How many of u have or plan getting a 144hz display for gaming

how many of u have or plan getting a 144hz display for gaming

Other urls found in this thread:

blurbusters.com/4k-120hz-with-bonus-240hz-and-480hz-modes/
testufo.com/
hardforum.com/threads/seiki-se50uy04-3840x2160-50-tv-1300.1756171/page-53#post-1043067325
blurbusters.com/freesync/list-of-freesync-monitors/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I do. Long story short, I will never consider a small b-120hz display for gaming anymore. It really makes a difference.

I just got an Acer that has 144hz refresh rate. It's a noticable difference in fps. Seeing as theyre as cheap as 200 dollars or less now, they're definitely a gaming necessity imo.

If you play fps or fighting games the jump to 144hz is a massive quality of life upgrade. Worth every penny if you've got the machine to go along with it.

Honestly the only game worth playing is on PS4 and runs at a maximum of 30fps, usually less than that. Bloodborne for you scrubs.

i like to play on high/ultra settings with my r9 290x so 1080p 75hz IPS is good enough for now.

aren't most fighting games locked at 60fps?

Don't bother with 144hz. There's a 28" and 39" modkit coming out for 4k@120hz or 4k@240hz

blurbusters.com/4k-120hz-with-bonus-240hz-and-480hz-modes/

Totally worth it, coming from someone with 1440p 144hz and a Gtx 980. Playing on medium settings in most games and getting the amazing resolution and framerate is totally worth it.

Got a 144hz for my last build, I could see it but I couldn't see more than a hundred dollars worth of it so I guess no.

I like it and all, but it's a pretty minor difference.

Yeah but don't tell him. Sup Forums tards aren't smart people.

got a 165hz monitor (1440p) , why'd you ask?

Did you play any first person shooters or fighting games? If so and you did not see a noticeable difference, your rig may be bottlenecking you there.

I have a 144hz but I can't even tell the difference. Am I doing something wrong?

I play a few FPSs, no fighting games. It's noticeable, it's just huge. I'm getting over 200fps. Like it's visually it's a bit more appealing but in terms of actual playability, ehh. Maybe I just suck but my reaction time isn't such that getting a frame a sixtieth of a second earlier is going to make a difference.

mate...fighting games are locked at 60 at maximum

are you sure it's actually running at 144

>it's just huge
just not*

Huge difference between 60-144
Tiny barely noticeable difference between 144-240

Oh, I will say for whatever reason new doom actually looks really different at 144hz. Like I'm not actually sure I like it, it's almost too smooth. Sometimes I just wiggle my mouse around while standing still and am like "what the fuck is going on". It's hard to explain.

reminder to enable strobing backlights/ulmb

yes when I turn in vsync the fps counter gets capped at 144

are you using windows? have you actually set your display to 144hz? it defaults to 60hz.

the difference is night and day

The 4k is what interests me. I'm now waiting for 4k at 144 monitor so I'm set for the next 8 years

I was using windows when I used it with games and I haven't tested any games with it on Linux. I have set it to 144hz in the settings on both OSes

testufo.com/

if you honestly can't tell the difference, you need to get your eyes checked.

I have one. I'll never buy a 60hz panel again. Going to be moving the monitor in ops pic to a secondary and getting the new Samsung 27 inch 1440p144hz HDR quantum dot freesync curved next month.
If you are tight on cash at least go 75hz. It's also nice for just normal shit. Low latency text editors feel amazing when I program and upscaling video is cool. Also mouse cursor, moving windows, and scrolling looks awesome.

Is there a 144Hz IPS panel that looks as good as an Ultrasharp yet?

After switching to 120 hz , everything below is cancer for my eyes .

