Going to college for networking and CISCO stuff

Going to college for networking and CISCO stuff.

Have 0 experience in anything related, what am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

ciscopress.com/store/ccna-routing-and-switching-portable-command-guide-icnd1-9781587205880
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A Router up your stick.

A lot of studying? What is that question OP?

I doubt so, the lectures are only 3 days a week.

bunch of commands that they want to teach you through an environment that has GUI options.

finishing last year now. A lot of cisco commands, go make a journal. idk about your school but we were allowed to use our journals during exams for all cisco commands.

Its easy af desu, and if you have little knowledge how computers work youre in for a good mark. just do your homework and labs

This IF you really want to get good at networking get your hands on a proper cisco switch and get configuring. Also get a copy of a server OS to run in a virtual machine environment and get building a network. Good luck.

>
>I doubt so, the lectures are only 3 days a week.

So you think attending the lectures is all you gonna do? XD

Like the other user said expect a lot of study.

In terms of cisco it's really all quite easy if you've got the mind for it.

Get GNS3. Use CBTNuggets or INE if there's anything in the class you're struggling with.

you'll probably do netacad. cisco has great technical writers, you just need to keep focused and not skip the labs. labs are important.

packet tracer is great for a beginner because of it's simulation mode. not everything you're supposed to learn is implemented though, so get your hands on some real devices our virtual appliances. they're out there on the internet.

This. Buy one from cablesandkits.com.

Get dnschanged.

Mason
What do the numbers mean

Start playing around in Cisco Packet Tracer. Watch tutorials on how to configure basic topologies and write down commands and their functions. Also, get subnetting down so you can do it in your head efficently. Not hard, almost finished with my Net Admin degree. Just a heavy work load and lots of time. Good luck friend-o, rooting for you.

Cisco isn't an acronym.

The cli is nothing like the Gui.

OP, overstudy for ccna.

juniper > cisco

>Cisco

Expect months of self study before you even consider taking an exam. Especially with no real experience.

I'm about to start college as a CS major, have little experience, what am I in for?

Any books you recommend? A normal paper notebook should be sufficient or is it not needed?

Nice NSA backdoor

>subnetting
Absolutely 100% this. Learn how to convert numbers to binary in your head, and get really good at it. You will spend a lot of time doing it. If you want it explained in one sentence, it's when subnet masks have numbers other than 255 or 0.

I cant say id know any books on hand. I learned through video tutorials and being a part of my colleges cyber club. There is Cisco Network cert books that im sure you can find at a local book store.

According to the teachers on the CCNA course my work has me doing, this is the only book you need:
ciscopress.com/store/ccna-routing-and-switching-portable-command-guide-icnd1-9781587205880

I haven't ever read it, though.

You convert numbers to binary without a calculator? So you're saying you can convert 500 to binary in one second?

There's no reason to think about numbers greater than an octet with subnetting.

All of this??

Not in one second, no. It takes a while, but it's fun and rewarding and the other people on my course really can't do it for some reason.

How do you remember pic related

>Less lectures = less studying
Zozzle

How the fuck is "cisco" a degree?
just how fucking cucked do you have to have an industry to rename it after your company?

>implying cisco isn't the biggest NSA backdoor slut in the universe
kek

What kind of router or switch do I need in order to block spoofed ARP messages? I know you can mitigate this by having static entries but it would be nice to have something that can log any attack attempts.

I've never worked with Cisco or Juniper gear. Can I get a decent one (even refurbished) that costs less than 1000?

Easily.
Get good.

How are Software Defined Networks in terms of security and performance? I know the proprietary routers and switches have custom ASICs but what kind of difference in performance are we looking at?

>memorizing the hosts per subnet of everything from /8 to /30

no point. remember that /30 is for point-to-points. /24 is 254. If you want /23 just remember it's about twice as much (actually, twice plus 2, because it only needs one broadcast and network address, unlike 2 /24s)

No one is going to quiz you on how many hosts a /11 can have. It's pointless.

