So is it shit or not?

I'm building a new rig and when I heard about i9 I was fucking psyched, but after seeing some threads and articles about it, its being called a joke and waste of money- I'm completely confused as to whats the problem with this chip

Is all this hate because people expected this to be the perfect gaming cpu or some other stupid reason like that?

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/D7ZLQV
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdBDsJ
pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-10-core-Skylake-X-Processor-Review/Thread-Thread-Latency-and-
ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz
spanishdict.com/translate/sopa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Way too expensive, way too hot. If you're looking for a workstation CPU go for threadripper, if you're looking for a gaming CPU go for a 7700k or 1600.
Similar to the I3 and I5, this CPU has almost no market.

unfortunately, I can't use AMD for this build because it's for a music production rig, so is my only option the enthusiast i7s?

What software are you using?

Pro Tools, Bitwig, and a shitload of VSTs that are huge cpu hogs.
Unfortunately, in order to record at low latency/ buffer rates Im gonna have to use an intel cpu

i9 doesn't seem bad it does trade blows with threadripper, but if latency is your concern then it might be better off to wait for next gen, or get an i9.

Price isnt really a factor, either- It will also be dedicated to production software only.
I was planning on liquid cooling it as well, so is there any major problems with its performance or is the problem mostly because it kinda only caters to a niche market like me?

Then go for the I9, Just get a really good CPU cooler

Liquid cooling is fine, right?

If you're not OCing, yeah

Just an FYI, you're full of shit if you think AMD's Ryzen / Threadripper CPU line isn't suitable for your listed requirements.

Motherboards are way too expensive. Get something else.

The power output, yeah I'm not doubting that - this is entirely about latency
Price is not really a problem for this one
Nope, I need it to be as quiet as possible

dont expect to ever upgrade the cpu or buy a future motherboard.. becasue what is on the market at launch will be the only thing that it will ever work in.
The intel rubickcube of socket + chipset has to line up JUST right inorder to get it to work with anything

I'd still get x99. Just too big risk of cpu/phases overheating even on stock voltage. X99 would also be more quiet.

I do not understand why ryzen can't be used because of latency but still, x99 is nice.

>this is entirely about latency

Again, you're full of shit.

The fuck is this "latency" nonsense? The only thing latent around here is my gayness, not 2017 AMD.

See if you can get a 6950x for 800-900$. not becauseit's cheaper but because it's better

or just get x99 and a xeon cpu

>I was planning on liquid cooling it as well, so is there any major problems with its performance or is the problem mostly because it kinda only caters to a niche market like me?
Honestly you seem like the target market. For latency the i9 wins, so for your use case it's probably the best right now. Supposedly it has higher ipc over threadripper, but TR comes out ahead for MC, but that's negated if you go for the higher end i9's with more cores, and you'll be water cooling, so that should handle temps., and you could even oc a bit which would take care of the low base clocks.
Since you have the money, and the actual use case scenario that would benefit from an i9 I would say go for it. Just my opinion anyways.

>Just an FYI, you're full of shit if you think AMD's Ryzen / Threadripper CPU line isn't suitable for your listed requirements.
Why? OP needs a low latency solution for music production.

Is latency your code word for single threaded performance? What latency are you talking about? Core to core communication latency? Memory access latency? Instruction latency (lol because modern CPUs are superscaler and can exec out of order)?

What in the hell are you talking about.

Less features than AMD's high end platform. Truly high core count skus are still unavailable. Has no frequency advantage when all cores are in use. IPC edge is there, but for the price of a 18 core i9 you could buy a 1950X, a 1080Ti, and a custom CPU watercooling loop. Will consume less energy and be subject to less heat per unit performance.

I'm talking about something that threadripper can't accomplish unless you work on a single ccx, so shoo shill shoo.

Your life? It's shit, no doubt.

Again, until you actually substantiate your accusations you're full of shit.

Again op's use case would benefit more from the i9. If I wanted to attach my personal opinions for op I would suggest for op to use ubuntu studio, and make use of the included low latency kernel, but I did not attach my emotions to my post. So can you tell me why the threadripper is a better buy for op's use case without any of your faggot emotions getting in the way, or is threadripper just better, because you feel that it is?

I don't give a fuck about TR vs i9, I want to know what your (((latency))) meme is you faggot.

he probably means audio latency that relies on single thread performance

I asked if that's what they meant and got called a shill Why can't SOPA posters answer a simple question?

>latency meme
>audio production
Nigger you don't know enough to be interjecting on this subject.

lmao at this latency garbage

Wtf, intel has better latency?
I hate amd now

>Wtf, intel has better latency?
Yes
>I hate amd now
why? Do you need low latency?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're either a time traveller from 2011 or have been misled by someone in your classes.

Sure. I'll give you the benefit of a doubt, and just pretend that you aren't forcing a bad alternative for some sort of compensation.

