/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Getting started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good intro (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn

>Free online courses
codecademy.com/
freecodecamp.com/
bento.io/

>Roadmap
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

>Youtube channels
youtube.com/user/TechGuyWeb - Traversy Media
youtube.com/channel/UC8butISFwT-Wl7EV0hUK0BQ - freeCodeCamp
youtube.com/channel/UCO1cgjhGzsSYb1rsB4bFe4Q - funfunfunction
youtube.com/learncodeacademy - codecademy
youtube.com/derekbanas

>in-depth comparison of VPS hosts
webstack.de/blog/e/cloud-hosting-provider-comparison-2017/

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/wdg
webpack.js.org/configuration/resolve/#resolve-modules
google.pl/search?q=html rich text editor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Norway

>be a react developer in a nice comfy startup
>leave startup and accept a much better paid enterprise position
>have to work with backbone and underscore
kids, don't do this

This is how my db is set up:

>two user type tables with a foreign key to user_info table
>two types of businesses with a foreign key to business_info table

My issue is, how do I manage one (or more) business manager? Should I use the primary key from user_info or one of the two user type tables?

In one word describe your personal portfolio website. I'll start:

JUST

>doesnt exist

>personal portfolio website
what is this, 2012?

What is the 2017 equivalent?

>exists
but no content
what's bad about a place to demonstrate what you can do?

a profile on medium

> not building his own medium equivalent to showcase his talent

Spotted the graphic designer pretending to be web developer

Using react redux combineReducers kills my app. The view doesn't reflect the state even if given an IntialState. However, using devtools I see that the state changes the way it is supposed to do? What's going wrong?

How do we get rid of the ESL web dev poster problem on Sup Forums?

Ill post this in the new thread as well.

Okay, I've noticed that the view gets undefined props?

>being so uncreative that you have to resort to cloning boring shit

>What's going wrong?
you're using redux instead of mobx

what? you mean the esport league?

spotted the esl shitter who's apparently a vidya nerd
go away

Would you go to university to study web development, /wdg/?

Would you say it is bad to include header and footer files with PHP or is that okay?

I am very new, I will look up on the downsides, is there a major reason not to?

Not that I am aware of, just seeking other people's thoughts.

now I'm genuinely curious what you mean by esl. I haven't been reading wdg lately because I'm currently in mania mode working on a project 24/7

fuck no

it's fine. doing mvc with some templating engine is a better way to do it, but beginners should be taking it one step at a time

are you retarded? Once you finish, there'll be new meme frameworks which you didnt study about.

Also, good luck paying off the debts competing against pajeet

>Ditch angularjs for react or vue and you got a better stack.

Why is that better than angular for MEAN stack?

his personal preference. try all three of them yourself or pick one at random. reading a bunch of contradictory opinions won't help you in making the choice
also typescript+react+mobx+styled-components is currently the best spa combo

explain this

I did and minored in information systems. Wish I had reversed the two and majored in IS instead. I would still not recommend it because of the massive debt. I was an armyfag so I don't have to worry about student loans.

Universities offer web dev course?

Clever. What don't you get?

I inherited a React+Redux codebase, found Redux to be absolute cancer.

It would have been neat in a language with algebraic types like Haskell (TypeScript doesn't cut it, unfortunately) or one with actor model concurrency like Erlang, but the way it is it's too much boilerplate for too little gain.

Not even really an option, but no.

It helps me get a grasp of fun languages, tho. It feels like little sandbox in JS that let's you do some stuff you aren't actually cut for manipulating some views in an app.

the second recursion particularly, but not too sure about how the whole algo works

By, "Second recursion", you mean the second time it goes through the function? I'll explain it as such.

Notice that when it calls the program, it uses
hanoi(3, 'Src', 'Aux', 'Dst');

In that order.

Then when it reaches the first point of recursion, it calls in a different order
hanoi(disc - 1, aux, src, dst);

Notice how the order changes between src, aux, and dst. Does that help?

I found my mistake. I introduced combineReducers to my app which, I guess, changed the state tree of my app. However, I didn't consider this in my stateToProps function. This is why I referenced a wrong object and returned undefined to my view. Have tits fellow niggeneers

I did, and when I got hired I asked my boss if they would have hired me w/o a degree. The answer was a clear yes. And then I proceeded to work next to someone who had a degree in english and had just finished a code bootcamp

So, if i understood correctly, the second call with 'aux' as second argument moves the disc from aux to dst, unlike the first call which moves disc from src to dst.

Experience is king in web development. I learnt nothing from my time at university and it did fuck all in getting me a job.

If you want formalized, structured learning it can be good if you pick the right course that will teach you the coding you'll need and good practices but it's expensive. Also, degree courses teach you all the answers that employers love putting on coding tests (a self taught PHP developer probably will never experience things like tree structures and the various search types)

If you can learn a comfortable level of coding yourself, get a portfolio of coding examples you can show off and contribute to some projects that'll look very good on a CV and put you ahead of someone with just a degree and no proof he can actually code.

Yes, and now that I look at it, I see it calls itself twice in the same function. So double recursion, never seen that pattern before. So it mixes them up once and calls itself, then mixes itself up again and calls itself

Official Discord server:

discord.gg/wdg
discord.gg/wdg
discord.gg/wdg
discord.gg/wdg
discord.gg/wdg

Stop spamming your private server.
Post in the thread if you have something to contribute.

