FreeBSD best OS

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html
gentoo.org/news/2017/08/19/hardened-sources-removal.html
lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2015-August/228324.html
grymoire.com/Unix/CshTop10.txt
faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FreeBSD has the best logo. Too bad the OS doesn't live up to it.

It's not the best OS but it's good for what it's aimed at.That is networking.I have my seedbox/NFS share box running it and have a way better experience/speed than on Linux/Windows.

shitty driver and no support.
Call me when nvidia release deep learning sdk for bsd.

I fell for the BSD meme.
Worthless shit.

The future and past of unix.

jesus fuck how autistic are you idiots do you guys think anyone actually fucking uses FreeBSD as anything other than a meme

how do THREE of you fall for a fucking FreeBSD bait meme

I'm not very smrt.

Agreed. The handbook is simply wonderful for learning anything you could ever need to know about the system, how to manage it, and how to utilize it.

Meh, not sure about the best OS but it's decent, does the trick.

Installed it just the other day for shits and giggles and have enjoyed spending time getting things setup, it's no different than Linux and vice versa, seemless transition from one to another. I do like the idea of pkg and ports. Shit, I don't even mind csh.

My two cents.

plan9 has some great ideas but it was made unusable to end users because rob pike is an autist that can't take criticism
acme and rio are some of the most unusable graphical programs i have ever seen

Just out of curiosity, which OS do you run?

In my opinion is the best window manager to exist. Perfection since 1982.
Acme is really not for everyone, but there are alternative editors.

FreeBSD.

yeah, freeBSD is great minus the fact there are NO FUCKING WIFI DRIVERS AT ALL

temple os > satan os

welcome to the world of gnu

satan is my saviour

This piece of shit has no packages for ppc or ppc64, I'm not building firefox on a dual core G5.

>using ppc in 2017

>dude satan is so cool le 666 XDDD
yeah fuck the logo

OpenBSD is better because it's made by the devs for the devs. FreeBSD is made to be appealing to big companies and so the code quality suffers.

Plan9 is fucking garbage. Mouse gestures make the window manager a steaming pile of shit. Why does it support networking when you can't even view Wikipedia pages with this shit? It's about as useful as FreeDOS except nobody even knows about it.

Why not? I still use a PowerBook G4 with Debian.

>FreeBSD is made to be appealing to big companies and so the code quality suffers.
you're just pulling shit out of your ass

dumb frogposter

That's weird, I was able to get my Realtek wireless card up and running with a couple of edits to the rc and loader configuration files and an entry to the wpa_supplicant.

OpenBSD devs don't care whether or not the end users are satisfied with it because they know what they're doing and they don't need your input unless you're there to contribute code that's up to their standards. FreeBSD is the opposite. Their graphical installer is also inferior to the OpenBSD text installer. I can get OpenBSD up and running nearly twice as fast as FreeBSD.

If it works in Windows it should work in BSD.
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/config-network-setup.html

You could set up a cross compiling pkg repo on another machine and use that or you could set up distcc(or an alternative) so that your compilation is distributed or set it to act in a remote only way so you issue compile commands locally but they're compiled on another machine/machines. There might be third party repos already. If you are setting up a package repo you could (and should) still set up stuff like ccache, distcc, and set your port build prefix to a ramdisk (I use tmpfs), I find with Firefox specifically it was the i/o that was killing my build times, building on ram alone helped significantly, adding in ccache, etc. only made it better.

There's a lot of guides for all of these online.

Every device I've used has worked out of the box except 1 intel card which I just had to accept some license to enable, literally just setting some variable from 0 to 1 in loader.conf and it told me all about it in dmesg.

>satan
I think Beastie is just a generic daemon. I still do remember some religious group complaining enough for them to change the logo and default boot loader ascii art, unfortunate.

>OpenBSD
>claims to be secure
>no mandatory access control
>no jails
>no namespaces/sandboxes
they don't care about local exploits as much as they care about remote ones
OpenBSD itself might be secure, but what about other software that runs on it?
do they guarantee that everything I install from the ports is as secure as the base system or should I not use software outside the base system at all?
I guess I'll just stick to GNU/Linux, since it's actually secure

Same with Realtek, had to accept a license with an entry to the loader.conf, caught this both in dmesg as well the man page for the driver.

