I thought RMS was supposed to be an idol here, why does everybody make fun of him?

I thought RMS was supposed to be an idol here, why does everybody make fun of him?

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html
gallir.wordpress.com/2011/10/29/un-viaje-con-richard-stallman-esa-persona/
youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg
gog.com/
theregister.co.uk/2012/06/12/stallman_laptop_stolen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

rms is like the /out/ banner

The internet is not a monolithic nexus, you idiot.

did rms just cut down that sequoia tree

so why have RMS as the mascot if 99% of people shit on him?

Because they're botnet-supporting bullies who don't even care about they're own freedoms :C

Cause he goes autistic if he sees something without source code being available for it. Not everyone has to share their source and give it out for free, you aren't entitled to shit. RMS feels different though

everybody makes fun of him.

It's the nicest thing he deserves.

People don't understand him and his mission.
They echo things other anons here have said without looking up anything themselves.

The beautiful thing about poisoning the biases of a group is that you only need to do it once, and then the group believes your opinions forever.

He needed a place to use his laptop.

he a dumbass

pic related

Stallman isn't for bullying, this is a no bully board.

>source code
This is what the open source "movement" has done to Stallman's vision. It's no longer about freedom, it's about "access" to the source code because, well, idk, "open source" said so?

>Lemote laptop
>literary shit tier
Why do people on Sup Forums like ThinkPads again? Shouldn't the autistic freetards all use what RMS uses?

That's sad. Can't he just scream louder?

He uses a libreboot thinkpad now, last I checked.

maybe he does not, he didn't a (little over a) year ago
but thinkpad general already was a thing the whole time he used the limeshitop

His throat would get sore, so he outsources that to the people of /g./
He has plenty of material on GNU's website explaining that it's about freedom, not "source code for the sake of source code", but people already hear "open source," and that's what people get.

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

>I use a Thinkpad X60 computer, in which the FSF installed a free initialization program (libreboot) and a free operating system (Trisquel GNU/Linux.) This is the first computer model ever to be sold commercially with a free initialization program and a free operating system, and thus the first computer product the FSF could endorse. (It was not sold that way by Lenovo, however.)

>Before that, I used the Lemote Yeeloong for several years. At the time, it was the only laptop one could buy that could run a free initialization program and a free operating system. But it was never sold with a free operating system.

so? is true

>rmswifi.jpg
He mostly answes emails in such situations, so he won't need internet access at all times.

we're worshiping pussy not a freetard

Because he's a fucking meme just like install Gentoo

he uses a minifree.org libreboot thinkpad.

Because the Sup Forums of today is inhabited by ignoble peasants who know naught of freedom.

Read about Stallman and GNU from the sources themselves and you will quickly come to respect the man.

Because he has done great things and he is human. He has helped change the world of tech by being one of the early trend setters on the idea of FOSS/FOSH. He also goes around autisticly screeching about open source at times and eats shit from his foot. It's a good thing to humanize idols as hero worship leads to stagnation and echo chambers.

Or if all of that was too complicated for you to understand as you even asking the above question would suggest. You are allowed to like some aspects of people and make fun of their silly parts.

holy shit I almost shot milk out my nose
send help

THIS!

>Not pick dead skin off your feet and eating it.

>Open source
You mean free software
gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

As for the question in the related pic, rms does not connect to the internet 24/7 as the rest of the fags here. Only connects to internet at his place when he needs to send the mails he already wrote or commit some code or publish articles already written.
So no you will never find rms on a wifi

>commit some code
He hasent activly programmed since the 90's

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds

he's an autist

but he's OUR autist

>gif
why

youtube has vp8 all you have to do is ffmpeg cut -c copy

autistic commie pedophile

live him or hate him he is a character. characters open themselves to jokes.

since 2008 to be exact. He still worked on some projects sparsely during the early 00's.

People care about the cause not the man.

He's retarded. It's a board about technology, not politics.

stallman changed the world. he lived a principled life. he traveled the world. he generously gave his fortune (mcarthur grant) to found the fsf.

to call him a pedo on a degenerate anime board. to call him autistic and hateful on a angry board. he's none of these things. he's done more to change the world than anyone in this thread.

