ITT: Weird things in American movies we ask our American friends if they're true or not

ITT: Weird things in American movies we ask our American friends if they're true or not

>Constantly asking other people "are you OK?"
>Grocery bags without handles
>Hanging up the phone without saying good bye
>Telling a room full of people "can we have a private moment?" and then everyone except the person you want the moment with leaves, rather than simply you and that person walking out of the room
>Talking to complete strangers
>Voluptuous black waitresses at "diners" who call you endearing things while she pours you brewed coffee

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d6_UZxMjh6c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yep, I too believe everything I see in movies.

>yes
>wat
>yes
>occasionally
>yes
>in poor areas

>wearing shoes at home

eeww

>>wat
Brown paper bags, without handles which they carry in their arms.
In Europe everyone either bring cotton bags or buy plastic ones. Both with handles without exception.

1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 no, a tv troupe
5 yes
6 usually college-age girls or old ladies in 50s, black waitresses are kind of a minority desu

the autist meant brown paper bags

>a million little paper grocery bags
>you don't even bag them yourself
>fresh vegetables are only found in super expensive hipster food markets
????

>the autist
That is a bit uncalled for.

Oh then yes. We have those for cold items although I almost always get plastic nowadays. The only time I bring my own is when I go to Aldi, all other stores give them out for free

no
yes
no, there is a stall by the road outside of the community, he gets it from the farm every morning, although this is an exception

But how do you know when the call is over? What of you misunderstand each other and you hear the other beginning a new question just as you hang up? That would be so awkward.

>Are Sororities real?

>Do you try spy on the sororities?

>Does everyone prank eachother in college?

>Are there massive college frat parties where everyone drinks and listens to terrible 90s pop punk and then when you try to fuck your childhood sweetheart you end up dropping all your spaghetti but then learn who your true bros are?

>Is "Summer camp" actually a real thing?

>If yes, Why? What the fuck do you actually do there?

>wearing shoes in your own house
>tipping at mc donalds or other fast food places
>clapping when a plane lands
>seriously thinking that they have the most freedom
>not speaking a second language
>getting shot/tasered by the police for no good reason

I think they send their fat kids there
Like biggest loser for kids

"talk to you later" *click* or some variation. Tbh I say bye on the phone but not everyone does.

Is it true that colleges are just meme kindergardens for 20 something olds and no one actually studies?

It's for getting you away from your parents so they can have some damn peace for a while.

Also, for city kids to learn outdoorsy stuff

Oh well that's a sort of good bye then. I meant like how they do in the movies when they call and it's like
>blah blah i just found out he's the murder, meet me at Backstreet Boystreet 69 *click*
You know?

you don't know for sure
so you just hang up

>hey see you at X
>yea i'll be there
hangs up*

>don't forget to get X
>yea what else
>that's it
>k
hangs up*

it's contextual based on personal relationship

ofc when you are talking to a marketer or IT or some professional they will always so do you have any other questions and is there anything else today

there are plenty of conversational clues, you don't have to perk your ear for "good bye" to end a phone conversation, it's crude and ineffective

>>Hanging up the phone without saying good bye
My dad does exactly this and he's a Ukrainian immigrant
No Americans I know hang up the phone without saying bye in some way

>clapping at cinema
>clapping at church
>clapping when you flush the toilet

Yes. And they all wear flip-flop to class.

>>Talking to complete strangers
I liked that when I was in US. It gives you a sense that you're not excluded even though you're there for a week or two.

I had daily conversations with everyone in the hotel elevator or restaurand and in the companies I visited, it was so causal and came without needing to breach any barriers.

>Voluptuous black waitresses at "diners" who call you endearing things while she pours you brewed coffee
I liked this as well. There is nothing like a big black woman bringing you bbq sauce beans and a burger while calling you honey and sugar each time she brings you a refill of water/coke.

I hate this. All the time. "HOW AM I DOING?! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME"

Yes. I think they cost less to make?

Some people do this, some don't. I'd never do this. It's a habit.

>Telling a room full of people "can we have a private moment?" and then everyone except the person you want the moment with leaves, rather than simply you and that person walking out of the room
Anyone who does this is an asshole, but assholes do this.

Yes. I'm from Baltimore so I'm fine with/used to this, as long as you don't ask me "How's your day been?"