Yes, i9 series are shit, lack of L2 Cache showed to be real issue for Intels current arch.

Again, until you explain your latency meme you're full of shit.

>high end CPU
>audio production

This has to be bait

No, but I want only the best!

>LATANCY LATANCY
>What latency??
>LATANCY LATANCY
Please, explain to a person what do you mean by latency, you see computers have many inherent latencies, what exact latency is the problem with AMD CPUs?

Well, then you want to stay away from Intel, it's inner core latency is horrendous compared to AMD and with introduction of Mesh it's worse than AMD's IF.
Oh and, 7700k letancy is not comparable to i9 CPUs

This. AMD's intra CCX CCT is ~40ns, inter CCX CCT is 110ns compared to Intel i9's 105ns over all cores.

i7 7700k actually probably is the strongest CPU with extremely low latency (cache) imo.

Wait a month for 8th gen.

that post so just so wrong on so many levels
i guess my ryzen must be better than other ryzens..

I could use my pentium, but it doesn't mean that it's the best choice.

>ryzen is bad for content creation

Leave

There's no such thing as low latency when you're loading 16 cores, be it Intel or AMD.

You're too deep in jewish plots to buy a superior processor.
That's fine, waste your money.

Even if you want to do hackintosh you can use Ryzen, retard.
Unless you believe that Intel somehow "sounds better"

Yesterday I had high latency in World of Warcraft, should I buy an i9 as well?

How much is jewtel paying you to start this shitty fucking love-in for their crap CPUs?

"Latency issues"? Get fucked.

all things considered it is pretty much shit, yeah

What is it with normies thinking that their "special" use case requires the most expensive CPU available?

Fuck off OP

You can use the best cooler on earth but it will still overheat since it's not soldered. You can go buy one if you are fine with load temps hovering around 80-90C

>when I heard about i9 I was fucking psyched

good goy

i9 is the fucking king of latency, though you're kind of memeing everyone in the thread with your latency spiel
not sure why you would be needing all these cores, but a 6core coffee lake might be for you, OP
otherwise just get a coffee lake i3 and overclock it to the high heavens

King of latency? Core to core is over 90ns

That's what he's saying; it's the king of high latency. It's CTC is over 100ns.

You could seriously get away with using a regular 4c i7 if you bussed your shit proper. People professionally do what you're talking about with ancient macbooks and iMacs with less than half the power of any 8c Ryzen. Also what the hell is your recording process if you're having issues with a million VST's during "live recording"? Do you really do tracking with full sound processing? If so you should really be looking at either going partially outboard or just picking up a UA solution. If you're thinking the rest of the world goes from tracking>production>mixing all with the same latency setup without external hardware or a UAD you're crazy since it's not even close to a hassle to change settings anymore.

Pic sums it up for you

Seriously though, I wouldn't feel safe with one in my house.

Its a music production thing brah, more VST's used at once = longer processing times = music signal latency

I don't know. "Media people" generated a lot of hate against i9, AMD spent a fuckton of money on negative campaign....
But then it also became top seller CPU in all the nearby countries (including mine), and local reviews all praise it.

Then again it costs a pretty penny, so if you have the money, go for it, I guess? But it won't be that much more powerful.
I would go with the 7700K or the next one if you just building, it's right around the corner. 8700K. Though it will be only 10-15% powerful. But if you are just building, don't see why not buy the newer.

I skipped Ryzen too because it has no iGPU. I mean I used quite some computers without an iGPU and let me tell you it FUCKING SUCKS if your GPU dies. Like yeah, "just buy another meanwhile"... fuck you.
tl;dr: 7700K is awesome, 8700K is around the corner, iGPU is fucking godsend.

Uhm, replace that Intel with an AMD Vega, a lot more suitable.
> inb4 muh 700W power consumption and heat output is totally normal
Get the fuck out Rajeesh. Renaming, renaming and more renaming. Then playing the wait game and putting out cards that are totally worthless.

this post is fucking painful to read
please fuck off

> AMD spent a fuckton of money on negative campaign....
Yea, 0 cents is fuckton.
i9 is an abortion because it was forced piece of shit not because AMD had counter promotion

Or are you saying that nVidia is making counter promotion for Vega and not that Vega is just bad?

>Yea, 0 cents is fuckton.
How much time did you spend online during Ryzen's launch and before? Even Sup Forums, the shithole of the internet was swarmed with posts like "OMG ITS THE BEST THING EVER", and it wasn't even out. Linus? Made an hour long feature movie about how bad the i9 is and how great is AMD. That are just two examples but the internet literally exploded with AMD Ryzen4ever posts long before it was even out.

> inb4 if I close my eyes it doesn't exist
Yeah... sure thing bro. All companies have "social posters".

