Why do people keep buying these? I understand why the technologically daft media producer would buy it...

why do people keep buying these? I understand why the technologically daft media producer would buy it, but why does the average consumer keep buying these overpriced scam machines?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Ultrabook-Laptop-T440-i5-4300u-1-9Ghz-8GB-240GB-14-TOUCHSCREEN-/282597078916?epid=1222719167&hash=item41cc193784:g:MoAAAOSw2WBZgwZ8
ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-5GHz-8GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Win-10-Pro-/232454524532?epid=2189498699&hash=item361f5e8e74:g:6~4AAOSwMf1ZmBkp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They are gay and like to suck dicks because of how much of faggots they are.

They look good, and the DE looks good. Most people would agree with that here

i was looking for a more discussion based reasoning taking into account any practical features the machine may have or features the os comes with that windows lacks but that makes alot of sense

They do almost everything windows does but apples brand is glamorous

At the end of the day most normies are incredibly simple creatures. They want to browse facebook, watch Netflix and maybe read some familiar mainstream news.

To normies appearances are king, and the altar that all functionality and pricing must be sacrificed to.

Having a Mac is just that: appearances. The computer doesn't need to BE good, it needs to LOOK good. It's a fashion accessory that's suppose to help reflect your personal unique style (you know, the same style literally everyone else has).

I am completely serious when I say that they could sell these machines with cheaper hardware every iteration and at this point still have a sizable default audience that would pay a grand every time.

Why? Because it's pretty and they're locked in.

It's not overpriced, you're just underpaid.

It's so nice, user

Why is it sideways, though ?
Do you live on the equator ?

social status

Because they can.

It's so nice tho

Because I can't find a good laptop with perfect linux compatibility

Haha, what's up Sup Forums, I'm casually browsing here, which I never usually do. By your standards, I'm probably a 'normie' in terms of tech, and yes, I'm a Macfag. Actually, I'm here because my machine is slowly dying (2011) and I'm considering going the Hackintosh route.

Anyways, some actual response to OP instead of your usual Sup Forums shitposting...

>why do people keep buying these?

undeniably, the brand is well polished, sexy, fashionable, and it's a finely put together package as a whole. As you already know, most buy these for 'lifestyle' purposes, but I think there's more to it:

My opinion:

>-controlled & refined user experience.

OSX is simple and relatively easy to use if you're a dummy. Also easy to fix most issues with a quick google search if you're not totally a dummy and not afraid to type a line or 2 into Terminal (that's me, lol)

>-not having to defrag/maintain them.

Most of the Macfags I know like them because they generally run fine without user intervention. That matters to a normie who is not a tinkerer and has other things to worry about.

>branded as the artist's computer

Yes, I'm a creative type. I was sold on mac a long time ago when all my musician friends use them. They're generally stable. Plenty of apps for them with great support. Very Few weird driver errors for external hardware. Again, just generally easy to use.

TLDR: macfags like them because they are pretty, and less options means less shit to go wrong, which translates to easy to use. The overall experience matters. Macfags see the whole rather than the sum of the parts.

Hope that helps make sense, ya dirty Austists! :D

you will be judged for ugly laptop in media/law/finance etc. everywhere where you would need to dress up you also need a fancy laptop, other way you look cheap and no one will do business with you when you show up looking underfunded

Because it's linux that doesn't waste my time with trivial shit. I have work I could be completing instead of searching for a script so I can paste in the terminal.

What's the Sup Forums approved laptop?

t. Newfag

I got a used MBP for like 900 bucks (2013) to use for recording music. It works perfectly for what I need it to do with out all the messiness and unnecessary customizability of windows. I came to it from Linux (Bodhi) and I have literally never been happier with a computer in my life but my needs are modest and I place a premium on nothing standing between me and laying down tracks.

Mac faggots want something that has the color of being semen stained, just like their hearts are.

