2. Do you go to elections?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy
youtube.com/watch?v=NpiqX6ouM-8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes otherwise you get a $20 fine

> flag
> of course I don't vote

Seriously, you have to be like 50 years old and completely ignorant to think your vote matters.

>bush beat gore by 500 votes

It doesn't matter
You vote for people but what these people do about policies is entirely out of your hands

please somebody kill millenials now

You don't have to go anywhere they visit your home and ask to vote

Do you really think anything would be different if gore won? Seriously, I'm asking you.

>I worked hard and my opinion matters because I walked miles to the polling place and threw in a vote that was immediately cancelled out by a million uninformed jackasses.

Democracy is about who has the best advertising campaign and believing anything you vote on matters is pure ignorance.

tb'h America can hardly be considered a democracy.

Yes, even if sometimes there is no choice so I just leave a blank vote.

1. Éire

2. Yes but I don't know why. Our last election was a fucking sham, fine gael are still in power. A shower of corrupt, greedy, nepotistic, cowardly fascist cunts. On the EU side, we held a referendum for the niece treaty, voted no and were made to vote again because they wanted a yes, the same thing happened with the lisbon treaty

"If voting changed anything, they make illegal"

Yeah, it gives me the feeling to have done something useful, even though I clearly haven't.

>Do you really think anything would be different if gore won? Seriously, I'm asking you.
what was the iraq war

Do you think the Iraq war mattered, like, at all?

it did to iraqis and to my veteran coworker who is afflicted with PTSD actually.

anyway, whatever. you're probably the kind of person who uses the word wagecuck unironically

I've literally never used that word. I get that you want to assume that we'd all be holding hands under a rainbow if Bush hadn't won- but Saddam Hussein was a terrible man- and so were his children. The Iraq war was a flop, but we'd most likely still be in the middle east with Gore. US interests have been in the middle east since the 1960s. The president is only in charge of so much.

it was a personal war, literally a continuation of what george bush sr started (which was, at the time, justified imo). ask yourself, if the war in iraq was outside the president's control, why didn't bill keep us in iraq during his presidency??

OK, so you are aware that the president cannot make bills and congress is what funds wars, yes? The president can only declare war for 90 days.

negotiation is an integral part of policy-making, and the president naturally has an immense amount of soft power and political leverage. do you think obamacare would have been a thing if romney was elected? get real.

Yeah, I bet you're the same kind of person who thinks it makes a fat shit of a difference if Trump or Clinton is in the white house. Or maybe you're campaigning for a third party like those retarded Sander's supporters.

The government has been bought and sold and it's almost offensive that you think your vote matters.

You know, in Athens, the first democracy ever, the thing they had that was closest to a parliament was not elected by vote, but by lot (meaning randomly). Anybody* who was interested in being part of the democracy could sign up, then 500 of those people would be drawn randomly. They thought elections were undemocratic:

> The use of a lottery to select officeholders was regarded as the most democratic means: elections would favour those who were rich, noble, eloquent and well-known, while allotment spread the work of administration throughout the whole citizen body, engaging them in the crucial democratic experience of, to use Aristotle's words, "ruling and being ruled in turn" (Politics 1317b28–30). The allotment of an individual was based on citizenship rather than merit or any form of personal popularity which could be bought. Allotment therefore was seen as a means to prevent the corrupt purchase of votes and it gave citizens a unique form of political equality as all had an equal chance of obtaining government office.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy

* the standard athens criteria apply here, meaning only men, non-slaves and people who lived in athens since like 3 generations were part of the democracy.

youtube.com/watch?v=NpiqX6ouM-8

Of course I vote some countries aren't lucky enough to get the choice I don't take any of liberties for granted.

>no matter which candidate you think is better, you're wrong
yes you made that point already

didn't get the chance in 2012 and later 2014 to vote cuz too young
tho i'm excited for 2018 cuz ill be able to

>turn of age
>vote to leave EU
>we vote to leave the EU

brety based

They are mandatory here

>commies
>elections

In one city in one county of one state.

lmao you couldn't make this shit up:
>Individualism in Athenian democracy
>A good example of the contempt the first democrats felt for those who did not participate in politics can be found in the modern word 'idiot', which finds its origins in the ancient Greek word ἰδιώτης, idiōtēs, meaning a private person, a person who is not actively interested in politics;[56] such characters were talked about with contempt, and the word eventually acquired its modern meaning. According to Thucydides, Pericles may have declared in a funeral oration:
> We do not say that a man who takes no interest in politics is a man who minds his own business; we say that he has no business here at all.

And it'll be ignored by the half of the country that disagrees.

Sparking a massive civil war and the takeover by islamists of half the country.