Is it terrible being dependent on anonymous attention or are you content with it? I'm always curious what drives people to act this way, my mind instantly makes the assumption that you'd have to be really repulsive to not have any other source of it. No offense intended, just curious.

wow nice argument faggot
too bad it has nothing to do with what I said
or did you reply to a wrong post?

>nice argument
It's an inquire not an argument. A question.
>too bad it has nothing to do with what I said
I don't think I implied otherwise.
>or did you reply to a wrong post?
Nope, I think you're being stupid on purpose for the sole purpose of garnering attention and I wanted to ask you about it, if you're not doing that then tell me so or answer the question. Or ignore it if it makes you uncomfortable, I don't care, I'm just asking, you're not obligated to answer obviously. I'm just curious and you'll get your attention either way.

why don't you address what I actually said in my original post and explain why it's stupid instead of bullshitting

Dumb frogposter.

There are no mouse gestures in plan 9 besides moving it and click and hold for menus.
In fact, you can view and edit Wikipedia on it - the proper way- with wikifs.

But basically you miss the point, lincuck.

>why don't you address what I actually said
Because I have no stake the argument you're having, I'm interested in why you're acting this way. I feel like you're making the assumption that everyone who replies to you is the same person, that's typical for people not familiar with imageboards.

>tells me I'm being stupid for making certain claims
>therefore implies my opinion is wrong
>hence an argument
>can't even explain why he thinks my opinion is wrong
>has "no stake in the argument"
how convenient
>I'm interested in why you're acting this way
what way
>you're making the assumption that everyone who replies to you is the same person
how did you get that impression

The last few posts of yours have only reinforced my belief, I feel like you're trying to goad me into wasting our time instead of being sincere, you're continuing to dodge the question and failed to even give a stance, you're being difficult and vague on purpose to drag this out. I just wish I knew why.

If you were being genuine you could have easily just done one of these
>if you're not doing that then tell me so or answer the question. Or ignore it if it makes you uncomfortable
instead you're just trying to rope me into the argument you were previously having of which I have no stake in. Just because I assert that you are wrong does not make it the primary focus, I'm assuming you're being wrong on purpose but the whole question is above that, I want to know if that's what you're doing and if so why, it's not important to me to prove to the public why you're wrong nor to convince you that I'm right, it's to find out what your intent is. I would say "I don't know why you're having trouble understanding something so basic" but we both know why. I don't think there's any point in continuing this if you're not going to give me a straight answer, so I withdraw. Maybe someone else will humor you. For what it's worth I was just trying to understand you, if you were being genuine try not being so defensive to a simple question, I even made it clear I wasen't trying to upset you.

>no mac
Bloat
>no jails
Uber dangerous bloat
>no namespaces/sandboxes
Bloat.
Enjoy your shitty joke of a minix clone.

>you're continuing to dodge the question and failed to even give a stance, you're being difficult and vague on purpose to drag this out. I just wish I knew why.
I could say the same about you
>I'm assuming you're being wrong on purpose
why
>it's not important to me to prove to the public why you're wrong nor to convince you that I'm right
why did you even reply to me and imply that I am wrong in the first place if that's the case
>why you're having trouble understanding something so basic
if it's so basic, why is it so hard for you to share your knowledge
>I don't think there's any point in continuing this if you're not going to give me a straight answer
if you haven't figured out that I'm being genuine based on our interaction, you're literally autistic
>I withdraw. Maybe someone else will humor you.
oh how convenient
>if you were being genuine try not being so defensive to a simple question
you're acting like a complete fucking faggot

now are you going to tell me why I'm wrong?

>FreeBSD best OS

Kek, not even the FreeBSD developers use it, they develop it on OSX using a VM.

It basically only exists so that companies can build proprietary products based upon it, actual end users of FreeBSD ? Count them on one hand.

