/pcbg/ - PC Building General - GPU war Edition

Want help?:
>Assemble part list
pcpartpicker.com
>State the budget for your build (and country)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor res + refresh rate
>State your goal for build improvements: lower price? improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5's unless cheap. Consider waiting for Coffee Lake (1 month). 8700K is certain to be the fastest gaming CPU, will be competitive in productivity tasks vs 8-core Ryzen.
>G4560 - poverty builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good bridge between the 1500x and 1200, only get a 1400 if you really need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners increased prices, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Low end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega is shit

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS
Consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/gJwwsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/DWmdRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/B4JCYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fy7DWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/9vpz99
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Amd

>Vega is shit
topkek

How much until 8gb RAM isn't enough for gaming?

Just get a mobo with more than 1/2 RAM slots

I got a mobo with two opteron 6172. The mobo needs 2 8pin power sources. Most probably 32GB DDR3-1333 ram and a GTS 250 (found somewhere in another old computer). PSU calculator said to get at least 550W (I'd buy at least 600W then). The case is very large, so long cables are needed. What power supply do you recommend for this setup?

A few years maybe. Although it's not like it'll be a hard requirement anyway

AMD is way cuter and doesn't look like a holocaust survivor.

>implying small skinny asian isn't the best kind

>being this much of a faggot

I have a noctua thermal paste should i use it over the stock r5 1600 thermal paste?

Stock thermal pastes are generally pretty good quality stuff. Even Intel doesn`t skimp on it, or at least didn`t a while back.

Titasians are best asians,

Asians are gross in general

3dpd are gross, but sometimes I got to compromise with my dick.

Ok then, also how often should i reapply thermal paste

After 5000 miles, or when the temps are getting high, or when this does not apply, read the damn manual.

Should I pull the trigger now on a r5 1600 combo (mobo, cpu and ram) or wait for coffe lake i5 and compare. How many more weeks do we need to wait for benchmarks? I can't seriously stand any more my i5 2500 (non k) in games. But I don't wan to buy the r5 and then get buyers remorse if the new intel offerings are better or AMD just drops the prices.

lmao ok thnx

Does it matter if I OC a ryzen5 1600 above 3.8Ghz with a gtx 1060 6gb? To OC above 3.8 I'd need aftermarket cooling and it might be useless if the GPU is the weaklink and not the CPU.

The difference is pretty small so I wouldn't bother.

it would certainly be a waste of your time to overclock it with that GPU if all you're doing is gaming

pcpartpicker.com/list/gJwwsJ
Would this build work even with a trash gpu carried over from my old machine, or should i just keep waiting for them to come back down?

>8700K is certain to be the fastest gaming CPU, will be competitive in productivity tasks vs 8-core Ryzen.

Thoughts on a refurbished monitor?

Girl 2 is thinner than AMDs profit margins. Girl 1 a best.

R8 my $550 complete gaming pc with freesync ips

pcpartpicker.com/list/DWmdRG

GPU crash when please god

>AMD respectfully dresses women in stylish yet flattering dresses, with minimal branding, and even empowers them to speak their mind and provide their female insight by equipping them with a microphone
>Nvidia degrades its women with skimpy dresses and brands their skin as if they were cattle

this is why I support AMD

pcpartpicker.com/list/B4JCYr
oops

>getting a 1070 but that shitty monitor

i just copied the OP without reading it. i'd remove that line if i noticed it. sorry.

> Gigabyte GTX1080 + Destiny2 for 480bucks
> gigabyte GTX1070 for 420

I only have a 1080p monitor but i guess that's a good deal, right?

Also will my unoverclocked 4770k be enough for the card if i decide to buy a new monitor?

soon Goy, it happened in 2013 and the R9 prices were dirt cheap at that time.

the 1080 is effectively the same price as the 1070 according to your deal. Yes, get the 1080, and the 4770k should be definitely enough if you don't intend to "hurr durr max evera thang".

will battlenet damage my pc hardware?

>led cooler
nice meme. get CRYORIG H7 instead.
also faster ram, 3000mhz or more, in dual channel (2x4gb)

i'd get the gtx 1080. both are an overkill for 1080p. your 4770k will do fine in any resolution, consider overclocking it though.

you should go with b250 instead of h270, unless you specifically need some of the functions.
get ram in dual channel.

imo you're overpaying for 1600x and that cooler, that extra 0.2GHz isn't worth it.
why that ssd? you can have 500gb m.2 for $150. not worth paying $50 extra for higher numbers in synthetic benchmarks.

you can use your old gpu in the meantime.

>will battlenet damage my pc hardware?
literally wut?

4770k will last longer then a 1080ti.

Just grab a 1080

my gtx 770 died one day after installing origin for the first time (bad company 2 ran through steam)

could be coincidence...

absolutely a coincedence

yes its a virus reformat immediately

Ello jewish revealing man

Why is 8700k a bad option? It will gaymen similar to 7700k but give two more cores for extra tasks.

1600 is solid as fuck. I got buyers remorse only because I realized it was too much for what I need and I don't even play vidya or stream that much anymore. Ended up giving the build to my nephews and going back to a i5-2500, oddly enough. What GPU are you using?

So my $70 used parts build isn't booting. I performed possibly the dumbest CPU test ever by removing the fan and plugging it in, then starting it up and holding a finger on the CPU to see if it heats up. The fan came on and the MOBO lights up, but the CPU doesn't heat up at all. Is the CPU the problem?

Yeah, he should get a Ti to match that monitor.

Never ever

h270 was only $6 more than the cheapest b250, worth it I think. Changed ram to 2x4
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fy7DWX

r7 360 is rated 30% above a 1030 and 30% below a 1050, should be good for e-sports eh?

it is not out yet and no one knows how it will perform. but my personal prediction is that it will be an overpriced stuttering housefire like the 7700k or worse.

