Defend this

Defend this.

protip: can't

Other urls found in this thread:

quorumlanguage.com/evidence.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why would anyone use VB anymore?
>C# master race

The syntax is so simple a normie can figure out what an uncommented simple program does.

>this is true for many languages
Also,
>readability means nothing when you have global variables named shit like "gsngIR"

mother of god. op was right, no one can defend it.

Who would want too? It's useful but C# exists. Everyone just uses C# if you want to work with VS or anything Microsoft.

I used to make fun of VB programmers. "Macro hackers".

Eventually, I realized that several people I knew were able to create real business value amazingly quickly in VB6. I don't think any programming environment has been more productive for desktop business application development.

One of the brightest guys I've ever known, an EE and head of engineering, used it to help develop an image correction algorithm. He was able to get right down to building the algorithm instead of dicking around with drawing routines like I'd have to do.

Often times, hype and programmer "caste systems" are about hype rather than real, meaningful value. Assess technology objectively and don't worry so much about trends.

Easy to learn...great beginners language
Easy to maintain...very readable
Very short development time in comparison to other more "robust" languages
Great for UI prototyping, best in the biz

VB3 was my first language when I was a kid. Expanding upon the basic programming fundamentals has allowed me to learn more language than I care to list.

VBA was actually a pretty good gateway drug to real programming. VB helped make the transition smooth.

writing vb3 proggies for the prodigy and aol services when i was 15yo

Visual Basic is just C# with some VB syntax added in. There are syntax translators that convert VB to C# very easily, there is no reason for VB to exist other than Bill Gates only contribution to Microsoft was making BASIC compilers

Arguably f# is better

VB.NET babby detected

i read that as "i dont know the difference between c# and vb so ima pretend"

learn it to create macro virus, infect computers with other malware and then get the nudes.

>Basic
Why even use that shit when fucking Notepad++ offers more than that

>group policy scripts in legacy server environments
>excel memes (vodafone uk uses VB / .Net / VBA macros in stores)

getting the feeling a lot of you kids dont know the difference between vb, vb.net and vba

>b b but assembly is more efficient

a

How did he do that? Vb6 doesn't have those libraries and framework!

It does if everything is 'hammer' I can see a way he'd use VB6 to do that fuck efficiency tho

vb.net was released in 2001. That's 16 years ago. If you start programming around age 12, that means 28 year olds would only know bastardised vb.net.

I'm sorry, but we both know Sup Forums's demograpic is younger than 28.

us vb6 alums know how to bypass the framework and use win32 directly

libraries? extensible by any dll

VB6 actually had a relatively competent C FFI

sorry man im old. 37
vb 3 was my first lang

37 and counting.... sigh

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGZU}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
^5

One of the reasons c# is so popular right now is because of how it handles big data and scales. Every company I have worked for so far uses it for everything from Geo coding to erp bom reports and shipping and receiving programs. Its got support for things micro orms and mvc. We used to use it for shell srcipts in vb6 application for qa paveway missle test programs at an aero space company I worked for. That shit was fun.

Install Gambas.

VB6 is still good.

i like vb
Console.Writeline("Kill me plz")

easy to use
easy to hack something together quickly

I figured he was only using vb6 to make that program, even our erp system had a dll for vb6.. which is why we used it

feel you man, worse things can always happen

There's LITERALLY no point in using VS now that Rider is out desu

Well the thing is it supports reg x so really that added some life to it... For me anyways, now everything has to be c# for me or java

still good... still good

On Error a goto hell

Delphi was just as productive desu
Hell even Borland C++ was more productive than regular C++. VCL was a fucking breeze to work with.

MsgBox("VB is fiiiiine")

my first language, I will never forget this piece of shit

This is a great language to separate out the larpers from people who actually program for a living. While I work in C# I've been impressed with how people who work in VB.net can throw together a fully working prototype in a day or two with a GUI and everything.

These days the alternative to that is fucking electron, except people actually provide those shitty prototypes to customers as an MVP.

Widly used, so you might need to learn it sooner or later.

it just workz

Legacy dogshit, impossible to avoid.

