ITT: Literally perfect technology

ITT: Literally perfect technology

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

stop posting OT pics.

what language did your boss insist you shill on Sup Forums today, pajeet? java? C#?

Postgres? Not at all. SQL sucks as a language on its own, it sucks when you program against it from another language, and it's slow as shit when your db gets actually big, with no good method of parallelizing it overall.

This is getting closer to perfection, though.

no
it runs on the JVM

Meh, pretty difficult.

>get stupid error
>have to search yourself
>took me 3 days, but hey, at least now I know a shitload about "clusters"

>buffer overflow, the language

>poor man's Haskell

I love Scala and particularly many libs made in Scala, but it's not perfect.

There's a good reason why they're currently doing a major revision of it again.

Says the brainlet using C because he can't into metaprogramming.

>poor man's Haskell
Haskell is what a few poor men use. Maybe the only exception are a few stock trading systems.

Scala is in Fortune 500 companies and big websites.

> closer to perfection
> shits on ACID principle
lel

Yup. "Only" gets eventual consistency, not immediate. Which, as it turns out, is enough for virtually anything.

And it's massively better regardless since you're not dealing with a shitty un-scaleable, slow database that is very awkward to program against because it's native language is shit, and the interface to the language you're actually using for programs (you'll essentially never do plain SQL since it's so shit) is interfacing with it in an usually fucking annoying way, even if xbox huge interface frameworks with their own caching and buffering and what not may lessen the issue a little.

It's a far better default than SQL bullshit for your homemade applications and CERN / eBay / Netflix ... alike. Even if there surely is SOME application where the cumbersome "ACID" SQL is a closer match.

Perfect implies that there is no more progress to be made. Most of everything posted here is still under active development.

The closest thing we have to perfect is stuff that will probably not change much. Commands like pwd, cd, echo, etc.

>not solr

good one

I'm nominating rsync.

>Commands like pwd, cd, echo, etc.
pretty sure they will break in some corner case
It's just that unix standard userland tools are so shitty, nobody creates something new with them so there won't ever be input that breaks them.

How's slony replication nowadays?

upvote for OP

also this for geographic data

>tfw too brainlet to use rsync so you use KDE connect

ssh was written by lord kek himself

Postgres really is great. The only fault is the design is so perfect, it can't scale out easily. SQL is a flawed mortal human interface, but the underlying relational algebra/calculus absolutely perfection.

Cassandra perfectly fills the scaleout gap of Postgres. Beautiful pairing.

Reading your post got me thinking, and I hit pic related. Pretty much all anvils look the same, because they are the absolute best way to manually work metal. A perfect historical design that's lasted centuries. Echo, cd, ls, grep, awk, etc. are from a similar kind of simple utility driven design.

Digits confirm

sauce?

>Linux
It's alright. Hardly perfect though.

>Docker
It sucks for most things people use it for. I'm partial to just using lxd raw myself, but other better competitors to Docker exist now too.

>Go
It's garbage. Use anything else, please.

Thanks I'll rewrite docker in electron.

>Pretty much all anvils look the same, because they are the absolute best way to manually work metal. A perfect historical design that's lasted centuries. Echo, cd, ls, grep, awk, etc. are from a similar kind of simple utility driven design.

Well, anvils got replaced by better tools, just like awk did.

youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

>Not mosh
thrash'd

jvm is the perfect runtime

Better tools like what? Million dollar specialized machines and hydraulic presses? If you're working a small custom metal forming job, the anvil is still what you use. If you're doing a one-off data extraction job, grep/sed/awk are still amazing tools that will get the job done quickly.