How badly would a i5 6600k (stock) bottleneck a 1080? Should I go ahead and get a i7 6700k instead?

It would not

did you plug the 4/6 pin CPU power cable on the motherboard? There is the fan power cable and there is the 4/6 pin cable which is supposed to power the CPU.
pic related

my onahole and my portable onahole are so cute

>How badly would a i5 6600k (stock) bottleneck a 1080?
it won't unless you play severely limited games in which case gpu rarely matters
>Should I go ahead and get a i7 6700k instead?
only if you have money burning a hole in your pocket

You'll need to swap the CPU with a known working CPU to know for sure. I've had that issue and it ended up being the mobo too, on some fucking shit Biostar board.

>I performed possibly the dumbest CPU test ever by removing the fan and plugging it in, then starting it up and holding a finger on the CPU to see if it heats up.

severly cpu limited games*
i.e., total war series, planetside 2, etc

Ok thank you, my gtx 660ti is dying and it's time to upgrade lol

>NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot

Why not? Is it overkill?

The thing is I am in the middle of buying my parts. I have everything but the CPU and motherboard

I won't be able to return some of the stuff by the time the 8700k comes out(in a month?). Hopefully nothing is doa. But ryzen will have 2 more generations of cpus I can just add on to my current motherboard though so I might consider that.

I don't play those games so I think I'm.fine, thank you

Unless you're going for 144hz, you rarely have to get a new CPU just for the fear of bottlenecking. I'm replacing my GTX 760 with a 1080 this week and will be using an i5-3570k with it.

>But ryzen will have 2 more generations of cpus I can just add on to my current motherboard though so I might consider that.

You answered your own question user, AM4 is superior for that very reason. But if you go with the 8700k then whenever you want to upgrade you have to spend $500+ for the whole MB+CPU. Don't forget that Ryzen comes with a superior cooler unlike the shit that ships with Intel.

I did.

The motherboard seems to be working fine, and I already trashed the CPU so it's too late. Of all the used shit I bought the CPU was what I expected to fail desu

I am assuming that. Hopefully I am making the right choice and AMD doesn't jew me in the next years.

I'll go ryzen

How much fps / performance does one gain (in general) when moving down from say 1080p to 720p?

>Ryzen 5 1500X
>A320 2.1 Gigabyte board
>8gb ddr5 2400mhz ram
>1050 Ti
> 500ssd and 1tb HDD
>Stock everything else
>Around $780 for everything

Did I do good? Rig is running most of everything at high without an issue.

i also hope so user, the shit they pulled with vega was jewy at best though.

get a 240 gigs SSD and upgrade to a 2 TB HDD

>A320
user no

Will a 450w PSU power an FX8350 and HD7850 will no issues?

>FX8350
Don't overclock it and you're fine

I'm actually locking at 4.0 and undervolting because the MOBO I got cheap is apparently a fire hazard.

how about not buying fx in the current year

Why so?

its shit and for only if you are completely destitute, not overclocking, and dont want any extra features or expandablity

if you are on a budget get a b350 and save yourself the trouble

is 550w enough for a single 1080, hd + sdd, and a ryzen 5 which will probably be overclocked

If it's quality stuff from EVGA or Seasonic, yes.

What's a good case and mobo combo if I want to build a new small form factor, Ryzen-based gaming PC?

>EVGA
>not seasonic reference
>quality
lol

Never planned on upgrading anyhow. Runs most of everything flawlessly so far.

are qled monitors good? looking at the samsung U28H750UQE. is it better than ips?

pick out a form factor that's big enough for how many drives and how large you want your gpu
i usually just start with picking out a case

>he actually got a a320

when the FUCK are gpus going to drop in price? i have been waiting for months. i want to build my first gaming pc without paying my soul.
>t. xbox fag

What do you mean they're already at msrp?

Yes.
Diminishing returns.

They wont for a while. Give a budget mein nigger.

i just want a pc to play ow and bot some programs that is only available on windows and torrent private tracker
i need it to be small and energy efficient and quiet
should i get a desktop for this shit or a nas and figure something out for the botting?
i want to move to mac because windows is fucking all my shit up atm

I already have one.

A Tomahawk is what, $10 more?

Wait for Raven Ridge.

then throw it in the trash and get ryzen, even that shitty r3 1200 is better

The FX8350 is much better than any Ryzen under 7 in every area except gaming and power consumption. Besides, I only need a PSU and case which is like $50 total with that $10 EVGA 450w right now.

Where are good trustworthy places to buy a used gt 1030. Looking for cheap. Like shit cheap. Just need some cuda cores.

current setup is an x79 w/ a 4330k 16gb ram
GTX770
I mostly do linux kernel builds with it which makes the processor worth it.
I game semi regularly at 1080 @ 60hz
I'm seeing some drop in performance on newer games but other than trying to find a xenon somewhere is it worth doing any upgrading?
I have thought about a 1060/70 but with mining going on its almost seems worth getting a 9 series.

>>Vega is shit

Exactly why is Vega shit? Is it just because they were forced to raise the price? Blame the miners it's not AMD's fault.

same time that ram goes back to normal

Any advice on upgrading this PC?
pcpartpicker.com/list/9vpz99

Have had it for a couple years and it's been good to me but the GPU is dying and I think it's time to upgrade some things, CPU/GPU mostly but I will probably need a new PSU as well.

any recommended mice for a gamer/video editor
I have one now thats failing but I liked the variable dpi switch

Depends on what you want/budget, good mid-range that does 1080p@60hz is R5 1600 + 16gb RAM@3200 + GTX1060. So long as your PSU works you could keep it.

You could also just throw a new GPU in there but even a 1060 will probably bottleneck.