/tpg/: ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD5864327&cm_re=x250-_-9SIA1ZD5864327-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sage this thread, start a new one without the propaganda image.

So this is Sup Forums's /ptg/. Interesting. Sometimes you have to laugh OP's image off.

Anyone can post the thread, what makes this one the "official" one?

Nothing's official here. I'm not a retard, just not well versed in this particular board's culture.

$50

>being offended by some Thinkpad memes
Welcome to nu-Sup Forums

sage sage sage sage sage

People here only speak of the older Thinkpads because they want to reinforce the notion of ThinkPads being old machines, as though the new ones didn't exist. They don't want you having a modern ThinkPad around so they can pretend that MacBooks are the most advanced laptops.

People hate on the chicklet keys because they can't stand the notion that something could be both functional/utilitarian and modern/sleek at the same time.

The battery DRM only makes sense as you surely don't want some knockoff battery to explode your laptop.

sage sage sage sage sage

Apple fags are not to be reasoned with on the same level of a human being. They might as well be dogs.

Jesus, this is Sup Forums but replace Jew with Apple.

>reddit spacing

Ugh. People are accustomed to seeing the picture of the red nub, because it is a distinctive feature of the ThinkPad not a meme that is the worthless opinion of some shill.

People are going to be confused, because when they look for what they are accustomed to seeing, it would be as though this weren't the real TPG.

I'm just saying.

It's there

Ok, well now it is here See you in the new thread! Shill all you want but be sure you speak English and not martian or whatever it is you freaks use.

How bad is the Battery DRM on newer chinkpads?

Found an x230 with i5-3230M, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD with an IPS display for 389e. Any good? A bit expensive but such is life with weird nordic keyboards and taxes. A bit worried about the warranty only being 6 months.

pretty bad

it's alright considering your taxes, but I'm sure you can do better by not buying from an actual store.

So now you're splitting threads. That's pretty disgusting.

Worth enough avoiding them?

So /tpg/ I opened up my T420s to fix my airplane switch, reseated the ribbon cables and whatnot. On that end of things, everything seems to have worked. However upon booting my touchpad/trackpoint are no longer functioning. The keyboard works fine. So, what do?

if you can find the same one for like 250-300, then yes go for it

probably the touchpad
around 300

I'm okay with paying a bit extra for the store stuff. Less of a hassle and no warranty at all with individual sellers. I might get the x230 then. Hope the resolution won't be an issue.

This thread doesn't really exist, however. If you want some toxic echo chamber you should go back to r**dit.

I wanna get a t440p. Anything essential to upgrade and any price range i should look for?

This thread really exists and you are splitting.

probably the fucking touchpad
around 300

I'm just trying to take a stand against fascism. If it doesn't work then... well I don't want to go there.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

>reseated the ribbon cables
probably broken connectors. it's kinda weird because keyboard&trackpoint are on one ribbon, and touchpad is on another ribbon. what OS do you have? you should reinstall those devices. also check bios settings.

I'm running manjaro. I did check the bios already and both are enabled.

I got a t460s new for 300 dollars today on Craigslist, not even memeing. Maybe she didn't know what she had, idk. Suck it tho

My T60 has a 1400 by 1050 screen, is that the good one?

Is there a good way to test the connectors? They don't look messed up.

how'st to increase battery life in GNU/Linux (Debian Testing) on my T420

x220 or x230?
i can get them locally for roughly the same price for the same specs
i guess the x220 avoids some of the chink wank at the expense of usb3 and the hd4000

according to /tpg/, the older the better

X230 180GB SSD 8GB Ram i5 for $200?

Or same price with 4GB ram and 240GB SSD?

yes

if you really need usb3.0 (3x the irl speed vs usb2.0) aka you transfer a lot of shit from removable hard drives back and forth and you need to play games, then go for a x230. but you're better off with a T430 or a T530 for gaymen aka don't get hot as fuck.

if it's one 4gb stick so you can buy one later then it's fine, otherwise it's a ripoff.

Broken connector or broken ribbons, I dont see how you can test them by yourself, you can always go to a repair shop and ask them nicely to test them for you, or you can get another used keyboard and palm rest and see if they work on your machine. Until then you should get a usb keyboard and mouse.

Is it worth updating my X220 from Sierra to High Sierra at this point?

how's the hardware support on OSX?
bluetooth, thinklight, AC network card, touchpad, trackpoint, all usb ports, displayport, vga, battery thresholds ? any issues?

Not him but all of those except for the sd card reader just work on my gayOS T420, even the expresscard.

Oh and you need to change the wlan card, the stock intel won't work.

You need to buy some $10 wlan card and the touchpad is janky. I didn't try VGA but displayport and dvi (through the dock) work fine. The rest, no issues. Battery bretty good I might say, but of course there's no neat fancy software to adjust thresholds (that I know of). Since my X220 doesn't have USB 3.0 I couldn't tell you how good that works, but 2.0 does nicely. Thinklight and bluetooth just werk.

