/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Epyc Eclipse Edition

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-p2217h-monitor/pd)?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dYcJr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/PBdBVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/bz8fbj
amazon.com/Samsung-24-Inch-Curved-Monitor-C24FG70/dp/B01M1DEEYP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503371207&sr=8-3&keywords=Samsung C24FG70
pcpartpicker.com/list/2kCynn
pcpartpicker.com/list/6QGrFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/4kgkM8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NJpfbj
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm having a hard time choosing as workstation gpu. I'm on a 250-450$ Canadian budget for one. Will work with ecabinet and sketchup.

Should I buy quadro, firepro or just a high memory gaming card for same price?

>no i7

>
>Acer H236HL bid
Other user here, currently with a RX 480 and an old shitty BenQ RL2240H, looking for a new monitor but still poor to buy something like 1080p/144hz or 1440/60hz. Is that Acer good enough over a Dell P2217H (dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-p2217h-monitor/pd)? Planning to do dual-monitor because work related stuff while using the newer only to play vidya.

An i7 is something you take with you when you go camping so you have something to start fires with.

firepro

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dYcJr7

Alright lads, what do you think? I've already purchased it. I just want to see what you guys think of it.

>no SSD
>4x4 DIM sticks
>bronze psu
could be a lot worse but these were fuck ups

wait for 1070 prices to go back down, you wont get anything better in that price range

>No SSD
>Quad channel RAM
>On dual channel board
>Intel

>Intel
Is your home heater broken?
Are you preparing to keep warm for Winter?

Whoops, I forgot to change the fact that it's no longer 4x4 ram, it's 2x8.

With the speed of the shipping, I can buy an SSD any time and it'll probably come faster than the rest of the parts.

As for the PSU, yeah, I'm not particularly proud of it, but I can always get another one.

>>intel
>ryzen

>>ryzen
>intel

>>>intel
>>ryzen

We can do this all day, man.

I just prefer Intel, the same way most of you here prefer Ryzen.

>I just prefer

Do you not base your preference on objective facts?

You'll at least save money on home heating this winter

nice try shill

DELID DIS

2.5'' SDD or M.2 SDD

Still learning. Which one and why?

is 3.7GHz overclock with 1.28v reasonable for a 1700 with a wraith spire?

Look, I've watched and seen plenty of benchmarks between the two, and from what I've seen is that the recommendation was the i7 7700k.

>shill
>7700k objectively produces MUCH more heat and uses MUCH more wattage than a comparable Ryzen processor

2.5" is good enough and the speed is not that different for gaming

Im making a pc just for music recording and production. Where can i cheap out on this build. pcpartpicker.com/list/PBdBVY

>Intel Core i9 having heat issues
>First eclipse of the moon in fucking forever
What is going in this timeline?

For what use? Ryzen hits similar averages and minimums, its only the spikes where intel has got a lead lol

For 144 fps gaming.
However. benchmarks are old and bios and software updates have changed things. There's only a 2 fps difference between the Ryzen 7 1700 and the i7 7700k not, and while the i7 is maxed out in games nowadays, the Ryzen chip still has untapped potential under the hood for software to explore.

M.2 performs the same as normal SSD at higher price but has a nice bonus of not requiring cables.

Take another look at those benchmarks. The Intel processors do indeed take the lead in FPS... when the resources the game requires are low. Put it into a CPU-heavy game though, and the Ryzen chips win every time
This isn't opinion. It's fact.

Welp. Maybe another time. Maybe someday I'll switch over to AMD, but for now (since I bought everything already) I'll just stick to Intel.

>i9 is behelit

>"best cpu for gameings 100fps" the post

t. normie faggot

is the 3gb gtx 1060 a good replacement for a rx 570? or do I wait for the prices to be reasonable?

The 7700k has it's uses if you want to squeeze every single frame out of what you're playing. It has no other use other than gaming though. If budget isn't a problem for you the 7700k is the best gaming cpu you can get.

wew, somebody's mad that they won't get their commission from shilling to strangers

First build, advice appreciated.
pcpartpicker.com/list/bz8fbj

>2017
>Buying something with 3GB of VRAM
No. Either 1060 6GB or 580.
The 570 isn't that bad. If you have money for an upgrade, see how much you can sell your 570 for and then buy a nice 1080 which should set you for the next 3 years minimum.

Lose the H7 unless you are doing heavy OC. Get a seasonic PSU over a corsair one. Deathadder is garbage, get a G Pro or G403 instead.

Just moved my system to a new case, along with replacing the mobo/cpu. 2 of my 3 hard drives are showing up (the ssd with win10 on it) and my 1TB hdd, but my 2 TB isnt showing up in windows, speccy, or disk manager. I've checked the cables and swapped the sata for a different one just in case but I can't figure out why it's not showing. Any ideas?

Would you replace the h7 with a cheaper CPU cooler or leave it off completely?

>Find someone selling all the hardware I need on Craigslist because their PC won't start up
>Offer to help them fix it instead

H7 is about as cheap as you should go. Only cheaper one i recommend is the 212. But the stock fan that comes with the 1600 is pretty decent and allows a healthy overclock.

what the fuck is wrong with you

Very noble. I hope you're not offering to fix it for free.

This I do not know.

I actually debated offering them parts if I can spare them.

