60Hz or 144Hz

I finally took the PC pill and I have the parts to my first one on the way. The only thing I have left is buy a monitor. Here are specs

>Ryzen 1200
>MSI B350 AM4 AMG
>GTX 1050 Ti
>8gb ram

Now, I don't have anything very impressive. Should I buy a 60Hz or 144Hz monitor? Staples currently has a 24" 144Hz monitor on sale for $230 which doesn't seem terrible. If it would be a waste of money though, I would just get a 60Hz.

>inb4 not your personal tech support

I've asked on other sites and they have not been much help. They were mostly bashing my shit build

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VIXcJv5sXrU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It sounds like you should get the 60Hz. A 144Hz would be better for working up toward in the future but this doesn't look like an incremental upgrade build. You spent a lot of money on entry-level components.

>Ryzen 1200
With that shit you can only stay on 60hz anyway

75hz with g-sync

fake image

144Hz is a meme and you don't have the hardware to drive it anyway. Buy a 60Hz monitor and get 16GB RAM. 8GB is not enough.

>For the low, low price of $750!

144hz internet browsing and on lighter games would be great, but you can't possibly expect that build to push many games past 60hz.

>144hz internet browsing
>will just stare at static pages on Sup Forums
Let's be real here.

Why exactly is 8gb not enough? I haven't seen many games go past 8gb

i have a 144hz monitor and im not really impressed overall. i really notice 144hz when scrolling through websites but is the premium worth that? i dont really notice the effect in games. here and there sure but unless you are mlg certified its a bit of a meme.

Fuck you, Sup Forums is better at 144hz

see i support this

i have an acer xf27hu 144hz freesync monitor

using an rx570 combined with an ryzen 1600

freesync makes the experience far better than expected.

i tried playing while it was turned off and i was amazed how big of a difference it makes. cant play without it now.

in GTA 5 for instance my rig couldn't go over 80 fps, which i really dont mind. freesync, and in your case gsync, will make up for it.

Then you clearly don't play many games, or just don't use an overlay to check. I break 8GB all the time playing games and I always close everything else before starting. If you want to do stuff in the background as well, it'd be even worse.

The only real reason you'd want to get a higher refresh rate monitor is to avoid the use of vsync and still get good results.

If you play fps games competitevly then you have an advantage with that kind of monitor

who the fuck looks at this image and unironically think that's how Hertz works?
like, you could put 30Hz next to 60Hz and it would "look" just like that.

People who don't actually know what frequency and frame rate are, but who still need to be sold a product through static imagery. They could have used a picture of film reel to illustrate it more accurately but that would be less compelling.

Assuming you're talking about Overwatch or CS:GO, you'd have an advantage with a high refresh rate because they shit out FPS out their ass, and you're not dealing with the screen tear, or shitty vsync kicked in.

Save yourself some money and just get a 1080p 60hz monitor. You current build would not take full advantage of a 144hz, not even a 120hz would work. You have a lower end setup, which isn't a bad thing, you're just starting out.

go away favela nigger

you must not be planning on playing many new video games if you got a 1050 Ti, so get the 144hz monitor. you can easily play games from about a decade ago and older at 144hz even with that card and $230 is a good price, only like $50 more than a 60hz monitor. don't listen to the brainlets claiming there is hardly any difference between 144fps and 60fps, it's just as big as the difference between 60fps and 30fps. I just finished playing Mass Effect on max settings and a solid 144fps with my OC'd GTX 1060 and it looked amazing, far better than at 60fps.

>But you don't need a 4600ti to play 1942, the eye can only see 30fps

fps>high visual settings
over 100hz > under 100hz
killing yourself is better than not playing fast paced first person shooters with a mouse and keyboard

Only because you are poor that doesn't mean 144hz is meme.
Just play anything for an hour over 120hz and try to go back to 60hz it make the eyes bleed.
Unfortunately to drive higher fps you need both display, CPU and gpu, more even on CPU side if you are at lower resolution.
For a current 144hz build I would say it's mandatory a 7700k oc

Don't build that shit

With those specs 60hz unless you plan to upgrade

If you think you'll upgrade later on, get a 144hz. You can easily upgrade your pc hardware, but a monitor is for the long term investment.

You seem sort of poor and once you get 144 Hz you can never go back.
Your rig would be too bad to truly push 144 fps anyway.

For me, you should stick to 60 where you belong

>everyone who sees my specs instantly shits on them

Well sheeeit. I went in blind and thought would be fine for 60fps on most games. Also thanks for the help. I will get a 60Hz

Get 144. Your monitor will last you a long time. This pc will last you 5 years max until it's shit

human eye can only see 30 hz anyway

Buy a 120Hz instead. Should be considerably cheaper than 144Hz and it's easier to drive 120 FPS than 144. Doubt there's a noticeable difference between 120Hz and 144Hz since fluidity gets pretty good around 100.

