/pcbg/ - PC Building General - Intel Barbeque edition

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zHrVNN
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/q4mg6X
newscientist.com/article/2145355-ai-uses-bitcoin-trail-to-find-and-help-sex-trafficking-victims/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Tj9G8K
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/CZmg6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/RQWbJV
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw GTX1080 arrives tomorrow

what 1440p 60 hz monitor should i get? no freesync unless it's a negligible price difference

does threadripper have a psp or equivalent?

which ryzen motherboard has good sound for my hd600?

She lives!
Thanks for the help lads, you've been great!
Again.

Literally every non-gsync monitor is freesync these days. Can't go wrong with LG or Benq as long as you go IPS.

POO

Much, much worse I'm afraid.

shave the moustache friendo

You look more t*rk than slav desu

poorfag here
should i upgrade my GPU or RAM first?
my ram is 4GB and GPU GT 740
i can buy 16GB or 1050TI first.

Is Gsync worth the price premium?
Don't think I can get an AMD card anytime soon.

russian women were fucked by turks and mongols
they are one people now

We are asiatic people.

>intel barbeque
>powermac.jpeg

pretty sure your cpu is shit too, so gpu, and then buy cpu+mobo+ram. buying ddr3 would be stupid.

This better?
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/zHrVNN

>that paint will chip in his food
>aluminum bad for health
>too little meat
>that's not how you cut a steak
You call that tech?

thanks..i guess i had to eat noodles for that cpu+mobo+ram combo. [spoiler]im still using ddr3 mobo and ram and i3[/spoiler]

SSD would be pretty useful desu

lel, forgot about adding one into that. Just been chopping and changing it so.

Looks great other than that. I'm jelly.

So my dad told me he likes my desktop and wants to build something similar. I have a riced out gaymen setup and he likes the rgb and clear side panel. He only uses a PC for web browsing but says he likes the look of a full tower.

I'm thinking of getting him an i5 and a cheap z/b270 board with a little rgb in addition to a TG side panel case and a flashy aio cooler (the two things he says are a must).

Only going with a locked i5 because he does not need a separate graphics card. Thoughts or suggestions?

Ideal budget is about $1k

>i5

should i go with a ryzen 3 or a g4560 for my budget build?

Then what do you suggest as an alternative with igpu for web browsing/netflix only

What do you plan to do with the build, do you have a GPU already in mind?

From the OP
G4560

ryzen 3. you have a better upgrade path, and the pentium is pretty limited even compared to an r3 1200. and you can overclock the ryzen very easily.

they're gonna tell you to buy a ryzen chip with a gpu. i bet you $5

For 1k, you might as well get an I7 K, and do some mild overclocking.
Get a decent amount of ram, and the fastest storage you can. Old people like things to just work when they click on it, so the faster you can make it, the better.

Which PSU does /pcbg/ recommend?

Yeah but
>netflix

I just want to play some games in 1080p. Maybe a GTX 1060 6GB.

$15 PSU.

what about it?

>shitzen
hahahaha

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/q4mg6X
tfw RX 580 8GB is still cheaper than the GTX 1060 3GB here

SOPA

I have not bought a new HDD in 7 years, now I need a new 2TB disk. What's hot shit nowadays?

Seagate Barracuda

samefag here, anything i should change?
meant to type that before, but i'm multitasking here

You sure that's not the one that breaks after a week?

Store fucked my G.skill RipjawsV Black 2x4GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel order up so they are offering me now a Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel cmd8gx4m2b3200c16 wich isn't on the b350 pro4 QVL but somehow the 3000mhz cl 15 version is ,does this mean that mine will work at it's normal speed?

I should work. Nice upgrade though. It should work no problem since that uses the Samsung B-die that Ryzen loves!

You're in a really tight spot, a g4560 and gtx 1060 would work okay, but make no mistake there would be bottlenecking now that will only get worse fast as time goes on. You could step down to a g4560 and 1050ti, and it would do some current 1080p gaming, but would have no real upgrade path. Maybe you could upgrade the g4560 with a used 7th gen processor later on, but new chips wouldn't be compatible with any MB you have. You could go with a R3 which would be a bit more expensive than the 4560, but is only slightly better at gaming right now. Even if you go with the Ryzen you would still have to upgrade it about the same time a 1060 would start to show age. The saving grace is that you could upgrade your CPU with the next gen of Ryzen on the same MB.
My advice would be to try and same that little extra to get an R5, even if you have to pair it with a 1050ti for now to save a few bucks on a 1060. Not a bad idea considering the 1060 price range is more than it should be. Then you'll have a solid processor that will last a while, and still have an option to upgrade years down the line. The CPU will have more life than the GPU, so when the 1050ti becomes too poor to keep up you can easily bump that out with something else, and the rest of the system will still be okay.

I need to clean out my dusty as fuck and I was wondering what brand of compressed air I should buy to clean it out. Or does it not matter? I'm just scared if damaging it

Need some case fans for a Fractal Design Define R5. Is there a tier list of case fans I can look at or any infodumps I can parse through to make it easier? Anything will help.

*dusty as fuck computer

if you're going to overclock, you could just get the 1200.

Why is the EVGA Supernova 650W G2 model more expensive than the G3 model?
Am i not right in the assumption that G3 is strictly better than G2?

1200 here is just 25 euro cheaper, no its a no brainer

buy static pressure fans for case fans
noctuas aren't a meme if you want top tier performance but basically any 140mm won't be that far behind

just buy intel because you were dumb enough to buy sennshit, then you can burn your house down and rid yourself from the gene pool

it's literally the same if you're going to oc though.

