Yes this is a Linux hate thread

> linux still doesnt work with two GCC compilers at the same time

I believe Windows fixed .dll hell 25 years ago. What's the hold up with Linux?
I'm pretty sick of seeing "/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found"

pic related, another genius move by Linux distro "opensuse". In order to upgrade, you simply have to edit a bunch of system configs by hand! How can Windows ever recover with its ultra convenient automatic silent safe undoable background update?

Other urls found in this thread:

hub.docker.com/_/gcc/
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
betanews.com/2016/06/10/microsoft-visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-telemetry/
infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

arch doesn't have this problem
>inb4 le X broken
no problems unless you're using xorg-git, then you're a fucking retard
>inb4 le xorg.conf
never touched it in my life

Dont use an out of date distro that has 5 billion copies of libs because they dont keep up with the most current version of programs.

Updates and upgrades are not the same. On opensuse the modification of the repos is one possible way to upgrade your OS. But you can also go the Windows way - insert a DVD and press upgrade.

>linux still doesnt work with two GCC compilers at the same time
It actually can, you are a fucking moron

Should have installed Gentoo

install source mage GNU plus linux

chroot you fucking mongo nigger

It has shit performance on games, otherwise I would have switched to it ages ago. Also when dual booting the grub thing fucked up my Windows 7 boot so I had to do a startup repair.

Can't you just use Docker?

hub.docker.com/_/gcc/

Gentoo handles that problem more gracefully than even Windows.

Unironically this. Gentoo is the best at having multiple versions of the same package installed.

This feels kind of overkill, but is probably the best way to solve OP's drama.

>le
Go back to the containment website, retard

this is your daily reminder that rage comic memes began in Sup Forums

Linux users still think putting every fucking library in /lib is better than your program better put every fucking thing library it needs under /programs/your_app/your_app's_shit. The correct solution may waste a few 100 MBs of duplicated libraries, but this kind of shit never happens.

>Some guy is retarded about something in Linux
>The solution is actually, unironically, undeniably Gentoo
Happens every time.

So did cat memes but they're still normie cancer you KYM redditor faggot

>Be non compsci retard
>download Opensuse iso
>install
>just werks
What is the problem here? Why hate something that's free? Go pay for a mac if you don't like it.

>Yes this is a Linux hate thread
Ok, i see two possibilities. The first one is that you're just trying to get help being passive-agressive. In that case see pic related and the next time use the /sqt/ or the /fglt/.

The second possibility is that this is actually a designated shilling thread with the only purpose of astroturf. If i'm wrong you wouldn't mind if i put some pasta here:

Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

$ gcc-6 --version
gcc-6 (Debian 6.4.0-3) 6.4.0 20170805

$ gcc-7 --version
gcc-7 (Debian 7.1.0-13) 7.1.0

Must be magic!

>he doesn't know about ironic le
go back to 10gag thanks bye

What boils is me the PS3 and PS4 run on OpenBSD, and the PS2 ran on a IRIX based system. Why the hell don't devs use their non directx knowledge from those consoles for Linux? Easy ports, presumably. Doesn't Vulkan run on Linux? Failing that, Doom proves that Opengl 4.5 isn't missing a thing.

>linux still doesnt work with two GCC compilers at the same time
why would anyone lie like this?

>I am shit at Linux and am having trouble using two different compilers
>Linux sucks
You're so bad it's hilarious

>PS4 run on OpenBSD,

no, I already fixed all this stuff myself. I just think Linux users are very delusion when it comes to the Linux vs. Windows debate.
Windows is about ~3-7 times better on average for normal users in real world scenarios.
Yes that's 700% better.

I thought summer was over
Go away you newfag

this
i used the netistall image to upgrade, painless and ez-pz
for your health

is that improvement measured in megabytes or megahertz?

>spend 4 hours compiling a package
>it errors out
>spend 4 hours compiling the package again
I know for a fact it compiles hundreds of parts separately to build this. Why does it delete everything because of one error in one part?

magic!
% gcc --version | head -n1; gcc-5 --version | head -n1
gcc (GCC) 7.1.1 20170630
gcc-5 (GCC) 5.4.0

>waterfox gets updated to 55.0.1 version
>HURR GLIBCXX_14.88 NOT FOUND FUCK YOU
I am seriously considering some things

>following an installation guide for something that isnt available in the repository
>have to build tools to compile the application
>newer version build tools available than in the guide
>use the newer version, build fails
>use the version in the guide, works fine
>no warning in the guide that you must use a particular version
>cant compile the latest version of the application because it requires a newer version of the build tools
Linux is fine and all but my god, you spend an hour or two compiling some package that you're probably going to ever use one time to compile some other application and it fucking errors out for some reason or another, and the other application is going to take hours to compile too and if that errors out then you might have to go back and rebuild the other package in a different version.

