How many Linux fanboys actually use Linux as their primary OS?

How many Linux fanboys actually use Linux as their primary OS?

Other urls found in this thread:

slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/office/libreoffice/
youtu.be/yXr8bqzf45Y
m.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

maybe 2 or 3

My go-to OS. Wiped windows 7 off a laptop to install ubuntu. I run DNS, DHCP, NFS, and apache at home all using linux. Just installed the android SDK to give it a spin. Did you fall for the mac meme or something?

I didn't used windows for a few months now, and still don't feel like I should.

I do. I use Debian stable. Thinking about moving to Slackware. I know it's not believable to many that some would use Linux as primary but it depends what you use your computer for. I use it mostly for music and writing. I hardly play games anymore.

single OS, not even really a fanboy

Since botnet10 I'm not using dualboot anymore.

Solely using Linux distros hasn't been unfeasible for a while. I use Windows for compatibility and I've already started missing it since the rough edges started getting sanded.

I have used arch as my primary os for three years now
still have windows 7 for some vidya when i feel like it once a month or so

>Primary OS.
None. Linux is a kernel.

>he doesn't have his own company he runs on antergos

Yep, at home and at work
Not even kidding

I don't use it, I just meme it to laugh at the idiots who fall for it and post frustrated rants.

I only use Windows because I am not a communist.

Which is 99% of what an OS is, retard.

Majority of this board is probably larping nowadays.
I don't really like any of the kernels to be honest, but I will always choose Linux and BSD over Windows NT and Darwin any day.
Been using linux for about 3 years now and never used Windows since then. BSD for about 2.

Yeah? I have a Windows partition in case a game comes out that I want to play that isn't available on Linux but that's rare these days. I mainly play Indie titles now as I've gotten bored of the same rehashed shit that's in most "triple A" games. If it meets all your needs, Linux is great. But that doesn't apply to everyone. So maybe I'm not a fanboy?

I do. It's like an addiction after awhile. Got Proxmox, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Desktop, and 4 Arch installs on bare metal, and a ton of utilities and specific use distros virtualized. Every day I struggle to justify keeping my Windows computer. I can only rationalize it with the amount of effort and time I put into pirating all of the games I have.

I uninstalled Windows in 2007

I do, but I have a confession to make.

I'm not a Linux fanboy. I don't use it because I think that Linux is good. I use it because I honestly think that Windows has become completely fucking unusable. For me at least. If Microsoft would release a version of Windows that has no bullshit attached to it, I might reconsider dual booting again...

I only have Linux on both my computers. Ubuntu Mate on my home pc, and Arch on my laptop. I do all my work on them, never had a single problem. The only reason I had Windows in the last 4 years alongside Linux (wiped them like 6 months ago) is that I was recording music and my very old sound card didn't have drivers for Linux (also the recording software is not on par with Cubase). When I get a new computer and sound card I'll put Windows 10 on it but only log in that for recording and video editing.

I used to, but I don't do now :(

Windows is trash tho, we only use it because we are forced to. Windows is like throwing up... Most people would not have anything to do with it unless they are compelled to.

If you use LibreOffice for writing, I recommend you use this slackbuild:
slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/office/libreoffice/
It's easier and faster to get installed (at least for me).

Used Linux for 2 years then gave up because life is too short to edit config files to get everything working after an update again.

Arch - laptop
Arch - dekstop
Debian - home server

Abandoned windows years ago.

Games? I play games on linux. Mainly CS:GO but all my steam games run great, minecraft, WoW, etc.

OP here, I actually called Linux an "OS" on PURPOSE to piss off a fanboy. Looks like it worked!

Fan boys don't do anyone any good. I just use what I find to work best. Been on Linux for over 3 years and it's a good time.

I do fool around with Linux on some old machines, but I can't afford to have it as primary OS on my daily driver because I do actual work on it.

you would ever need the duckduckgo extension?

Thank you very much for that. I was just tinkering with Calligra, but will try this too. I like Libre Office.

What is your "actual" work? I fix computers using the incredible amount of utility available on any Linux OS.

Only on my laptop. Nneed windows for schoolwork and i would dual boot but my wireless adapter is a broadcom chip so linux is borderline impossible to get it working on

yeah, i hate accidentally using google

their searches are becoming... weird to say the least

just go to about:preferences and set the search engine to duckduckgo, there's no need for any extension

pic rel, belive or not

>What is your "actual" work?
I'm a CPA.

Closing in on 20 years. It all began because Microsoft wouldn't let me use SMP (dual celeron was the shit) and the TV card (win95 drivers only) I had at the same time.
I write this on a Gentoo install nearly as old as Sup Forums.

i know

but whenever i go there i get this urge to delete google, and i do use it occasionally when i search for android or work related stuff

What software do you depend on? O365 would have decent (?) support for Excel i you needed that.

