/SAP/ General

/SAP/ General

Discuss your daily life using this technology, or just share your horror stories

How can 95% of business software be so total crap?

>excepting people to put their soul into something called "business software"

>Used to work for a big corp, they had Accenture come in and implement SAP everything... A lot of big guns from Accenture actually made the switch to work for our corp and then would keep hiring Accenture consultants instead of building an in house expertise.

>Department I work in is merged with SAP deployment team and have to start working with them. Called themselves "digital business analyst", "professional system integration analyst" or some other BS title.

>Scrums were basically a roll call of which offshore resource was working on what bug, while onsite consultants were playing around with their dicks.

>From what I saw their M.O. was always the same:
-Come up with an analysis showing SAP will bring X profits and Y benefits to Z department while any junior could see it's 95% based on BS. I guess people just stop caring after they time and time again failed to live up to the promised ROI and management keeps pushing it.
-Get the least business and technical requirements from Z department.
-Descope most of the features due to lack of time or due to excessive complexicty
-Descope even more
-Descope again for good mesure
-Develop a solution that only works for the best case scenario
-Go live, catastrophic failure ensue since the solution isn't design to handle exceptions and non-happy path processes
-Ask for more money to develop out of scope "features" and make solution viable to a minimum
-Every bug is put in a "parking lot", which means it's never going to be fixed until they get more money to work on them
-At the end of the project the parking lot is bigger then what was actually build
-Walk away from mess
-Rinse and repeat

Good times

pretty much that,
>big company
>a couple of certifications in Java so I get to work with a bunch of poos
>they suck but they eventually get something done and we just make sure it works ok
>SAP team has an interface with our app
>every end of month or quarter there is a fucking shitshow because something failed in SAP
>check our side, everything is ok, must be SAP team I tell them
>finally SAP checks and it was their fault all this time
every fucking time SAP shits the bed, I'm surprised my java trained poos don't break stuff as often

Revenge for WW2

This
Our artificially created internet startups didn't took off and now we're just saying alrightyfuckitthen

>-Ask for more money to develop out of scope "features" and make solution viable to a minimum
And that is when the hourly rate goes through the roof.

They get the specs in writing, knowing well that the customer has forgotten something important. And they keep quiet. Until that part becomes a block to success. In which case it just HAS to be fixed and good times roll.

SAP = Slow And Painful.

Accenture = Accidenture.

WTF even is SAP? I tried to read the webpage but got nothing but marketing bullshit.

What actually is it?

some sort of cult for companies

Don't they make Crystal reports as well? I use that for my job and let me tell you it is the worst piece of software I've had to use.

>can't find job in engineering area i graduated on
>have to work for Accenture on SAP while i'm looking for a job i'll enjoy more

what sort of hell awaits me Sup Forums?

I actually transferred from finances to sales simply because I had to get aways from SAP, shit coworkers and constant invasion from HR monkeys.

Best decision of my life.

+1
Crystal reports is the bane of my life. And I work with shit from Crapita and Northgate.

We use it for all of our customer facing documents. It's hell and the only, ONLY, benefit is that we can apply hot fixes with it without going through the normal flow of dev -> QA -> whatever -> production. I've been pushing for our project manager to switch to itext for our reports, because that shit is version controlled and is easy to design and develop. Not to mention the layout does exactly what you want it to with no ugly misaligned boxes and columns

What the fuck does it even do? I got a friend who works there, he literally couldn't explain to me what the fuck the software does.

Because they make it so "general" and customizable you need trained teams just to set the thing up. It's apparently so they can sell the same shit to everyone without custom development needed, and make extra from the retarded buyers who cant even configure their software by themselves

Fuck. I want to make easy money like that.

Holy shit why?
I avoid using this shit at work whenever possible.

Why you hate SAP so much, Sup Forums? You always look for the bad side...

>Be me at big company
>The IT is so dumb that I compromise their network the second week on duty.
>Suddelnly they want to install SAP and make all the paper work to be "electronic"
>They brought more dumber pajeets to install SAP
>I've been monitoring all their internal lap/databases they use to implement SAP.
>They implement it on HR, Payroll, finance, successfactor meme and some other BS.
>The one who assigned to operate it are the dumbest in the company.
>Compromize it to my benefits
>Constantly deduct pennies under (insurance category/blabla) from 12000+ employee
>Comprise some logical mistake they did to my benefits as well (like counting the days in a month, which is 31 instead of 1 year in the contract) for all employees.
>Some "above average" data entry found some errors in the calculation and something is fishy
>He can't report to management because they were so ignorant that they will blame him and fire him because the management was more strict about SAP and how it is problem solver.
>And here I'm, quit the company after 6 years, harvest everything about SAP, and even my end service money I double it as a treat for myself.

You will be guys shocked to know that how big companies usually run by stupid people.

>stuff that likely didn't happen, the post

Happened at my work but with some garbage called Aptean. The consultants were a bunch of fucking morons.

Is there even a good """consulting""" company?

Filling in timesheets and getting charge codes is the bane of my working life. SAP can rot in hell.

