So, can we like have another /retro/ thread?

So, can we like have another /retro/ thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4vTu0KekGOc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I feel like retro threads are the only sane threads on Sup Forums
least bickering of them all

I'll make a confession.
>me, 10 y.o.
>my grandma makes spring cleaning and involves me as well
>find some keyboard
>granny says: don't care, it's shitted up, put that into trash
>i fearlessly put
>years later I realised it was my dad's ZX Spectrum
>tfw still feel guilty for that
My dad doesn't seem even to care about that, though.

An acquaintance of mine used to DJ using 2x SHARP X68000s. This image is taken from one of his past sets.

Man I know that feel. I missed my dad's old turntable I threw away years ago because it's late 90s and nobody wants this old vinyl crap anymore.
pic 100% related

Yes we can.
True

I have a chance to buy a Toshiba t3200 for a very low price. Should I, Sup Forums?

3D monitors wow!

depends. how low is low?

$10. Have to find/make a power cord for it though.

take it.

Not exactly retro, just old nostalgic stuff.
Got if form local reseller for ~4 usd (dude even recapped this board).

I might have that exact board in a bin somewhere. Can't be bothered to check right now though.

Go for it, they are hard to find, usually they go for 5x as much.

You know Hizmi?

We share an interest in X68000s, and a long time ago before I knew him I used to work as a DJ on a radio station, just flipping disks (which shows you how long ago this was, radio stations were still using physical media then). That being said, I haven't actually talked with him in quite some time, so I wouldn't say we're friends or anything (actually, I did use the word acquaintance before, which is quite apt).

Cool.

There are no such things as "old turntables", there are either good ones or bad ones.
The mid 70's to mid 90's ones are most looked after because that's when they actually gave a crap about them.

Mid-70s is when the art of making a everything in an audio stack (including turn-tables) was perfected, and late-90s was when manufacturers started being able to reduce prices without what the manufacturers felt was a quality loss, but which mostly resulted in devices starting to fail earlier than consumers who'd been used to the good quality stuff expected (not necessarily from planned obsolescence like we see today).

>and late-90s
That's exactly why I said only up to mid-90's

This thing is already retro

It's 3 years old, get the fuck out

:^)
But seriously, will post some actual old shit later

no one cares, fuck off

no bully

Holy shit I still want this modo.
Late 90s-early 00s asus motherboards were dope as fuck.

No.

Tape is a fantastic medium.
I don't want reel-to-reel to be as elitist as it is, because it is a damn comfy way to listen to music.
I wish more autists would lay down the ThinkPad and enjoy mechanical devices more.

The price is high already, so the increased demand/interest can only inspire more new-productions.

Stop them from posting then

What's the best software for emulating old hardware?

>SA-X
Step your shit up, fampai

bump

I already have various metal cassettes. But most tape sounds good if you use dbx noise-reduction.
CromeExtra/Maxima from BASF is really good, good for just relaxed everyday usage.

But damn crome-tape is expensive and rare for Reel-to-reel. Not that it matters at 15ips.
And I would have to adjust the bias manually each time switching tapes anyway.

i have the same one with a dead floppy drive.
good luck finding a replacement for that drive if it dies

>tfw been looking for retroshit for years

What's the best bet for finds? We don't have big swap meets in my metro area. I try to hit estate sales as much as possible, hoping for some hoarders house to show up.

>from BASF
You mean Emtec? :^)
>dbx
>any noise reduction ever
I'd take the interoperability of a UX-Pro with no NR over the dbx placebo any day.
And yes, I have tried dbx.

Well, this is a sample of some of the stuff I carry around with me.
Since I'm not at home right now, I use the Walkman.

I don't find dbx to be placebo, but it surely limits how many decks I can use a recording on; which is why I only use it for a few mixtape that lay around the specific player with it.

Dolby on the other hand, I have almost nothing left over for, it only distorts with no audible noise-reduction unless you listen to very high volume on headphones.

>D6C
Do want. This F-33 sounds like absolute dogshit.
Also, why the lack of love for ferrics?

Could this be a 486?
It seems to have a turbo button on the case but I'm not so sure about this.
Also if a case has a turbo button, does that mean that it takes older AT or Baby-AT mainboards?

>no ISA slot
>bent pins

I have many Ferric tapes, but I just use the crome ones because I have so many, and don't have to change the knobs on the side.

But you have to change them anyway for different tapes to get the best dynamic range out of them. Assuming you use the D6C for recording too, in which case you fell for the meme.

I record with the D6C, but I primarily use my Denon or Technics decks. (The Technics one being the one with dbx.)

Noice. I use a Technics RS-B18, which has DBX too. Surprisingly good deck for being a single motor transport.

Right now using this as we write.
Technics M233X

Looks like both use pretty much the same transport. More integrated electronics in yours, though.

I have noticed that most Matsushita's tape machines use almost the same transport system, and the same motors.

The 2 (two) Denon decks I have.

>tfw I miss my tape recording days

>Playing on the three head and recording on the two head
You're doing it wrong.

no
Because the erase head is out of alignment on the 3-headed one.
So it is on purpose why I'm doing it.

