfag?

They use QWERTY keyboards, romaji input and IME, every OS has it built in, nerds.

How is that much different from the usual "-er" suffix one might use in that situation besides brevity?

Fake, here's the real one

>three of the most popular programming languages in japan are C, assembly and Perl
How do I get a job there

Genuine question:
Why did you get the JIS version of the realforce instead of the american one?
I usually shift between input methods with C-space and I find annoying the small space bar at the price of keys I don't use. (beside changing between romaji to "kanji through romaji", do you use all these keys?)
Of course, one could remap them to do dank emacs macros, but this is very specific and is more like a solution looking for a problem.

One of these shoves gender down your throat like a fuckboy's cock.

> open up

They have to learn the latin alphabet before they can type on a computer. They then type in it and convert to their own writing system with software the operating system came with.
For windows you can find the instructions here: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee418266(v=vs.85).aspx#japanese_ime
An alphabet is the most logical and most efficient writing system, and we're lucky that's what Europe ended up with. Rest of the world can stick to their hieroglyph garbage.

I live in Japan so this was the most obvious option. I use 変換 sometimes, but rarely 無変換 and the switcher beside right alt.

The activate key / zenkaku&hankaku key to turn on ibus / IME under the ESC is mainly what I use though. I much prefer a dedicated key for that rather than super+something or space+something for activation.

I wish I didn't care about that though. I want another small keyboard now for home use and my options are either one of the limited native JIS options or buy something US, spend money on keycaps, then depending the layout, still be forced to reprogram everything or use fn+esc as activation.

Filco Minila Air JA Layout.

Best option really. Only negative is that it doesn't come with Cherry MX Greens.

Can be a bitch to get keycaps for though since no one supports JA layouts.

Yeah I was thinking that or

amazon.co.jp/dp/B018JI994W/

Why does it have two pedals and drumsticks?

Please answer this?

I didn't think the Ducky came in a JA layout.

Either are solid choices.

Tempted to get one myself, honestly, but after market keycaps are a bitch on a JA layout.

What I'm wondering about, is why does that thing have two tabs keys.

Where?

Any reason to spend the extra on the ducky?

I'm still holding out on both though since I use the thinkpad trackpoint at home and at lab with the topre I have a mouse, so not sure I want to use non trackpoint kb at home.

I'm also in Japan, and both versions are available both on amazon and in physical stores such as bic camera.

So you've map 全角/半角 to changing the input method and you use 変換 to circle through the various kanji for a given reading?
And the reason you're not going to trade the JIS layout for another one is the single keystroke to change input layout?

In my case :
reasons I consider buying a JIS
>Dank meme cred when I post pic of my desktop on Sup Forums
>Not having to do virtual gymnastic when I type on someone else's computer
>single keystroke to remap (again, a solution looking for a problem)

Reasons I consider not to
>the : ; placement between JIS and ansi fucked my vim skills
>I have the habit of pushing the side of the spacebar with my thumb, leading to annoyance when I use JIS
>having to deal with shortcuts what are ergonomic on ansi but not on JIS
>the location of the ' (on the 7)
>the size of the Backspace key

Regarding your last sentence, what about the JIS version of the HHKB?

Not answering your question, but there are Emacs pedals for modifiers, might be the same.

>Where?

It has a タブ key next to the left alt and the three "spacebars".

Moroccan here. Does French count ? Letters like è, é, ç, and à can be typed by pressing 2, 7, 9 and 0 respectively when caps lock is off (otherwise it prints the numbers). Letters with chapeau (^) and tréma (¨) accents are written by pressing on the accent first (at this point nothing is displayed yet) then typing the letter. For instance, ^ then a produces â. Pressing the accent twice simply prints it out : ^ or ¨. On Windows however, it gets printed out twice.

Arabic has an entirely different layout and is more difficult to explain.

>è, é,

What's the difference?

I suppose I just prefer JIS layout for the convenience of switching to other boards here, like yourself.

>So you've map 全角/半角 to changing the input method and you use 変換 to circle through the various kanji for a given reading?

Yeah basically 全角/半角 switches only between ja/en inputs and when necessary I use 変換 if simply typing + space isn't enough.

>Regarding your last sentence, what about the JIS version of the HHKB?

Too much and looking for a non topre. Plus I don't like the hhkb layout I guess. For that price I'd rather get one of the cheaper / more popular boards from the US or Massdrop or whatever then just buy new keycaps but the filco or ducky mini is probably the best option.

Oh I see it now.

the accent isn't in the same direction. they're pronounced differently.

