/wt/ - Watch Thread - Shitter Free Zone Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=BsZoAD4PnWA
youtube.com/watch?v=mBFI8ScdE4E

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

vrfocus.com/2017/08/formex-swiss-watches-use-ar-to-let-customers-try-before-they-buy/
hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
mcmaster.com/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Previous Thread

>having sex is watches
Check out this mongaloid.
And no I would say he is my gay dad. I don't think it's one or the other that's you.

Remind that if you're arguing back and forth for over 10 hours over whether a movement is quartz or not, you may genuinely have autism.

this

Reminder to NEVER reply to Spring Drive posts.

What if I said something in the morning, went to work, didn't post or look here until I got home, made a post then did some chores and cooked tea, then watched a tv programme and then posted another 2 or 3 replies?

>ninefag made his own thread

At least he is more sensible and less retarded than a lot of the posters here.

Repostan

#
But it doesnt have to use an oscillating elememnt just because there were nobwatches without it before. Its like calling all quartzes synced to an atomic clock atomic because most of their precision comes from the atomic element.

Think about it like this, if the EM break is ever made so finely tuned that it keeps time on its own, and you add a quartz on top of that for some extra accuracy, is it a quartz watch?

Both threads were made within 60 seconds of eachother. He just made the normal thread without troll op.

Why can't he afford to get those boils removed? Frankenstein looking motherfucker.

>tfw newfags can't into tripcodes

They add class to his face

>arguing back and forth for over 10 hours over whether a movement is quartz or not
They wouldn't know, cause if you remove the crystal from their quartz watches, unlike a spring drive, they stops for them :^)

This is the post all of you do not reply to.

@62070670
thank (you) :^)

So I got quoted $35 at one jeweler and $80 at another to change the battery, gaskets, and pressure seal to water tight resistance for my Tag Heur Formula 1.

The watch needs the battery changed like every 3 years.

Can I put a stronger battery that will last longer?

What watches don't need batteries?

I know my fathers rolex and brightling don't. He puts them in a box that spins them while he doesn't wear them.

Please help, I'm trying to get back into to watches like I used to as a young lad.

>What watches don't need batteries?
Spring Drives ^.^

Why don't you buy a Smart Watch? It's actually really entelligenment and can send SMSes just like James Bond in Quantum of Mechanics movie.

But if yuo must know the secret way of clocking. I recommend ypu look at the links of OP's post. They are links to Your Tube. Look at the videos.

>brightling
ask r/watches

sup /wt/
got this Bulova chrono
and just can't seem to reset it or even move the second hand no matter what
do I really have to climb inside of it? what can be done?

Don't buy watches at the mall.

>bulova
>mall
what did he mean by that?

That he is a dirty casual.

bulova computron for that other faggot

>owned by citizen, THE mall watch company

Ghastly.

Trust me, you're better off with it not working

>Chronograph
>Roman numerals
>Fake gold/rose gold
>Porthole case
It's like the god damn four horseman of shitty watches.

>rose gold
>shitty
doubtlessly
but that isn't helping me to get this damn quartz to function
I want it ticking, one way or another I will restore its purpose

Dude just pop off the back and drop a new battery in it. It's not like you're changing the mainspring on a Patek or anything.

vrfocus.com/2017/08/formex-swiss-watches-use-ar-to-let-customers-try-before-they-buy/

was hoping to avoid that
now I need to go and get a battery

What is the point of having date windows in that style? I see it quite often.

In some cases it can be less aesthetically jarring. A lot of the time just having a single rectangle of some color that doesn't match the dial can really mess up the watch face. That isn't much of an improvement, but I think it works pretty well on the Nomos worldtimer. IWC manages to pull it off somewhat better than the one you posted as well.

>Homos

It's the easiest thing in the world to do to a watch, next to changing the strap. Literally all you have to do is pry off the back with a butter knife or a small flathead and looks for a suitable battery at any fucking store.

(You)

Is this bait ?

Someone gave me this timex in pieces and claims all the parts are there. Let's find out.

In case you forget what the day before and after is

Oh it's missing a stem and parts of the key less works... I'll just see if i can get it ticking i guess

>reddit spacing
>Tag Hue Hue

>/wt/

No it's not bait. I'm being 100% genuine. I can even post a pic my watch.

I'm not from reddit, Sup Forums all the way.

What's wrong with Tag's?

>Having any room to talk when you post the human definition of "pearls before swine"

are rolex (subs, preceramic) 100% swiss?

define what you mean by 100% swiss

i guess by ur post, you can tell me what isnt swiss in rolexes (in particular interest are preceramic subs)

you guess wrong, I can not. But it's still worth thinking about what exactly "100% swiss" means to you. For example, I suspect gold and diamonds in Rolex watches are not mined in Switzerland.

i mean the all the steel, and parts, and the entire production for the entire watch is done in switzerland

btw, doesnt rolex have their own
gold' mine or foundry or someting? bit of a side note this one, as i am realy only interested in s/s

iirc there was a hodinkee article posted here yesterday or the day before about Rolex factories. They are 100% in house swiss made (raw materials come in, Rolex magic, then swiss watch out.)
Yep they have their own foundry, I think the cut gem stones are the only exception to the above reply.

