/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f20/normal-big-gap-between-bracelet-lug-881295.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Drive#History
wiki.epfl.ch/polymac/documents/hpm-en.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for 720hz

La souris is a marvel of engineering.

third for fuck seiko and fuck shitters

*teleports behind you*
Psst.. Nothing personnel kid.

copped new for $40, msrp is $200. did i do good /wt/

Can't really complain for $40.

for watch that someone WOULD pay $200, is this complete shit? will i look like a dumbass wearing it?

what i mean is, exactly what's wrong with it? like can you list the problems you have with it since you all know more about watches than i do?

The hands are slightly too small for the dial, for one. I wouldn't get a gold watch unless it was solid gold to be honest, since the plating is eventually going to wear off. There's nothing offensively bad about it.

I have the same thoughts. I'd never ever go for a gold watch since the chain would have to be gold too and I've never liked that look. I suppose it does look fine with that band, though. I'm just worried that other watchfags will point out all these flaws like maybe the crownguard or the second marks.

pic related

it's like this one's retarded brother.

My new Chinese shitter. Sapphire crystal, feels quite hefty, good bracelet. Actually surprised with what I got for $80. This is however the quartz version.

I really like the spring drive movement

Being the only movement that has a truly smooth (aka not stepped in any way) sweep is nice.

not an argument

off aliexpress?

>$4000 for a less accurate accutron
>still looks like a mall watch
muh horological virtue, if you don't have excrement where your brain was expected you didn't appreciate le haute mecanique du uhrwerk like me

>more accurate
Realistically getting less than +/- 15s a month is on par with quartz watches. It needs 100% less battery changes than a quartz too.
>mall watch
The movement my man not the watch learn to read. Maybe you have excrement win the hole were your brain is.
>horological
And yeah it's a really cool movement, how it works, how it looks, it's significance, all great factors that add to why I like the spring drive movement.

where*
Your going to use this to say I'm wrong aren't you. Anyway it's a great movement and I like everything about it.

the bracelet gap is better than omegas, really makes you think

All thanks to the Swatch group

omegas were always shit at making bracelets

forums.watchuseek.com/f20/normal-big-gap-between-bracelet-lug-881295.html

Cool image there, I can definitely see the bracelet gap.

fucking kikebucket man

>than +/- 15s a month is on par with $10 quartz watches.
ftfy

Last I checked, the cheapest quartz watches are rated for +/- 30s per month. Either way it doesn't actually mean that's what the real world performance is.

you can even see the gaps between the actual links
J U S T

either way it's mall watch design and mall watch accuracy. but muh horological virtue

I've read multiple times how people get

it's the same phenomenon as people getting +-5s/week on their poljots. a stopped clock is still right twice a day, says nothing about the watch that under some circumstances it's "kinda sorta accurate until it's drifted again"

If you have some evidence of spring drive movements drifting in their accuracy, I'd like to see it.

it's called the manufacturer tolerances, you can do the Bing for some hits

That's what the +/-15s spec is for, it's a CYA clause. What I mean is evidence of a single movement changing it's accuracy (by a non-trivial amount) over time.

>it's a CYA clause
you say that like it makes it untrue
I think seiko has better data than your anecdote from /r/watches/

I'm asking for an anecdote from you m8. Do you know of a single spring drive movement which has drifted in accuracy (not just difference between two different examples)? I'm sure you're not disputing the fact that manufacturers inflate the specs/tolerances to worse than the average real world performance, right?

Is 220$ Dollars a good price for a near mint boxed twin Quartz king Quartz?

It's the same case and bracelet as the one in the picture but with a silver sunburst dial that's pretty plain

If it's really minty, then sure. But for that much I'd want one with a nice dial texture like the one in that pic.

There's not many nice dials for sale anymore and when they do pop up they're really expensive

Rate my finding

I had the uncontrollable urge to throw my G-Shock down the stair and one of the buttons stopped working. Apparently it must have landed real unlucky, on the edge of a step, right on the button because it left a big round dent on the contact plate.

I took the module apart and hammered the plate flat with a staking tool, now it works perfectly gain. The end.

That's a pretty good one, nigger.

Wear it in good health.

Do you have autism?

My master pulled out a big box of pocket watch movements for me to choose, which one should I take apart /wt/?

>My master
user we don't need to know about your BDSM relationship.

In all seriousness though, start with (what I assume is) the repeater.

