Skype or Discord?

Skype or Discord?
>inb4 "shitpost"

Other urls found in this thread:

support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/210544537-How-is-Discord-making-money-How-can-I-contribute-
github.com/wireapp/wire-server
windowsreport.com/skype-for-linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

shitpost

irc

IRC for chat, TS for VoIP.
There's no reason to use Discord, there are IRC clients that have all the stupid features like image embedding and smilies but without eating 150MiB(!) of memory in the process.

IRC / Mumble

Teamspeak is gay

no one uses IRC except retard autists who aren't worth talking to

Discord.
Skype is utter trash. Always has been.

Once Discord releases it will kill Skype (Other than business usage) Other than that TS is probably a better (voice) chat.

*Releases Video Chat

I've found Discord works about a billion times better, and the people who made it had the foresight to have an in-browser client to make it extremely easy for non-technical people to use.

Of course, if I had my way, everyone would use Mumble and the world would be a better place.

The only thing Skype has over Discord is video chat, which Discord is getting fairly soon. After that, Skype is literally dead.

Teamspeak and Mumble fags can fuck off. As can IRC faggots. Ancient software.

Mumble.

Ventrilo for talking and Xfire for chat

neither

age >40, skype
skype has ads and discord doesn't. discord wins this by default

By the way, do people in western countries use Viber? I live in a slavic shithole and everyone seems to be obsessed with it. To me it is but a Skype clone with an interface just as obnoxious and memory optimization just as horrible.

Discord you retard.

it is released! you just need to buy nitro for beta access :D

I prefer Skype because of social mechanics. Having private calls on Skype is a lot easier and having everyone on different servers leads to not being able to ignore people as easily and shit is always in your face. Not to mention everyone having their own special snowflake server.

Wire. Completely open sourced, e2e encryption, fingerprint verification, based in Switzerland, and a gorgeous UI. Also tons of normie shit, like emojis.

Please join my Discord server so I can fragment communities even more.

Neither
Just use irc

The one that doesn't sell your data

slavshit here, never heard of that, everyone's using discord or teamspeak in poorland

>The one that doesn't sell your data
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The one that doesn't sell your data

It's pretty safe to assume that anything that isn't open sourced and e2e encrypted either is selling your data, or will sell your data eventually.

Wire instead of Skype. IRC instead of Discord.

How do you even find team speak servers worth joining?

I've used wire for chatting. Never for group chats. How is it?

Surprisingly great. Video chat is also really nice. Not sure how it works on Android, but on iOS, both can be integrated into the iOS call logs, too. Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing that if you use iCloud.

I haven't tried voice/video chat on the electron app, though, so the experience might be completely different than the phone app.

Skype's a botnet.

Until Microsoft buys Discord and destroys it, just like they did with Skype.

That's fair. But one could also level the same claim about Discord users. I mean, it's pretty obvious that they are looking to make it into a Twitch competitor, while offering nothing new or different.

vidya gaems? Discord
video chat with grandma (if she can figure it out)? Skype

??? twitch competitor???

If you're talking about the twitch client, Discord was created long, long before that.

no one uses discord except 13 year old redditors who aren't worth talking to

You'd be surprised at how many chat programs use IRC under the hood. More people probably use IRC, perhaps unknowingly, every day than they do Discord.

I don't want to sound like a shill, but I'm surprised how a "random startup" was able to create such a well working software/website that can handle lots of users. ANd their software just works. Compared to Skype and Microsoft Teams, which are pure garbage.

>built from the ground up
>focused on being simple chat and voice software
>no push for annoying monetisation or ads
>no servers to maintain like with Mumble and Teamspeak
>marketed their strong points and the ball started rolling

For me, the biggest thing about Discord is how easy it is to get going. Literally two clicks, a few keystrokes to enter a username and you can start chatting with your friends in the web browser. Discord has done an amazing job when it comes to being seamless.

Now ask yourself how they are going to start turning a profit.

>Completely open sourced
fake news

>>focused on being simple chat and voice software
Are you kidding? A simple chat and voice client should use in the order of tens of megabytes of memory, not hundreds. Discord is poorly written software.

>>no push for annoying monetisation or ads
VC funding doesn't last forever. Discord is not even close to turning a profit and they never will with their current model. That presents three possible outcomes; either they go out of business, they start paywalling tons of features, or they go full Skype-tier adware. Either way, you as a user of the service are fucked.