I would never use 60Hz again. Don't even bother. Even if you can only render 75 or 80 FPS it's way better than 60. You should be able to hang on to a good monitor for a long time maybe a decade if you wanted. Avoid 60Hz it sucks for games.

NOO don t buy MSI boards they are crap , they use shit compontents
UMA DELICIA
fake , 25 is the max

It's shit now.

With your components I doubt you would benefit from a 144Hz monitor but if you plan on upgrading later on I guess you could get one as an investment.

Here's my situation
>Rocking a 7970 + i7-2600
>Not sure whether to get a 144Hz monitor or to get a better graphics card first
Decisions, decisions

always go for the bigger number

No it's not you fucking prude. It's low end sure but not "shit". Kids are so spoiled these days.

people legitimately replying to a troll thread

I can actually help. A good Freesync 144hz display costs about ~200USD. You will save about ~80USD by buying a 60hz monitor.

You most likely won't always reach 144fps consistenly in game, but you will definitly get 100 fps consistently with an overclocked Ryzen 3.

BUT, you have a 1050ti, so youre fucked. Get a 60hz monitor unless you will cpu/gpu upgrade within the next four years.

dude this is assuming he only plays modern AAA titles and shit. playing most any old games can take advantage of high framerates. CSS, HL2, Quake, Portal etc. the list goes on and on. Replay value goes up for any game when you have triple digit refresh rate.

OP here. I wanted to get a better gpu but the prices are ridiculous here in Canada. Maybe in the future. As for overclocking, I realize now I should have maybe bought the 1300x because I have no idea how to overclock. This is my first actual pc. I know you can overclock the 1200 to 1300x level but I'm scared of breaking something.

>8gb of ram
really nigger? get 16gb.
>caring about 144hz but buying a 1050 ti
if you're getting that low end of a graphics card then just buy a nice monitor. i would rather grab a 60hz ips screen over a 144hz any screen with something like the rx 470/570 or 1050 ti.

I'm forced to use 60hz monitors at work and I hate them. I lived my whole live with +75hz so everything below that feels like shit. Go for a 75hz at least. Protip: AOC G2460VQ6

You can overclock easy in BIOS and with Ryzen you can use stock heatsink fan. It's very easy.

>get 16gb

for literally what?

You call out the 1200 but not the 1050Ti? Are you literally a pleb?

>Makes my racecar in my racing games slower

Why would I want 144hz again?

1200 wont even bottleneck 1080, what the fuck are you talking about?

Are there any 4k 144hz displays around 40in? I'm currently using a 42" 1080p led for my work and I got the cash to upgrade.

>canada
move down south or deal with it
he could also just grab a cheap 75hz freesync. nice thing about *sync is that high frames is less important since your frames will always be in sink and 75 fps is more than enough for buttery smooth gameplay unless you have nasty drops. i'm driving an asus mg279 (1440p 144hz max (30-90 freesync) with a rx 580 and couldn't be happier. i leave it on 90 hz and its smoother than 144hz without sync.

>Should I buy a 60Hz or 144Hz monitor?

It really depends on your budget and preference.

I have a 3 x AHVA 60Hz monitor setup. The main reason I use AHVA panels is that it's got excellent color accuracy and good viewing angles like "IPS" (some therefore call AHVA IPS, it's not really) with darker blacks.

A 144Hz monitor will very probably be a TN panel with washed-out colors. If you're a "pro gamer2 and you're only going to play games on it then that's fine. If you will be watching movies, viewing pictures or basically anything other than gaming then a TN panel really isn't much to look at. I'll take a 60Hz panel with great colors over a 144Hz panel that looks like garbage any day.

Also, given your computer specifications I'd say a 60Hz AHVA panel is the obvious choice. A shitty 144Hz TN panel will cost more than the parts of your entire computer.

op I have a 1050 too

Dont know if you're playing 1440p or 1080p, but dont expect 144 fps with this card unless you put your settings on low and run a lower framerate.

It's actually the GPU that feeds the monitor, not the CPU.

I personally have 32 GB in my desktop and 16 GB in my laptop, I get why someone would say 16 GB is fine for a desktop but 8 is just a joke.

It's not just about "the game I want to play doesn't use up all the RAM". If you have a few web browser windows and some other programs open and you want to play some game then it's inconvenient to have to close every single one and hope you have enough RAM to barely run a game. There is also the cache factor: If you have 32 GB RAM and 2 GB is used by active programs then the rest is used as a disk cache. Computers are more responsive when there's "free" RAM available. I put "free" in quotes because it's not really, it's in use (filled) but it's available if a program needs it.

