Raven Ridge Mobile Zen based APUs spotted;

Raven Ridge Mobile Zen based APUs spotted;
videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-vega-8-and-vega-10-mobile-spotted

R5 and R7 chips, with 8/10 CU's repsectively

HOUSE FIRE RISES

Nope

They'll be more power efficient than anything intel has to offer

t. i9-7900x owner

I'm sure AMD is quaking in their boots about those 1.8ghz base clocks on the new mobile chips.

BUT TURBO
4GHZ
FOR HALF A SECOND

>Vega with 8 CUs @ 800 MHz is going to produce the same heat as a Vega with 64 CUs @ 1600 MHz

Current state of retarded shills on Sup Forums.

Why didn't they just put Polaris inside, one of their most efficient products since long ago. Implementing vega into something like that just seems weird, when they could have an efficient pair of one Zen CCX and a cut down version of polaris under the IHS.

Vega is more efficient than Polaris at low clocks.

that makes me wonder why didn't they release any vega based cards for poorfags (let's say, 1050ti levels)
yes I know there's RX5x0 family but that's just another line of old rebrandeons

Hbm

chances are they didn't want vega muscling in on the 500 series which is a fairly recent release (may 2017 iirc)

Vega 11 should be out q4 or q1 next year

betting all their money on hbm wasn't the finest of their moves

HBM may still have it's uses.
Onboard memory for APUs for example.
Certainly no memory bottleneck there then.

AMD can get 2.0ghz clocks on 8 cores at 35W TDP.
That's a dual ccx chip, with way more i/o than needed on mobile, while still carrying around server features like xGMI and super high bandwidth memory controller

>vega in a laptop

>mobile
When the fuck do I get my 7890K replacement. This was the best shit I ever bought for my living-room htpc.

cuck

Except it was. AMD's gddr5 memory controllers are dogshit and they don't even have gddr5x controllers last time I checked. They're saving like 40w on the controllers alone. HBM's real benefit is in the lightweight controller

SOPA

>HBM's real benefit is in the lightweight controller
Really? I thought it was more complex, since it's so much wider.

I've been saying this for a while. Yes, Vega desktop GPUs are subpar compared to nvidia offerings. Especially considering their price and power.
But when they lower the performance target the efficiency gets damn close to pascal. These things are going to be awesome in laptops.
I would love to be able to comfortably play some-what demanding games in 1080p on a laptop. Specifically WoW.
If these APUs aren't as good as I hoped the mx150 is.
We'll finally have portable laptops with enough vidya performance to play some simple shit on the go.
I don't have the benchmarks but when you drop the clocks on the core it becomes much more efficient. They're clocked so high atm that another 200 watts of power only gives you 10% more performance. See adoredtv's video for that.

I just wish they'd reduce card sizes instead of releasing 30cm long monstrosities where 2/3rd of the PCB is empty space.

Nano Vega?

That's what nano does and it's more expensive

>that makes me wonder why didn't they release any vega based cards for poorfags (let's say, 1050ti levels)

Poorfag cards are dead since iGPUs have finally become half decent in the last few years

Are you retarded? He's directly referencing a card that came out like a year ago and has a competitor in the rx 460. And there are no IGPUs that can compete with either of them, both being around hd7950 levels.

But the others are saying vega is tied to hbm and that doesn't make economic sense at the lower ends. It would be nice if amd could FINALLY have a competitive lower end offering. The 560 is an embarrassment.

Well all I know is it's MORE efficient than the desktop variants at lower performance targets. The power saving mode on vega is with in 10% of max power draw's perf and only uses like 270 watts. They would NOT be using vega if it were worse than polaris at that speed.
Yeah DDR4 always sucks for APUs (HBM shared system/video memory when???) but there is no way it's not faster than their older APUs. If they just double the graphics perf(I suspect more than double) we're around the rx 460's perf which is plenty for a laptop.
My dream laptop is an APU driven one with enough performance to play basic games. Full on gaming laptops are for the rich but something like that would sell like hotcakes.
I'm suprised Apple didn't contract out an APU from intel or AMD and slap HBM2 on it for one of their laptops. They love to do crazy shit like that even if it's not always wise(removing headphone port)

So, are there any benchmarks or comparisons to current APUs or Intel iGPU?