/sys/ - A dministrator General

Hey guys, let's start something new and fresh.

This thread is for all the sysadmins out there who browse during their day jobs like me.

Generals are cancer and we don't need more just for their own sake

I like this thread,

What kind of skills are required for a sysadmin job?
Are certifications required?
Are you on your feet all day, or is it laid back like I imagine it to be?

how do get jerb ass admin plsthx

>What kind of skills are required for a sysadmin job?
Knowing how to work the tools your company uses and basic scripting.
>Are certifications required?
MSCE, Server+, and maybe Microsoft specific certs. They're really the only thing that makes you stand out. Degrees don't do anything in this field but tell employer's you're not a deadbeat.
>Are you on your feet all day, or is it laid back like I imagine it to be?
It's everybit as laidback as you think it is, until you start getting the once in a blue moon night and weekend calls for emergencies.

Get certs and apply to places. Works better if you're not socially incompetent, or appear to not be.

I got hired with no degree or certs. I got kind of lucky though.

The hard part for me was getting the interview. Once I was in there it was not a big deal because I could talk competently about Linux system administration.

>Are you on your feet all day, or is it laid back like I imagine it to be?

Depends on the company. It's definitely not really lay back all day where I work. Maybe working at like a bank or something, but most people I know in the industry are usually pretty busy.

Pretty easy actually.

Good advise has.

If you can network through a company their always looking for competent Sysadmins who won't fuck up.

Make sure you're familiar with Active Directory, LDAP, etc. For certs you can look into LFCS too

What does /sys/ think about PPP?
Best thing ever or obscure protocol that's not needed in the 21st century?

Stop with all of these fucking generals

They hate us cuz they ain't us

Curious what you guys make as sysadmins, got my net+ and about to test for my sec+ soon and been bouncing between pentesting and sysadmin stuff. A redhat beta testing center just opened up at a college near me so I was thinking of grabbing that cert if I can afford it.

Right now I'm interning and might just take a school tech job because I'd be making double min wage which is what i'm getting now. If anything it should give me some free time to get some more education and obviously real work experience which I don't have any of at the moment.

I feel like pentesting and network security would bleed into my personal life more than I would want, especially compared to a cozy sysadmin job.

KEK.
>Make a thread because butthurt.
>Fake general gains more actual discussion than /sec/ bullshit.

I'm dying.

Depends on what you want, really.

First, yes: Focus on school and make sure you rub them elbows. A good GPA and networking is better than all the certs you could grab.

Second, College Tech jobs are limiting and not very challenging. I recommend applying for internships as soon as you're able. Until then, the campus IT stuff will work just fine.

what is the state of sys.admin.recovery?

Is Gentoo just a meme like kids on Sup Forums say.

setting up multilink point to point with redundancy is a headache

it's good though, why would you question if it's not needed?
it's really tight security wise, but expensive and slow

A+, Sec+, 2 year IT diploma from CC and some service desk experience. Could I be a junior sysadmin? Should I go for a bachelor's in IT or CS?

You going for comptia suite? Just saying you're missing Linux+ and Net+

It's all about where you wanna go and what you know. I'd recommend going for some internships you could land as one. Non-committal hand-on job experience.

What career path did you want?

>why would you question if it's not needed

Apparently it's some kid from /sec/ general who made this to be condescending. Now it's filled with productive collaboration.

I'm going for Net+ next; I know you usually go A+ then Net+ and Sec+ but I was being retarded and decided to pretty much read the entire book in a week.

I THINK I'd like to do security, but I've never worked a day in it so can't say for sure. Sysadmin seems interesting too. Really just wanna leave the Service desk for now for something more technical. I honestly don't know much but the basics + how to Google and talk to people.

Internships usually require you to be in school but the pay is usually low with possibly part time hours, that combined with the cost of school is not a winning formula.

Is being sysadmin so chill that you have nothing better to do during the work time?

Can I be sysadmin with Computer Science degree?

There are two sides to this - the "lax but rare" positions/employers and the "busy out of your mind, 24 hours a day, non stop weapons-grade stress" type. There is also everything in between.

My professional opinion is that you need to interview your prospective employer just as much as they are interviewing you, albeit much more discreetly. If you get the vibe where you could ask them a few generalized questions at the end of the interview, or even a quick walk around, you can make an educated guess whether it will be a good fit for you knowledge, personality, lifestyle, etc.