>OpenBSD itself might be secure, but what about other software that runs on it?
>do they guarantee that everything I install from the ports is as secure as the base system or should I not use software outside the base system at all?
it's called M I T I G A T I O N S

base is better but if you have to run firefox, might as well run it on openbsd, where every single program gets stack canaries, malloc protection, aslr, W^X, PIE, SROP mitigation, trapsleds, randomized libc and kernel.

or you can continue shitposting from your linux box. have fun with your grsec that nobody except hardened gentoo enables by default. oh wait, even they don't do that anymore. gentoo.org/news/2017/08/19/hardened-sources-removal.html

what if some javascript malware encrypts my home folder because of some zero day firefox vuln
is there a way to prevent firefox from accessing things it needs not access
what if I want to block network access for certain programs

sure, regular unix filesystem permissions

lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2015-August/228324.html

to block network access, i'd do the same thing: run a program a separate user and filter that user with pf

openbsd runs all its daemons as separate users, including daemons from packages

Wtf are you talking about?

interesting, a bit inconvenient, but thanks

>say I'm withdrawing
>reply anyway
lel, I aint readin that shit.

how convenient

Added the following to /boot/loader.conf:

if_rtwn_load="YES"
legal.realtek.license_ack=1

Added the following to /etc/rc.conf:

wlans_rtwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA SYNCDHCP"

And the following to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

network={
ssid="SSID NAME"
psk="PASSWORD"
}

Wireless working as expected.

always you faggots with "muh jails"

jails share the kernel with the host OS, they're insecure

a lot of the more paranoid openbsd users run firefox as its own user

chroots also share the kernel with the host OS, yet they're a recommended compartmentalization method by the OpenBSD project

but what do I do if a program I don't expect to misbehave misbehaves and deletes all files in my home dir or something

you can run browser as another user and not giving world-write permissions on everything
chromium and firefox have pledge bindings (chromium from port patches, ff from upstream)

Hey, Acme is actually an amazing peace of software. It's unbloated, fast and has a very well thought out user interface once you acceppt it being differrent.

I knew bsd guys were fags, but this type of extreme faggotry transcends all limits of my imagination.
Fuck you and your useless cucked "O"S.

OpenBSD "security" is only in contrast to how other systems suck at this, especially Linux ignoring decade of security mitigation. Properly made software is not affected, but sometimes my Chromium still gets killed for use-after-free. If OS with such marketshare as Linux would implement proper mitigation, there would be massive shitstorm because so many things would get broken on userspace where devs don't cooperate.
Cleaner system, networking tools and interfaces one can get to understand even after a long tiring day is why OpenBSD is so comfy.

They even lose out on the logo front,. because OpenBSD's is better

>best non-linux/windows/macOS OS
why don't you create a best non-amd/intel cpu thread while you're at it, fuck off

I'm sorry.
It won't happen again.

It's not. The red daemon head looks sexy as fuck. OpenBSD's is an ugly 90s puffer fish. Also, when a puffer fish puffs up like that it dies...

Regular automated offsite backups?

what's the point in using the self proclaimed "most secure operating system in the multiverse" then?

only when combined with privsep. FreeBSD believes jails are perfectly safe and encourages running apps as root within them. OpenBSD knows better, and does privilege separation and dropping in all their daemons so that chroots make sense.

OpenBSD raises the bar by making it almost impossible for bad guys to exploit your programs. It does so largely through mitigations baked into the kernel and libc, combined with separating processes and files out so that classic Unix filesystem permissions can do their thing. But nothing in the multiverse can prevent you from fat-fingering a rm command. That's why backups are necessary.

HP-UX best OS

Linux implements a good number of Plan9 features, so at least some of the legacy survives to this day.

>fat-fingering a rm command
that's not what I meant
look, firejail has default profiles for a LOT of common software
things that some would say it's pointless to put in a sandbox
things like mpv, mupdf, openbox, vlc, feh, evince, xonotic, gedit, gimp, inkscape, atom, wireshark, xchat, transmission, tar, unzip, etc
do you know why?
do those programs need access to absolutely everything?
the answer is no
so why allow them access?
why allow vlc network access?
why allow xonotic access to your whole home directory?
security is all about providing minimum access
on the off chance that some of those programs misbehaves, they won't be able to do a lot of damage

how does OpenBSD prevent xonotic from deleting my files?
how does it prevent vlc from sending data to a botnet master
dumb examples, but I hope you get the point

So i am an avid ubuntu user and after reading all these threads i tried freebsd

That shit wouldn't even boot lol and i had no mouse???
Get a life instead of shilling your nonworking os

Is 9front a worthwhile fork?