There is just something about taking a new tape out of the foil and thread it on the machine.

>using magnetic tape for audio
>not digital data

>using DAT
no thanks

They tried to put lossless digital music on a tape format.
Music industry got assblasted and never used it because "muh piracy"

>PDP-125
it makes me think of an alternative universe, where minicomputers stayed the norm and so did tape media, so now we have things like Sony making data cassettes for the PDP-125, a big home minicomputer

kind of like Fallout

Lately I've found myself wishing that Moore's Law had died much, much sooner than it did. Internet of things, monopolistic control of information, self driving cars, AI...these things are not going to end well for humanity.

>these things are not going to end well for humanity.
Humans are not going to end well for humanity, IoT and self driving cars are the least of worries

we don't need to accelerate it with these dystopian inventions

a governing AI and robotic labor force is the only possible utopia though

bump

Digital tape recording did take place in studios. Big time.
So the tape manufactures actually started the whole transformation from analogue to digital.

I like retro things but I live in a tiny apartment so I can't keep any of that stuff around. I junked all of my old computers and game consoles and run everything on VMs / emulators.

Who else fucked around with the registration cards for their games?

Nobody filled those out ever. Not even you. You're only imagining that you did.

If I remember correctly, those have ALPS keys, right? $10 is dirt cheap, regardless. I'd pay that.

I can't be the only one who actually soldered a jumper.

No, I meant putting fake info in them like I did.

Oh wow, I remember that.

>TFW dad wired the turbo button backwards so the light would be on while I played Doom

that's boring though

the hdd and floppy are standard

There was no standard for Turbo buttons, some showed Turbo ON when it was running at default speed, some showed it ON when it was running at slow speed and vice versa. My Turbo XT and 486 both show it ON (light on too) by factory default when it running at default.

I recently acquired a IBM 5150 and it is in great condition however, the floppy drive doesn't work and I get 601 on boot before loading basic. I have taken it apart and cleaned the rails with some rubbing alcohol but nothing. what can I do try and fix it?

>601 Diskette power on diagnostics test failed.
How about you Google?

It was all in how you plugged the case button into your mobo. The idea was supposed to be that you turn it off to emulate old hardware though.

PICS!

No. It depended on the motherboard, some sped down with Turbo activated, some sped down with Turbo deactivated. Some wanted the connection closed for it to be active, some wanted the connection to be open for it to be active. It didn't "emulate" anything though, it was a finicky way of downclocking the CPU and bus. You mostly always needed to manually disable caches also for it to be of any use for actual programs that where very dependant on it.

looks pentium era to me from the curvature of the case, maybe a later 486 or 5x86 system

could be whatever though, anything from late 486 to some piece of shit K6-2 board swap

>no ISA slot
No problem, Vortex2 do the job quite well.
>bent pins
What is long-nose pliers.

I think he means for DOS sound compatibility, PCI cards suck for that.
But I wouldn't use it for DOS games anyways, only Win9x so I don't see the problem.

Aureal cards have the best compatibility for DOS sound emulation over PCI, but an SB Live's DOS emu also definitely works 100% on the TUSL2-C.

Not really, they are no better or worse than Live! cards in DOS.
PCI cards with their compatibility drivers suck for DOS games, period.

Also awful sample based OPL emulation.

Every now and then I think about how the first computers would fill an entire room and it makes me laugh

>first computers would fill an entire room
no?

Don't exaggerate. Both the Live and Vortex2 worked just fine until you hit boards that dropped NMI/DDMA support (late P4, early Core2), with the Aureal compatible across a wider range of boards due to not needing DDMA.
Also the Live's OPL2 was garbage but OPL3 was alright. Aureal synth was meh.
Gamers would have strung these companies up by their testicles if their cards didn't work properly for the large number of dos titles still being played on the hardware of the period.

>fill an entire room

>Don't exaggerate. Both the Live and Vortex2 worked just fine until you hit boards that dropped NMI/DDMA support (late P4, early Core2), with the Aureal compatible across a wider range of boards due to not needing DDMA.
I'm not talking about hardware compatibility, I'm talking about game compatibility, which was "okay".

>Also the Live's OPL2 was garbage but OPL3 was alright. Aureal synth was meh.
Don't exaggerate, they where shit compared to any good ISA card in retrospect, that are widely available nowadays.
Maybe it was okay when you just didn't know better.

>Gamers would have strung these companies up by their testicles if their cards didn't work properly for the large number of dos titles still being played on the hardware of the period.
Not really, most people still used ISA sound cards with 4 year old boards when those cards even came out.
Also people really where disappointed by the shit quality.

I know this is the wrong thread, but what is the best USB brand?

I'm currently away at the moment, this is the only picture I have of it

I recently picked up a DOS machine with a missing hard drive. Anyone tried using one of those SD-to-IDE adapters as a DOS boot drive? I've heard the CF ones work, but SD would be slightly more convenient for me.

It wouldn't if you appreciated the context of it. They were huge because they were incredibly powerful for their time.

youtube.com/watch?v=4vTu0KekGOc

Fine looking machine you got there!

>blonde using a computer for something that isn't facebook
miraculous

maybe cause it was the 60s u fucknugger