Doubt quickbooks/quicken or any of that stuff is compatible.

with ddg you can use google too
try it
search "
!g using google
"
they're !bangs

Well the gap with Linux and Windows games is shrinking. More developers are supporting Linux now. The irony is also that it runs better on it than on Windows in certain instances.

youtu.be/yXr8bqzf45Y

This video is a great example of Linux being able to play video games relatively well even on the newest Graphics cards.

nifty

go to Sup Forumscatalog
ctrl+f
enter "Linux"
32 matches
so maybe 32?
dunno just spitballing here but 32 seems like plausible number

it's harder to pirate them tho

are you me?
Using Linux since ubuntu 7.04

It's not hard if you go to places, lad. ;^)

That is true but like everything else the more people on the platform the more possible things will be to get will happen. Right now Linux has an install base is 2.3% while Apple has 3.1%. if Linux ever surpasses Apple that would be huge enough to get people to come over.

Just dual boot if you have to.

I do, bitch.

gnome is really nice. would use it more if I could easily tile windows with keyboard in it.

there's a few games on rutracker, but even if you get them, it's a pain in the ass to handle the dependencies and shit like that

me, faggot

Super+←|→|↑|↓
It's still kind of shitty tho, there's some improvements on gnome 3 tho

Not as primary as only fgt

Primary and ONLY

Excel, Outlook, AnyConnect, CaseWare, SAP, Lync, some other stuff...

What about searching for dependencies on official website or steam?
surely there should be somewhere a list

yeah... that wont happen anytime soon. fair point

yeah, it is shitty...
I use custom keybinds for easier navigation in GNOME without mouse, but it's just not same as wm...
But from all DEs GNOME surely is best one.

gnome 3.26*

I use Qubes with a Win7 VM routed through a locked down firewall. You wouldn't believe the garbage that it tries to phone home with.

I use it as my only OS. Why?

>I mainly play Indie titles now as I've gotten bored of the same rehashed shit that's in most "triple A" games.
I never understood how "there are very few triple A games for Linux" was supposed to be an argument against using it for gaming. I get MORE entertainment out of indie games than I do out of AAA games.

not sure what fanboy is supposed to mean but yes i do use debian stable primarily at home, a few exceptions like my pfsense firewall, might have a few centos servers sitting around, and a couple windows computers for the occasional game or just messing around with

I do.

Debian on desktop, Void on laptop. I've been using Linux as my only OS since 2004.

Makes a good argument in that they're not holding a person back. I too find indie titles being the only way to experience fresh gameplay. Better (imo) games for less cash on my native platform. Can't beat it.

>endorsing canonical

>implying all Linux users are ricers

Not even really a 'fanboy' but while my workstation is a modern Mac, I often interface with it remotely at least 60% of the time from an old Thinkpad (pre-ME era) running Debian because I like the keyboard and form factor better.

linux itself is not an OS.
also me
i uninstalled windows 10 a while ago and havent had any reason to go back. not a single reason.

I do less and less gaymin on PC as time goes on. All I used windows for is my online classes, I use my laptop running Arch for everyday use.

I use Debian as my main OS. Linux is a kernel. I haven't used any Micropoo products in nearly a decade because they're shit.

i dont know man, DX 12 isnt that bad

how come you don't use windows 10 ltsb in that case?

it's awful

I only use Linux. When I go to work, a non tech job, I run Windows 7 in virtualbox. Other than that, I run Linux exclusively

I use it as my secondary OS because I use OpenBSD as my primary OS.

still use nt5 and 10, most of my development is cross-platform now, and assumes linux, do all my nt-dev in a cygnus or msys shell anyway, end up doing ports a lot

>Which is 99% of what an OS is, retard.
That isn't gayest shit I have read today but it's up there.

count me in

good man

at least you kind of know what linux is doing when it's installing updates

windows is just for the full retarded

Solus is pretty good
> inb4 shut up kevin

Kevin, please stop. You're a good kid, don't throw your life away so recklessly

I haven't used anything but Linux in 5 years.

After switching my os to Ubuntu at work I've pretty much fully embraced Linux at home. I do still have a windows laptop for the games that I never play.

next time I have the money to build a new pc, I can finally make the switch
m.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI

If your pc can run windows, it can run linux.

true, but I can't run a windows vm with natural pci-e video passthrough for games

I do. Games are for children. Only things i miss are photoshop and lightroom also i could import raw photos straight from camera on Mac. Now i need to use SSD card reader.

ofc

I used Linux as my primary desktop from 1993 to just recently. I put up with the abomination that was GNOME 3 for 5 years and finally called it quits. Now I use Windows 10 for my personal systems. I still have to use Linux at work, which is fine, I only use the terminal and a web browser for work anyway. And Slack (ugh, KILL ME NOW I FUCKING HATE SLACK)

I haven't had a Windows install outside of a VM in ~8 years.

OpenBSD > FreeBSD > Windows > GNU/Linux

>OpenBSD > FreeBSD > Windows
true
>OpenBSD > FreeBSD > GNU/Linux
true
>Windows > GNU/Linux
weak attempt at bait

I'm not joking. I've not enjoyed any GNU/Linux distribution I've tried. Debian, Fedora, they're all shit. The least shitty was OpenSUSE, but even then.

>implying there's a difference between any of them
I know you're just an baiting shitposter, but I'm interested in how you defend this one
>Windows > GNU/Linux

How many Windows fanboys actually use Windows as their primary OS?

>Putting up with gnome 3 for years, when you don't like it.
>Not just changing your desktop environment which takes 3 minutes at most
>You'd know this if you actually used Linux for over a month, much less a decade
Nice false flag