/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9eN0CIyF2ok
alsa.opensrc.org/Ladspa_(plugin)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Using_mbeq
amazon.com/Intel-3160-Wireless-Bluetooth-Supports/dp/B00IOS19E6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503598316&sr=1-2&keywords=INTEL Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>be me in HS
>ask nerd friend to help me understand linux
>he comes over and for some reason ubuntu didnt start x
>he creates new tabs of terminal and tells me thats linux whilst smiling

clicked on this nigger's video
youtube.com/watch?v=9eN0CIyF2ok
at some point he yells DENIED a few times, really loud which led me to:
alsa.opensrc.org/Ladspa_(plugin)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Using_mbeq

Im looking for compressor/normalizer/equalizer? to set an upper limit to prevent ear rape from fags like the one above

any audio masters lurking?

what do

>something breaks in windows
you're fucked
>something breaks in linux
>you can fix it yourself 99% of the time unless you're borderline retarded

why did you link that?

>something breaks in windows
>search around for 30 minutes until you finally find a promising forum thread
>"nevermind i figured out" or "pm'd you the fix, thanks"

>something breaks on linux
>search around for 30 minutes until you realise how fucking retarded you are, and fix the problem

>why did you link that?
i saw something about i have never installed archlinux should i use a helper so i linked it, the end is almost the same from a user pov just a lot simpler to do

oh
guy was asking about arch specifically, perhaps i shouldve added "and if you're not comfortable with linux, use ubuntu".

not exactly something i can relate to, arch was my first proper linux desktop experience, and with the amount of support arch has i've never had an issue

i accept your notion that the end result is almost the same, though the same is true of countless distro choices

amazon.com/Intel-3160-Wireless-Bluetooth-Supports/dp/B00IOS19E6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503598316&sr=1-2&keywords=INTEL Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Is this a good WiFi card for my Asus X552C? I need to change my MT7630E because it doesn't work on Ubuntu 16.04.

I recently picked up a macbook and i want to dualboot macOS and some linux distro, heres the info i can give you.
(pic related is specs on the machine +500GB 5400RPM disk)
>Linux/BSD experience: Moderate to High
>Apple computer experience: Low
>im afraid of even trying to install linux on this thing with the way the process is so tedious
>i want something thats ubuntu easy but gentoo level freedumbs (no systemd or associated softwares, no unreasonable bloat)
>im a former distro hopper and these are what ive used in the past
>ubuntu
>ubuntu MATE
>xubuntu
>lubuntu
>debian
>arch
>manjaro
>funtoo
>gentoo
>B.L.A.G (as a joke for a week)
>fedora
>openSUSE
>Slackware
I want to use this computer for:
>Learning and programming in C and C++
>Respecting my FreeDumbs
>managing my finances
>writing long documents in LaTeX
>watching downloaded movies and TV shows
Can you guys help me make a decision and maybe dumb down the Linux on a mac process?

why is installing it on a mac any different to any other computer? use whatever distro you want.

There's like a 40 step EFI meme and using a bootloader is apparently a pain in the ass, i remember using linux on tons of BIOS and even EFI windows boxes before and its never been this needlessly complicated.
The distro recommendation asking was more for "where do you recommend i settle down after using all this shit"

>late-2011
>recently picked up
christ, why

its just a laptop user
pick a distro and install it.

really? have you tried installing a bootloader? where are you getting your information?
other than hybrid mbr bs (trivial to work around) i had no issue with setup

sell it for a Oryx Pro from System76. The true Linux rig. -Lunduke

Do I still need to bridge the wlan interface to the Ethernet one? That's where I'm fucking up at the moment - clients can connect to the AP just fine and get assigned an IP by the router's DHCP server, it's just that when I bring up the bridge the IP of the host machine turns into a black hole for anything addressed to it specifically.

I am in dire need of a distro recommendation.
After Arch broke my XMonad install after updating, I thought it may be time to switch to something a bit more stable.
Now I am on Debian 9 with xfce, and its the most horrendous system I ever used.
Holy fuck, everything randomly brakes all the time.
Sometimes it can't even properly turn the PC off without taking forever.
Network Manager randomly decides that it doesn't want to connect to my wlan.
Alsa and/or pulseaudio crash randomly too.
Is there anything that isn't bloated?
Maybe I should just go back to arch and never update...

ubuntu...?

>that isn't bloated

ubuntu minimal...
fucking idiot

How do I change what applications are on the list when I right-click in X?

t. retard

what's bloated about ubuntu minimal?

I've switched my primary system over to GNU/Linux - but 85% of my experience programming has been with .NET C# on a Windows platform.

I understand that .NET Core is out and expanding, but there isn't much there for it (Console applications, web API.)

My other 15% is split between Java, and minimally C++.

Has anyone else made this transition, or have any ideas on how to cope with seemingly handicapping my self? I'd like to continue programming on GNU/Linux its just a bit difficult to kind of 'start over'.

Any recommendations on languages/libraries/frameworks that would make this less painful would be really appreciated (and friendly, if possible - I do understand i am an easy target).

systemd

@62068660
are you even the person im ment to be talking with
you're not worthy of my yous

What happens when you use sudo apt-get install firefox ? Does it download a package called "firefox" from one of the package lists youre subscribed to?

checks the packages dependancies are installed, installs them first then installs the package you asked for. you'll be warned about any conflicts if they are any.

Thanks. Was i right about?
>download a package called "firefox" from one of the package lists youre subscribed to

yes.

