Name a better OS for developers

Name a better OS for developers.

Pro tip: You can't

Close second

openbsd is pretty good for C devs

> Using a ports based package manager.

>not backing up claim
I actually do want to know why it's bad though.

the openbsd team recommends using binary packages though

their official stance on ports is that its for devs only

gentoo

They're not functional.

With Guix, you can describe your entire system in a Scheme file. If something goes wrong you can atomically revert back to any generation you choose. You can create multiple environments and switch between them with a single command.

You don't get the same thing with non-functional package managers like ports, pacman, or apt.

That's really cool desu. Thanks user.

They also think installing a web server by default is a good idea.

wow nice goalpost

they develop their own web server which has a tiny footprint and it's disabled by default, openbsd still fits on a standard CD-ROM

why are you bitching about it

Fitting on a CD-ROM isn't much of an achievement. Hell even some *bulky* operating systems fit on them without even intending to.

Pretty ironic considering you're bitching about 'goalposts'.

i only brought up the CD-ROM thing as a response to you bitching about a tiny inconsequential http server

The http server is only one tiny bad decision of many. OpenBSD is a huge clusterfuck of NIH projects because the founder can't learn to read or patch other project's code.

what are these?

NixOS and GuixSD. Operating systems based on pure-functional package managers.

I've used dozens of distros, but none nearly as good as these two.

yeah i guess openssh was never a fork

So which one is better? NixOS or GuixSD?

GuixSD is configured in Guile (basically Scheme), contains no proprietary software, and uses Sheperd instead of systemd as the init system. It doesn't have as many packages as NixOS though.

NixOS is configured in its own custom language called Nix. It's repository, Nixpkgs is much larger than GuixSD's, and also contains proprietary software. It uses systemd as its init system.

The packages don't really matter though. You can install the Nix or Guix package manager on any Linux system and install the packages as non-root. If you use GuixSD and need some package not available, you can just install Nix and install it as a user.

It pretty much comes down to systemd+Nix vs sheperd+Scheme. It's you're choice.

But how are the packages in the repos, in terms of quantity? Is it comparable to something like Debian or Arch's repos?

Quantity-wise for NixOS, it's comparable to Arch. Not including the AUR.

Unlike Arch though, every single package can be customized in your system's configuration. There's also no chance of conflicts or dependency issues, as each package is in its separate directory.

It's also incredibly easy to create a Nix expression for a package once you understand the programming language.

NixOS is truly the future, best damn thing I ever used.

>still no use flags

As someone who switched to GuixSD after 6 years of Gentoo; USE flags pale in comparison to the flexibility that this gives you.

Just tell me I can install a system with xorg but no login manager. Is the fine tune what's worth it on Gentoo, give me that and I'm in.

>Close second
GuixSD is better than NixOS.

Just install the xinit package in Guix and run startx as root... Kind of trivial...

But running the xserver as root is pretty archaic, and a bad idea. It's much better to run something like lightdm without a greeter.

Any Windows release

nixos, but without systemd

So GuixSD with Nix installed?

Get the fuck out

Using anything but xububtu is a fucking meme

How is updating a config file to manage os packages and settings better for developers ?
I'd rather have my distro spoonfeed me with easy to use package manager and just werk so that i have more time for actual development instead of having to learn sysadmin stuff.

then just script that like yaourt. how is that an issue?

>yaourt
see, you're making me learn new stuff again

Getting your setup ready on a new machine is just a matter of copying over your config file.

well shit this suddenly sounds amazing

lulz. Systemd cuck.
Tell you what, let me help you out playa

Oh, neat, I might look into it.

You can do this in like 99% of distros.

What is that font?

i like cl elisp and scheme a lot is guix a good one for me

Should I continue waiting for these to mature or are they there already?

The idea seems pretty amazing.

Tamsyn

GuixSD needs to mature some more.
NixOS is almost there.

>not compiling everything
>trusting anybody, even yourself

Install Gentoo.

Windows 7 with visual studio
Thanks bye