Yes.

get a life instead of fishing for (You)'s

I use Windows you mongoloid. Why even make an assumption like that.

Umm sweetie...

Why would you confess that you use Windows?

I like the logo and the fact NetBSD ships ksh93 in the base install.

>Why would you confess that you use Windows?
No fear. Besides this is a BSD thread, BSD users are not insane like GNU zealots, they won't give a shit at all. GNU "people" would rather infight with BSD users anyway for whatever reason.

I don't think anybody likes GNU advocates, not Windows users, not BSD users, not even other GNU users. Terrible people.

Sure, as long as we differentiate between Linux and GNU.

>ships ksh93 in the base install.
They do?

Why did they write it in a home grown dialect of C using a home grown compiler? That just insured software sharing between other operating systems was nearly impossible.

Turns out I confused it with something and they actually ship pdksh.
Still a better shell than csh.

FreeBSD has a version of pdksh they ship too. It's just they default everything to tcsh

Do they have a reason to still use that evil besides muh legacy?
There are so many better shells like ksh, bash, and zsh.

It needed to be improved, so they improved it.

I think only root defaults to tcsh, everyone else is standard sh which I think is a derivative of Almquist sh.

What's wrong with tcsh? I use it on purpose because I like how it handles command history traversal. I know I can make zsh work the same way but I never saw a need for zsh. People talk up ksh a lot but never say why, I'm interested in learning about it.

>wincuck false flagger
of course

>What's wrong with tcsh?
Retarded scripting mess which sometimes leaks into interactive use because you sometimes want to solve things with a one liner.
Refer to this grymoire.com/Unix/CshTop10.txt
and this faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/
I'd say it's OK for interactive use, but I've never seen a point in it since there are other shells.

As for ksh, it has many enhancements for interactive use and scripting. Things like associative arrays, better arithmetic, structured variables, discipline functions, name spaces, etc. A lot of bash features come from ksh.

>bloat
bloat is something useless that only exists for the sake of itself
how are those things "bloat"?
we all know why those things haven't been implemented yet
it's because OpenBSD devs are few, lazy and unpaid
also, nobody actually uses their OS besides them, so they have little incentive to be productive
>Enjoy your shitty joke of a minix clone.
enjoy your shitty joke of a secure operating system

>No fear.
>on an anonymoos taliban plank
congrats faggot
I hope you're proud

>false flag
How?

What's there to be proud about? Why would anyone be afraid of telling the truth while anonymous? You're not a sissy are you?

>How?
obnoxiously shitposting and fishing for (You)'s under the guise of a bsdfag

>under the guise of a bsdfag
In case you're being serious, I mentioned several times I had no stake in the OpenBSD argument and never claimed to be an OpenBSD user. If you thought otherwise that's your fault for jumping to such a hasty conclusion based on nothing.

t. I have no idea what I'm talking about

Newfag in Sup Forums here. What does everyone mean by a meme OS? Is Gentoo actually a bad distro? Are ThinkPad's actually trash?

Image irrelevant

Are MACs and jails really relevant these days when full virtualization is so cheap?

>i can get OpenBSD up and running nearly twice as fast as FreeBSD.

This. Installing OpenBSD is both the easiest and fastest way to install an OS.
Not to mention that OpenBSD Is secure out-of-the-box.

Their philosophy is one I can get behind:
Make it secure by default so that the user must change default settings to get it working - inadvertently learning about the security implications of enabling/disabling said program/script/setting.

if the lack of ksh really bothers you on freebsd, you can always install mksh

>full virtualization
rather inconvenient overkill imo

only the base system is secure, as soon as you install a 3rd party program, it ceases being secure

do you literally type "ssid name" and "password"?

no

well then how would you connect to public wifi? do you literally have to configure every network you use?

why not just you know, scan and connect like most OSes do?

you can scan with ifconfig in openbsd i believe

don't know about freebsd