All the time. Mostly they just want you to tip better, and being nice is easy. They also want you to not rob them.

true
not sure what you mean
sometimes
no
true
mostly true

>Are Sororities real?
Yes. They're also overwhelmingly blonde and white if you exclude the ethnic and academic sororities.
No
Depends on school.
>Are there massive college frat parties where everyone drinks and listens to terrible 90s pop punk and then when you try to fuck your childhood sweetheart you end up dropping all your spaghetti but then learn who your true bros are?
Not completely unrealistic
Dunno, parents too poor to send me.

Is it just because they want tips or are they genuinely really nice?
>tfw no black gf who cooks you soul food and calls you honey tits

that sounds amazing
>tfw you will never experience this

Is it true americans get shot regularly?

>not sure what you mean

In American films, people always hold grocery bags from the bottom and they don't have handles and or they are giant paper bags for god knows what reason.

>Anyone who does this is an asshole, but assholes do this.
Is it mostly in work situations, like it's a boss doing that to his employees? I don't see how it works otherwise. How can you just take up a whole room like that and cast people out?

How about one loud clap when you laugh hard? is that American?

we have them but most people just use the plastic bags

which are FREE

I mean it's kinda rude but it's not like it doesn't happen...

no it's not the norm

Australians have a bit of an inverted sense of politeness so I'd think she was taking the piss

Is the "TAXI!" while raising your hand true?
Can a tourist pull it of?

yes red solo cups are a thing and a very convenient thing

I see that in shows a lot too. Totally unrealistic.

Yes
No
Casual: Yes. Formal: No
Only drama queens do this, so no
100% yes
In ghetto areas, yes. Classic Route 66 diners have white ladies ranging from qt to trailer trash. Both will call you "hun" or "sweetie"

>a million little paper grocery bags
Yes, or plastic. But they are bigger than you think
>you don't even bag them yourself
"Bag Boys" are hired to do this for you
>fresh vegetables are only found in super expensive hipster food markets
No, only the "100% locally grown with my own tears for 3 months" vegetables are sold there. Major grocery stores sell organic vegetables alongside modified vegetables

>Are Sororities real?
Yes, full of sluts
Don't need to when everyone gossips
Only frats/sororities and freshmen
These only happen in high school because you would have grown up alongside these people. College parties are for no-strings-attached fucking.
Yes, some go for a week or two to nearly the whole summer
>If yes, Why? What the fuck do you actually do there?
Depends on the camp and age. All involve aquatic activities, ghost stories, and s'mores

Is it true that most of you are circumcized?
Are most houses really made of wood and drywall?
Do niggers really have this ghetto accent from the movies?
Do you own a gun?
Are there mandatory penis inspections for school boys?
Do all high schoolers wear cotton or baseball jackets all year even when it's snowing? Are baseball caps popular?

Why do Americans listen to dance music the rest of the fucking world moved on from a decade ago?

Seriously Electro House, Trap and Trouse? What is it? 2006?

Seriously, the rest of the world moved to Psytrance and Psybreaks like 5 years ago:
youtube.com/watch?v=d6_UZxMjh6c

Some girls actually wears high heels at the college?
Are people in schools actually divided by groups? Like, there are the bully group, the nerd group, the sportsman group, the preppy group...

No I think they're nice to some extent. You get to know them really quick but up to some level after that it's the same as in Europe some mental barriers you need to destroy to go further but the basic coversation and being friendly routine comes instantly.

It's also very easy to just talk to them normally and at some point your European heritage or culture comes up and they get impressed so easily with it that it's shocking. Anyway that breaks some walls as well due to sparking interest.

It's nice. I always tried to go to local places but I didn't experience a lot of it because all the companies always took me to expensive restaurants and I've been to those everywhere so it's nothing new.

What I was impressed with and wanted to go to every day was, for example a local bar with barbecue, burgers, salads and bbq beans. It wasn't a food chain and it was near a old interstate on the outskirts of the town. It was like from a movie and had fat waitresses with southers accent that called you honey and sugar.
10/10 desu.

In Manhattan and LA maybe, other places I'm not so sure
I haven't seen anyone do it here in AZ, although it could still work for all I know

if they're at home why do they live with a bunch of strangers?

