Why do they even bother putting right shift on laptop keyboards? I'd much prefer full-size arrow keys

Why do they even bother putting right shift on laptop keyboards? I'd much prefer full-size arrow keys.

reminder best way to browse the internet is with arrow keys and page up/down

SO OP is left handed

hohohoho.

I'd rather have every button of this height. There's no reason to have square buttons, it's just a crippling tradition.

I use both shifts regularly. I always use the shift on the opposite side of the keyboard to the key I'm pressing.

Space-bar and shift+space-bar god tier reporting in

japanese keyboards have a gimped right shift, it's not an enjoyable experience, besides it'd make iso layouts practically unusable

forgot pic

HE QUIC BROWN OX UMP OVER HE Z OG

no, j/k is up/down, J/K cycles tabs, and H/L goes back/forward

>it's not an enjoyable experience
Maybe because you're retarded.

>dat layout
absolutely disgusting! who makes shit keyboards like that? they should go bankrupt.

>shift+space-bar
Never knew that one.

the quick brown ox did what to the ZOG?

HE QUIK BROWN FO JUPS OER HE LA DOG

There is a non-trivial amount of software which maps specific functions to the right shift key in particular.
It'd be throwing away compatibility with that software.
At least on Windows & x86, the whole thing is a giant legacy hack. They wouldn't drop something like that.

examples?

There is stuff that captures the pointer and uses the right shift as an escape key. One of the Virtualisation suites did this but which specifically is beyond recall at the moment.
I'm pretty sure that one of the accessibility shortcuts also uses it as a toggle.
A couple of kebab languages use it to change text orientation.

I use vi keys... for everything...

>He's a touchtypelet

Well, virtualization suites use it because statistically it's one of the least used keys on the keyboard. Which just proves the point that there is no reason to have this huge right shift.

shut your mouth OP!
You shut it right now!
Those of us using IBM 3151 emulation on AIX need that right key, it almost always maps to CR.

>Maybe because you're retarded.
or maybe it's because 5 of the top 7 most frequent letters at the start of english words, taoiswcb, are on the left hand side of the keyboard implying the right shift is used

you can't just gimp or remove the right shift entirely unless you type like a retard

why do Japanese keyboards look British?

wasn't going to mention the iso layout but I selected the pic so what the hell, if you remove the right shift on an iso layout you're basically gimping the keyboard to no usable shift key, ansifags complain about the left iso shift but really once the " is moved to the 2 key there's almost no need for the left shift outside of the programming layer

of all the useless keys on a keyboard right shift certainly isn't one of them

>>Maybe because you're retarded.
>or maybe it's because 5 of the top 7 most frequent letters at the start of english words, taoiswcb, are on the left hand side of the keyboard implying the right shift is used
am I not supposed to be using my pinky then?...

it is a bit of a bastard mix of iso and ansi layouts isn't it, # is on the 3 key like ansi, " is on the 2 key like iso and obviously it has the iso enter, the rest of the layout is utterly retarded for some reason

>am I not supposed to be using my pinky then?...
why would you want to move your whole hand into an awkward angle just to get something like A or B when you could use your right pinky to hit the right shift and have it be in a fluid motion

idk man
maybe try not having huge fingers

where can i find an ultrabook with this keyboard layout?

>Person that does not type properly

I type 120 wpm. I don't care if it's proper

space or pg up/dn is better

What exactly does right shift do?

thats pretty badass, I use civ keys for everything

shifts right

It's like a regular shift key, but it's on the right.

From Sony?

>hjkl
>np
>io
>ud
>wb
>(shift+)space
>wasd
>middlebutton on trackpoint
>just scrolling
Doesn't everyone

Who /Ctrl-C and V with one hand/ here?
Just use your left pinky desu

real men use hjkl

>all those stickers
jesus fuck

Mouse leftside thumb button assigned to spacebar reporting in.

Comfiest way to scroll down a page. It's like button fapping.

>why would you want to move your whole hand into an awkward angle just to get something like A or B when you could use your right pinky to hit the right shift and have it be in a fluid motion
I think you're the one that types like a retard.

I'm right handed and only use left shift.

trackpad two-finger "natural" scroll

in conjunction with vimium using characters on the left side of the keyboard for link hints

Everyone does that.

The only manufacturers still making these are HP iirc

Check Toshiba too though

It's a damn shame that this kind of layout is dying. I really hate those tiny arrow keys.

absolute best keyboard reporting in

Not Mac users
>option is to the right of C

I've never used the Ctrl, Alt or Shift on the right.

so you can cap Z, A,Q,1 ...

>not using vimfx

if your laptop has a non-standard layout or doesn't have a numpad - your laptop is shit

Depends on how you use the keyboard. One example:

I'm German and I have recently adopted the US ANSI layout because it's more practical for programming and using a CLI than the cluttered mess also known as German ISO. Having a right SHIFT is practical for me because I have to type Ä, Ü and Ö using the right ALT key and if I want them upper case I have to press SHIFT too of course. With the right SHIFT I can hit ALT and SHIFT at the same time with one hand. I wouldn't buy a keyboard without right SHIFT.

75% master race.

numpad is the worst thing to ever happen to laptop keyboards. if the home row is offse the laptop is useless

>he thinks typing is all about speed

TFW webextentions broke VimFX...

Incase one of the shift keys is broken, OR SOME FUCKING NEET SPILLS HIS SODA ON HIS SL510 KEYBOARD THEN PAWNS IT LIKE A NIGGER FAG

?

My old HP laptop has a layout like this. Maybe they still use similar ones to this day.