Ok real talk; How viable is it to make a living on remote work / free lance? I've social anxiety and I'm not sure if I can function in a team with irl interactions and meetings.

What's wrong with underscore?

Not user, but Lodash in objectively better and backbone is old man garbage

Anyone using webpack and react? Is it possible to do imports like: import Button from 'Button' no matter where the component is in components directory? I would want to use unique names and just use them to import.

pretty sure with freelance work you need even better social skills since you have to market yourself and go out to find new customers on your own (at least in the beginning)

I am in a similar situation.
Looking at job offers it's all those places trying to be hip and advertising with regular events and partys. I just want to code something and possibly get paid...

I am using webpack with Vue.
Not 100% sure I understand you, but yeah of course you can require/import from any directory.

I was the same as you. As a adult you will have to find a way to not be socially anxious. Understand where the problem comes from. You cannot function independently without having to interact with others regularly. Also if you are doing freelance shit then there will be a lot of video / phone calls. It is unavoidable.

I mean i want to Import a Button, but using a component name and without a path.

So it works when I move the component. Like for example React Native got providesModule.

import Button from './path/to/button'

>social anxiety
>trying to succeed in freelance
Might as well kill yourself right now.

Fully remote contract gigs on sweatshop rentacoder sites don't pay enough to scratch out a meager living in anywhere other than india or china. In order to succeed in freelance in the US you have to build a local client base, meaning sales and account management (real human interaction). It's a huge part of the job.

Yeah, but I would want it without the path.

there is resolve.modules where you can specify which directory webpack should check.
So you can specify your component directory in there and webpack will check it, when you import 'button' in your code.
That what you mean?

webpack.js.org/configuration/resolve/#resolve-modules

But it won't scan the folder recursively? If the component is in subfolder it won't work?

You have to override the default behavior ya dunce. There's not an out-of-the-box solution for this, but it's very doable and pretty straightforward to implement. Go do the legwork from this point and figure it out.

no, the loader needs a path to a specific file.
imo it wouldn't be a good idea anyway to import something in such a vague way

It's not really vague. In native we got unique components names and it worked.
You don't have to think where the hell is that component located or change 50 paths when its moved.

But it seems it's impossible in webpack.

Just find normal work remotely. I'm in the same situation. Only have to deal with the boss and some coworkers. But it's only over net. Don't need to deal with clients or other crap. You don't need to talk about anything beyond the tasks with them.

Of course it's possible, you're just retarded.

How do I get my first client? Local businesses? Online freelance work? How do I approach clients?

I'm sorry if this gets asked often but I was always terrible with business, I'm honestly clueless when it comes to actually selling my services/work.

>I was always terrible with business, I'm honestly clueless when it comes to actually selling my services/work.
Sounds like you're the perfect candidate for freelance!

:(

Hey guys, I made my first javascript add-on. It makes youtube livestream comments into speech. Pretty great as background entertainment if you find a good stream.

Make them display over the video like in NicoNico and I'll download it

I've been using flask for a while
Recently I wanted to try websocket stuff
But the way I got into it is node.js
Should I migrate flask to node.js
Or migrate the websocket project to a flask websocket project

I'm OK with either, is either of them difinitely better?

>new line for every fragment sentence
>not punctuated
I didn't read your post.

Who are you quoting?

Do webdevs actually like JS? After all, you're still compiling to and using it.

JS is much less shit than it used to be. ES2017 is pretty decent.

I didn't use to like it, now I do. Probably just got used to its apparent shittinnes.

FUCK FUCK FUCK I JUST WANT A COMFY JOB WITHOUT A DEGREE BUT WEBDEV IS SO FUCKING BORING AND IT ALL JUST SEEMS LIKE COPY AND PASTE BULLSHIT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO BORING AND INSUFFERABLE

less shit is extremely relative

For those who made it

Was it worth it?

There's no "making it" in web dev

Employed

Yeah. Saving a ton of money. Tons of flexibility. Gonna move to Europe and work from there for a year. Upper middle-class income. Work on pretty much whatever I want whenever I want.

I'm glad Sup Forums is also so helpful.
I actually went to r/software and scoped out people who needed specific apps made. But I've since accepted a job somewhere so haven't had time to do side work. Should get back into it though.

What do you feel about devops? We're steadily heading in that direction at my shop.

Freedom to create any app you want, that can easily be opened by anyone with access to a browser.
Are you talking about converting PSD to WordPress templates or wtf.
If all you do is reuse other people's code I feel bad for you.
Get some creativity going.

Oh yes. I started at $47k for my first job and now at $80k with fairly minimal expenses, so knocking back a good bit of money. Job is pretty low-stress, also.

Is there a like element that has default functionality to bold and underline, etc. kind of markdown/controls like ctrl+b?

Damn good job user. I'm still waiting to hear back from HR about moving from a 57 to 87k job in a different department. Hope to be there before the end of the year

You could probably use some type of jQuery WYSIWYG if you wanted to.

Everything is done with RxJS now

google.pl/search?q=html rich text editor