Heh, seems I hit a nerve. I'll be honest I have never looked to deep into his life and philosophy outside of his Wikipedia, memes, and the odd clip of him. So I can't I disagree with you as he is as irrelevant as you say. Only thing I'll say in my defense is I never claimed he has done anything of note recently only that he was an early trend setter and I imagine my position is the norm among people here so it still answers OP's question.

Thanks for the rich and informative responses instead of just calling me a faggot though. I'll probably look more into his life now.

I'm lazy and it was the first result that popped up? It was good enough to serve my point? I didn't know that gif posting was a meme now?

I dunno, pick one.

I wonder if the gotek firmware is open sores.

He uses a thinkpad with libreboot. I'd really like to see him use a macbook with libreboot instead, but I think he wont use any CPU past nehalem.

hes actually pretty nice. ask him via email if you can call him and chat.

Because of a massive influx of idiots. Sup Forums is (or used to be) the default board for some Sup Forums app. Ever since it's not been the same. Now threads are filled with posters who just don't care about privacy and freedom.

He downloads all emails, read and answers them and next time he's online he sends them.

You don't know what Sup Forums memes are, do you?

I haven't seen that pasta for a while, thanks!

That was only done recently, its a joke, moron.

Why do you fucking keep pushing politics in then when nobody has asked? The people who say "hurr it's tech not politics" are usually the ones who do that.

what has gotek to do with this?

how new are you?

I've been here all summer I think I know more about memes than you ever will

>why does everybody make fun of him?- 56 posts and 6 image replies shown.
He's an autistic insane manchild. He's a caricature. Guy's so fucking dumb.

But most of Sup Forums's anons are

>A friend once asked me to watch a video with her that she was going to display on her computer using Netflix. I declined, saying that Netflix streaming was such an affront to freedom that I could not be party to its use under any circumstances whatsoever.

>tfw Stallman refused "netflix&chill" in the name of freedom
he's an example to follow.

I've seen Stallman wearing the same sort of shirt Umiko is, what are they called?

Because he's a shortsighted self-shill with a limiting, neolithic ideology.

GREEN IS MY PEPPER

How is Netflix streaming against freedoms? Do movies have to be open source...sorry, I mean FREE too?

If it's Netflix the client, how does he think an open source version would work?

tunic

DRM is against freedom.

Fuck off pedo

What's the alternative? FREE as in beer entertainment?

>open source version
There is no such thing, and legally there can be no such thing.
>What's the alternative?
Not treating paying customers like potential thieves, for one.

>using laptop on a fucking tree that has fallen over
>using laptop in literal garbage
Why? What does he do that is so important that he has to use his computer in these awkward places? Is it just so he can post #lolimsuchanerd pictures on whatever choice of social platform he uses?

>Not treating paying customers like potential thieves, for one.
But they literally are, how stupid would someone be to think that without DRM even little Timmy wouldn't copy and share that floppy

He's offline, replying to emails or writing articles
managing the free world

Do you go to a movie theater and demand a dvd copy of the movie you just watched?
Its not yours to take faggot, you didnt create it and you have no entitlement to it

Free as in freedom, that's what RMS fight's for.

I'm not saying that you should follow he's example literally and simply stop watching Netflix and using anything proprietary, but he does that to prove a point.
And after the wikileaks, we can say that he's right.

If noone speaks up against DRM and proprietary stuff, given the time, everything will be a botnet.

RMS sacrifices his life to defend our future.
Pic related, source here: gallir.wordpress.com/2011/10/29/un-viaje-con-richard-stallman-esa-persona/

I really admire him for that.

>Do you go to a movie theater and demand a dvd copy of the movie you just watched?
Nobody demands that, theaters are a one time thing. Some people still record them with a camera, flaved point.

>Its not yours to take faggot, you didnt create it and you have no entitlement to it
So magically all people would be good? What kind of retarded thinking is that.
People copied VHS, they did so with DVDs, they do it with Blu Rays. Without DRM isn't stopping anything, but without it, it would be even easier.

I'm really confused here, are you, as a person, seriously thinking that people wouldn't illegally share or distribute more if it was even easier? There is no alternative to DRM.

That really doesn't seem urgent enough to dump your laptop in a dumpster.

his* example.

Shit.

