Kaspersky Antivirus Safe

So, Sup Forums, after having read a little bit about the US Federal government stopping their use of Kaspersky security due to its ties to the Russian government, I wanted to come here to ask about its safety.

Is there anyone here who knows whether Kaspersky is to be trusted? I'm aware of its reputation and popularity for security, but I'm just not sure if it's in league with the FSB. I am also open to suggestions of other antivirus and computer security services.

I've been downloading internets for over 20 years and the only time I got a wirus was when someone else plugged an infected usb to my pc, I was able to clean manually without installing anything.

I'm glad you were able to do that. Do you use windows defender or did you disable that?

Been using it since 2005 with no problems here, it's done everything I needed it too. Only thing bad about it was when it first came out it would let out a loud as fuck pig squealing noise when it noticed something it didn't like

I'm a long time user as well. Just a little uneasy about the govt. comments on it

I used a script and had to manually check the registry for traces

Current user here.
In any case Kaspersky and by proxy the russians won't care about your average joe. They would take interest in any US gov data IF Kaspersky is willing to assume the risk of being exposed as a Russian Intelligence active collaborator (not as a consultant but providing with private info)

I don't know if what they are saying is true or not, but it's served me well for over a decade and I'll only stop using it if it starts giving me problems.

Keep in the government is currently freaking out over possible Russia/Trump/whatever ties and performing knee-jerk reactions as such. Just use whatever performs well (so Bitdefender or Kaspersky).

Also, webm related mandatory.

I appreciate your thoughts. Those were my gut reactions, I just wanted to get some outside opinions. I doubt any company would risk being caught for spying on a random dude if they were even remotely interested.

> I doubt any company would risk being caught for spying on a random dude if they were even remotely interested.
That's my same feeling, no doubts Eugene has some ties and the guys from Kaspersky always speak in good terms of the russian intelligence, but to compromise the company future for some random user would be incredibly dumb.

US government is paranoid about everything russian, Kaspersky seems to have gotten in the middle of a political agenda - they really wanted the $ from US contracts (another reason why it would be unwise for them to give info to the Russian government) but given the current political atmosphere their plans failed.

we stopped recommending it as a solution because of peoples concerns. now we shill mbam premium.

Russia doesn't hold power over you and you likely don't have corporate secrets on your devices, and that's assuming it sends your shit to them.

The government on the other hand does have an interest to keep information out of Russia's hands. That's why they're phasing it out.

If it has ties to the Russian government then could that mean that it also scans for NSA backdoors/compromised files that normal scanners wouldn't know about or deliberately exclude? Just a thought.

Kaspersky is the only AV to detect QWERTY. All the rest white listed it instead.

>antivirus
>trustworthy
Pick one.

>but I'm just not sure if it's in league with the FSB
of course they are

yandex also

russia went full police state after 2013

Ow the edge.
Yeah I know "you can't trust anybody™" but I'm trying to mitigate virus and malware acquisition in computers used by myself and others.
Can't trust Microsoft, Google, or any other company but I still use some of their services to make my life easier.

Tbqh I'd trust more a Russian botnet than an American one at this point

if you don't want Kaspersky because it is Russian, it would make sense to also reject all American alternatives as they're probably worse

QWERTY is a keylogger btw. f-secure guy admitted it was white listed, fucker. don't trust 'em.

>I've been downloading internets for over 20 years
yet you learned nothing.
Good malware is invisible to the OS

It's fine as long as you block the 5 ip ranges it uses for extracirricular telemetry

user when we was growing up who what was the one group of people you were told couldnt be trusted?

I installed it solely because the US government says not to

>So, Sup Forums, after having read a little bit about the US Federal government stopping their use of Kaspersky security due to its ties to the Russian government, I wanted to come here to ask about its safety.
>
>Is there anyone here who knows whether Kaspersky is to be trusted? I'm aware of its reputation and popularity for security, but I'm just not sure if it's in league with the FSB. I am also open to suggestions of other antivirus and computer security services.
The reason why FBI is pissed off about Kaspersky AV is because Kaspersky refused to cooperate with them.

American AV companies cannot be trusted. At all. Symantec, for example, is known to have removed NSA and FBI malware from their database. Even F-Secure removed QWERTY from their database when USGov requested it.

Leaked Valult7 CIA docs say that Kaspersky's the hardest to disable and bypass and they said they have no easy way to do it. Since the leaks, Kaspersky went ballistic and started hardenign their shit even further so that the methods that the CIA used to disable other AVs would never work in Kaspersky.

Only Kaspersky is refusing to play ball with USG and now they're paying the price.

Personally, I trust Kaspersky more than any other AV because they exposed all nation state malware... even Russian ones.