Linux failed miserably

Nobody besides 2% of the world population uses it. Not even the most technology enthusiasts, the japanese, or the koreans uses it.

To count servers as a sucess is worthless because servers aren't real, high-demanding power users, companies switched because Linux is cheaper.

Let's check the facts, Android had on the last time it was researched, twice the number of vulnerabilities of FLASH. Seriously, why would anyone that isn't a hobbyist or poor use it?

here we go ANOTHER fucking flamewar

>japanese
>technology enthusiasts
They're still running Windows XP.

Linux is shit, but not because of your points. Except maybe the vulnerabilites part because of the sheer bloatedness of Linux

They know what's good.

DESIGNATED EVANGELISM

with a tiny bit of MOPPING UP

to achieve the FINAL VICTORY

>technology enthusiasts, the japanese, or the koreans
Stopped reading there.

Go fuck yourself fucking underage faggot.

You only hate it because you can't play "muh games" on it.

I use Windows too at home, but at work I use Linux (Mint, a functional distro, not autistic shit for manchild neets aka Arch and Gentoo), and I would not change it for anything.

It would be literally retarded to use Windows for development or servers unless you are using .NET

Why they do it?

Japan society is like an autistic kid, they are difficult to embrace change, everything new is uncomfortable and makes them panic.

They pay for most shit with cash, they don't use debit or credit cards.

You know you're using it right now to do this post right?
Linux indeed is a failure as a desktop OS, but everything else. EVERYTHING ELSE uses it.

Cash is better though.

>EVERYTHING ELSE uses it.
No, banks and other systemic institutions use a real fukken unix implementation, not this hodgepodge bullshit with a community that still can't get its act together on basic things like GRFX past 1992.

desktop is windows territory always has been

Another obvious bait thread
holy fuck, mods do you fucking job, or all of you are fucking sellouts?

>Nobody besides 2% of the world population uses it
>7,000,000,000 x 0.02
>nobody beside 140,000,000 people use it

x86,win32 compatible windows territory.
It's funny how microsoft, intel etc think they're in charge, but as soon they try to do something different, they're brutally reminded that they're not.

>To count servers as a sucess is worthless because servers aren't real, high-demanding power users, companies switched because Linux is cheaper.
>servers aren't real, high-demanding power users
Get a load of this guy.

GNU and Linux are licensed so that nobody can stop them even if they tried. They just keep getting more popular as the "my grandkid set up my VCR" generation dies off.

Windows is popular on laptop/desktop ONLY because:
- Faster became idiot proof
- laptops and desktops usually are sold with windows
- everyones (most likely) first computer experience started with windows (which follows to next point)
- your grandpa, parents or other tech illiterate persons are afraid of anything but windows
- gaymers exist
- Linux isn't for tech illiterates who can't google.

I, actually, are thankfull for windows. It sieves idiots from using Linux. That's why we're elitist club, mostly tech litterate people are using Linux, all idiots sticking to windows/macOS.

Also, to your stupid arguement that no one uses linux. Say that to:
- servers (ignoring this is retarded)
- mainframes and supercomputers (no sane person would run windows on these)
- embbeded systems (windows can't compete)
- smartphones (windows phone is a kek)

>get back to work!
yes, r-right away mr noseberg..

Ok.

>if that were true you wouldn't be able to run MS-DOS on intel skylake yet you perfectly can
Someone has actually installed MS-DOS on a Skylake processor? This I have to see.

I have been looking but I can't find it.

I can only assume this is misinformation.

Installed it on a sandy bridge.
It runs a dumb loops that strains one core 100%.

Keyboard inputs were shit tier at 4.9GHz.

>>Someone has actually installed MS-DOS on a Skylake processor? This I have to see.
Go do it. Every x86 processor still starts up and executes its first instructions in real mode, with 16-bit registers and 20-bit addressing of up to 1MB of memory, just like 8088s did in 1981. None of the modern stuff activates until you flip the processor into protected (32-bit) or long (64-bit) mode. The main obstacle you face is the modern motherboards don't have a floppy interface.

Go fuck yourself, nigger.

'Market' share for a product that doesn't cost anything to install.

android

>Nobody besides the people that clearly uses it, use it.
Well no shit sherlock

Because I like it more than paying through the nose for a Mac or submitting to the orwellian nightmare that is Microsoft.

when will wincucks learn.

>the japanese
Nice joke. Real world is not your average cyberpunk movie.

t. desktop babby

Haha, Linux either dominates or literally owns:

Servers
Cloud
Mobile
Supercomputers
Embedded
IoT
Practically every computer cluster in existance
VFX including all 3d animated movies from companies like Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks

The only are it does not dominate is that of the desktop, which is the area where the users on average are absolutely clueless.

I wish gaymers and mactoddlers were banned here.

I've never seen any of those things while on a college campus. Are you making stuff up?

i think it's time to filter "linux" on Sup Forums

> The only are it does not dominate is that of the desktop, which is the area where the users on average are absolutely clueless.

Don't you think that's mobile?

>To count servers as a sucess is worthless because servers aren't real

This is a soundbite but I'm putting it here to accurately reflect the OP.

Like, it does make a shitty desktop but its success as a server OS and mobile OS are quite valid.

Source?

It doesn't matter that most don't use it, man. I don't need it to "win" anything.

All that matters is that it's a nice operating system that works for me, and I like using it.