Yeah sounds alright

So how much can you overclock a ryzen 1600 without needing to use a new fan from the stock one?

>I actually debated offering them parts if I can spare them.
I hope it is a really hot girl you are doing this for.

what were the parts and were they cheap?

>intel is Griffith
>amd is Guts

oh shit

There are plenty of benchmarks online. You can read it up.

should i get the
BenQ GW2760HS 27" Full HD VA LED Monitor for $279
ViewSonic VA2719-2K 27" WQHD 5MS IPS LED Monitor for $299
Samsung LS27F350 27" Full HD PLS 4MS LED FreeSync Monitor for $239
or
BenQ PD2700Q 27" WQHD sRGB Designer IPS LED Monitor for $599 (and blow my budget)
Its for digital art not gaming but i dont really want to spend too much

No. They aren't cheap. I'm trying to diagnose the issue right now via garbled, autocorrect-butchered paragraphs.

IPS has the best color representation so you should always be going for IPS if you are doing anything art/production. So it is either the Viewsonic or BenQ 599

The ViewSonic because I don't know who wants some dude's name on their monitor, birds are the way to go

I figured it out, it was because I'm an idiot.

What can cause a computer to just power cycle and crash? Because that's the issue this dude is having. He says he has new RAM.

I'm thinking motherboard.

have you tried plugging the sata cable into a different sata port on your motherboard?

is it the temps or did he overclock too much? Unstability?

I am noob at this

Depends on how the computer is crashing. A hard crash might be indication of faulty PSU. A crash which requires you to power cycle might be a bad driver or faulty motherboard.

>I actually debated offering them parts if I can spare them

oh man, you better charge for at least THAT.

Is it actually reaching the BIOS? If not, is it POSTing? Power cycling can be caused by a lot of things.

i actually cant figure out the differences between the two besides the price being doubled and the benQ having a better stand

benq isnt a name too, bring enjoyment n quality of life

sRGB vs RGB monitor.

He says that it'll power cycle and if he actually manages to get it to Windows it'll just crash. But everything is sort of garbled because he's typing on a phone with autocorrect on. Either a kid or a normie, seems like. Or a normie kid. Is worried about his Windows activation not transferring.

Here nigga, get this instead:

amazon.com/Samsung-24-Inch-Curved-Monitor-C24FG70/dp/B01M1DEEYP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503371207&sr=8-3&keywords=Samsung C24FG70

pcpartpicker.com/list/2kCynn

This is a very novice build

Anecdotal, but I've experienced something similar with a failing PSU. Started with BSODing a lot, then devolved into failing to boot and then crashing soon if I managed to get it to get to Windows. Thought it was the video card but discovered it was the PSU when it literally burst into flames.

>Curved
Don't do this. Curved isn't good for anything except for maybe media consumption. Curved definitely 100% isn't for production work or digital art.

Keyboard is shit.
Case is suspect.
Everything else is fine.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6QGrFd Any improvements that can be made to stay within a 1300 budget?

>Keyboard is shit.
I can't speak for the longevity because I haven't had mine long, but the knockoff blues feel fine and it's a solid board. It you don't care about legit switches it's probably one of the best options.

They're claiming EVGA PSU. So it's unlikely but possible.

why aren't these fans recommended more often? holy shit these little fuckers are incredible, not much louder than something like a corsair or noctua, say a few db and they move almost as much air, performing within a few degrees of the before mentioned fans, and you can literally get 5 for the price of 1 noctua, pwm to boot
what the shit Sup Forums why had i never heard of these

You can afford a Samsung 850.
And for that price you can easily afford a better case. People like to recommend the S340 and P400 at that price range.

Also, for the curious, my interest in buying parts from this guy sort of vanished after I realized he had taken the parts out of his computer and laid them out on a shag rug to take the CL pictures.

Figured I could at least try to help him, though. Though this is why I have no faith in second hand components.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4kgkM8

Is it good for gaming though?

People keep doing this. Every other CL post. FFS. Nobody is educated.

Second hand is only worth it if you have some avenue for a refund (aka refurbs and ebay) or they're exceptionally cheap or free. CL is always a terrible option.

Selected the wrong image. CL isn't having an outbreak of illegal crab fighting rings.

Yes. But only it is those super big ultrawides ( >34"). Otherwise their effect are minimal and a waste of money.

>CL isn't having an outbreak of illegal crab fighting rings.
What a shame. First Twitch bans cock fights and now this.

Damn. Thanks for telling me to steer clear of a pricey gimmick.

>Guy gets his PC to start
>RAM slot on the mobo seems to have died, making the motherboard the culprit
>Announces that System Repair starts up
Man. Fuck the people that name these fucking things. This poor bastard thought Startup Repair meant the computer would repair its own hardware.

HAHAHAAHHAHHHAH

No problem user

>the computer would repair its own hardware
One day...one day.

Neat thanks user.

check cnn
vega now outperforming titan Xp with new driver update
nvidiots are rioting in the streets

as if CNN is talking about anything but our idiot commander-in-chief

I searched cnn vega but nothing related to technology came up. link?

>CNN
Fake news.

Come on user, you're better than that. Don't fall for such obvious bait.

Check CNN
caught sucking dicks on the streets

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Woops, lack of sleep coming through

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NJpfbj

copy the permalink