Building shit from source is an absolute pile of dicks.

Bro and then when you installed the new version, a bunch of other shit breaks.

And again, if you had used Gentoo, this wouldn't be a problem because Gentoo is the designated compiling distro. Install it now.

>Lying on your deathbed
>Realizing you spent 10% of your whole existing compiling packages and manually editing config-files for your tiling-wm-anime-operating-system.

No, PS4 is on FreeBSD

Dunno if this would actually help.
If it's not in portage then it could still end up just as much of a problem.

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

>Use macos or windows
>everything sets up and just works even if you're an inbred monkey
>Use linux
>nothing works at all, have to spend your life googling solutions to the most basic things all because you wanted good boy points on a taiwanese flip phone trading board
>the only way linux is usable on the desktop is if someone like google steps in and botnets it up so shit just werks
Truly gets the neurons firing!

But user-kun, Windows totally spies on you! I use Linux, so I can review the source-code (which I don't do in reality, I just hope other people point out flaws and fix them)!
Sadly, compiling is exhausting and takes a lot of time so I just install binary packages from a repo that I blindly trust!

Butthurt botnet winfags in this thread trying to justify the Borg. GNU/Linux is the only OS for PC's. Your botnetted proprietary Windoze is not welcome here. Your OS does not belong to you therefore your PC is not a PC it is a windows computer, or W.C for short.

Use chroot for fuck's sake.

I wish more people actually did review source shit, maybe the world would be so much better. But alas, all we have are a bunch of nerdy tryhards desperate to fit in.
What's worse, is they won't ever realize how retarded they're being because the time invested into making their desktop work = sunk cost fallacy.

The windows domination is annoying, because they make idiotic decisions all the time, but fuck the "Linux Way". Autists want to ruin everything to mimic their lives.

this hits too close to home, fuck linux devs

Wincuck 10 can't even run GCC naturally

>waterfox
lel

> linux still doesnt work with two GCC compilers at the same time
what do you mean ?
can't you just create a chroot ?

Microsoft® Windows™ 10 can natively run ELF binaries including GCC.

GoboLinux tried to do that and nobody knows them.
Even, they where accused of trying to pandering Windows migrants.
macOS does something similar to that.

Because developing for linux it's a fucking nightmare.

gobolinux is a research OS, they even removed the GUI so normies wouldnt try it.

the next chance is NixOS but I'm not sure how mature it is, their weird invented functional 'muh haskell' config language pisses me off.
It's always autistic shit like that, that makes linux fail.

hopefully flatpak will change this

They always try over enginnered or over complicated things like meme language as you said.
macOS solves the problem in a way so effective that people believe that they only have to put or delete folders. And they have package management helping with that.
I bet that this issue will be solved with the help of Lennart: Copying macOS but in a overenginnered bloated way, like all lennartware.

> fixed .dll hell 25 years ago
Lolnope. Just 16, with the release of Windows XP.
> What's the hold up with Linux?
THis is the Linux way of fixing it, you can't have two different versions of the same software because it can overwrite dependecnies of the other copy.
Except that you can if you compile it with your own prefix, so it will store all the dependencies in the different place. Also LXC at your service.

This, Windows has many flaws but it is an absolute pleasure to develop for in most cases. Although, developing ON Windows is a pain and perhaps ironically I always use Linux to develop software for Windows.

DLL hell hasn't been a major problem in Windows since Win32

>Except that you can if you compile it with your own prefix, so it will store all the dependencies in the different place. Also LXC at your service.

