What to do with Dell Optiplex

Hey guys, I recently got my hands on two old Dell optiplex's for free. They each have a core 2 duo and 1 GB of RAM and I have been trying to think of what to do with them. I would like to do some kind of servery thing with them as I have unlimited internet and electricity.

I'm open to suggestions

return it

FTP server
Seedbox
Media/plex server

Add RAM, host Minecraft.

771 mod

Install OpenBSD on them

Upgrade ram to 4/8GB, get fastest Core2Duo/771 Xeon or Core2Quad if they're supported. Then use them for remote backups, FTP server, pfsense/firewall.

Electronics recycling.

NAS
Seedbox

Server:
FTP
Web
VPN
DNS
DHCP

Upgrade them to 4GB of RAM, sell them on Craigslist for $60-75 each. Someone will buy them.

swap out CPU add moar ram and a graphics card and boom. Ok PC.

Im not 100% sure if the shitty proprietary dell mobo will support the Xeons but ill look into it

What would the benefit be of me hosting a DNS server or VPN in my closet?

iirc Dell Vostro 200 Tower can allows 771 Xeons, just depends on the power supply and which motherboard revision you got.

Put another gigabit nic in it. Install PFsense. Configure it to be your firewall/router/DHCP. Attach your wifi router to the switch and make that just an access point. backup initial setup and play with all the settings. Figure the rest out...

VPN would allow you to access your local home network from anywhere on the web, and make it so that any device you use the VPN on is treated as if it were inside your home network. My dad travels to Iran often, and a lot of major websites and social networks are blocked there, not to mention that some banks don't allow transactions requested from within Iran. So he has a VPN set up at his house, and accesses everything through there.

VPN to connect to your network when you're not at home.
DNS to not use your internet provider's for every PC that connects to your network. Also eases up internal network to use host names instead of IP addresses (I guess if you have static IP addresses for everything this isn't much of an issue)

The BIOS allows the PC to be turned on remotely. So, enable this feature and use one as a file server. Only downside is the limit of drives you have in the case.

Why would you host your own seedbox? Wouldn't this remove the anonymity?

Connect your seedbox to a VPN then if you're such a pussy

Why wouldn't you just torrent through a VPN?

You can keep your seedbox running 24/7

Give it back Jamal.

Reuse the case.
Everything else including the psu goes to the garbage bin.

The case is the least useful thing in terms of the entire machine.

Thing is absolute shit

>Iran has no rothchild bank
>Can't use rothchild bank

Just don't close the laptop case???

add more ram
add a video card.

and maybe some laptop HDD's
turn it into a retro gaming machine or a neat little server for VM's and video capture.

How the fuck do you have free Internet and electricity? Do you live in Iceland or what?

These use a shitty, proprietary PSU (unless it's the fullsize model) which means you won't be able to run anything powerful. I tried a low-profile 750Ti in mine and it wouldn't even boot. Repurposing it as a media server or some shit is a much better idea.

Unlimited is different from free

I already have a main computer I use for work and gaming. These are just extras I am trying to find something neat to do with

you could just rip out the inside and add a APU instead of a dGPU in that case.

even at 250W it should be enough

They also use proprietary motherboards, the moherboard standoffs are part of the case design, and they're in non-standard positions. I got a few for free last year, and I still felt ripped off trying to work with them.
They do make neat hobby servers, though.

nothing, I recently had 4 old c2d prebuilts with one having an e8400, so I filled the ram with 2gb 800 sticks from the others and put another hdd on it. partitioned C: installed wangblows, and it was tortoise slow

This is the only good suggestion in this thread.

Hey, my college wants it PCs back.

Some school you go to when you can't even speak English

Don't try to lecture me, Tyrone. I know what you've been up to.

Give it back, Jamal.

Based Iran.