>>no servers to maintain like with Mumble and Teamspeak
This is not a good thing. You and your community is placed entirely at the mercy of the service operators. They can either maliciously shut you down just because they don't like you, or they'll shut you down if they go out of business (as most startups do).

>>marketed their strong points and the ball started rolling
Yes, they did very aggressively shill their product. They ran a nice marketing campaign but that doesn't make their software good.

What isn't open source?

support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/210544537-How-is-Discord-making-money-How-can-I-contribute-
>We thought it'd be tasteless and boring to stuff ads into every nook and cranny of Discord, so we'll be exploring a few less intrusive options, like optional cosmetic items, such as sticker packs, sound packs, and skins. Don't fret, we'll never charge for Discord's core
They're just going to keep adding more obnoxious shit.

That sounds worse than a small, non-personalized add at the side of the chat or something.

Server is not completely open-source.

That has changed.

Yes it has.

Also, starting next year, you will be able to host it on your own server.

They have an atrocious privacy policy. Everything else is irrelevant, I will not use software that explicitly states it is going to spy on me and sell my information to 3rd parties and I believe that anyone who does the sake of a little convenience is a fool.

>all these people talking about "convenience"
I can set up an IRC network right now and give it a nice JS-riddled interface that only takes a few clicks to get set up and has all the emojis and memes you want. Hell, that's what Twitch chat is. Just a fancy interface for IRC, you can connect to a channel's chat using any old IRC client if you want.

And you can do it fast because you already know how to do it or because it's really easy and intuitive to do it?

A lot of people here promoting teamspeak.

Mumble is free as in libre and free as in beer, and miles better than the piece of shit that is TeamSpeak.

Some ppl got it without nitro, I'm among them but don't have anybody to call, kek

Raidcall was probably my fav chatting app idk whny

>retard autists who aren't worth talking to
>all twitch users
So incredibly true

>teamspeak
Enjoy your non-free botnet.

TeamSpeak 4 ever or Mumble

Most fucking retarded team speak clone that I've to deal with ever. Eats a fucktone of memory, freezes and disconnects without any compehensible reason. Disconnects are also one sided, so while you continue hearing the conversation, your voice is not transmitted. Then after explaining something for half an hour you finally understand that no one heard you. And this is fixed only by relaunching the program. The client is also ugly and riddled with adds. Fuck this piece of shit.

>it's another episode of Sup Forums lacking reading comprehension

MS didn't verify ads being shown to users. There were cases of embedded malvertising campaigns infecting users. Can vouch, my machine got hit.

>"which is the best fruit, lemon or banana?"
>a valid question
Pick one

>Skype or Discord?

Wire

>>github.com/wireapp/wire-server
>
>Also, starting next year, you will be able to host it on your own server.

Ok Wire wins now

I literally can't think of a single negative to Wire. It's kind of amazing, actually.

Electron client, maybe. Otherwise it is the best Skype replacement I have ever seen.

shitpost

I can understand a startup using Electron to bring it to as many devices as quickly as possible, and then crafting it for each OS afterwards.

>he thinks Skype is good
Riot or GTFO

Thread is shit, post tits

Skype is electron-based now, too.

windowsreport.com/skype-for-linux/

>Microsoft will be killing the classic version of Skype for Linux on July 1st. In order to keep using it, Linux users will have to move to the new Electron-based app.

>skype: Botnet of the homosexual
>discord: Botnet for the homosexual

Sorry but we talkde about this, no gay pony ERP on IRCs ,stick to discord

Ha ha ha this is literally true.

truth

>mfw my first ERP was gay ponies on IRC

>mobius.gif
>none of the strips on the gif are mobius strips

Maybe "ourobouros" would've been better, yeah.

When I think of Microsoft my dick inverts into my body.

Wire and Mumble win

Both are botnet.

LINE is the superior chat client.

>not having your first ERP as a child with grown men pretending to be teenage girls in an AOL chat room

Fucking this.
Everyone uses it and it's the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen, I see it losing connection every time someone in my family tries to call someone. I haven't seen anyone use it over in the US though except for other people I know from the Balkans.

>By the way, do people in western countries use Viber?

lol no. i don't know why you slavs use that. there's so many better alternatives. even telegram is better.

Banana

How is this even a question?

I call my buddies on my phone, it's the best chatting service ever made. Uses no memory or CPU power, doesn't lag your game, and best of all, doesn't use the internet. Why do you guys use VoIP again?

>not having your first erp as a grown man pretending to be a 13 year old girl pretending to be a grown man in a room full of 13 year old boys pretending to be 40 year old women