I just have different docker container for my various versions of nano.

you can have a runscript that changes LD_LIBRARY_PATH to current dir when it runs your application (see the linux version of teamspeak for example)

>macOS solves the problem in a way so effective that people believe that they only have to put or delete folders.
look at /usr/share/applications
it'd be possible to do stuff right with file manager support

>Autistic wincuck shit takes 5 GB of botnet download just to get a working C++ IDE
>IDE is a slow, unresponsive POS
>Compiler has embeds telemetry into binaries
>Otherwise do some mental gymnastics and emulate Linux
Yeah no, I am installing MSVS right NOW, and I have 3GB more to download+install. Fuck that trash, in fact, if I see one more hindrance I'll get rid of the last windows installation in my machines with 0 (ZERO) hesitation.

Pic related

>>Compiler has embeds telemetry into binaries

Proof?

betanews.com/2016/06/10/microsoft-visual-studio-2015-c-compiler-telemetry/

infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry

This has been removed since Update 3 of VS2015 and was supposedly only included by accident.

Fuck that shit, I won't even wait for the botnet IDE to finish. Going to install Manjaro in that shit

``accident``
LMAO

>removed
>only included by accident.
People aren't stupid

I completely and ironically use GNU/Linux because it actually just works for me, and Windows is literally the worst operating system ever devised. I appreciate free software, but I'm certainly no freetard.

You can't hide this sort of behaviour so it's very unlikely that MS thought that this would remain undetected and included it as a means of spying...
Just open your binary in Olly or IDA und you'll see what's going on.

I installed Kubuntu 17.04 literally 10 minutes ago, tried to open the file explorer and bam:
>Dolphin crashes

It still has that weird bug of WRiting LIke THis. There's no control panel for Intel Graphics to adjust the saturation so I'm basically looking at a white and grey laptop monitor.
Oh, and the keyboard FN keys don't work after installing but work during the live demo lmao.

linux can also "natively" run PE binaries with wine

>X
found grandpa

Too late for that.
Good bye, microtrash, it's been a bumpy ride. There goes my last windows installation.

running stuff through xwayland sucks

>Going to install Manjaro in that shit

I heard the binary repos of Manjaro got hacked and some packages now contain backdoors by the NSA. You can't disproof this claim so you'll have to accept that you are in the same cuck-boat as every windows and mac-user out there.

>I have literally never programmed in my entire life
I can't tell if this is bait or not. Windows doesn't even come with a compiler. If you're using libraries that aren't proprietary platform dependent horseshit, any UNIX like operating system is going to be a million mils better.

Done.
Wincuckolds stay cucked

Sup Forums say amdgpu is better now but i don't get it. isn't it using mesa like radeon? why is radeon shit then (for example wine wow.exe -opengl)

Jesus christ how horrifying. I don't think any other companies stooped so low

>installing closed source binaries blindly purely on trust is somehow better

>Some guy at my college tells me as a CS student I should be using linux "on the metal" exclusively for at least my first two years

Some of these guys I swear

It's not better, it's absolutely identical. We both don't know what our software does.

Invest that time in social drinking, at least you won't die alone

mesa is a graphics library implementing opengl
radeon and amdgpu are kernel drivers
amdgpu is a newer driver that is being developed by amd itself
I can't recall whether radeon was a community project like nouveau or the role of the X server amdgpu/radeon modules (I assume they're largely obsolete now)

>head
sed 1q

>kubuntu sucks
that's why they started kde neon

Had to Google this.
Are there any downsides to flatpak?

>it's absolutely identical.
but it's not
we can visit git if we want
>ib4 binaries
install gentoo

Eh, if you want to be pedantic, it's going to use GNOME runtime as a dependency AFAIK. There's also snaps and AppImage

>be cs student
>don't use "unix"
what kind of a man is you

>Invest that time in social drinking, at least you won't die alone
this desu

He's a koder

Most people in CS with me just run it in a VM. Have the best of both worlds [spoiler]Just backup your fucking files from the VM[/spoiler]

I was only talking about binary packages. But still, how often did you actually validate the sourcecode of your packages?
Fully checked them for backdoors? Never, just be honest.

So use windows then, idiot. Holy fucking shit.. You're a big boy aren't you? This isn't complicated.

Reminder: Use the software that you're most productive with, whether it's linux, bsd, macos, or windows. Use it and shut the fuck up. Your autism is just unbearable. Do you really need Sup Forums's approval 24x7? Or are you capable of having an original thought?

you can easily share directories with the host in virtualbox
just be careful not to create a file that cannot be deleted

sudo pacman -Rnd sadness

only bc im illiterate altho i have checked out a few yes

nice blog where can i subscribe