Outside of NY Taxis usually hang out in specific areas and you just walk up to them.

Is it true that all hish schools are 2000+ students and everyone goes to the same classes including those who plan on moving on to university and those who plan on working manual labor after school? How does that work?

>Is it mostly in work situations, like it's a boss doing that to his employees?
Exactly yea. If your boss is like that, he's like that. It's a way of showing dominance.

It's either that or he'll piss on the carpet.

I think that's a movie meme. I live in California and I've never seen grocery bags without handles, even paper ones. See pic related. This is of course assuming they give you a bag at all. (There's a plastic bag ban but compliance seems random to me.)

The only situation I can think of is if you buy only a few items and they give you a brown bag with the top folded for you to carry out. This only happens at hipster stores like Whole Foods though.

>wearing shoes in your own house
Some do, some don't. Asians never do
>tipping at mc donalds or other fast food places
No
Unironically yes
>seriously thinking that they have the most freedom
Yes
>not speaking a second language
Yes, no need to.
>getting shot/tasered by the police for no good reason
No, these people have trouble following orders.

Unironically yes
>clapping at cinema
Unironically yes
>clapping at church
Unironically yes
>clapping when you flush the toilet
Only if you finally unclogged it

Is it true americans get shot regularly?
Only idiots

Is the "TAXI!" while raising your hand true?
Yes, but you have to be in a place where empty taxis are cruising for customers (New York, Los Angeles). Other places only have them at airports in which case you walk up to them. If not, you call the company on your phone and they send a dedicated taxi to you.
Can a tourist pull it of?
Yes

Where I went to HS, the school was huge. Thousands of students yes. But all the classes were highly segregated by retard/dumb/remedial/normal/talented/AP.

In the east maybe.
pretty much.
unfortunately.
no.
yes, from k to 8.
no, but baseball caps are common.

In Sweden she would literally be arrested

you just wave them down, yelling is unnecessary

at mine they did

eh depends on the school really.

I'm from Baltimore. Like, the bad part of Baltimore.

I've never even seen a gun pulled out in anger.

Are you telling me the simpsons LIED to me?
My world is coming undone.

>"Bag Boys" are hired to do this for you
do you tip them?

Yes, I think mine had close to 3 thousand
All the smart kids take honors classes (advanced classes that are worth more GPA points) and everyone else takes regular classes.
The funny thing is that you'll see that honors classes generally run like a classroom should be run, with mostly everyone respecting the teacher and sometimes the teachers and the students actually become friends (not in a pedophilic way though desu)
In regular classes though it can be like a zoo in there sometimes

How does welfare work in USA?

Someone told me that poor people have to wait in a long line everyday to get a 30 dollar food voucher. is this true?

How do you pay for rent, cars, video games, etc. on welfare?

No, they separate students based on testing.
The smarter kids go to college/advanced prep or something similar. You can even just ask to be in those classes if you have good enough grades. It depends on the state.

Not all high schools are that big, depends on the city. Mine was around 2000 and there are 9-10 high schools were I grew up.

topfuckingkekee

i'm not even surprised, swedes i've met irl are one very strange bunch, stranger than the germans.

>Psytrance and Psybreaks
but this isn't vapor wave or seapunk

>depends on where. Most old people yes. West coast and more liberal areas it's less common. Midwest and south it's very common.
>yes. Brick or stone ones aren't too uncommon though
>no but I may buy one someday. Not a big priority though
>yes. They have to make sure your washing properly. [spoiler] no it's a meme [/spoiler]
>no. That's very uncommon. Hoodies are the thing. Baseball caps are common but more of a redneck thing

>Is it true that most of you are circumcized?
Probably. It's stupid.
>Are most houses really made of wood and drywall?
I don't know about "most," but it's common yes.
>Do niggers really have this ghetto accent from the movies?
No. That's easier to understand than the real manners of speech of black people in this country. Real black people are less hostile but harder to understand. Black people are highly dialectical in America.
>Do you own a gun?
Hunting and plinking rifles, yes. Handguns no because those are just for target shooting or shooting people, and I don't think they're fun.
>Are there mandatory penis inspections for school boys?
wut
>Do all high schoolers wear cotton or baseball jackets all year even when it's snowing? Are baseball caps popular?
I haven't been in high school for 20 years so no idea.

