Are here any advantages on using window managers like i3 over desktop environments? Or are they just a meme...

Are here any advantages on using window managers like i3 over desktop environments? Or are they just a meme? Why/why not?

There's a general for this

Do you think desktop environments come without a window manager?

I think he meant solely WM :^)

I guess you mean keyboard driven tiling managers. They are useful on laptops if you don't have an access to a mouse. Otherwise - just another trendy thing for ricers.

>generals don't kill discussion guys!

less bloat
fucking this. Generals are one of the worst things to happen to Sup Forums.

This, a TWM made an old laptop that only had a trackpad far less painful to use.

Its comfy
less mouse movements, don't need to drag windows around
Plus it looks good

>They are useful on laptops if you don't have an access to a mouse
far easier to use on my desktop than reaching for my mouse every time i need to switch focus

Are you retarded? Alt+tab to switch focus in literally each and every wm on all platforms.

you want 20 threads about desktop threads all around /wg/ and Sup Forums?

this, generals are AIDS

Morons

Alt-tab is imprecise though, with a tiling wm you can change focus to more programs with in the same amount of time

The fuck you talking you know if you hold alt during alt tab you can see a list of available shits and there are also hotkeys to tile shits and whjwmdnddnkd fuck u

Did you have a stroke?

>wm meme
don't

Still dont know what the fuck this even is.
Does this thing just automatically snap windows to a location like its an app on the android homescreen?

I like it for coding. The less time I have to spend resizing and moving windows, the better.

Quick load a terminal to run a command, close it, or move it to another workspace. Or open a new workspace for a new idea or test or something.

It flows very well with how I work.

If you spend 8 hours a day in emacs or vim + tmux, the transition to a tiling WM is more natural than you might think.

Any kind of keyboard-driven workflow is good on a tiling WM. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

It's a grid like multiple windows in vim or emacs. You use the keyboard to warp things around mostly.

Tiling WM and desktop environment junk aren't mutually exclusive. You could run a full fat desktop session in Awesome with all the plumbing hooked up if you wanted.

BEWARE: Because these screens have set windows and borders, you might end up with screen burn-in. I used i3-gaps for 8 months and started noticing squares and lines when I was watching anime.

Took me few days to remedy the problem and eventually sold the screen because I couldn't stand the lines.

Anyway, nowadays I don't use i3 anymore.

>multiple windows in vim
That sounds really inconvenient. How is this even remotely a better solution than just resizing your windows into boxes where you want them

It's not i3's fault you're too retarded to use a screensaver, user.

Less bloat and more autism. You're better off with XFCE or MATE, both are pretty slim yet functional

Bait/10

There's a running assumption that you want to use 100% of the screen at all times for any combination of windows. Which is true in a lot of programming workloads, and a pain in the ass to do with a mouse.

Also the keyboard shortcuts are usually more pithy than in a text editor.

I use the screen for 8+ hrs a day, moron. screensaver won't help if I have to do the work. and yes, it's i3's problem because window borders always fall on the same pixels.

Xfce > Unity > Gnome > kek memes > shit > pajeet code > KDE > Mate

Kek.
That has nothing to do with i3.

No, they're great for multi monitor desktops too. I can, for example, autostart my chat clients, my web browsers with all my bookmarked pages, my music player, my text editors, steam, and my terminals running various programs directly on boot onto their proper workspaces. In addition, I can open each program with keyboard shortcuts.

I run three monitors, but I can have everything organized on my desktop without touching my mouse. It's amazing how much time I save not having to click to open shit, then drag it around all over the place.

I personally think it makes more sense on a multi monitor setup.

>That has nothing to do with i3.
it does. all the windows are of fixed size and borders are always the same.
I had a nice Dell IPS panel and it got fucked.

In a row? Are you wheelchair bound or just working on an awesome set of hemorrhoids?

That's your fault for not setting your background and border colors to match your window color :)

Thanks user
I will stay away of this shit

Are you slow mate I just pulled 16 hours in front of my work computer how the fuck can you not think someone could have the same windows open for 8 hours plus every day

Watch the video linked in the tiling general

Why would you

1. Buy a monitor susceptible to burn in in the last decade
2. Use it to watch anime in a window instead of full screen.
3. Use gaps while watching anime in a window.
4. Use gaps ever.

Are you literally retarded?

Yes. Tiling wms are the best thing to ever happen to desktops.

Some of the highlights: less wasted space, no need to grab a mouse, easy navigation between windows and much more.

Of course it has a steeper learning curve and I can not recommend it to the mentally ill like .

Generals don't do anything.
If you artificially keep one alive even though there is barely any new stuff then no shit the quality of discussion is gonna go down.
There is nothing wrong with generals until there is actually stuff to talk about.

it's a good meme

>advantages
after you get used to having specific applications in specific workspaces you'll navigate faster and feel more organized, always having your browser on workspace 1 and pressing alt+1 feels so much better than having to alt+tab through a bunch of windows that shuffle around all the time.

simple stuff you can do with a mouse like double clicking to maximize a window or just drag the edge to resize is all taken away from you however and you'll have to get used to having a modkey + bindings for all that, it takes some time before you get comfortable with it.

if you prefer using your keyboard more than your mouse you will love tilingwms right from the start.