>Biggest server and mobile OS
>Failed

Sure buddy, only 60% of smartphone users use Linux what a failure.
It is actually used where the future lies, mobile and cloud memes.

que?

nigga almost the whole internet runs on linux and unix systems

>Sure buddy, only 60% of smartphone users use Linux what a failure.
And 90% of the desktop world use Windows.
Alll that shows is what sheep they are. Blindly following what everybody else does.

why are you spamming these threads ?

>Servers aren't real

How can servers be real if our hypervisors are not real?

x86/amd64 is a toy compared to real hardware like IBM's mainframes. Where with x86_64 machines you will rarely see more than 256 GB of RAM in a single server, it's the minimum amount of memory for z14, and this RAM is in "RAID". The machines have up to 24 10-core 5.2GHz processors, and 32 TB of RAM.
So yeah, x86 servers are far from high-demand power user servers. As a hobbyist I have a x86 server with 12-core CPU and 64 GB RAM. You can have a PC this powerful for few thousands. It's still a toy in server world.

fuck off

What does that have to do with Linux?

No one on your college campus uses the internet, cloud services, or Android phones? Are you sure about that? Like absolutely positive?

Let's check the facts, Android had on the last time it was researched, twice the number of vulnerabilities of FLASH.

Thats because a load of Citibank fags thought it was a cool idea to wire-tap the internet with an ARM emulator trying to run x86 instruction set's and build a platform for Spy fags to infect handsets and take control of them using open source and palin-fuck-my-arse-tir running on of all fucking things Microsoft windows, then those fags came along with System fuck me D and now they want to put Switched Access Services into fucking BSD & MacOS.

You mother-fuckers may have no insider trading laws in the US but they sure as fuck have them in the countries your violating with this horse-shit meanwhile you let the little Kike, who's been using his super secret backdoor launder money through mirror trading with a load of very pissed off russians only to get discovered and arse-raped by most of the developers going "WTF do you think your doing!" you can see the guilt on the little bastards face!

>Japanese and Koreans don't use it
Except they do in all scientific institutions and UNIX has been used for decades in Japanese industries
There are plenty of jap companies migrating from Solaris to Linux
T. engineer in Japan

Those jealous goyim.

/thread

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Android is much larger in scope and function than Flash so you can't really compare the numbers in a vacuum

Against monopolies like Microsoft, that is an achievement.
>Not even the most technology enthusiasts, the japanese, or the koreans uses it
Asian tech culture is different from the rest of the world. They still use fax machines, as an example.
The Japanese especially release everything as proprietary because they never had an Stallman advocating for free software.
>To count servers as a sucess is worthless because servers aren't real, high-demanding power users
Servers are critical. If a server goes down, the webpage/services it hosts go down too.
GNU was chosen because it's fairly stable and UNIX-like.
Let's not even mention supercomputers (NASA, CERN, etc.) using GNU distributions to run critical stuff, too.
companies switched because Linux is
>cheaper.
Yes. This is another valid point.
>Let's check the facts, Android had on the last time it was researched, twice the number of vulnerabilities of FLASH.
Android has no GNU libraries on it, so it's not a valid comparison.
>hurr, durr, muh kernel
How many of those vulnerabilities are kernel related? None. Zero.
The only thing Android does right is that userspace can never touch the kernel. All Android vulnerabilities (including Stagefright) come from Android libraries and processes, not the Linux kernel.
>Seriously, why would anyone that isn't a hobbyist or poor use it?
Because you want a stable, secure system.

>2% of the world population uses it.
Are you actually fucking retarded? No, seriously
>2% of the world population
Are you GENUINELY retarded? Did you go to special classes?

>To count servers as a sucess is worthless because servers aren't real

yeah cuz servers are just clouds in the sky user...without servers then we have nothing, what your really saying is end user use is minimal...and thats how we like it

>Nobody besides 2% of the world population uses it.
Only 70 million people ;_;
Why even live?

No it's because old vns run on xp

>To count servers as a sucess is worthless because servers aren't real, high-demanding power users, companies switched because Linux is cheaper.
This person sure seems like they know what they're talking about, let's respond promptly my fellow technology enthusiasts.

What an idiotic meme pic. Well it's Sup Forums so it is to be expected that some autist encompassed all that shit and made it sound like an absolute truth.

Lmao you'd never make in in my beloved Corp pal

How old are you OP? And how comes that you know shit about technology? Please back to /mlp/

Actually we should be clear here, Japan's use of Linux could be much higher than people give credit for, just not in the desktop scene.

Japan is not really that high in desktop/laptop computer usage to begin with, but they have all sorts of routers that'll be running Linux, NAS boxes, servers etc
The K super computer runs on Linux, and Japan has a number of other super computers and building another.

It's not that Japan doesn't use Linux. It's just that, just like everywhere else, desktop Linux is not that common.

> Only 2% of the population uses Solid State Physics (devices themselves don't count as those aren't real, high-demanding power users)
> Therefore solid state physics is a failure

if you are a tinfoil sycophant maybe, but normal people use debit or credit. It's more convenient and safer.

are you 12? have you just discovered linux or something? this is like the 8th thread we've had on this topic today

Up until Windows 10 and the whole Linux subsystem thing Linux or OS X were much better for my workflow. Even with the changes Microsoft made I don't see a reason to move back. My x220 running Ubuntu J U S T W E R K S.

>servers aren't real