What are your favourite fdroid apps?

What are your favourite fdroid apps?

I need a good alternative to Google Maps, I'm in the process of degoogling. I don't really like OSMAnd or whatever that's called. Any alternatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/adhell
f-droid.org/packages/org.redcross.openmapkit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Acastus?

I type in an address and nothing happens. It only just shows where I currently am.

My problem with OSMand was that I couldn't input an actually address, it'd only let me search for a street.

I was told recently, that GPS doesn't work without Google Play services. You may want to investigate that.

That's savage. I've still got Google play services right now but I'll look into that, cheers. I'm running Lineage

you should try microg instead, but there are a few hoops to jump through for lineage I think

Something about spoofing something, but people got it working by using something called Magisk

look into that

You do have a search backend installed, right?

If not install NominatimNlpBackend

Oh, okay, shit I didn't realize I needed that. I'll give it another try.

So I installed that, but it still won't let me search anything more specific than a road, can't do "123 Fake St", only "Fake St".

And sorry, was trying this on OSM

i just want a good weather app

Bamp

Try pale moon

Just install Yalp, its a mirror to download APKs from the Play Store if you don't have GApps. Theres a FOSS maps app on the play store that also uses OpenStreetMap called Maps.me

Where's a known safe site to download Yalp?

I usually just step outside

f-droid

Lol, cheers

This one won't pull addresses either

Ffs that sucks, is there any other nav app out there where you can type an actual address?

Welcome to the garbage that is freeware. It wont ever do what it promises and using it will make your life objectively worse.

Fuck off Goolag, I'm not buying it

TomTom navigation app is pretty good

Can you do addresses?

KISS Launcher (the most important)
Lightning Web Browser
NewPipe
Night Screen

that's wrong, gps works fine without any google stuff installed

osmand at least can do that, there's just some places with missing house numbers

I tried like 10 different address in major American cities and no dice. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

i always end up on osmand, literally everything else is expensive or too trash to even bother

Once you select street in search, it will allow you to search and pick building by number.

ConnectBot, cSploit, Fennec F-Droid, Hacker's Keyboard, K-9 Mail, LibreTorrent, Orbot, Telegram-FOSS, Xmp Mod Player, Yalp Store
my phone is full of open source software

Yeah for sure, but when I type in a number it'll say not found.

Have you downloaded full local maps (not streets only)?
Both "123 Street" and "Street 123" work for me.

>Hacker's Keyboard
try anysoftkeyboard, its fucking amazing, actually works both for normal typing and terminal stuff
>LibreTorrent
try transdroid

there's very few residential houses enteres onto OSM in my area
i've been adding some myself, if you're not aware, OSM works kind of like wikipedia, anyone can make an account and edit/submit changes to the maps, which, if accepted, will make their way into the maps used by osmand

I have

This is enlightening, I guess I'll have to contribute

here's an example of what you should see, to tell if numbers are missing or not where you're looking
note: building visibility requires full maps, and with building visibility enabled, picture is the default openstreetmap.org tiles

it's also easier than you might think to add a house
just login, click 'edit', make an area selection, find 'house' in the list of types, then fill in details like the house number

But Google Maps is freeware.

No, it's adware.

>anysoftkeyboard
I use that one too. For me it's way better than hacker's keyboard. Still, would be nice if a few buttons could be removed, or if you could resize them.

What music player apps do you guys use?
Currently I have installed Phonograph, but that one isn't from fdroid. To get updates I would have to use google play store, and I would like to avoid that.
A minimalistic player would be nice. No need for too fancy stuff.

Thanks a lot dude. If the issue is just a need of contribution then I'm happy to add in.

First, use yalp store for updates.

Second, try Vanilla music

Is there way to uninstall gapps without factory resetting the phone? Also, if so, does uninstall all the apps you downloaded through it?

MAPS.ME is the best Google Maps alternative you can get - it's also offline.

Is there a working adblocker for non-root ?
I just got an S8 and holy shit I miss my Adaway

Thanks, will look into vanilla music. I think I used this one or with a similiar name on ubuntu.

>Is there way to uninstall gapps without factory resetting the phone?
gapps is installed into /system, so you only need to install a rom which doesn't come with gapps
>does uninstall all the apps you downloaded through it?
no, but they might stop working

Brave has a built in ad blocker

Yeah use AdHell. It's Samsung only, works w/o root and without a VPN or shit like that so it's totally passive.

You could also try red Moon

Thanks, but github.com/adhell seems empty and it's not on the play store anymore.

f-droid.org/packages/org.redcross.openmapkit/
This app can apparently view openstreetmaps if you want. I don't have any android device at the moment, so I can't check it myself.

Good luck with escaping from the Goolag, it's a good thing you're doing it as well. They should see a drop in their userbase after what they did.

Use the one built into your phone.

Adaway
Clover
KDE connect
Simple mobile tools shit

>i just want a good weather app

Forecastie

I highly recommend APKUpdater if you guys want to keep your apps up to date without Google Play.

>>Hacker's Keyboard
>try anysoftkeyboard

Both of those are still not as good as AOSP Keyboard.

>What music player apps do you guys use?

I just use VLC. The current beta is even better for music.

>What music player apps do you guys use?
Shuttle. Got it through Yalp - it claims to depend on GSF but you can run it fine without it.

Is the KISS launcher better than the one that comes with LineageOS?

youre a legend bro thnx for this.

Try putting the number and name in different order and try writing street fake str 123. Don't ask me why, it worked in Spain when I visited.

Weather M8, change provider to WU or foreca or whatever else works best for you.

Here Maps or DNS66 and there also was another one I can't remember.

Started using Vanilla Music. Coming from Rocket Player.

Pretty impressed with it, probably going to use it for a while.

This is actually really helpful. Thanks user

>Weather M8
Looks like it has ads. Got anything better?

Doesn't cover apps built against API v25+, I have yet to find one that can handle them

According to Yalp Store, Here We Go (formerly HERE Maps) and Maps.me depend on Google Services.

Does it let me tell it which folder my music's in, or will it try and scan my whole phone like a spastic?

Adaway

It lets you pick which folders to ignore while scanning, so you just tell it to ignore everything but your music folder.

So yeah, it lets you.

Cause thats the logical order.

no