Do you?

English isn't my first language, so i just Googled what a teacher to an apprentice was called and everyone said master lmao. Just got done cleaning up this old thing earlier.

Didn't feel like rotating sry.

>huuuurrrr i have an irresistible urge to throw my watch
>huurrrr it broke

>y do u treat a G-Shock like a highly impact resistant watch do u hav atism?
>G-Shocks should be treated like hundred year old Pateks!
>G-Shock lives matter!
>If people do things I don't understand they must have a mental illness. This is literally how a non-autistic person thinks.
Ok kid. Be sure to make a post about this on r/watches.

>>G-Shock lives matter!
I chuckled.

sup?
It's been a while m8's

Very nice. What movement does it have?

Sup m8, been a while indeed.

Just out of curiosity, d'you happen to remember what bracelet ADs used to put on the old megasonics like mine?

wb

Not much, haven't really added anything new watch wise lately other than a new shell cordovan strap for my blue sunburst LM Special.

How about you? How's life been treating you? Any new watches since you were last around?

Nice EF-503 Edifice.

Are smart watches a meme? I'm looking at buying a gear 3

Everything is a meme, user.

>botnet that, at the very minimum, sends data back to your phone
>which in turn sends it back to some company
Of course it's a meme, user.

You were based in NYC for a bit, yes? Do you have a watchmaker you can recommend?

Ok hi guys
What is the most fedora watch? Not counting pocket watches and skeleton watches.

Most fedora: slavshit, especially Soviet slavshit
Most numale: Bauhaus

Why do you insist on totally wrong about absolutely everything? Do you have a fetish for getting BTFO?

Accutron's were guaranteed to one minute per month accuracy when new, which is +/- 2 SPD. Even if you gift the tuning fork the assumption that it was twice as accurate as Bulova themselves claimed that would still leave it at +/- 30 seconds per month, compared to the claimed accuracy standard of +/- 15 seconds per month for spring drive.

And if you actually did have any interest in or appreciation for horology you would respect the ingenuity of the totally original and unique spring drive concept, which was invented by a single fucking dude at Seiko Epson as a side project and which found a unique way to fuse mechanical watchmaking traditions with quartz timing regulation. How someone can claim to appreciate tuning fork movements and talk shit about spring drive at the same time is truly a testament to the length someone will go to shitpost because of how bootyblasted they are.

Tuning fork watches were rated from Bulova themselves to have 4 times worse accuracy, please stop making a fool of yourself.

Could you be any more pathetic? Honestly, do you really intend to spend your days shitting up every watch thread because you're bootyblasted at getting fucking dumpstered every time you open your mouth?

Most Fedora: Seiko especially vintage and especially if you have to spcifiy or even know about the Daini or Suwa thing.

Most numale: Bauhaus

slavshit is and always has been... people have used them as cheap tools since the beginning what neckbeards are buying vostoks?

Have you tried looking on Yahoo! Japan Auctions? You might have an easier time finding a good deal on a King Quartz there than on eBay these days.

>tfw i own two soviet watches

Guess i made it

btw i was the guy in the last watch thread you said was shitting up every thread and posted three different things i didn't say and i am not a single one of those people in the comments you are responding too. I don't think you realize that everyone fucks with you.

Why hasn't this general been kicked out to /fa/ already

> Spring drive was invented by
ETA, in fact. Obviously, Seiko were the first to bring it to market.

I own like ten and I'm the one who made that post.

To my defense I live in a post-commie country, if you live in the west and go out of your way to obtain commie slavshit, there's no excuse.

Did the development of the movement in that piaget start before 1977? Or was the first prototype made before 1982?

find me an 60 dollar hand wind watch that can go 200 meters under water and get run over by a car or thrown off a bridge or frozen in a block of ice and keep working.

What caliber?
>inb4 it has nothing to do with SD technology

>The design was first conceived by Yoshikazu Akahane at Suwa Seikosha (currently Seiko Epson) in 1977, and patents were applied for it in 1982. In total, no less than 230 patents have been applied worldwide for this movement. The movement was announced publicly in 1997, presented at the 1998 Basel Watch Fair and first appeared commercially in the Credor 'luxury watch' range as a limited edition in 1999. A version which included an automatic winder was shown in Seiko models at the 2005 Basel Watch Fair. The internationally available Seiko models were officially launched at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris on September 14, and went on sale the following day.