I'll try it.
Debian is working really horribly for me, so I pretty much need to change, and at least proprietary driver support is alright in ubuntu (fucking broadcom... should have known better when buying my mobo)

>install ubuntu mini
>untick everything under "software" in the process
>try to install kde-desktop
>it downloads whole fucking Kubuntu with all of the bloatware apps
I tried to install just plasma but it couldnt find that thing. What did i do wrong? I just want a Ubuntu+DE without any unnecessary apps.

don't install the meta-package. you clearly know what you want, so just install those bits.

I thought that Kubuntu-full is the whole thing but i was wrong... Ill commands to install just plasma failed for me.

Sounds like you are doing the bridge wrong. You are supposed to put the IP on the bridge interface, not on one of the slave interface. Try forgetting about the bridge and just enabling ip forwarding with sysctl (and iptables if relevant). Assuming you are using different subnets.

I got the same thing in Debian when trying to install konsole, I think it is just how the kde stuff is packaged.

i think the switch you want is --no-install-depends or something similar. try it out. give apt-mark a try too

Youre probably right.
> kde-plasma-desktop --- This will install the core -- the bare-minimum required-- of KDE. That is, kdebase-apps, kdebase-runtime, kdebase-workspace and kdm.
This is as bare as it gets. Still installs various software like firefox, ktorrent, dolphin, etc. That command didnt even work for me, had to use "kde-desktop".

taking votes for cutest music player

deadqueef

deadbeef is the best

so remove systemd, brainlet
notice the guy he was replying to said debian, which also uses systemd

gmusicbrowser
shame its fucking perl

It's recommends, not depends, and I did use that you nubbins.

--no-install-recommends
??

oops just read the post again ignore that
you mean it installed all the other things although you told it to not install dependancies / recommended packages...?

>HDD almost full
>installs a distro on removable HDD
>nothing in grub menu
it's supposed to boot on /dev/sdb4
all I get is /dev/sbax

>install tmux
>busy 24 hours setting it up (fucking escape sequence madness!)
>tfw I don't even start new terminals anymore
>ftw terminal in fullscreen with 5 panes, doing work with great overview
>ftw don't need X anymore
>ftw living on tty1
>once a day switching to X for browsing chinese imageboards

>not just starting 2 terminals
autism

What does "End of Life" mean for non LTS releases?

It means that you woun't get any upgrades anymore and the repos will shut down soon.

Upgrades as in application updates from package manager subscriptions? Or OS updates?

Package upgrades. You can still upgrade to a new distro release later (but you should upgrade ASAP). If the repos are already down or more infos in general, check this guide: help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Whats Kubuntu equivalent of apt-get install xubuntu-core? I need the most possible barebone KDE DE!

Guess what the K in Kubuntu means.

I know that K stands for KDE. I need the least bloated KDE package.

>bloated
What do you mean?

I want the least number of preinstalled applications.

And that guy is also a retard. Not to mention fixing all the shit you break by removing systemd takes more time than installing Gentoo/SMGL.

i was joking, i know how much of a pain in the ass it is to replace systemd

>SMGL
Been playing around with it in a VM and it's a really beautiful little distro.

What is the best terminal irc client (if any exist)

does any1 outside of Sup Forums even use it

Thank you!

The only I'm using.

I'm having trouble making a boot usb, how do I do this shit?

irssi

thanks

weechat or irssi
You must choose.

>he has to start a display server every time he browses the web
>claims not to be browsing the web all day long, which he is
>has to stop his "work" while he does that
>can't just use a terminal emulator within X because that renders his alleged tty usage retarded
>is already retarded

Abort yourself.

Friendly thread. Bullies pls go.

You should campaign against idiots. Then your thread might become friendly.
Get rid of the retards, no one will have the need to be unfriendly to them.

Users of all levels are welcome, this includes retards. If you think something is stupid, provide better ideas. If it makes you feel better to bully on retards, this thread is not for you.

What is the most patrician way to install applications on Ubuntu? Default packages often have VERY old software. Should i use launchpad for everything?

Use an updated GNU/Linux distribution like Arch or Gentoo.

I am too stupid for that.

Linux screenshot from 1994.

launchpad, get into snaps if you find what you want, etc.
agreed

No you're not. Help yourself and embrace the true GNU/Linux spirit.

your a bullying retard and your mum sucked the cock of the user you insulted

That's how it feels to be bullied, I didn't actually mean it but here, take a sip of your own medicine

This might sound stupid, but try some simple scripting. Something simple and personal for you, in bashscript or your favourite scripting language. Google around for a handful of videos about the unix environment. Learn about pipes and stuff.

I admit I don't have any experience in 'real' professional programming in big projects and stuff so I don't know how that'd work for you, but the thing that makes linux fun for me is that the whole operating system becomes your framework, your library.

Also, learn vim.

vim is evil
this is friendly thread

MODDDDS

>Google around
>the unix environment
>linux fun

Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile?
Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

Install firefox.

nice

>chromium
delet this

Stop dubsposting.

no

It says "existing process" so maybe kill chromium process(es) and try again.
>Fucked if I know.

What is the most correct way to uninstall applications so they dont leave any garbage behind?

uninstall them with you package manager

use the package manager

Depends on the distro ant its package mangers. Options differ.

Install GuixSD or NixOS

sic

What are some cool terminal commands?

im currently using fedora 26, im thinking of switching to rolling release distro.
can somebody recommend me a decent distro?

tmux
emacs
bash
gcc
sed
shred
gpg

curl
nano
atool
htop
maim