Beginner programmer

I've been wanting to get into programming for quite some time, so I've decided to learn Python as it seems easy to get into while still being good at complicated tasks. Do you have any suggestions concerning online courses? I would prefer if it was something with assignments I have to solve without too much hand-holding.

Other urls found in this thread:

greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
greenteapress.com/thinkpython2/thinkpython2.pdf
greenteapress.com/wp/think-python/
learnxinyminutes.com/docs/python/
dreamincode.net/forums/topic/78802-martyr2s-mega-project-ideas-list/
rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Programming_Tasks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mark Lutz, "Learning Python"

Too intelligent to "learn python"

Pirate the udemy complete python masterclass.

codecademy.com

Thanks for the responses! I already tried some of the codeacademy course, but it requires a really expensive subscribtion to give you access to a lot of the tasks

You get hang of programming without paying anything for it.

I think I'll try the pro version for the free 14 days, as it should be enough time for me to complete the python stuff

>new to programming
>wants to learn python
How does it feel like being a nigger?

Not OP. I'm 100% white from (northern!) europe with ancestral lines going up hundreds of years.

>>How does it feel like being a nigger?
How the fuck is that an appropriate response?
I learned python just for shits and giggles. It's not that hard.

I highly recommand you to read the book "Think Python 2nd Edition" by Allen B. Downey.
It's a free book, you can download for free a beautiful PDF. The exercices are "fun" (especially if you like maths) and you need to really think to find the answers (without too much hand-holding as you want).

Here is the link : greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
PDF : greenteapress.com/thinkpython2/thinkpython2.pdf

Good luck.

>How the fuck is that an appropriate response?
It's not, just ignore him instead of taking the bait.

If you don't know math, programming isn't for you.

I'll definetely try reading/using this! Thank you very much.

I'm taking math classes at the highest level possible, at this stage in my education. So I don't think that will be a problem.

Many thanks for this!

Y'all always get this wrong. Use Ruby.

I would suggest C. It will be harder but it is also smaller and will teach you some important things about how other languages function. Try learning from video tutorials and than move on to K&R.

greenteapress.com/wp/think-python/ is really good. I would heartily recommend it.

>and will teach you some important things about how other languages function
no

> this is what pyjeets actually think

bash shell scripting with all the POSIX shit is better than any programming language

learnxinyminutes.com/docs/python/

>Learn bad habit programming in xinyminutes.com

Do you think each high level language compiles/interpreted in a 100% unique way?
Someone has to create the languages and understand concepts about memory management or etc. You can't just hide from lower-level languages because your scared.

THAKS!!

Ok read Python comprehensive books so you learn the basics and class/object Python programming.

I prefer data types so I mixed Python and Java. Since they are both O-O you can understand object programming in a proper manner enough to almost transfer skills between the two. Syntax is different but basics are there.

I have read both comprehensive books for Python and Java but in my opinion nothing comes close to finding a task to do while limiting access to google. I have learnt more from practical programming then from follow examples in books. I mean sure they tell you decent methods and idea related to them, but try practical before copying from a book.

>Python comprehensive 5th edition
>Thinkpython
>Python-tutorials.

Also the documentation from Python is so well written that you can use the manuals and search to find and learn from their examples

>le "everything I don't like is bad practice" meme

i occasionally host a "learning to program" stream where i do project euler questions in different programming languages. let me know if anyone wants to see this

>I would prefer if it was something with assignments I have to solve without too much hand-holding.

dreamincode.net/forums/topic/78802-martyr2s-mega-project-ideas-list/

Find projects and do them to constraints

rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Programming_Tasks

- This site has code examples and you must read the constraints and think about the problems.

100 doors fuck me for days but taught me about arrays and creating, cloning, boolean arrays, so on...

Honestly I don't care if people want to waste time constructing a fantasy that they will implement a search algorithm using "xy minute" sides.
>LearnPythonIn21Days

Their once was a programming (cbf remember the cunts name) who said you can learn the syntax of a language in days but you can also learn bad programming in a few days.

You're are either learning syntax or really shit habits. It is a gimmick to try and sell someone something which promises amazing result in a short time.

Right
Fare enough

Don't use this version (it's outdated because of python 2 and older/fewer exercices).
here is the last version : greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/

Meh
Those problems have been solved, try something yet to be solved.

I wonder what gave you the impression that a short cheat sheet style list of Python elements was going to teach you the same amount of practical knowledge as a 900 page book or a university course including an exhaustive list of what not to do, how to work in teams, and how to write sick code golf one-liners.

It's meant to be a fucking intro to programming. Something you read through to familiarize yourself with programming BEFORE you read a book or take a course, and something to have on the side in case you forgot what the exact syntax for a list comprehension or opening a file looks like. It's a lot faster and a lot more effective at teaching you the basics of a language and creating a mental map of what elements are available to program WITH, so you can then research each of those on your own. The cheat sheet will only take you 70% of the way there, but it will do it in five minutes.

It varies from person to person, but if I try to learn something by reading a book on it from the get go, I'll end up killing myself from boredom before I even get past the hundred page mark.

Just do the complete python master class on udemy. Has everything you need and costs £10 at the moment.