>But they literally are
There is a moral obligation to pay for media. Take away the DRM, and most people wouldn't even notice, let alone attempt to make an illegal copy.

>I was face to face with Stallman's chiseled abs

Except there is not. Most people won't care but a big portion will just use the newly gained advantage.

You're probably to young to remember VHS and DVDs.
All the people I knew made copies of rentals for themselves, not because they where smart, but that it was just very easy to do.

look around him. that dumpster is the perfect platform for his laptop. he's just using what's around him.

as far as getting on the computer in nature... you have no room to talk as I know intuitively you are a faggy little smart phone carrying nigger.

so what's your point?

because noone here ever managed to do something even remotely useful for the world unlike him, and he is a fat autistic neckbeard like most of Sup Forums so it's like looking at a mirror of how you could have ended up but you didn't because you are even more worthless than a fat guy eating shit from his foot

>recently
wat

So, to you, the best option is to treat the actual costumers as if they were thieves, to the point that sometimes, the guy that pirates your product have a better experience with it than the ones who paid for it?

>Except there is not.
Yes, there is. Everyone I talk to these days thinks piracy is literal theft, probably thanks to marketing by big media. No one even tries to find where Netflix downloads videos to when they're downloaded, like how people would for Youtube a decade ago.

>You're probably to [sic] young to remember back when DRM wasn't the norm and there wasn't a huge push by big media to normalise DRM as part of the law

subtle

Welcome to neo-Sup Forums

Again, what's the alternative option? Everything to be free? Nobody can make money out of anything anymore?
It's either that or DRM, there's no middle ground, the easier you make your investment of time and money to be sharable easily, the more it will and the less you will gain from your work.

Sup Forums is free and makes money.

QED I win. you lose. You're a nigger. I'm king. Fuck yeah. gimme dem (You)s you fucking butthurt fag.

See youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg

So movies, music, games and programs should be crowdfunded too?

Wait...do you want (You)'s or actual discussion? You seemed to be confused yourself.

>Sup Forums is free and makes money.
Actually, their finances were fucked for a long time.
I'm not sure that even their new "sponsored links" thing is bringing a profit.

>what's the alternative option?
gog.com/ offers DRM-free games for sale. They have been around since 2008, or 9 years ago. If people didn't buy DRM-free things, this site would no longer exist.
Therefor:
People still buy DRM-free things.
Enough people still buy DRM-free things for websites such as this to profit for 9 years.
If you sell things without DRM, you will still make money.

>Everything to be free?

I think you're missing the point.
Free as in freedom is different from free as in beer.

The wrong point here is not charging for something, is constructing a walled garden so that people that actually pays for it isn't even able to do what they want with it.

Pirating will exist, with or without DRM, why make the life of those who pay for your product more miserable?
People pay for convenience, invest in that.

Have you ever heard about gog.com?
No DRM at all on the AAA games sold there.
And they are only expanding.

They stole from him that laptop on the picture, so he switched to ThinkPad X60.

theregister.co.uk/2012/06/12/stallman_laptop_stolen/

DRM isnt a bad thing.
Having control of how YOUR media is presented is fine.
You arent entitled to source code or rights or anything else just because someone else produced it. They have the right to do what they please with THEIR material. And there is not a god damn thing you can say that will change otherwise.Your bullshit 'BUT I EXIST SO I MUST GET 100% ACCESS TO EVERYTHING" nonsense will never get you anywhere and you're the laughing stock of the industry

GOG releases are the mostly pirated ones though. Look it up.
GOG mostly releases old, as in parent company gone bankrupt games also. They make pure profit having invested almost nothing.

>Actually, their finances were fucked for a long time.
because some faggot kid was running the joint.

and he was still traveling all around the world and flying first class and eating high class food.

>Pirating will exist, with or without DRM, why make the life of those who pay for your product more miserable?
The people who don't care about pirating won't care about that DRM being there either. Even when it makes things worse for them, the same way like they don't know they could pirate it and make it easier/cheaper.

Free as in Freedom products will only make the quality of the product suffer.

>Have you ever heard about gog.com?
See

but rms is an idol to us, only retarded Sup Forumstards and underaged Sup Forumsirgins constantly come here, shit up the board and make fun of him