>be me
>working on the logistics dept. for a factory of a multinational corporation
>the whole factory uses SAP for everything, even simple things
>SAP main server crashes
>production continues but no product's serial is registered to stock until SAP is working again
>unregistered products end up a special place in the warehouse
>once SAP is up, these products must be registered one by one by typing the serial into SAP
>go to the warehouse's unregistered stack
>more than 400 devices waiting to be registered
>each serial is 20 digit
>mfw

>product IDs
>not bar coded
>not qrcoded
>not data matrix encoded

How can your company this much fuckup

>How can your company this much fuckup

I think saving money by not implementing all those complicated and dangerous alternatives was a good thing!

Imagine a bowl.

Now imagine that bowl surrounded by curry fueled Pajeets with Aspergers (1% of SAP's workforce is autistic).

Now imagine the curry fueled Pajeets aiming their explosive diarrhea into the bowl.

Now imagine Karlie Kloss and a group of Koders all projectile vomiting into he bowl.

That bowl is then marketed as cutting edge business software which companies for whatever reason eat up.

My employer is about to buy the SAP BI platform. Anyone have any experience with it? is it a disaster about to happen?

Just steal them man
There won't be any repercussions
Sell the products on the black market

thank god i work for Google and don't have to handle shit software, just diversity emails once a week

Time to start finding a new job user

I work for a large company as well and Accenture is the bane of my existence.

I wouldn't get paid to play minesweeper and listen to podcasts if it weren't for SAP.

>the only, ONLY, benefit is that we can apply hot fixes with it without going through the normal flow of dev -> QA -> whatever -> production.

That's not great about sitting through some late scrum sessions with your dev bro's?
You can have pizza afterwards.

One starts work at 6AM and leaves at 2, another starts at 8 and leaves at 4:30, and the third is a born again Christian who wouldn't stay late to help me if his job depended on it (mostly because he's past retirement age). I just manage the reports myself, usually. Eating pizza alone is slightly above drinking alone in my opinion

They were barcoded with EAN and the serial, but the production line infastracture did not allow to place them again to the scanner that registered them. I asked for a hand barcode scanner that to manually them into a file, but they denied to buy such thing because "we don't need to buy that just for when SAP goes down". Yeah.. SAP went down at least 2 times a month on average, but luckily very rarely for that long time to produce more than 100 unregistered devices. Usually 20-30.

It is not possible. When a production order is issued, the serial is generated before the actual production starts. Eg. today these specific serials will be produced, so the SAP expects to have them on stock by the end of the day. Furthermore since SAP knows that this serial will be produced today, it can assign it to a loading issue before it even reaches the end of the production line, so loading guys might be waiting for it. So it's near impossible to smuggle a product out of the factory.

One more story
>Back then SAP did not like non-english characters
>when you try to type weird encodings or characters, it shits itself
>one of the girls in our dept. typed "OEA755321" as the cargo load ID for an order
>she accidentally typed that string in greek language and didn't notice because it looks exactly the same
>SAP translated it to something else that wasn't the correct load ID, but it accepted it because that thing it translated to turned to be a load ID that actually existed that day
>this caused this load ID to be tied to an order of an individual that ordered a single (1) device
>the warehouse guys started loading 6 containers worth of cargo
>those containers were supposed to be loaded on a container ship heading to england
>they ended up outside the individual's house in a village outside Athens via trucks
I really wanted to see his face when one of the drivers knocked his door and say "we brought your cargo" and saw those container trucks.

I use it all day at my warehouse doing consolidation,picking product, and inventory management. pretty comfy

I don't know what they even do but while trying to find out I came accross this on their official company website.

Is a silver bullet similar to a CMS abstraction for accounting, stock, business intelligence and god knows what more.

I've used SAP and I still have no idea what the fuck it is. I've used it to write work orders to get maintenance work done, but there's a whole bunch of other bullshit used by people in the business and sales and corporate side of the company too. What is this piece of shit software even for?

Its basically a system to manage companies, it includes everything from customer support to factory managment.

As you could expect, it is bloated, very hard to integrate into an exisiting pipeline, and almost impossible to migrate out of it.

No because their bread and butter is out of scope work

>87% of SAP employees embrace workplace diversity
what the fuck does this even mean? did they hand their employees questionnaires asking how progressive they are?

Nop, consulting begins factory of software, cheap and easy replace workers,only know very simple language or framework,begins command by mananger and sales team to extract money to clients and gets good margins,software begins average CRUD and any smart programmer gets out or becomes mananger or sales teams.

>Autism at work

For those of us who don't work in Enterprise®, would you mind recounting why SAP is a big deal?

what is the alternative?

SAP is 87% morrocans and pajeeth.

Never crossed my imagination that I would find SAP thread on Sup Forums.

Have you guys even seen S/4HANA? That shit is even more complicated since it now only work in "da cloud" for small companies

Isn't SAP HANA just a huge database running on a ramdisk?

why is that user?

t. shill

We use this in the military to keep track of soldiers' personal information, attendances, etc etc