Drivers of Sup Forums, do any of you guys use Dashcams?

Drivers of Sup Forums, do any of you guys use Dashcams?

I want to get one just so I can be safe on the road if I'm in an accident, is there a recommended device to go for?

I've heard really mixed things about some dashcams being very unreliable not saving footage correctly etc.

Use an old smartphone, we all have a few of them lying around.

Start recording when you start driving.
If nothing happens, simply tap "delete" when you finished driving.

That's what I do because it's simple and free, but I'm sure there is even apps for that.

>I want to get one just so I can be safe on the road if I'm in an accident
If you're safe depends on the rules of the country that you're in. In Germany for example, they are kind of not allowed (data protection issues, so only under circumstances and technical limitations and blah), and thus the footage is not really useful because it can be turned down.

And, oh, yeah sure, Google, that tram is totally a Bus.

You'd go faster to tell us what is allowed in Germany.

I've got an A119. The only issue I've had is the connection on the gps mount became very shitty very quickly (power cycled every 10 seconds after only 3 months of use). I never used the GPS though so I bypassed the mount and plugged the cable into the camera directly.

I highly recommend getting a dashcam. They're great to have since they'll save your ass if some retard does some shit that would otherwise result in 50/50 responsibility due to no proof. It's a small investment that could potentially save a bunch of money.

Safe was the wrong word, it's really just to prove whether or not I'm liable if there's a collision. Having video evidence if someone rear ends me or reverses into me would help.

breathing, but not too loud.

That's absolutely, 100% the worst way to do this.

>That's absolutely, 100% the worst way to do this.
Nicely argued, I'm convinced now.

It works, you have a video of what is happening in front of your car what more do you want?

Used a Transcend 220. Nothing to complain about, but it showed that a single dash cam is not very useful.

Save your money and get a dual channel one. Blackvue and Thinkware have the best 2ch cams.

limited field of view, overheating issues, shitty night sensor
>old smartphones

And reg the stuff not getting saved, I haven't had it happen to me, but a few Thinkware cams save the video to the internal mem along with the SD card. Look into it.

Was thinking the same thing, a lot of these mid range cameras do capture some good footage with a wide angle lens but you really want something looking out the back too.

I got one, a Thinkware F50. I hardwired it, but I must've fucked something up and it only records while the car is on (supposed to have a parking mode while it's off).

It sucks that I have to use Windows to change the settings (WINE does not work), but I don't often need to do that.

The A119 and newer A119S are having contact issues with their pins.

If you got yours from Amazon recently, just return on premise of failing power contact pins.

That said, I'd recommend either the A119 or A119s for around $100. They are best in their pricepoint at the moment.

Anyone have any expereince with the Nextbase range?

Looking at the 312G currently. for just under £200, footage quality looks decent both night and day and seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon.

Expected that shit. That's why I've ordered a Thinkware with an LCD screen so I don't have to deal with proprietary desktop/mobile apps. Would've preferred a non-screen model if the apps were FOSS.

Also, can the OSX software be recompiled for Linux?

>Hey these products have some issues and you should return them
>That said, you should buy these same products
Am I missing something here?

Found one of these piles of crap in a skip.
Thing is bulletproof.
Use it on me bike, tis fun.

Logo is:
>In Tech
when it starts up.

Never had any of these three potential issues, but I see how this could happen with a really old phone.
When I talk about old smartphones, I mean the one I used before the one I currently have. It's a few years old, works perfectly and probably have a better lens and software than a dashcam.

I also use the a119. Was reversed into only a couple weeks ago. Pointed at my cam and the guy has agreed to full responsibility. $800 to replace the bumper cover, $100 for the camera. Worth it

Newer versions have better contacted pins. They plaster "V2" all over their pictures on Amazon now.

Man, for an equivalent $250 it better be fucking great quality not "decent". Decent would be the A119 for its pricepoint $100; go look up comparison.

limited field of view. Or you could add those fisheye attachements but that presents another set of problems. A decent DC with decent lenses sit at around $90 starting freedom units

Is there a reason not to use my current smart phone and use autoboy black?

You can do that, but phones aren't built to take the heat of the inside of a black car in the summer, and the cameras aren't optimized for this, you want to be able to read licence plates. Also much bulkier than you need them to be, and someone might try to steal it.

The point is to prove you were doing that. Everyone hates everyone else these days so you can expect them to lie to the police.

Op, Personally I prefer the kdlinks r100 due to good video quality and because its very discreet.