I fell for the 4k meme

how do 24 fps movies play on a 144 Hz monitor, is the motion smooth and "cinematic"? i like to watch movies as well as play games.

got a 1440x900 @ 60Hz, can't overclock it, and a 1366x768 @ 71Hz

> It works on an off-the-shelf 4K 120Hz LCD
those don't exist though

my xl2430 should be coming in on thursday or something. going to be dank when i play esports games such as csgo

I just need a nice big 4ķ display.

consolefag

I'll probably get a 144hz Freesync monitor if Vega 56 is ever available for MSRP

So no, I don't plan on getting on this decade

I have a 166hz gsync monitor and I strongly recommend 144+hz and gsync.

When the fps drops to 75 or 80 you really notice how shitty it looks even though the latency doesn't suffer much.

You can't go back once you try it.

unless you are playing FPS and/or older RTS games 144hz is going to be entirely worthless to you

even on FPS games you have to be playing at the highest level of play to get the most use out of it, your the equivalent of a macfag if you buy a 144hz but exclusively play on valves 64 tick shit servers

Just toss in a big number and some flashy advertising and you got 'em. It's why we have dumb-dumbs that buy new gaming CPUs every year/

You can tell people like this haven't tried it because its insanely smoother and makes a huge QOL difference even if you don't play competitively.

Its basically the new can't see more than 30fps argument that console fags use.

>4k@120hz or 4k@240hz
It's only 120 Hz at 4k. 240 Hz and higher (up to 480 Hz at 960x540) are only at lower resolutions but it's still an important step forward because it has the modes available in the first place and has an adjustable strobing backlight controller too. Hopefully there's a future revision because the M280DGJ-L30 panel the designer chose is super slow and he's not built any overdrive into the controller to keep costs down so while it'll have smaller gaps between frames and less input lag it'll almost certainly be worse for motion clarity than other strobing backlight displays that have proper overdrive.

It's just a weirdly formed statement since LCD panels don't have a refresh rate of their own at all. It's entirely up to the controller board, he probably should have left "120Hz" out entirely to make more sense.

poorfag detected

>It's just a weirdly formed statement since LCD panels don't have a refresh rate of their own at all. It's entirely up to the controller board, he probably should have left "120Hz" out entirely to make more sense.

current cables aren't even capable of delivering more information than 4k@60fps so its a bogus article anyways

DP 1.4 can, but if you'd actually bother to read the article or the designer's page you'd see this one uses two DP 1.2 connnections and MST for 120 Hz at 4k.

typo

dual display port can
hardforum.com/threads/seiki-se50uy04-3840x2160-50-tv-1300.1756171/page-53#post-1043067325

someone should probably make a thread for it, but I've already bought my 39" kit and I don't care enough

Oh ye.
Going from 144 to 60 at my parents house may have given me a tad of motion sickness to get used to it again.

I have a 144hz monitor.
but only a r9 290 because FUCKING MINERS JACKED UP THE PRICES ON 1070S THOSE FUCKING CRYPTOJEWS

Waiting for
>4k (run most vidya at 2k of course)
>120hz
>IPS or at least VA
>Muh Freesync
>Cheap

I use one and I really enjoy it for fps games but I would say it mostly just feels like a quality of life change.

Also something to be aware of with windows 10 is if you mix refresh rates(main monitor 144hz and secondary 60hz) you will have serious issues if there is any movement at all on the second screen, windows forced vsync with fuck your 144hz in the ass to match it with the 60hz one.

This problem goes away if you play a game in fullscreen exclusive mode, but its EXTREMELY frustrating when you are not in games and your refresh rate gets fucked constantly by windows.

If they make 4k 144hz+ I will

Planning to get one in a month or two once I can save up for it. Found a good asus one that has 1ms response time.

can always check off craigslist. hell some refurbs arent so bad either

I have used one for 2 years now, best PC purchase of my life.

what are those glasses in the bottom-right corner?

bottom left. gunnars for elite gaymen experience my dude

f.lux in glasses form

i've been using a 144 hz monitor for around 3 years now, every time i try a 60hz monitor i cringe

>the only 1440 144hz with neutral hardware strobing is 2.25 times the price of a non-strobing
>more expensive that something with Goy-Sync
hardware strobing cannot be that fucking expensive

i chose 4k instead. not for gaming primarily though. id prefer it over 144hz

its not as big a difference, but the massive jump is still there.

