Is Windows 7 still a viable main OS in 2017?

Is Windows 7 still a viable main OS in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/user-patch-unlocks-windows-7-and-81-updates-on-kaby-lake-and-ryzen/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

si

ja

Oui

Дa

はい

yes

evet

No

כן גוי

Installed it an hour ago and installing updates as we speak :^)

Yes it is. But keep in mind updates will be over by 2020

No, only if you use an iso image made after they patched wannacry.

Yes. 3 more years of official support and I'd say 10 more years of common sense support

>Updates
dumb frogposter

7 is the standard in corporate and professional environments for years to come.

You can use older iso still. Just install recent antivirus and update your windows after instalation.

But about thread, windows 7 is still viable main os. No fatal privacy issues, runs still recent games and software, no "antidarvin" shit. And it still feels like older windows.

> Updates

Telemetry Service Pack

Is it still getting security updates? If the answer to that question is "yes," then go ahead and install it.

No.
Windows was never viable as a main os.
Now its even worse because 7 is old shit.

Why didn't you slipstreamed the updates on the iso from the get go?
Now your install will be almost twice as big as a clean install.

Still used by most businesses, some have started upgrading to 10 however (everyone skipped 8 because it's trash)

Kyllä

yes, it should be your main os instead of botnet 10

hayir

it's OK now that they fixed the windows update taking 100% of CPU thread bug. but between circa 2014 and november 2016 (a long slice of which had the free upgrade to windows 10...) it was near-unuseable on older hardware.

Windows 10 LTSB, Telemetry can be completely disabled, verifiablely so.

ağzına sıçarım lan

Enjoy 50gb OS

Antivirus is placebo, bloat and malware itself.
Updating windows is a pain.

some fine folks have made a script to remove known telemetry updates

this.
inb4 poo-in-loo-botnet-meme.dll.tar.gz

I thought it didn't honour group policy settings?

An outright lie. It doesn't even claim to disable telemetry fully any more. The 'Security' level makes it clear that some data is still sent, and that's just from the overarching telemetry collection. Many other individual components transmit data in their own way, and no amount of turning off settings and tinkering with the GP editor will stop them. A firewall will catch some of them, but even then not all.

If you enjoy ransom, yeah why not.

>Almost twice
>Not even close to twice

What's the easiest way to mass download all of the safe Windows 7 updates so I can make my own updated .iso?

>known

the unknown ones are the problem

Wsus offline

gibe imam bayildi & topkek pl0x

also kavaklidere

also rate muh qt kedi

Better than 8, 8.1 and 10 for sure.

hayir

[citation needed]

>Telemetry can be completely disabled, verifiablely so.
If you keep repeating that it wont become true, user.

It can be set to lower than the rest but not disabled completely

True

>(((Lower is better)))
FTFY thanks for telling me how to interpret data, these are the same people who will say cheaper is better

7 is ok in 2017 as much as 95 was ok in 2016

yes

Bai

>Is Windows 7 still a viable main OS in 2017?
I would recommend windows 8.1 and if you don't like the tiles/apps install the windows 8 start menu , it will turn your windows 8 into a windows 7 with the start menu and you get extended support over windows 7.

はい。

نعم

no tak

hope so. i still use it as my uni,shitposting OS

yes
though for haswell and newer lack some driver support out of box I think

patently false

pcgamer.com/user-patch-unlocks-windows-7-and-81-updates-on-kaby-lake-and-ryzen/

Absolutely viable if you don't want winjew 10

how do you know they exists if you dont know they exists?

sure
but unless you play games why bother with windows?

Linux has games tho

honestly, yes. For a few more years at least. at any rate, it's better than 8 or 10

If you don't configure it correctly like the twitter rant guy then of course it doesn't.

>It doesn't even claim to disable telemetry fully any more
It does. docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
>You can configure telemetry at the Security level, turn off Windows Defender telemetry and MSRT reporting, and turn off all other connections to Microsoft network endpoints as described in this article to help prevent Windows from sending any data to Microsoft.

See above.

Same can be said about you.

true, but not all games

>It does
Yeah, good luck with that. Try disabling all of the telemetry and monitor your traffic with something.

I did. Did you?

it's viable for most tasks but eventually you'll be forced to upgrade because dx12 only games and vendors will start making software exclusive to windows 10

How much do you get paid per post, Pajeet? I've locked down Windows 10 as much as is possible and still see things randomly trying to call home via my firewall, let alone what's going on at a deeper level, hidden inside other processes. Windows 10 is spyware. Its entire business model is based around collecting data on its users. Anybody who thinks that it can be "turned off" is delusional, or getting paid to pretend to be.

Prove it, nigger.

What you monitored it with?

>Windows 10 is spyware
Agree, but let me correct one thing for you.
>Windows is spyware
There, all better now.

>Windows 10 LGBT

>I've locked down Windows 10 as much as is possible
You obviously didn't.

A pcap file as captured by virtualbox that only contains local network broadcasts is the best I could give you but I didn't save it.

See above.
>b-but it's designed to detect virtualbox and hide

what did you exactly do to achieve telemetry free winblows? last time I've checked ltsb was still making connections to Microsoft

It's the last good Windows Microsoft has made. Aside privacy issues and botnet complaints aside, my main gripe with 8 and 10 are the completely different UIs and options Microsoft has changed for some reason instead just sticking with what works.

how does this makes you feel shills?

See If you just set the level to security and disable msrt and defender telemetry as mentioned in the article you've gotten rid of most of it.
Other connections you'll see aren't really telemetry.
For example there's a persistent connection used for push notifications akin to what google has on android. Any app can use that service to push notifications without maintaining a separate connection. There's a group policy that disables it.

Other than that I just disable web search, cortana and the lock screen spotlight bullshit. I leave updates, connectivity checks and such enabled.

>>Other connections you'll see aren't really telemetry.
lmao, so you dont even try to hide you cant configure it yourself to not send anything

use whatever shit OS runs on your toaster

but do us all a favor
if you connect it to the open web, shoot it and then yourself, k?

>LTSB
that's really cool user. It would be even cooler I could install my memevidia GPU drivers on it.

id rather not connect from 10 than 7, my data is more safe this way

LOL, right through the truth

>updating windows sucks ass
it truly does, I hadn't updated my windows 7 in years, now that I actually want to update it is taking a long time to catch up

t.malware.provider

>obligatory Linux is better
>obligatory meme.jpg

No, install Windows 10

Looks like you didn't check the article I linked to.
You can disable all the other connections and there's detailed instructions available.

The point is that just by toggling three settings you're free from actual telemetry. The rest are used for functionality that's not data gathering.

>The rest are used for functionality that's not data gathering.
Of course, user, of course :)

this article really activates my testicles

Linux is a good operating system if you don't game
My desktop runs Kali Linux
However I find it far easier to use windows on my laptop for school and such

ken goy?
fuck you

You can disable that, no more eating up your bandwidth & eating up resources on startup.

Scripts aren't even needed if you want to do the "step-by-step" process manually.

Considering 2/3 of my game library runs on Linux (and the other 1/3 are kinda shit) I use it for gaming too.

>we should be getting a new Windows by now but Micrococksuckers are still trying to shove 10 down our throat