I did look up the MSI B350 AM4 and it has four RAM slots.

If you bought 1 8 GB stick then you're fine. If you bought 2 4 GB sticks then you should consider if you want to send them back right away or just buy 2 more and get 16 total. This limits any option of upgrading to 32 GB later but may be fine. If you bought 2 GB RAM sticks, which I'm not even sure they make in DDR4, then you absolutely have to send them back before installing them.

>Get a half decent cooler, or something like a Deepcool Gammaxx 300 if money is tight
>Overclock the 1200 to 3.7-4.0GHz, depending on your voltage sweet spot and temperatures
>Check RAM compatibility and get a 3000MHz+ kit
>Drop the 1050Ti
>Get a second hand 970 for the same price and 50% better performance

You don't >n e e d< 16GB of memory, but you'll definitely be pushing your limits at 8GB and probably run into some slowdowns here and there. I know that I did with fairly basic usage in Windows. People who say that 8GB is fine probably don't realise that the "16GiB is a meme" meme is like 6 years out of date.

and what feeds the GPU?

The PSU

>using an unoptimized piece of shit game as an example

P O O
O
O

Is the stock cooler not good enough to clock the 1200 to 3.7Hz?

I used 4GB up until a month ago. Only reason I upgraded to 8GB is because I got tired of closing chrome when I wanted to play games. 16GB is a meme for lazy ppl.

>implying virtually all games are not unoptimized pieces of shit
in 2017 grandpa. games use a lot of ram these days and people play a wide variety of games. including pile of shit games like battlegrounds, space engineers, and even WoW. yes, fucking WoW will push you past the 8gb mark if you have it and a web browser opened.
4-5gb of ram from your game, another 1.3 - 2gb from winshit 10/8/7, and another 500mb-2gb from your web browser. ignoring steam running in the background along with discord. another 300-400mb usage there from those two combined.

OP already ordered the parts so it's a bit late to change the GPU - of course it's probably possible to send it back.

Overclocking isn't a good idea, OP will probably break his system and won't be able to buy a new one.

I would definitively get another stick of RAM. 8 GB isn't close to enough, just having some Firefox and Chrome windows open eats 10 GB just fine. I easily use 20+ GB when I have graphics and video editing software open.

The good news is that OP can just order another RAM stick (or another pair if he bought two 4GB's) if/when she can afford to do so.

Stop projecting and stop being a NEET. People who are not lazy and have jobs usually to do and work to do on their computer have and need 32 GB. It's 2017, not 2007. 16 GB is low-end poorfag tier.

Exactly. "OMG 16 GB is too much" is so last century.

hope you enjoy all the wasted writes on swapping to disk with 8gb of ram.
>hurr it says i'm only using 6gb of ram!
yeah because with 8gb windows is able to swap your shit web browser to disk to keep free space to prevent a system crash and keep your game in memory.

>Overclocking Ryzen
>bad

>lazy ppl

Look around you. I'm not going to close my 200 hard collected tabs of feminine dicks just to play Runescape

>le current year meme

fuck off john oliver.

Depends how autistic you are about temperatures and how lucky you are with the silicon

youtu.be/VIXcJv5sXrU

>Overclocking Ryzen

I take a stable system over a slightly faster system any day. I need to be able to get things done and get things done. A program crashing at the wrong moment can cost (a lot) of money. Having to reboot and play with overclocking settings would cost a lot more. No thanks.

It's VERY hard to break anything by overclocking these days. I've personally not heard of that happening in a good 10 years, short of LN2 etc

Just get the 144hz monitor, even if you don't have the hardware to utilize it in games you can cap it at whatever fps you get and general use looks buttery smooth.

Also if you ever upgrade you can play games with at higher cap or just 144 fps

get at least a GTX 1060

scale ppi 4K FHD 1440p
-----------------------------------
1x 96 45.8" 22.9" 30.5"
1.25x 120 36.7" 18" 24.4"
1.5x 144 30.5" 15.2" 20.3"
1.75x 168 26.2" 13.1" 17.4"
1.875x 180 24.4" 12.2" 16.3"
2x 192 22.9" 11.4" 15.2"

also avoid pwm

Rule of thumb: If you try to spend more on a monitor than your gpu, you're retarded

>gets $150 card
>gets $230 monitor
Senpai just get a 60hz

>For a current 144hz build I would say it's mandatory a 7700k oc
Not really.

I game on 1080p 60Hz and while 8gb is technically enough (ram usage never goes above this), it will still throttle you.
The reason, simplified for you, is that if your computer is using 6gb and sees that it only has 25% memory free, it'll try to cut back on memory usage causing worse performance.
If you had 16 GB though, you wouldn't even be at 50% usage and your computer would keep running fine.