This happens. It was a real problem for me.

>In America on a nice holiday
>Just me, I am going across the country
>First fucking day in America
>In Washington
>Staying in a hotel
>Hotel has a place to eat, meal is free with the stay
>I go down and order a Burger, because it seems like the american way
>order
>the guy behind my table eating with his family fucking spins round
>'wow, are you a damn german?'
>'hey son, look- this man is a German! just like you!'
>starts loudly telling me about how he is German
>thought this was a meme and they didn't really do this
>tells me his sons middle name is Düsseldorf (pronounces it Dusheeldurf)
>starts laughing that I am ordering a hamburger
>'didn't you germans invent a hamburger?'
>turns to his son again who is eating a small burger
>grabs the burger from his plate
>'son, say thanks, this man BUILT your DINNER'
>son awkwardly thanks me
>he puts his burger back
>says it was great meeting a fellow German
>wishes me luck with 'that crazy merkel' and tells me ''you don't want a woman in charge, if Hilary takes over America will be less like McDonalds and more like Wendy's''
>tfw felt uncomfortable and didn't correct him that I am not German

this sort of thing happened all trip long

I was in a long term relationship with a Swedish girl and the pretty much unanimous view I found among Swedish expats is that Sweden is this bizarre autistic country where people can't even look each other in the eye and that's why they'll never go back.

nobody listens to this faggot shit we grind to the weeknd

No
Yes
yes
yes
yes
We weren't allowed to wear baseball caps in school due to gangs(California). Outside of that, yeah baseball caps are very popular.

>'didn't you germans invent a hamburger?'

eh, had a swedish family stare at me like i'm an alien because i'm asian

also a swedish girl studying here tried to friend me up in class by aggressively yelling at me

bizarre people. germans are alright though, i like the ones i've met.

>if Hilary takes over America will be less like McDonalds and more like Wendy's

>Is it true that most of you are circumcized?
Yes, many girls find uncut dicks gross
>Are most houses really made of wood and drywall?
Yes
>Do niggers really have this ghetto accent from the movies?
Yes
>Do you own a gun?
Yes, several
>Are there mandatory penis inspections for school boys?
No. Physicals are required for many things though, but you go to a doctor for it. Also there is a scoliosis check in middle school
>Do all high schoolers wear cotton or baseball jackets all year even when it's snowing? Are baseball caps popular?
1. Only varsity athletes
2. Yes, very

>Some girls actually wears high heels at the college?
Yes, leggings too
>Are people in schools actually divided by groups? Like, there are the bully group, the nerd group, the sportsman group, the preppy group...
Yes. They are called "cliques"

>Is it true that all hish schools are 2000+ students and everyone goes to the same classes including those who plan on moving on to university and those who plan on working manual labor after school? How does that work?
Mine had 4,000. There are some advanced courses, but they are usually just faster-paced versions of regular classes. Everyone generally studies the same things.

How does welfare work in USA?
They give you a pre-loaded card. Can only be spent on "essentials" but there are ways around some things
Someone told me that poor people have to wait in a long line everyday to get a 30 dollar food voucher. is this true?
There are welfare offices where they get their cards but I'm not sure about how often they have to go.
How do you pay for rent, cars, video games, etc. on welfare?
Most people on welfare also work shit jobs for shit money. The welfare covers the essentials (to a degree) while their shit money covers luxuries

lel even finns have more friends than swedes
really makes you think

holy shit hahahah i refuse to believe this happened

i want to but i refuse

Is there actual showers in the lockeroom and people get naked and shower together after PE in highschool?

Do you actually have high school health checks and they inspect your dick and prostate?

Are your highschool lockers really like 5ft high? Ours were like 60cm by 30cm.

No, they also help people take their groceries to the car. I guess maybe old people might tip them.

So they wear hoodies even in winter without a proper winter jacket?

Holy Christ, what are you still doing on Sup Forums?
> 24 and still here

How hard is it to get a good-quality hooker in America? I uh, I'm asking for a friend.