Even in steel rolexes, the hands are made of gold. Indices too, I believe, though not sure.

The link
hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex

Is this that oil filled watch that makes the dial look like it's on the curved glass?

yes

Definitely at least mostly Swiss, but they're not exactly transparent about their supply chain. How far back do you want to go? Final assembly of all the parts? Finishing the parts? Producing the parts from the metal stock? Growing their synthetic sapphires and rubies? Forging the metal? Mining the metal? Producing the ore through Earth's geological processes? Creating heavier elements from nuclear fusion? Creating the universe?

Why does it even really matter who made it and where it came from? They used to brag about using Swedish steel in their ads. Today they forge their own gold alloys. Their hands to this day are not made in-house, they come from Fiedler SA. They used to buy their bracelets from a company called Gay Frères, now it's a Rolex subsidiary. Those are all the little tidbits I know.

Hands and applied indices have been white gold for a while now. I think in Subs it started around the 80s.

>How far back do you want to go? until at least the 7th day, when God finally rested

>Why does it even really matter who made it and where it came from?
it matters to me. country of origin means a lot to me and i really dont care what people think about this

if im paying a lot of money for my dream watch, id like to know that my dreams wont be crushed knowing some part of it had contact with dog fat-stained chinese hands at some point

>falling for the bait so hard you repost

good shit

people forget how to count?

It's really to prepare you to putting forward the day on 30 day (28/29 too I suppose) months. You see it there taunting you reminding you that you will forget.

i wouldn't ruin the look of my watch just for that purpose t.b.h

the bitchy argument above.

hey guys, new to watch thread. I picked up this pretty little thing and i love it ! the gears dont move for some reason, i think they might be broken. it makes me look rich and classy as fuck!

try harder.

2/10 made me reply

lol but for real my gf actually thought I'd like this. what should I do when given a gift like this?

Just don't be an ungrateful cunt, that's about it.

Keep it in a safe place but don't use it. If you want you can dish it when you broke up with her.

Hate fuck that cunt.

just wear the shitter occasionally you cunt and after time just hide it somewhere

that's a fucking aliexpress shitter, is your gf jewish by any chance?

Did you use your diving bezel to time your tea?

>not using a chronometer

THOTs have literally no concept of quality when it comes to watches. Just this morning a girl at my workplace was showing off her new watch she got for roughly a dollar.

lmao. she paid $2 on eBay from a Malaysian seller. it look about 15 days. I'll wear it as sort of a reminder that the price doesn't matter; the value does. I'll look at this watch and see it as a symbol of her thinking about me, and caring about me enough to get this for me. it may be a shitter from malaysia, but what matters more is that sentimental value outweighs any Rolex or high priced watch. actually, nevermind. she should have gotten me a Rolex submariner. stupid fucking bitch knows nothing about watches. I'm throwing this chink shit in the trash.

...I think user just went from loving his girlfriend to dumping her in one post

Would you happen to be bipolar?

you don't pick them well, and when you're like you, you gotta educate them at the least

almost got emotional till the end there

>my sides

for real though, now you're talking like a real man. Don't be a little fucking wuss and take it up the ass like some sentimental fucking faggot, as if that shit even matters and shes not just doing that to make you sympathize for her.

>typing chronometer when you mean chronograph

holy shit oops

do gold cases for seikos look like shit if you buy a gold band with it making it fully gold? what's the alternative to the stupid croc leather?

Put it on a dark blue perlon.

sorry, i would but i don't think it'll fit. the face isn't gold, just the case.

I actually just saw that whole post chain and it was fucking hilarious.One guy was trying to convince an equally stubborn guy how his point made sense and the other guy would pick some random sticking point and hold on to it like it was the edge of a cliff no matter how little sense it made. hilarity/10

you forgot about it costing 30k usd.

>bitchy argument
it is fucking autism i am telling you. Look at the last thread. One seiko autist plus ninefag and then a few non seiko autist all arguing. we should have somehow attempted containment.

(((pvd)))

shit's gotta be expensive

pvd is not even remotely expensive they use it on fucking door handles.

oh. how would i get something like that done then?

316L stainless steel, what Rolex uses for their watches, is also used for plumbing that carries toilet water and feces out of your house.

For it to be inexpensive it would have to remain an industrial process. It would be expensive for you to get an individual piece you have coated for a variety of reasons. The equipment is fairly specialized. The watch you have would have to be taken completely apart and professional cleaned before coating and it would make no sense as it doesn't provide anything but a cheap semi durable coating.

Can you identify what watch this guy is wearing ? Is it a rolex ? Do you think it is authentic ?

I was not saying seikos were cheap Jesus fucking Christ look at the comment i was responding to first before attacking me. Also You are a fucking idiot because plumbing is not made of 316l which is actually pretty fucking expensive. most of you guys should check this website out mcmaster.com/. and maybe learn a few things about material pricing and specifications prior to comment as maybe only on or two of you has any experience making a single fucking thing.