I was one of the people saying that Ryzen is better, you know why? because it fucking IS.
i9 is shit not because of AMD or Linus, it's shit because it fails versus itself. i7-6800k is better than i9 abortions. You have to be literally retarded to think that it's AMDs doing.

People jumped the gun on Ryzen and said it was underwhelming. Everyone said this. Then out come the microcode updates and patches from developers and suddenly people were saying how nice Ryzen is.

Good that you brought up Linus, because he obviously wasn't allowed to talk about certain things when it was time to make a "proper" i9 video. Skiping over the TIM the thermals and powerdraw as if it didn't matter. It was pathetic.

It was shitposted literally for months on Sup Forums and any other site how great it will be. Even though there was 0 benchmarks or info available. Then it came out, "best thing since sliced bread". I mean it's not hard to prove.

Make a thread: "I need the strongest single thread CPU, what do I buy??"
5 seconds later: "Buy Ryzen OP, it's the best CPU. Some shitposters will say 7700K but it's all lies, Ryzen is the best ever made."

I am not even kidding. Wish this was fucking satire, but this is the state of Sup Forums and the internet forums in 2017.

>Intel Shills really wanna buy sth like this
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/D7ZLQV

>AMD Faggots save a whole PC buying Ryzen
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdBDsJ

Just to make it clear. Buying Intel is not really recommandable at this point.
AMD's Ryzen use less power, heat up less, are better at multithreaded tasks(like content creation), are cheaper and are compatible with higher RAM-Clocks.

But ist okay, stick to Intel if want to throw away money.

>stop recommending things that are better
>buy Intel because I say so
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

UMA

Remember that devs coded for single thread because it was easier and Intel cpus had good enough ipc for it. Now that 6+ cores will be the standard they will have to code everything to multi threaded performance. In a few years you won't be able to do shit on 4 cores.

>I skipped Ryzen too because it has no iGPU

Talks only about the Intel K-models....guess what, with no iGPU

And yet ryzen continues to be the no-brainer CPU to buy. There's no reason to buy a 7700k unless you play nothing but dwarf fortress.

What the fuck are you talking about? There's universal agreement that the 7700k is king of single thread and the best choice for high end gaming. What people have been saying is that this is unlikely to remain true going forward, so for people who don't upgrade often, a Ryzen chip is probably the better buy despite the 7700k being better at this time. People have to make that decision on their own based on how much money they want to spend on their computer over a period of years and not just what they want RIGHT NOW.

You're a child. That's the problem here. Fuck off to Call of Duty or whatever it is you do with your gaymen PC

No one said that ryzen was bad. Just that intel in this case is the better option.
You can barely write in English.
You're too deep in mental retardation. That's fine be a retard.
>normies
you're plebbit is showing, get lost chump.
>muh how dare someone suggest an i9
Poojeets raided this thread hard. Stocks are probably under performing again.

>you're plebbit is showing
His English is better than yours. That much is apparent.

>Just that intel in this case is the better option.
certainly not lavalake-x
pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-10-core-Skylake-X-Processor-Review/Thread-Thread-Latency-and-

>His English is better than yours. That much is apparent.
It's not a matter of opinion.
>certainly not lavalake-x
For OP's scenario the i9 is the better choice.
Cry about it elsewhere faggot.

fuck this thread is hilarious. good job intel marketing interns

AMD has fans, and they are enthusiasts who passionately care about other people's cpu choice.

>every time someone mentions a brand for a second on Sup Forums they are a shill

SOPA

i dont really care what your motivation is for posting this nonsense. it was an entertaining read and a welcome change to that faggot that just spouts his shitty all-cap flames.

Nigga whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

> IntelĀ® HD Graphics 630
> inb4 the Intel Ark page is lying

Sir you are very much brazil emplyee of intel.

> gets proven wrong
> br shitpost (in broken English)

Get the fuck out.

Sweety my english is very good please do not be nasty boy. Based Threadripped is more powerful for half the cost of intel. Why do you sell intel when you know this to be true?

Threadripper has nothing to do with the 7700K. It's not even the same market.
And also, it has no iGPU either.

Threadripper = i9.
Epyc = Xeon Platinum (and other new series).

It's not exactly rocket science.

>For OP's scenario the i9 is the better choice
>higher core to core latencies than previous intel CPUs
Were those graphs too complicated for you betthyno?

>higher core to core latencies than previous intel CPUs
Lower latencies than threadripper.

literally false

Sir threadripper is over a different league. Please do not overstate the power of an i7. You have been btfo all over this forum, and now you lie.
For you all there is to say is UMA DELICA

is this supposed to be funposting?

>Then you're just spreading false information, or are just going to compare the i9s slowest latencies to a threadripper's fastest single die latencies while being completely vague about that fact.

SOPA

Soup?
spanishdict.com/translate/sopa