I bought one to iOS dev because pic related are really great customers. Androidfags are stingy as fuck.

i get the message that the thinkpad is Sup Forums's laptop of choice but honestly i don't see why. the ideapad series is sexier while maintaining a decent bang for the buck ratio. I have an idea pad 510 its got an i5 dualcore processor (not ideal but i only paid 400 for it maaaybe 500 tops) its got 8gb ram and a gtx 940. Not a power house of a machine, but its also my side machine. when i go to the coffee shop for some peace and quiet to work that's what im taking. fuck the android tablet, i made the mistake of making an android tablet my paper writer in highschool, im in college now and ubuntu mate and libre office are my best friend when im not using my windows 10 power house desktop pc.

Because Apple does marketing right, in every major movie you're going to see a Macbook or iPhone and want one. Windows laptops are only advertised on actual commercials like "get this super fast laptop with 8gb ram and an enormous 1TB from BestBuy today!"

Also the build quality is spectacular even if its cheap metal, and its gonna feel nice carrying it around. I hate laptops overall because Ive only had medium budget Windows ones made out of plastic.

The Dell XPS is its closest rival and if the entire body would be aluminium i might consider it, but i also want to try OSX. I dont play games

If I were to Hackintosh a laptop, what would be a good laptop to get for this purpose? What would outperform a current MBP and be under $1000?

Thanks m8

Anything 17" or larger with gentoo installed.

t. normalfag
anyone who says "NORMIES" is guaranteed to be a Facebook using ledditor normalfag that doesn't like anime.

>or larger
Step aside, laptoplets.

system76.com
thinkpenguin.com

Not in my country

What europoor country you in then?

>Do you live on the equator ?
That made zero fucking sense

>ledditor
t. normie

>system76
Fuck off. Stop supporting absolute scum companies.

What's wrong with them ?
Not that guy, I'm just curious.

>that trackpad placement

D

R

O

P

P

E

D

Because they just work and dont spy on uunlike windos 10

>why do people keep buying these? I understand why the technologically daft media producer would buy it, but why does the average consumer keep buying these overpriced scam machines?

So they they can sit in starbucks, take instacrap photos and show people that they have a Apple product.

Its all about attention. They are desperate for likes.

It feels good having nice things.

And macbook pros are the only piece of consumer technology that actually happens to be objectively superior while being super mainstream at the same time.

Which laptop should I get as a poorfag? It only needs to run linux and do movies/word processing. Big screen is better.

A used macbook.

What is your budget?

500 ausbux, could go a little bit higher. Nice keys are preferrable since I'll be doing a lot of typing on it probably.

Ok so you need a used thinkpad, T series.

>Macs are overpriced
>Suggests ThinkPenguin and System76

this has to be bait. please let it be bait.

They were made "for americans": press a button and just works... no need to have a brain to use them. from that point of view they are a marvel.

was actually curious from the perspective of mac owners really. I kind of want a chromebook to use alongside my desktop and laptop for when im in bed or something.

>thinkpad, T series
which one?

With your budget, the newest you can get.
Get a refurbished one

because of the OS

you dont buy an apple computer because of the computer.. the ONLY reason to buy apple is to run MacOS period.

>hackintosh
the average consumer has no ideia or patience for it..

>ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Ultrabook-Laptop-T440-i5-4300u-1-9Ghz-8GB-240GB-14-TOUCHSCREEN-/282597078916?epid=1222719167&hash=item41cc193784:g:MoAAAOSw2WBZgwZ8

Like this? I don't know shit about this brand, or laptop components in general

Probably the same reason you buy something that isn't the best purchase, just lack of knowledge.

Most people literally don't care. They saw an ad for Apple computers, all their friends with Macs say they're great and so they buy them. That's it.

When I bought boots a few years ago I probably could have shopped around for another brand and saved some money. I didn't care. I walked into the store and chose whatever felt right. They got the job done and only started to give my troubles a couple years later when one started to stretch out more than the other.

Now fuck off.

They don't know who the CEO of apple is.

Not Bait. Post is Serious. What's your problem, user? Please explain in something more than just a standard meme-tier emotional argument

Do you know who the CEO of Lenovo is?