Yes but it wasn't mandatory and almost nobody did it when I was in school, probably less so now

No I have no idea how this meme started but it's pretty fucking funny and from now on I'm going to start saying yes

Some are, some aren't, ours were about half the size of what you'd see in the movies. Those are actually really rare

Varies by state. Conservative states make it hard as hell to get. If you are poor you can get Medicaid for free healthcare and food stamps for food. Stuff like tanf snap and wic make a patchwork of bux mostly for broke single moms. If youre disabled you get ssi or ssdi if it's bad enough and Medicare which is different from Medicaid. Our welfare is a jumbled mess.

damn that hits a little close to home. Although I have a happy life without friends anyway.

At my high school no one showered after PE, and even if you wanted to the passing period was too short. The only guys that used the showers were the actual school teams after practice.

yeah

I never used my high school locker so I don't remember. It was small though.

I gotta admit, it's very attractive when they pamper you that way, even when it's for better tips. Hearing them call you baby and sugar and honey makes you want them to just hug you while you're sitting there and squeeze you into their big motherly cleavage.

Most Americans don't need anything more than a hoodie for their weather

I own multiple $1000+ coats though and I live in Florida cuz I like clothes

>How hard is it to get a good-quality hooker in America? I uh, I'm asking for a friend.

Depends where you are but if you have money easy, if not good luck lol

Memes aside, unironically no, you rarely even see guns

I live in the deep south and have only ever seen them at gun ranges

>sometimes
>no
>dick move
>only if there's like 2-3 people in that room and the other one is crowded
>yes
>probably not

>Is there actual showers in the lockeroom and people get naked and shower together after PE in highschool?
Are you showering with class mates of the opposite sex or is that a Nord thing? Do you not even sauna with people of the opposite sex? Do you not get naked in the sauna?
Why are americans so scared of naked bodies?

Holy fucking kek. Americans truly are that annoying uncle in your family that awkwardly starts a conversation about your person making dull jokes

Is Daria at all accurate to the American high school experience if not, what show is the closest to the US high school experience?

The Inbetweeners (UK) seemed pretty much identical to how highschool was here in Australia.

Oh also in the US, do you actually have big sports teams for your schools and everyone comes out and "Supports the school"? Australia is a very sport heavy country and we never had any shit like that and I went to a private school as well.

Daria's a liberal mary sue

Do people really get beat up just for being different in school?

Banned here now lel

>yes
>no
>yes, kinda
>only in your dreams
>yes
>summer camp things. The one went to as a kid involved shooting, fishing, archery, shotgun shooting, smores, and smoking around a campfire

We get naked in saunas and steam rooms. The ones at schools and gyms don't mix genders as far as I know.

If this is true Americans can't even be robots. Why don't you just walk out to the street and chat with strangers and cuddle with voluptuous black waitresses then for human interaction? You have no idea what true social isolation is

no

maybe in the 1950s but school fights rarely happen and when they do they're what everyone talks about for like the next week

unless you go to a really poor and/or black school I guess

however if you're irish yes we would have beaten the fucking shit out of you.

Do you sleep in your day clothes?
How far do high school students commute to their school, at most?
Is public transport really this nasty (esp. the subways)?
Is bus transport between neighboring towns as sporadic as I think? How expensive is public transport?
How visible is the hobo population? Do they have fires in old oil barrels under a bridge?
Do newspaperboys exist? Do they really throw the newspaper on your doorstep? What about milk boys?

I'm not old. Don't say that. ;-(

I've been on the internet since Gopher and Usenet were still as big as the HTTP.

>LA maybe
Nope. LA is too spread out for taxis to cruise for riders.

>Some girls actually wears high heels at the college?
Yes. Depends on school culture. I usually only saw them worn at parties though.
>Are people in schools actually divided by groups?
Not really. In high school, there's lots of overlap. It would not be unusual for someone in sports to also be a honors student hanging out with "band people." People usually hangout with people they have similar classes or activities with.

In college, I noticed people tended to hang out with either their roommates or other people in the same club/frat/sorority. There was also a slight ethnic divide. I don't think it's intentional, but if you looked at random groups of people, most of them would be predominately of a certain ethnicity. Athletes almost always hung out with other athletes and were either really serious and smart or the stereotypical jock that got some leniency from professors.

maybe but no
what the fuck shit is this
nope
i guess if your a hick maybe
majority wont
ask again when black