Is there anything airflow fans are actually better for than static pressure? It feels like static pressure is what everyone says you should have on everything.

i bought a 1080 g1 gaming
how fucked am i

What mouses /pcbg/ recommends for gayming? I have never bought one over 10 dollars before so any budget you think is right will do.

newscientist.com/article/2145355-ai-uses-bitcoin-trail-to-find-and-help-sex-trafficking-victims/

Hah.

Prolly not as fucked as I am. It's arriving tomorrow.

g403

I would like advice on this build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Tj9G8K

Budget: about $4000

Purpose: tactical support AI research. Will run GNU/Linux. Mainly intended as a replacement for a computer cluster, because uhhhhh we can't get access to our typical one because of military issues.

I really want something where I can run a bunch of different simulations or processes, which is what the threadripper is for. Hoping to run sun grid engine so I can submit and run jobs on this thing.

Now this is going to sound really funny, but I might really need to run a bunch of instances of first person shooters, but with minimal to no graphics.(I wish I was joking here)

Two nvidia graphics cards, because MUH DEEP LEARNING, and google's TPU isn't out yet. Also, for GPU computing, or helping with running multiple instances of FPSes. NVMe SSD because fast disk read and write really benefits us. I may run some sims that will spit out gigabytes of data that need to be logged fast.

Questions:
Do I really need watercooling for threadripper? Is there a cheaper more professional looking case(with lots of space) I can use? I've heard Vega can directly access NVMe devices, can these nvidia cards do the same? Is it worth considering Vega for compute, or is vega complete shit?

Pic related is sort of what we're hoping to build

Static fans are technically better at their job than airflow, but airflow fans have a harder time pushing against hot air for intake reasons. The difference isn't large, but typically the difference in prices for airflow and static fans aren't large either.
They would be good for exhaust fans for this reason. Just keep in mind, the more fans you slap in your case, the less of a return you'll see from them.

water-cooled threadripper is useless, you'll reach the peak of stability before you hit the peak temperature with an air cooler

I have 2, they're OK but don't reach crazy OC like 2100+ MHz, at least mine don't. No coil whine or anything like that.

Moving from alaska back down to the states. Having trouble trying to figure out what to do with computer. Thinking about packing mobo, gpu, and power and selling tower but they don't sell the tower I used to have.

Used to have a corsair 550d. Give me a replacement tower. I dont need any goddamn lights or windows.

for 500 britbux i thought it was a decent price during the cryptocuckery era

Okay that makes sense, thanks for clearing it up. To be sure, a good theoretical setup would be to have a pair of static intakes and an airflow exhaust, correct?

Here i fixed it

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/CZmg6X

>Moving from alaska back down to the states.
Just don't bring any firearms you may have with you thru Canada unless you want your ass reamed, it's happened before.

>To be sure, a good theoretical setup would be to have a pair of static intakes and an airflow exhaust, correct?
I usually have 2 exhaust for good measure, but I've always been a retard and bought restrictive cases.
Crossing my benis in hopes for a solid panel meshify c in the future

I guess that sounds OK, I got mine when they first became available and I'm not keeping a close eye on prices since I'm not looking to upgrade, don't live in the UK either.

I was just keeping positive air pressure in mind, don't want dust being sucked in every last crevice. Good to know I was on the right track though.

>A320

Here's the pc i built 5 months ago, never thought i'd become a walking meme

pcpartpicker.com/list/RQWbJV

Anything wrong with ASUS VS248HR?

It's not a IPS

The brand for compressed air doesn't matter, but I would recommend looking into electric dusters. I got mine for 50$ on amazon and have used it plenty. Plus you don't have to worry about tipping it the wrong way and getting liquid all over your shit.

Go to a yard sale and buy an electric leaf blower. $10 free air for ever.

I prefer the 23" LG 75 Hz IPS, bout a tenner cheaper too.

Which of the following would Sup Forums recommend and why?

XF270HU for €520 (1440p144Hz)
AG271QG for €685 (same with Gsync)
34UM88 for €570 (1440p ultrawide, but 60 Hz)

My current computer has an A10 5800k and a GTX 460. I'm building a new rig but I am not sure if I want to go with an R5 1600 + GTX 1070 or an R7 + GTX 1060. Which would last me longer before needing an upgrade to get more gaming performance? I've had my current build for a long time now and I'd rather not have to relive the nightmare of getting

Forgot to mention, GPU is 1080

Ultrawide is a meme unless you are going super ultra wide.

XB271HU

I got a XF270HU, its one of the best 1440p panels on the market

About €740, is it worth the extra 220 euros over non-gsync version?

Just bought the LG 24GM79G and then I realized that I have literally no idea how to setup a monitor correctly.

How do I adjust gamma, brightness and colour settings without fucking up?

MSI Krait / ASRock Killer SLI/ac or ASUS Prime PRo?

Just put something that doesn't fuck up your eyes?

For gaming, 1600 and 1070. Unless Arma is very different to usual games resources wise.

So there is no basic set up guide? You just have to experiment for each game what setting would be the best?
Lame af, my man

Should I prefer the ASUS VC239H?

>unless you are going super ultra wide
>super ultra wide
what

anyone here know about insydeh20 BIOS?

34" and above

There is no reason to go 1440p and not get 144+ htz.

Is it something nice to have? Yes.
Is it worth it? Not at 220 euros.

In that case I agree. Got my LG 34" ultrawide IPS last week and shit's so fucking cash.