144hz isn't just for gaming,
Had a 144 set up next to a 60 till the 60 died, just dragging a file on the 144 then over to the 60 showed how fucking stuttery it is.

Its one of those things that after you can see it its fucking painful to use 60hz.

Goy-Sync often includes a ULMB strobing

Getting 2k or 60hz+ monitor for me is like spoiling a child, then all I would want to do is to play in 2k and 120fps, when my hardware isn't upto it.

After switching to 144hz, I can 100% say I cannot ever go back to 60hz again.

Yes, best thing I ever did... Even paid for G-Sync tax which removed screen tearing, gaming has never looked better.

Have one, its perfect

144hz is kind of shitty

its amazing for the first 4 hours
then after that you get used to it

but if you switch back to 60hz you'll realize you've perma fucked your brain

>144hz
>4.8x 30fps
>2.4x 60fps

So every video will play like ass on it?

are gunnar glasses actually good? two of my coworkers wear them.

I already have for like 3 years now. I can never go back now.

Just change the screen refresh rate? MPC-HC at the very least can change refresh rates automatically and any player with a fullscreen exclusive mode should work with adaptive sync. Not to mention the vast majority of films are 23.976 ("24") fps and won't cause any problems.

>MPC-HC at the very least can change refresh rates automatically

In fullscreen or all the time?

Doesn't change unless you go fullscreen but can be configured to initially start in fullscreen stay after you go back to windowed.

anons I want a monitor for casual gaming, watching movies and series, shall I go with:

1440p/60hz/IPS
or
1080p/144hz/TN/MEMESYNC

I dont think 2k means what most of you think it does

144hz every time

IF you have always been on TN stay with TN, BUT it it's so shit going from IPS to TN

Inform us what it means?

hd squared

but thats 4k

I bought some because of the meme. They are only nice if you are gaming after dark, or for absurd amounts of time.

If you are really curious, pick up a used pair on amazon. Think I only paid like $28.

Any comments on the ultrawides like PG348Q from Asus? 100hz, 3440x1440, IPS, G-Sync. Right now I have a high-end 27" 1440p Eizo and I'm pretty pleased with this one.

thats fhd squared. hd is 720p

reason i ask is my work has me looking at a computer for basically 8 hours

>8 hours
pleb

thats a 9 to 5 job though

Just to let everyone know there are very few Freesync monitors that support motion blur reduction which is making me kinda pissed at my Acer XF270HUA. Thanks for making me feel miserable.

blurbusters.com/freesync/list-of-freesync-monitors/

>u

I really like my monitors. But as soon as there is a Freesync 2 - IPS colour tier - Ultrawide monitor I'll be upgrading.

I'll sell my pair of 144Hz 1080p TN panels.

Unless you're paying primo for a super high quality panel, the shortcomings of TN are too great. I'd have preferred a high DPI, Ultra wide and good colour monitor more than what I've got now.

>tfw only 60hz
>tfw hertzlet

Totally dude. Your eyes are incapable of seeing the difference but it's like your mind can and it's just like that feeling of at least i'm not some pleb gaming on 60 hz refresh rate.
Best money I ever spent.

only popular reddit games from Bethesda are locked to 60FPS (Fallout 4, Skyrim etc)

the graphics engine (which is over a decade old) has its physics engine tied to frame rate, so if you try to disable the FPS lock, the game will get extremely fucked.

>when you decrease your mouse's DPI from 1750 to 1250 on your 1080P 144Hz monitor

holy shit

I have 144hz 1440p gysnc. dont regret buying it at all.

>only popular reddit games from Bethesda are locked to 60FPS (Fallout 4, Skyrim etc)

yes those games are locked but so so many others also are, not just "popular reddit games".

>Your eyes are incapable of seeing the difference
False

No games taken seriously is

This, although I have a gtx 970
I would buy a 144hz but IPS ones are too expensive

Proof you didn't even read the article.