You forgot
>and still be accurate to +/-60s a day!

>What movement does it have?
I think it's a caliber 1863 with moonphase module.

>you happen to remember what bracelet ADs used to put on the old megasonics
Fuck me, I know I saw it once but I'm sorry m8, I haven't been lucky enough to come across the old advertise again. It looked like the one used in unofficial speedsonic ads, but not the lobster kind, obvioulsy. It might have been a Holzer bracelet.

Nice pic. Was that from the Patek exhibition?

>Any new watches since you were last around?
I'm not sure if you have already seen pic related, but there it is. (I changed the serial.)

Yep. Apparetly Omega makes the greatest Casio homages.

>smart watches
They are still shit. Avoid.

That depends of what kind of service do you need. In all honesty, believe it or not, my most trusted watchmaker lives in Mexico City, and he is right now being trained by Greubel Forsey.

IMHO Casio's digital watches being worn "ironically".

yeah they are shit but not fedora tier at least not in the west.. pretty much the opposite.

Well, to my defense i live next to a post commie country and i obtained those watches from their local sales.

>It might have been a Holzer bracelet.
I'm seeing a lot of omegas by searching up 'holzer', so that's a decent clue. No worries about not remembering all the details m8.

>Yep. Apparetly Omega makes the greatest Casio homages.
Rolex does it too, see their MTP-1302 knockoff.

>tfw nu-wealth plebs getting cucked thinking their Datejust is an original design

second from left

wiki.epfl.ch/polymac/documents/hpm-en.pdf

It was, the patek exhibit was neat.

>Swatch's research company ASULAB has developed a conceptually similar movement called the High Precision Mechanics movement.[2] Several proof of concept prototypes based on the ETA 2824 caliber were produced in the late 1990s.

>Seiko's efforts with the Spring Drive predates ASULAB's HPM, since Spring Drive watches were already on sale in 1999.
>Seiko's efforts with the Spring Drive predates ASULAB's HPM,
>Spring Drive predates ASULAB's HPM,

I thought that number on a breguet was the model number, not the serial number.

>tfw nu-wealth plebs getting cucked thinking their Datejust is an original design
kek

After your master finishes dominating your ass, and assuming it's the first time you reassemble a watch, I'd vote for the third or fourth.

>the patek exhibit was neat
Indeed it was.

>I thought that number on a breguet was the model number
Nop. It's the serial number. Not two Breguets have the same one I think.
>detail of the movement (dirty glass, but anyway)

alright guys i have a fucking mission for all you autsists

Find me the best possible new hand wind watch for under 200 dollars. I don't care about type. It can't be automatic, it has to be new, and it has to be under 200 dollars.

Just a bit over at $240 but worth it. This is literally the best you can get with what you are talking about. Hamilton khaki mechanical.

NOS, or something that uses a NOS A. Schild movement.

What brand and model of NOS are we talking here? What brands use A. Schild Movements?

Got this recently, does /wt/ like it?

Wristlet like you should wear smaller watches, just saying.

It's cool, but way overpriced novadays.
How much did you pay for it?

>breguet
I love everything about them except the design of EVERY single dial in the collection. Their pilot is nice but too clunky, what a shame

I may be a wristlet but this watch is just 39 and it looks big because of it was taken with a phone camera from a close perspective.

127€

"Well, that's certainly what Seiko want everyone to believe! I think the key element in this might be the existence or non-existence of a 1972 patent granted to ASULAB--which if actually granted, would put them ahead of Seiko with respect to patents on this. No less an authority than Pieter Doensen (author of Watch) has claimed such a patent existed. The first Seiko patent was in 1978."

>those applied numbers
>guilloche in dial deep as fuck
>guilloched gold rotor

>MY DICK

FUCKING HATE JEWBAY AND GAYPAL

>sell a watch for 300€ via PayPal, money stays in my PayPal balance
>spend the half of it the next day on another watch
>two day later the buyer says the watch I sold him has some mechanical defect according to him and he wants his money back
>PayPal balance stays negative now
>I can't return him his money until I transfer money to my PayPal balance from my bank account
>it should take two days, explain the situation to him
>buyer tells me that's unacceptable and that he'll give me a bad feedback. That I shouldn't spend any money from my PP balance until being sure that there's not going to be returns.

Fucking ASSHOLE, fucking JEWBAY AND GAYPAL REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE