github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autoload.lua
diff.pics/4LzGZRjlRdZN/1
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/player/lua/osc.lua
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/osc.rst
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>wm4SL
(I) decided against it, because:
- compiling wm4SL to GLSL/SPIRV/HLSL will require writing a compiler for each, which is not fun in C
- it will have bugs, and debugging this will be lots of wasted effort
- the feedback we get on errors will be worse
- it will make code more developer-hostile (since developers now have to learn wm4SL instead of just using GLSL which is already well-known)
- it will break all existing user shaders unless they're rewritten in wm4SL (and I'm not too keen on pulling a mozilla)
- it would probably be easier to just write a GLSL->SPIRV compiler from scratch
- it would probably be even easier to just fix glslang

Projector, bitstreaming, windows and no-anime-only guys should keep using madvr.

Why do you think so?

- Angle is shit.
- Dxinterop doesn't work with d3d11va.
- MadVR has nice projector features.
- MadCustomRes makes everything simpler for perfect bit streaming.
- NGU Sharp is majestic to upscale 720p and 1080p real action movies to 4K.

in b4 rossy

What about rossy? He likes madvr?

Where do I have to put lua scripts?

I've put them into four different places I've been suggested by the documentation, but autoloader still start by default.

still doesn't start*

On Linux, that is.

/mpv/scripts

>What about rossy? He likes madvr?
He likes ANGLE

Doesn't work.

I've now put them in:

~/mpv/scripts/
~/.mpv/scripts/
~/config/mpv/scripts/
~/.config/mpv/scripts/

And somewhere in root I don't remember.

The --write-filename-in-watch-later-config option completely doesn't work for me. I'm using the latest git.

-rgb, -yuv or without suffix, which one is better?

ui in a video player still profoundly shit? well look who is going to stay with mpc-hc till mpv either gets a real ui or mpc-hc stops functioning.

Use RGB or the one without suffix.

Thanks.

>well look who is going to stay with mpc-hc till mpv either gets a real ui or mpc-hc stops functioning.
nice blog post

Is there a downscaler for ravu or are all of them upscalers?

they're image doublers

haasn a cute

wats the best madvr settings

Is there any way to speed up decoding of h265 video on an old-ish cpu? It seems to run almost okay. But I get frame drops here and there.

What's a good config for anti-ringing?

SSSR

Is there any way to make a push to activate subtitles and have it go away when I release?

My Japanese allows me to understand like 90% of the conversations but sometimes I'd like to just flash subs up for a second and it'd be nice to just have a button to do that.

Press v

That you have to turn off and on.

sounds like a use case for a lua binding

Have you ever found subtitles helpful while learning Japanese? I ask because I know subtitle groups (official and fansub) often tend to do a bunch of stuff that changes the content and structure of the dialogue.
>localization (changing nouns, jokes, puns, etc.. to something analogous in Western culture, also removing honorifics and changing titles and stuff)
>editing (specifically: rephrasing things so that they flow better in English)
>moving lines around
>etc...

I'm bilingual in Spanish and English and I can't stand watching Spanish content with English subs or vice versa because the subs seem totally different from what was said. I've heard similar things from other friends who are bilingual in mandarin and other languages. So I'm kind of skeptical about their usefulness for learning.

I know you guys are all closeted MPC fans irl, so anyone can tell me what's the difference between the "normalize" and the "boost" option? I need louder audio, but without distortion in my animus. Thx.

>>>/reddit/

I've been on Linux for over 15 years, user. MPC won't ever be relevant to me unless they make a Linux version (though even then I doubt it would be worth using over MPV).

Normalization and Boost are common audio features though (they appear in all sorts of stuff including music players and sound engines).

Boost:
>Increase volume by a certain multiplier.
For the most part you should NOT use this unless you've got some special situation that calls for it. It can amplify background noise (static or buzzing) and it can oversaturate your audio and cause clipping. Instead you should adjust the volume on your software (operating system/software) and speakers (ideally ensure that your operating and speakers are each at less than 80% volume to avoid distortion).
youtube.com/watch?v=9uEtworGLrU

Normalize:
>Could mean a few different things. One possibility is that it adjusts the volume of each file individually (during playback) so that on average all files will have similar volume.
>Alternatively it could actually be adjusting the volume of the file as it plays back. This would make loud scenes quieter and quiet scenes louder.

In general you should avoid using such features (if possible) since they distort audio and can cause unpleasant sound phenomena. The better solution is to get better audio hardware (and configure it correctly).

Ty for the in-depth and actually helpful post.

>Normalize: [...]This would make loud scenes quieter and quiet scenes louder.
Isn't that what DRC does? (pic related) I have used normalize before in audio files, to lower the volume and avoid clipping, but it baffled me when I found it in MPC (not enabled but) with a default value of 400%, suggesting it could be used as amplification.

>avoid using such features (if possible) since they distort audio and can cause unpleasant sound phenomena. The better solution is to get better audio hardware (and configure it correctly).
I've got the hardware, but I'm a lazy faggot and wanted to avoid getting out of the bed and forever adjusting the volume knob, since why I wanted to find a software solution to adjust the sound individually, only in MPC. Oh well...

>Isn't that what DRC does? (pic related)
>pic related

>In general you should avoid using such features
Incorrect, filters can be useful for shitty audio and old shitty movies.

No "hardware" is going to fix it, EQ to meet your PREFERENCE is fine as well too.

my dear dumb linux user since 15 years with one of the shittiest audio outputs

>DRC vs normalization
They're very similar and since I don't use them I don't really understand the distinction. For the most part I tend to think of them as synonymous (though I know they are different somehow).

>I'm a lazy faggot
Set your hardware volume knob to about 70%-80% (think of this as the maximum) and then only decrease/increase the volume via software.

It's also possible that the "normalization" option there does what you want so maybe poke around MPC's documentation if there is any (MPV has amazeballs documentation, imo; no idea about MPC).

How do I make it autoloop for any file I open with it?

>Incorrect, filters can be useful for shitty audio and old shitty movies.
That's exactly what I meant by that line. In general you should avoid using them unless you have some special situation like the ones you described.

Typically, unless I'm dealing with a microphone device or something I rarely use those features. Typically I just search for a better rip/edition of the movie (it's often not just easier but more satisfying in the end). Sometimes however it is unavoidable, as you said.

Get one of these and set up a keystroke to play back from the beginning.
youtube.com/watch?v=mM5q1Pzod1I

add loop to mpv.conf

>In general you should avoid using such features (if possible) since they distort audio and can cause unpleasant sound phenomena. The better solution is to get better audio hardware (and configure it correctly).
shift+l

I see you are not only retarded but also autistic.

Is there an option to play the next playlist item automatically?

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autoload.lua

I'm already using that, but when a video finishes playing, it just pauses rather than opens the next file.

>not using slimbox

What's wrong with you?

I cannot tell difference between opengl-hq vs nothing ;_;

Watch a 576x432 avi file from 199X and go fullscreen, then you'll notice a difference.

If you test it with a 1080p movie on a 1080p screen you'll notice no difference because there are no scalers involved.

diff.pics/4LzGZRjlRdZN/1
scale=spline36 is what opengl-hq uses by default

I watch 1080s with 4k monitor

scale=nearest will look fine then

I think my eye sight is too shit to tell the difference.

>DRC vs normalization
They are essentially the same term, but there are like a trillion different techniques here so the results may vary wildly. The key fact to point out here is that the window size has a massive effect on the result.

Audio normalization over a very short window size (anything from 1 to a small handful of samples) will result in much louder (but more consistent) loudness overall. This can either be linear or (often) threshold-based. This is also called “compression”, and it's the main technique behind the loudness war; but the net effect is that the dynamic range of the samples is reduced.

Audio normalization over a medium window size (e.g. a second or two) will result in more consistent loudness without affecting the “dynamic” peaks, but it usually leads to weird artifacts like over-amplifying quiet regions of the audio or oscillating back and forth between high and low amplification whenever somebody starts/stops speaking.

Audio normalization over a long window size (10+ seconds or minutes) will result in consistent loudness overall, but won't actually reduce dynamic range within a scene (and can therefore still leave you with very loud and very quiet sections). This essentially what you're doing with techniques like replay-gain, which normalizes over a “whole track” or “whole album” window.

A good audio normalization scheme (e.g. EBU R128) will uses multiple window sizes and do stuff like scene detection to respond quickly to sudden changes in the overall loudness without destroying dynamic peaks or over-amplifying noise. (The recommended filter to use here is `loudnorm`, which is based in libebur128). It's also tunable to let you pick how much loudness variation you want.

What happens if I load multiple nnedi3 resizer shaders at same time?

For me, it's MUCH, MUCH harder to see any difference on my 4K screen compared to literally any to any 1080p screen, due to the smaller pixel size.

They would get applied in order. So for example if you load NNEDI3 twice and the first one goes from 1280x720 to 2560x1440, the second one would go from 2560x1440 to 5120x2880. But all of the conditions would get evaluated separately. The generated NNEDI3 shaders from mpv-prescalers use --max-downscaling-ratio of 1.6 by default.

So if your monitor is only 1080p, it will skip all passes that would go above 3072x1728; even if you load the shader 20 times in a row.

Thanks a lot for the clear explanation, user!

>For me, it's MUCH, MUCH harder to see any difference on my 4K screen compared to literally any to any 1080p screen, due to the smaller pixel size.
hahahahahahahahaha

>--max-downscaling-ratio of 1.6 by default
How to change it?

>slimbox
what is it, user? Cant find anything related to video playing

ty

t. 1080p poorfag

This is my .mpv/lua_settings/osc.conf

It's a layout option for the osc.
Here's a list of defaults:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/player/lua/osc.lua

*lua-settings

thanks, looks nice! I didnt know there was different built in layouts...

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/osc.rst
>Currently available are: box, slimbox, bottombar and topbar

>For me, it's MUCH, MUCH harder to see any difference on my 4K screen compared to literally any to any 1080p screen, due to the smaller pixel size.
Maybe because its much harder to upscale to 4K so everything looks equally shit :)

Yeah, I remember now too more clearly. I'll try a tldr:
- DRC "makes loud scenes quieter and quiet scenes louder". In consumer audio-video equipment you will find it as a "night-mode" audio setting.
- Normalize >100% makes everything louder in a linear and proportional way.
- Normalize

No.. it looks WAY better than on any 1080p monitor. Like for example spline36 vs ewa_lanczos vs bilinear on a 1080p monitor is fucking night and day: bilinear blurry as shit, spline36 aliases all over the place, ewa_lanczos looks reasonable.

On my calibrated 4K IPS panel, all three of them look WAY better than even ewa_lanczos on my 1080p TN shit monitor: I basically can't see ringing, aliasing or anything of the sort.

lol

Well, if the monitor is bigger you also have to sit farther away to have it fully in view, so maybe the scaling isn't noticeable as much.

You're still doubling chroma watching a 1080p video on a 1080p display. Don't spread misinformation.

>chroma
First time I hear this. What exactly is that supposed to be and why does it get doubled?

Color information. Its usually half of detail (luma) resolution.

What does "half of detail resolution" mean?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
I see. Sounds smart.

You need luma and chroma to make an RGB frame, chroma is basically the color information. The scaling factor between luma and chroma is usually 2 for video content, which is why you have to upscale chroma before merging it with luma in order to create the RGB frames.

>RGB frames
What about YUV frames?

? The video frames are in YUV, you convert them to RGB

>no option to play next file in folder after finishing the current file like in MPC HC

how can i watch comfy anime in bed if i have to getup and play the new episode everytime

>>no option to play next file in folder after finishing the current file
But you can

I miss these mpv faces.

how?
top left is literally me right now

It werks for me. Just drag multiple files and they will play after each other. Or use autoload script.

how do i make autospeedwin act only on fullscreen

So I've gotten nnedi3 to work.
and I swear to god I see no practical difference, in 1080p DON encode upscaled to 2160p with it or without it.

I'm fucking blind I swear.

>how?
link is in the OP genius

got your back bro

Are there any config configurations that I need to enable to playback 10bit HDR 4k material with mpv?

Because with mpc i needed to change few things with madvr at least to get it work properly.

Ayo how the fuck do I watch chinese cartoons at their best on this shilled player?

We really could use some CounterPillow shitposting up in these threads

>We really could use some CounterPillow shitposting up in these threads
Wat?

It's not possible.

RAAAVUUU!

Wait for FSRCNN.

Will the placebo shit work on Vulkan?

This.
Why can't I fucking download a player like I did with KCP and get the best shit with a few simple clicks without engaging in terminal autismo that tickles your haxxor larp neurons.

MPC isn't at its 'best' out of the box either