Tfw normies are unable to comprehend that someone can learn programming just by googling around

>tfw normies are unable to comprehend that someone can learn programming just by googling around
>tfw they think there isn't any way to learn to program except reading books or attending classes
>tfw normies think learning to program in a language is the goal, not realizing that languages are just tools
>tfw they think "learning" to a programming language is hard while being ignorant of the actual difficult job of thinking up proper efficient algorithms and refining them

Almost gives me a superiority complex until I stop myself

And then we see their code and realize they never learned the importance of object oriented programming or writting code that can be easily and quickly understood in a business/team setting.

>weebs think they can learn programming by reading a poorly written tutorial, with zero depth, by other weebs on the interwebs

You know, I've been in IT forever a decade now, and I've come across these type of people several times in my career, and it makes me sad that they even exist.

This would be the equivalent of a stoner who learns how to play stairway to heaven on their dads old guitar, and suddenly starts to look down his nose at real musicians with years of classical training and know music concepts like the back of their own hands.

...and that's why, kids, I never do something I enjoy as a hobby for money

>shows your lack of practical value
>"ha ha guise I was only doing it for free"

and nothing of value was lost. see , you're the lowest common denominator of bad programmers.

>bill gates at 20 year old had learned years of object oriented programming before he made a huge success with his skills
>steve wozniak at age 25 had learned years of object oriented programming before he made a huge success with his skills
sure...

I'm not OP.
Learn to imageboard faggot.

I never said I wanted to have market value.
Still I'm getting more praise then some faggots with years of school.

Good luck getting a programmer job without that DEGREE

one must find excuses for their wasted time and money, it's okay

Well yeah you projecting cunt
Programming is just a tool, how long do YOU think it takes for someone to learn to code? It's basically knowing "oh, so I can do this in this language, okay noted"

While self learning, the most important thing is curiosity, learning a topic, applying it, then thinking "wait, can I do this, this way instead" and tinkering. That's how you learn to program

What is I'm a hobbyist? I'm a hobbyist with my hands deep in everything from high level Android apps, to low level 8 bit micros

I never understood this meme, contacts are worth way more than a degree, show your skills and if you are actually worth something, you won't have a problem

>inb4 he can attend school but can't make a friend that works at IBM

>I'm going to be the next {"bill gates", "mark zuckerberg","steve jobs","steve woz"}

For every Michael Jordan, there are 300 other players who are hanging on to stay in the league, and thousands more former/aspiring players.

As much as I would love to make believe that I'm going to have the next billion dollar idea, the odds are against me, and stacks are even more stacked against me if I'm just some stackoverflow copy+paste monkey -- hell I can hire 10 of those out of india for a fraction of what I could hire one in the states.

>"oh, so I can do this in this language, okay noted"
>"wait, can I do this, this way instead"
you sir are a scholar and a gentleman

>I'm a hobbyist with my hands deep in everything from high level Android apps, to low level 8 bit micros
I repeat my statement, you sir are a scholar and a gentleman

Nobody is saying you have to be the next Bill Gates. You can do well with far less.
Being a dumb codemonkey because you learned it sitting behind a desk is for brainlets.

>"wait, can I do this, this way instead"
That's what's pissing off the people who learned something in school, they don't have that level of reasoning, they get pissed if something isn't done "by the book".

It's sad and harmful for everybody.

Without formal training, you're just a hobbyist.

>cognitive dissonance

Thing is if you don't have degree or experience you are going to pay for it via opportunity cost -- IE: taking lower paying job just to learn on the job, or to get enough experience to parlay your current situation to a better job.

Normally you'd want to go to school, while working so that you are still earning while working towards the next big opportunity. Simple money mathematics.

You site Bill Gates and Woz. Also, you think you are going to be pushed into a senior level position with zero school or work experience?

Well fuck, are you in for a rude awakening.

Fair enough man, being a hobbyist isn't a crime. I have a cushy job in accounting but I tinker around in my free time

I get self-taught applicants all the time.
They go in the trash, they're a crapshoot to deal with.
Sometimes, I find competent ones, but they're diamonds in a mountain of shit.

It's really a crapshoot when hiring programmers, or really just about any technical position. There is no one true lithmus test that will tell you how good a person will be at the job. There are certain take aways you can make from someone who's invested in formal school and sel-directed learning, versus someone who's done only one of the two.

One thing I've learned in my years is that you can only be exposed to so much flying solo, and being secluded from the rest of the world. I've learned so much by working with people who know less then me (or I thought knew less than me), just because they focused on other areas that I ignored.

We all have our antasy that we can be the david to the world's goliath, with our online tutorials written by some 12 year old in Lithuania, but reality is alot more nuanced than that.