è has an accent called "accent grave" and é has an "accent aigu". The former can be used with ù and à, but the latter is only usable with é. I think there's also a subtle difference in pronunciation but I'm not sure. From my understanding, è takes slightly longer to pronounce than é : fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/élève#Prononciation

On Nordic keyboards some keys are moved around.
More specifically, the keys: ;/:, '/", [/{ are moved and replaced with Æ/Ö/Å and finally is put in it's own button next to Z.
The keys that used to be in the spot get put under the alt+gr modifier.

It takes some time getting used to, mainly if you use US layout (no ISO xboxhuge enter key) and modifiers for symbols.

>subtle
it's not subtle.

it's a lot more difficult for non-native speakers to distinguish them than you think. things like "pois" and "point" can be a bitch too, when taken out of context.

They wouldn't need such messy keyboards if they dropped the old crufty kanji and went kana only with spaces

Yes it converts as you write, and you are right. Japanese people don't use romanji for much.

If they just make that or the similar model without variable switches

>control
>shift
>fun
>super
>option
>alt gr
>command
>meta
wtf?

>it kinda useless but cute
>just like perl

DELET THIS! DONT YOU TALK ABOUT HER LIKE THAT

They have uniform 45g

There are four possibilites for each key.
The pedals act as modifiers, think shift/ctrl/alt/function.

No pedals.
Left pedal.
Right pedal.
Both pedals.

no fucking way that shit is standard.
that probably lets you type in at least 5 languages.

I don't think he was being serious.

According to this the chinks just use an IME or type out the characters by their stroke order. Not very different from the Japs.

slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/02/what_does_a_chinese_keyboard_look_like.html

There's no reason to use Perl when Python exists though. Text manipulation isn't important enough to warrant using Perl

>slavs/russians
Russians just have them on the regular ISO layout, sometimes on an ANSI one. You change the system language to change between languages. Some Slavic languages probably use shift + key for additional modified symbols.

lmao

>we
I don't want to be associated with a faggot like you, please leave out the plural.
You are alone here just like you are in real life.

If you think this is bad, enjoy the filth that is the Canadian Multilingual Standard.

There's a reason why NO ONE uses this layout outside of Quebec. Pure unadulterated cancer.

That explains the pedals, but not the drumsticks.

My first thought was that the sticks are used to press each key, due to the large size area and un-ergonomic arrangement. But then you'd have to be able to do Dream Theater style sick drum solos to be able to type fast on such a set up.

It gets points for including stuff like the musical note or Omega. Didn't knew those were standard characters in the Canadian alphabet.

Note the music note and omega, but complete lack of a carat symbol. And no, that shit next to the 'P' isn't a carat, it's so frogs can put a hat on various letters for no reason.

Japanese people don't use spaces so a large spacebar would be wasteful. The three smaller spacebars are used to switch between Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji, and Romanji.

drumsticks were probably placed nearby for the sake of joke

>not using a maximum efficiency orcish keyboard layout
filthy giaours

Weeb/otaku whatever in the end they're both delusional trash-tier citizens.

By "we" I meant non-weeb/otaku people living in Japan, God bless the capital taking it for the country I don't want your kind to spread.

Is correct, but his taste in keyboards is shit.
>Prob costed a fortune also, since you need to buy seperate ISO keycap kits for nordic.

>By "we" I meant
You meant nobody since nobody wants to associate with a faggot like you.

Not as delusional as some gaijin thinking his hot opinion actually matters.
Don't you have anything better to do?

so if I understand correctly, the most common electronic comms would be:

keyed in romanji ==> software translator capable of converting into a normalized standard written mix of hiragana, katakana, and kanji?

Is this how a standard would work there?

The IME I use myself has you writing kana as romaji (hiragana, or with shift katakana), then you can select the word and press ctrl and up/down to cycle through kanji versions. I think the old Microsoft one works like that too, from memory. I remember some anime where the joke was that the guy accidentally cycled one too many times and his "hello" turned into "with love", turning the message from a friendly letter to a love letter.

I don't know how actual japs type on their computers though, and I really only use IMEs to translate words I don't know in videogames and to look up kanji (it comes with a very powerful lookup engine). It's JWPce in case anyone is wondering.

Obviously few people will have the same opinion as me on Sup Forums since half its username are basement dwelling weebs with delusional worshipping over a specific country. But most same people will agree that any form of fanaticism is is not healthy and abnormal.

Of course you'd prefer to say that I'm delusional than accepting a painful reality, it's easier to handle right ? What I said is common sense and is not directed towards weebs especially but to any kind of delusional fanatic. Not sure if you think that gaijin is an insult but thank you for pointing out an obvious fact !
Do I have anything better to do ? Surely but I like to take break from time to time in order to infuriate weebs on a Mongolian wood carving board just to prove my point.

It's clearly an inferior and bloated writing system, but they manage somehow. Just look up images of Chinese or Japanese typewriters for a good LOL