Yeah it looks ok.
But you can get cleaner refurbished products like this:
ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-5GHz-8GB-RAM-320GB-HDD-Win-10-Pro-/232454524532?epid=2189498699&hash=item361f5e8e74:g:6~4AAOSwMf1ZmBkp

keep looking

>controlled and refined user experience
this is too subjective to even mention. Literally a "just werks" argument. Not valid. My experience working on a 2015MBP retina was me wanting to bash the thing because osx was such dogshit, but I enjoyed the form factor, battery, screen, and keyboard. Track pad was meh. So I guess your first point stands.

>Apps
Friendly reminder that this is Sup Forums so please at least don't use the A word

TLDR
>GBTR

>ya dirty Austists
>Austists
ffs

Oh an let's not forget the newer models are impossible to work on, modify, or fix and doing so voids your warranty and typically requires security bits that are custom to Apple. Also, memebar is just about the gayest shit I've ever seen on a laptop. Going with the apple brand is literally cucking yourself with the analogy being your computer as your wife and apple as the bull. Anything that she needs to satisfy her needs has to come from apple and not you.

It's a tablet with a keyboard, at a slight(ish) premium. The only reason tablets are hitting the shitter is because of the typing problem, since otherwise they literally fit 90% of people's needs for a computer beyond their phone.
It's the same market segment as me, really. I(and Sup Forums) just like more durability and like different creature comforts, which is a great way to hide how poor I am by buying an old thinkpad.

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing, and I'll probably buy another newer one when I need to, but Apple knows their market very well.

T4xx are 14"
T5xx are 15.6"

A T530 just popped up on eBay au for $321

For $300 you can get a T430 easily

But for less than $500 you couldn't get better than 2011 macbook

It's purely a waste of money to get a second hand MacBook over some other brand

quite simply, they're dimply

Monkey see, monkey do.

Because they're nice to use.

"But price for specs compared to this other thing", you might argue. That isn't the highest priority - or even all that important - to everyone. Nor does that make them "overpriced scam machines", necessarily.
"But trackpad instead of clitmouse/that keyboard/the screen isn't 16:10 (and similar), how is that nice to use?", you might argue. To each their own; just because you don't like any of those things, doesn't mean no-one does or that they're wrong for doing so.

Really, there's no one thing I can point to and say "this makes it worth hundreds of dollars more than that PC", and any given thing I like about them someone else is going to dislike. And really, the same applies to every other option; nothing is all things to all people.

It's a keyboard, trackpad, port layout, monitor, operating system, etc that's comfortable to me and stays that way for a good number of years. I don't mind paying a bit extra for comfort, or to put it another way, cheaper is not worth something I find a pain in the arse to use. And given how long I go between new laptops, the extra expense really isn't much, looking at the long term.

>security bits
?

The keyboard is legitimately one of the worst I've ever felt. It just feels like it clicks under your fingers. No travel, no feedback, no way to use it without hours of adaption away from my actual keyboard or thinkpad's keys.

Bits like screwdriver bits not data bits. You know those specialized bits for screws with non standard heads. Apple even invented their own specialty security bit that was even more of a bitch. It was like torx but lobed. Motherfuckers.

>But for less than $500 you couldn't get better than 2011 macbook
>It's purely a waste of money to get a second hand MacBook over some other brand

Wut, so I want the mac or I don't? I'm confused user

because everything else is running windows 10

'couldn't get better than' as in 'couldn't get something more recent in an Apple laptop', I would assume.
He's right in saying that a used Thinkpad is your best option. I got the T420 I'm currently typing on in great condition from a guy on Gumtree for a full $190 kangaroo funbucks and it's done me brilliantly so far.

What do you use yours for? I just need mine to play movies and do word processing so I'm trying to be a stingy cunt

You fucking retard

Also I know what couldn't get better than, but the next quote contradicts the first one

"you can't get better than a macbook" "macbooks are a waste of money"

They integrate very well with other Apple devices

Far less likelihood of picking up malware

The OS isn't ad infested malware itself, which some norms might notice

are you this new?

I've ended up using it more than my desktop since I got it, so everything from shitposting to actual university work. You can't go better than a Thinkpad keyboard when it comes to laptops, so it's what you want if you're doing word processing. Even the new chicklet style one, while not as good as the classic IBM-based one, is still the best laptop keyboard on the market.
user, read the entire quote. He's not saying you can't get better than a macbook. He's saying that unless you go over $500 you can't even consider a macbook more recent than 2011.