On Error Resume Next

>How did he do that? Vb6 doesn't have those libraries and framework!

No idea what you're talking about. We were working on a method of correcting for image distortion in projected images (keystoning, offset projector, bad projector glass, etc.). He was able to simply draw to a canvas when simulating distortion methods. Then he worked on a system of linear equations to correct for the distortion.

By comparison, I'd have had to get a device context, create an offscreen bitmap, render into the bitmap, then blit the bitmap to the screen. I'd have spent hours dicking around on boiler plate bullshit rather than working on the part of the project that creates business value.

>Delphi was just as productive desu

I've never actually met a single human being who ever used Borland Delphi. I remember the Rapid Application Development demos being mind-blowing. Specifically, something about editing the layout code and having it live-update in the application. But Microsoft poached all their best people to create Java 2.0, er, I mean, C#.

>Hell even Borland C++ was more productive than regular C++. VCL was a fucking breeze to work with.

I used Borland C++ and I don't recall it being much better than Visual C++. Then again, I wasn't doing a lot of real-world coding at the time.

>VB6 is still good.

A couple of years ago, I was listening to a programming podcast and they mentioned that, at the time, there were something like 30,000 active developers in the world using VB6. Not modern Visual Basic (which is basically C# with some syntactic sugar), but actual VB6.

Sounds like I should start pimping my vb6 skills instead of devops

>
By comparison, I'd have had to get a device context, create an offscreen bitmap, render into the bitmap, then blit the bitmap to the screen

Sounds like you should stop working with native gdi+

>VB creates values

yeah when I get paid to refactor terrible VB into a sane language

BTW he did that by vector mapping a simple imagebox. you can do the same with .net

the real skill came into understanding the coordinate translative in terms of how it applied to his problem

oh poor baby, one of my earliest IT jobs was porting Fortran code to vb6+FoxPro during the y2k scare

correction: vbclassic + foxpro. Think I was using the 16bit release of vb4 for most clients, 32bit hadn't caught on yet regardless of what win98 tried to sell you on

Fuck VB, it eschews conventions every other reputable language established or obeyed.

>oh poor baby
did you even read the post you're quoting? no one cares about your dumb jobs you smarmy turd

>Great for UI prototyping

This is literally the only good use of VB, and native desktop UIs are D E A D dead.

Easy to maintain because it's "very readable" is complete shit. Only an illiterate monkey would use this reasoning.

Easy to learn, only for beginners because everyone who already learned to program learned a better language.

Short development time is an aspect of the development methodology not the language. I can write C++, JS and Go just as fast as each other, the main time sink is conceptual problem solving not writing code.

My first 'windows' programs were made in VB. In fact a lot of programs were back in the late 90's, early 2000's. It made windows programming so very simple and fun especially as I was a kid playing with VB3.0. Imagine Q-Basic but with forms. Now fuck off with your sjw frameworks.

Stay mad pussy

This was my first 'language' I learned as a teenager apart from HTML, taught myself before taking a class in highschool, made some "proggies" for AOL chatrooms and shit. Good times.

Name one.

>This is literally the only good use of VB, and native desktop UIs are D E A D dead.

That's completely false. There are hundreds of thousands of small businesses that depend on custom desktop Windows software in the United States alone. Local banks, for example, keep one VB guy I know very well employed.

Again, objectively analyze things. Don't just fall for the hype train. Is growth in other areas far higher? Yep. Does that mean the old, boring tech isn't used? Nope.

>the real skill came into understanding the coordinate translative in terms of how it applied to his problem

...that's the point.

>native gdi+

GDI *plus*? LOL.

Kiddo, this was long before GDI+.

How would one get started with vb6 now that all the support has shifted for vb.net?

>Everyone just uses C# if you want to work with VS or anything Microsoft.
I guess cpp is more popular.

DO YA VIZUAL BAZIK

vbs

Simple.
Good.
Clean.
Does the job.

/thread

No point to start using VS. Migrating big project might be too much hassle, especially if company didn't use any JetBrains IDE prior to that.

Easy.
quorumlanguage.com/evidence.html