If you have a needy wife and two brats, you're not going to want to pick a up and coming business that is busy as fuck and not procured or running like clockwork yet.
If you thrive under stress, it might be the place for you to get exposed to a lot of shit very quickly.

Generally, sysadmin is not cozy or chill and a pretty high stress job, often confused with developers and web people. It's not for the faint of heart but is certainly one of the most interesting for those that have an insatiable desire for technology or technical prowess.

I am ^

Also, does anyone notice that sysadmins in here have reddit spacing, almost like we are reply to emails at work?

Top jej

I got a jr sysadmin position with no degree and no certs , only thing I had was my personality during the interview and 1.5 years doing vaguely helpdesk stuff.
To be fair, it was a shitty company and I got laid off due to the company not making money. Just throwing that info out there.
Im actually considering going back to finish my information systems B.S. since I figure I could have a better shot at the "good" I.T. jobs with a degree.
I should also point out, I have about 5 friends who make 60k doing I.T. related stuff, all have non computer related degrees.

What should I learn to become jr sysadmin?

Anyone here have the RHCSA?

I have AIDs. Does it counts?

>often confused with developers
I thought developers had a much more stressful routine.
Generally speaking, what's it like to be a sysadmin? What's your typical day like?
Am I right in assuming that working for a huge non-SJW company, like IBM or Oracle, makes it more likely to have a more relaxed schedule and to be mostly left alone?

If you want a c o m f y sys admin position work at a bank. Know a few people who left technology sector for banking and they all say they do very little day to day.

If you know how to do your job, you'll have plenty of down time. I've managed to lessen most of my day to day workload with automated scripts. On a regular day I do about 2 hours of actual work, and spend the rest of the day babysitting jobs and doing whatever I want in my office. Every couple of months, I do have to do some weekend work and overtime, and some days things just melt down for some reason and you end up working on issues all day.

>AIDS

you have to go back

what scripts did you write to automate shit?

what language did you use?

Do sysadmins just sit there and play vidya all day until shit hits the fan?

Can anyone give me some pointers to scripting, i literally have no idea what things i can/should script at all

noice. how was this general not a thing already?

Not him, but there's an entirely book on automating stuff with Python. If he's better than average then he used bash scripts.

/sec/ faggots

What's the salary range? Are you satisfied with the job?

dling it

is there a Go-to hands down best python book? I've been learning c# for the last year and i want to jump into python fast, not learn what string and int is for 100 pages

>not learn what string and int is for 100 pages

in books you have the capability to ``skip'' content

Be a grumpy ass hole so no one questions you.

yes but those book mostly provide shallow knowledge, i want something compressed and full of shit

You won't be getting that with Go. The language is new and no one cares about it enough to give you a proper reference manual (not even the creators).

I don't get it, what the hell does /sec/ have to do with this thread at all?

not go, i meant python?

You're looking for crash courses and applications book. I used "Python Crash Course" to learn Python. It's basically all hands on stuff and 0 theory.
The only reason this thread was made was because larpers didn't want sysadmins in /sec/

but then /sec/ is going to be only larpers

Better a larper than a sysadmin, amigo.

Isn't finance stressful though?
Also could someone answer my other questions?

>If he's better than average then he used bash scripts.
What?
Also Perl is better for quick scripts

sure, keep trying to justify your existence

The only thing I need to justify is banging your girlfriend.

The guys shilling Microsoft and CompTIA certs are idiots
Maybe for a junior position in a NOC or the "Sysadmin" for a mom and pop store that will suffice... If you want to get stuck making 50k to dick around administering Outlook365, Active Directory or Azure, then go right ahead
But if you plan on working in a serious enterprise/SaaS firm/MSP and actually having granular control/job security, that knowledge is bottom bar, expected by anyone at any level. To actually administer you had better have a solid grasp of VMware/virtualization (+ Horizon/VDI), HCI generally, Linux/Windows server administration, DHCP/DNS, web/email/file server arch, LDAP/Kerberos, knowledge of SSL certs/administration, backup technologies, and modern storage approaches as well as iSCSI/Fiber Channel/storage protocols, physically setting up/removing gear in your DC, understanding business continuation/DR procedures/RPO/RTO, administering AV/security software and dealing with malware.
Oh and knowing web filters, ASAs, firewalls, VLANs/routing/switching is expected too... I'm literally scraping the surface there's much, MUCH more... automation, documentation, internal application support, granular time entry.... None of this takes into account the amount of additional time you'll be spending starting out on-call, spending weekends and nights in your DC, getting woken up at 5AM because some retard "CANT CONNECT TO VPN :((" or dev fucked up something and want to blame network/IT Ops... And yeah if you think this will allow you to stay away from dealing with people you're completely wrong. From autists in your department that fuck everything up so you have to sit with them and try to show them their shitty logic, to end users (especially C level) who will expect you to drop everything to fix their individual bullshit, or ops people who will bring you in on meetings so you can sit and waste your time and then will ask "hey so you can resource this today with no prior planning right"