Eh, you can buy them fairly cheap.

>Actual PC guy who recently transition to Mac because of college program
>Studying Recording Arts
>Questioning most of my professors why mac is mostly used
>"At the start of transitioning from analog to digital, Macintosh supported most of this companies that were making the softwares like Avid who made Protools and all professional movie editing softwares) letting old people from the industry adapt easier to these technologies"
Now days Windows based computers can do must of the stuff, but Mac OS are most stable for longer periods of usage. Eventually, when I graduate I will try to get back to PC. Since Steve Jobs died, most apple products are starting to get faulty from the get-go (speaking by experience here since my MacBook Pro ports from just 1 month of usage fucking screwed up out of nowhere)
In my opinion, they are easy to use and are stable most of the time. Unless you are using a lot of processing power around 90%, probably you won't have any issue.

Please explain what happens if you "are using a lot of processing power around 90%"

Or get a used mbp 2012, they go fairly cheap if the superdrive is damaged or the specs are shit. Its the last model on which you can easily upgrade ram, harddisk and battery yourself (you will need a small phillips head, a t4 and y3 screwdriver for these things).

Same thing can be said about burgers from mcdonalds

I've bought MBA 11" 2011 for work and net surfing. It's light, fast and have better battery life than Windows. You phone is android thou

Because OSX is better than Windows and especially on laptops

Because it has fantastic build quality and materials. Compare the feel of it to a XPS 13, if you put pressure on the keyboard the whole thing moves.
Also you get a display thats better than most you will ever use, get a windows computer with a screen like that it will also be that expensive.

And finally the software, it just fucking works, no bullshit.

The new ones are a bit overprices, but with a good deal definitely worth to think about.

>if you put pressure on the keyboard the whole thing moves.
Better than a 2017 macbook, the keys don't even move.

Yeah its weird and you have to get used to it. But isnt this the right board for autistic people like me who need to have the whole thing not giving in and to be perfectly aligned and manufactured?

personally, for programming

Get a used MacBook if you're serious about switching over to MacOS. Word of warning, Apple isn't for poorfags. 3rd party apps cost something called money. If you pay for it, it works. It's loonix for richfags, just throw money at the thing to make it work.

I bought one
I'm a filmmaker and I'm travelling all the time, so I needed something portable
Otherwise I would've assembled a desktop, but I simply don't have where to keep it
As for editing video on a laptop, final cut pro X can't be beaten.
I bought three 15" XPS laptops shortly before this, but they were all faulty trash, so I returned them and decided to just do what's right and get the Mac

The issue with something with no give is that it dents or breaks easier. I can squeeze the rest of my thinkpad as hard as I can, and it just pops back into shape. I would've irreversibly dented a Macbook with a similar stunt.

not that overpriced compared to professional laptops like thinkpads

>normie
Fresh off the boat?

>t. normie
Stopped reading right there.

The new MBP is pretty good specced out. I've got one with 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and 4/8 which has pretty good battery life. Granted, i got it for free..

Both are god awful.

it appeals to normies because it's "nice".

because you get what you pay for.

>muh expensive shit that kewl ppl use

as seen on tv

It looks very nice and helps you do everyday stuff with its nice-looking OS.

For A LOT of people it really is enough. I don't blame them. Some people are into technology, some aren't. Some people care if for $500 they could buy a better computer, some don't. It sounds ridiculous to you but for some people it really is just about getting from A to B in their job or free time.

My daughter bought herself a Macbook recently. The wife and I told her to look around at generic Chromebooks, or other cheaper laptops that could get her by in school. I almost bought her a ThinkPad, but knowing schoolkids, someone would probably laugh at her for me browsing 4chins
Funnily enough, she was able to afford it with her job (some fast food place, I don't pay enough attention to her when she talks desu), so they're either not super expensive, or there's some school discount.
Oh well, if someone wants to spend over a grand for a laptop, and of they can last for 5 years or however long school is now, then so be it. It's their parents money. If they want to waste their parents money on unnecessary shit, that's their problem.