>there's no neat fancy software to adjust thresholds

how's the install process? I'm willing to try it at some point but it seems way too tedious, after all these years isn't there like a way to set up a thumbdrive with the OSX installer and install it like a Linux distribution?

Is ssd in a t440p worth it?

M2?

Who here /psyched/ about the new Raven Ridge Thinkpads? It's gonna be a good Christmas.

Yeah

Well that definitely is the tedious part.

You need macOS, so you would have to use a virtual machine if you don't have one of those machines around. I happen to use hackintosh on my PC too so not much of a big deal.

Then it's a process that involves downloading the OS through the app store, using a command to make a bootable usb, install the bootloader (Clover) on it as well and put some downloaded files on the EFI partition in that USB. After that, not much.

Also you would have to use a custom BIOS but that's linked on this guide:

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

I still find it worth the effort.

why not

SSDs are always worth it

>Raven Ridge

>he doesn't know how to greentext

Even a 4200U will poo on those AMD machines, my nigger.

Are convertibles a meme? Thinking of getting a Thinkpad Yoga.

SOPA

horrendous backlight bleeding screens tho

>4c/8t processor with 1060 level graphics
>shit on by 4200U
keep dreaming, kike

What's the general consensus on th SL series, bought an sL510 from a pawn shop and have been liking it so far, but can't find any buyers guide with an SL in then

>4c/8t processor with 1060 level graphics
sure Deepak Prajeesh, whatever you say.

What does /tpg/ think about the HP Elitebook 820 G1?

>i5 4300U
>Good build quality
>Backlit keyboard
Only problem is that it only has a 1366 x 768 screen, but at least it is LED.

Two loo tokens have been deposited into your poo account.

There is no high res display option for this laptop?

Not on the 12.5inch screen model. I'm now looking at the 15 inch model because it has a 1080p screen.

Hmm, I didn't notice the two button trackpoint the first time. How are you going to scroll with that thing?

I went to replace the display on my X220T only to find out that one of the screws on the side of the LCD plastic is stripped, and no DIY method seems to work.

gestures

Use a screw extractor, or use a dremel to grind a line down the centre of the screw so you can use a flat heat screwdriver to twist it out.

Trackpoint, not trackpad.

Cheers user, I think I'll give the dremel route a shout.

If I'm not wrong the local 2570p fag said you scroll by holding the right click down

You can't scroll using the trackpoint by default, you need to change setting to assign on of the buttons to the middle mouse button.

>having to remap buttons to even scroll
>no way to middle click
What's the point of having a useless trackpoint like that?

I don't own a elitebook, I just did a quick google search so I might be wrong here

Well, that seems to be the only way to do it, and then you'd have to come up with another solution to middle click.

How do i enable clickable trackpoint on t430 in gnu/Linux if it works on w10 and not i mint?

any x230t owners?
i just bought one and the battery is below 50%. are there any chink batteries that work without messing with bios?

Nvidia Quadro K1000 series or AMD HD 8000 series GPU?

Also would it be better to get a proper workstation laptop with 4C/8T + GPU, or a smaller "mobile" laptop 2C/4T with igpu for University? (Mechanical Engineering student)

My company wants to buy new laptops - are new thinkpads worth it? T470 and P51 were mentioned in the meeting and I have a vote on it

Any recommendations?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD5864327&cm_re=x250-_-9SIA1ZD5864327-_-Product

How do I know if the bios on these is locked down? Has anyone bought an x250 from newegg?

buy new Libre x200

Is 300 usd a bit steep for a ThinkPad L430: 180 GB SSD, 8 GB ddr 3, i5 3310M / 2.5 GHz ? asking because I'm not sure

Thought's on the first gen X1?

Anything wrong with it? Should I get a newer gen version of the X1, should I go for something completely different.

I want to buy the generic blank steel cd drive caddy instead of the edgy black knockoff Ultrabay caddy, anyone else have experience? I wanna spend the extra thirty bucks on Memory

>€478

Looks nice but weak performance

Holy shit, look at that bezel.

Thought's on HP's Zbooks?
How well do they compare to Thinkpads W or P series?

Has anyone managed to use the discrete graphics card on a T470p on any linux distro? I've been trying on Fedora: Proprietary repos: black screen, Repo drivers: black screen, Bumblebee: seg faults all over, black screen after uninstall. negativo17 repo black screen after install. Seems like its nouveau and screen tearing just playing videos, or off to an OS that works.

I have a chance to buy a T60 for £20, only has non responsive touchpad keys, and super shit battery, everything else functional. Is it any much of a bargain?

buy it

>Linux just werks

Yeah, no one who says that has tried to actually do anything with it. Everything is a pain in the ass.

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Yeah. I was hoping to avoid the botnet, but I suppose I'll have to move back.

You're using a proprietary BIOS, and graphics that require propreitary blobs to function. Either way, you're still using the botnet. Of course Linux won't work well on shitty hardware like that.

Have you tried a different distro of Linux such as Ubuntu? by proprietary repos do you mean the closed sourced Nvidia Drivers?

There's miles difference between windows 10 and nvidia proprietary drivers. Why is the hardware shitty?