When I was at my old job, we had a few banks as clients. I've never had a conversation with more relaxed people. And it sometimes took a few days to even get a response. On a pretty important project. So I vow for sysadmins working at a bank would be an easy job.

Not him, but;
Everything you listed is easy as fuck though. Tell me about something that requires some deep knowledge.

>guys shilling MS certs are idiots
>continue listing stuff you learn in first MCSA cert, and literally the easiest shit

are you for real?

what kind of salary do you guys make? i really love the idea of being a sysadmin but i don't want to get paid like shit.

60k atm, but I'm a junior straight out of undergrad.

sounds cool, what degree did you go for? also, anyone in a higher position around? i read on the bureau statistics site (burgerland) that the high end is about 93k, is that true?

Degree literally doesn't matter in administration. This guy is lying
Get into system engineering or DBA if all you care about is money (and mommy will pay for your degree)

Bachelors in IT (information systems and networks). It's a meme degree, it opened doors and I aced the interviews.
>i read on the bureau statistics site (burgerland) that the high end is about 93k, is that true?
Yeah boi, my boss (manager of IT) makes like 200k and my seniors make 85k.

>This guy (You) is lying
I-i-i don't know what to say user I'm not anyone important ;_;

looking around right now, i could get a comp engineering/compsci degree with in state tuition (parents can pay for the rest). is that recommended? will i learn more of what i need to know from an IT specific degree?

>comp engineering/compsci degree
Tbh I'm not really knowledgeable about this whole thing (I only just got hired), but it seems like a waste. There's very little overlap with CS and IT.
>will i learn more of what i need to know from an IT specific degree?
Something more towards IT would help, but most stuff is learned on site.

I've a few positions with 6 figures on the Sr. Level. I'm currently 80k, with about 10 years of experience. Hopped around for most of it and been at this company for 3 years. Looking to get into managing position, that's where the big bucks are at.

I accidentally a word.
>I've seen a few positions

>Microsoft

GTFO

not the person that asked, but wouldnt a degree in I.T. at least look better on a resume, than say, a degree in psychology? And wouldnt ANY degree be better than no degree?

Actual experience in the field is worth a thousand degrees.

Of course it would, but anybody with a little-bit of knowledge doesn't fall for the common failed CS grad attempts to sneak into a sysadmin profession with no prior experience" trick.

>And wouldnt ANY degree be better than no degree?
Yes.

>N-Nobody uses Microsoft professionally on the back-end
>Sharepoint alone is bigger than Redhat and SUSE combined
>Delet
Happens every time.

The main problem are old sysadmins. Pushing their windows bullshit because they can't be arsed to get into enterprise linux.

Actually the main problem are really inexperienced and new sysadmins who convince middle management they'll save tons money if they switch to Zentyal and LibreOffice, only for it to go tits up when people start rioting because everything fucking broke and there's nobody they can scream at to fix it for $300/hr.

Inexperienced people are always a problem, but people that believe they re experienced enough and don't need to adapt are equally as bad. IT is a volatile thing.

Yup. I've seen so many middle managers get BTFO by change and I've seen many fresh faced kids get taught harsh lessons as well. I used to be that fresh faced kid and now my greatest fear is that I might end up being that middle manager.

That's why i spend hours every day reading and i'm always fucking around on my home lab.

Having a skunkworks helps too.

Can I post in this ITT if I'm not a system administrator?

Yeah.

No.

>in this In This Thread

(:

:(

Yeah, that's what I asked.

how do people implement test lab on work environment?