CCNA test kicked my ass even though I was that one kid who always finished all the tests in high school early. Don't underestimate it, take CCENT first and then take CCNA when you've got practical experience.
Expect large amounts of CLI work. GUIs are slow and clunky, especially on these machines; they're not built for super fancy graphics, they're built to route packets. Also, you're gonna need to plug a laptop in to get them connecting to things, which is something you need if you want to use the ebin meme web gui.
Besides, if you can't handle typing commands into a text prompt you probably aren't cut out for network design...which isn't a big deal because your first job with this cert isn't gonna be *design*, it's gonna be *implementation*. You get to drive out to the location and type those commands in. For big bucks. Have fun.

Is it fine if I use my brother's macbook from 5 years ago? I'm short on cash but if it works, why not. I have nothing against CLI and prefer it

From my cisco exam, they asked me to take an address range of like 172.16.0.0/15 and subnet it out for 500 hosts, 170 hosts, 20 hosts.
And it may have asked for the broadcast address of one of them, I don't remember too much.

Regardless, it's easy shit anyway. /11 is 2^21 so 2097152 - net mask - host net.

It is reverse of your exponent, so 16 is 16, 30 is 2, 24 is 8, ect.

Is there an actual formula for this which you can bring to the tests or is this seriously something you have to know in your head?

>CCENT
>brainlets

CCNA is a fucking walk in the park, m8. I passed on the first try with 45 minutes to spare. What the fuck are you doing with your life?

There are no silver bullets, just learn binary math, you'll need it if you stay in networking and if you'll be persuing certs above CCNA.

Does it have a USB port? What about a serial port? The console cable you'll be using is designed for that ancient fucking serial port that you never use. You can get USB adapters for it, but depending on which kind of macbook you're using you may not even have USB ports (thanks Apple)
I would buy either a cheap laptop or maybe one of those pocket-PC kits based on the RasPi or a clone of it. The important thing is that it has at least one USB port and can handle either PuTTY or a proper terminal-based serial connection program (I used minicom, available in the debian repos).
I had to save up for it because my parents demand nearly $500 in rent and I had just had my hours cut. Took me like three months after the course I had taken on it to finally get into the testing room, and by that time I had screwed myself with a study guide I got for cheap (because it was out of date). I'm taking CCENT first because 1. it's a smaller investment so I'm not gonna starve when I pay for it, 2. it's easier so I'm more likely to pass it, and 3. it'll still land me a job in the IT field, which should pay well enough that I can get the fuck out of my dad's basement.

What is there not to know? How can you not memorize this?

You get a /14 net.
Yay
Okay, so convert it to binary.
Subtract your 14 from 32
So you get 18.
Now count up till you get to 18 places in binary
There, now you subtract your network address and your subnet and you have your usable address amount of 262142.

Not hard

You're not allowed to bring anything into the testing room. They don't even allow you to bring your own water bottles, IIRC. You have to be able to either do the math in your head or memorize the table.

>you'll need it if you stay in networking
ehhh...

>and if you'll be persuing certs
yeah

learning

They make you retake the CCNA every three years. You're gonna have to keep it even if you don't work with it because you won't keep your cert (or job) otherwise.

so basically you need autism, a math degree or photographic memory

wew

Got my CCNA about 15 years ago and worked at Cisco for a couple years.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but a CCNA won't get you anywhere. You need at least a higher level cert (I think CCNP, but check on this). A CCNA will only teach you the fundamentals.

Additionally, the entire IT industry is shifting to the cloud and this is really killing Cisco and all the traditional networking companies. In addition, the move to white-box networking equipment made by the cheap by vendors such as Huawei and the advent of software-defined networking may kill Cisco in the future. So keep your eye on getting some sort of "cloud certification" in the near future and beef up your programming skills, because gone are the days of just getting a CCNA and making bank. As for the "cloud cert," I know "AWS Educate" has their thing, but each cloud provider is different, do you research since I don't know much about this area yet.

Lastly, look up "Eli the Computer Guy," he has some good experiences to share regarding the IT industry in general.

Except for many of us who work in networking don't have certs, or did at one point and let them expire.

>needing a math degree
>for CS
>needing autism to do this

...wait, I'm autistic. Guess I can't say anybody can do it if I can. At least you can do it easily on paper?

Can't tell if serious or tripfaggotry.

>XD

>photographic memory
Bingo.
If you can't remember at least 16 digits of binary, or are too lazy to do grade 1 addition, you should pursue a different career.

Networking.

Start working and then you'll know. I know plenty of people working who have either never had certs, or only have expired certs.

If some guy tells you he wants to work as a steady job at your corporation as a network engineer, he has no certs but he literally built a small ISP to service his town and nearby towns and sold the operation to a major ISP, you'll know he gets it. You don't need to see certs.

If you want to go the cert route get the CCNA and straight into CCNP to land a job. If you do a good job and you get some references to believe in your ability that's all you'll need for the next job if you want to move, all the certs can expire.

fuck Cisco and it's weekly tests.

>months of self study .
isthis what brainlet CCNA/CCNP/CCIEs actually believe

I had a CCNA but it just expired -- it was super easy to get. I studied for about a month and got a 986/1000 first try on the test. I never used the cert because I fell back into the NEET life.

I've since learned other useful shit like python programming. I suggest you do the same if you plan to pursue a future in networking. The days of entering one command at a time in the config file are over. APIs and Software Defined Networking are the future

Yeah but for many companies it's a future that's a long way away.

I'm just saying, if someone needs to learn to get their first networking job, python can come AFTER they know all they need to know about actual networking.

4 years of daycare and hemorrhaging money. Have fun, kiddo.

Once you land a job you can let it lapse, and just re-new it when you're back on the market, this is what most people in the field do cause fuck paying 250 every few years for a piece of paper.

On the off chance that your employer does require having an active cert though, the exam isn't very hard, especially if you've few years as a network admin.

Working 80 hour weeks and being on call 24/7 if there is a network issue.

I hated being a Network Admin. Ended up becoming a lineman

>Networks don't exist at the office, they're all in the cloud

the only correct answer

the gui sucks it is for retards

Managed services are a thing user. All that networking equipment will be in the scrap heap with the PBX eventually.

>Good luck friend-o, rooting for you.
Don't you mean 'routing' for you?

get ready to learn ipv6 you fucker

working with your body it's possible to make more but you wear out sooner physically.

i'd rather sit on my ass and have to hit the gym. not that i do. gym is beer. and whiskey

Hahaha good luck OP

We in the whitebox industry are going to obsolete Cisco in a few years

If you don't know the networking concepts the cli is a fucking rubix cube

>routing
>vlans
>spanning tree

And many more. Consider them all subjects of study.

It's a cert you imbicile.

Good luck

This but also this This is why Cisco is going industrial so hard

As a current NE, Getting your CCNA or CCNP will help getting a foot in the door, but make sure you learn some sort of programming language(Python, Powershell, etc). Everything is started to go automation, and now they are looking for NE's who can program to help automate network tasks.

Going industrial?

>It's a cert you imbicile.
Do you have a cert in dlink too?

IOS is deprecated, learn Cumulus.

Have you seen the first conference they did on Microsoft Server 2016? It was basically a conference on how you're not going to use Microsoft Server 2016.

Yea they have a whole lineup of switches/aps for industrial applications. Factories, mines, harsh enviroments etc. They've really been pushing it by integrating alot industrial protocols into the IOS such as profinet, cip, modbus etc. It can talk to PLCs basically. I use them to establish a 2 gig ring in a large mine, roughly 40km in diameter. The little fuckers are tough as nails.

No but I see you have an a+ cert in autism and faggotry

>No but I see you have an a+ cert in autism and faggotry
Not him, but you're the one that went to school for networking

That's gay because programming is for CS.