/retro/ - a bit dusty

Welcome to /retro/! Share anything you find old and share what you personally own.

I found some neat stuff at the junk shop today, an ASUS 486 board in its original box and a bunch of SyQuest stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

hw.speccy.cz/melodik2.html
homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know much about SyQuest, if anyone does, I'm interested in learning more about it.

Looks to be a tape drive system, my tapes look to have been used in a Mac, the last tape is dated for 1999

Nice

Theres always cool stuff there, if I had more cash to spend on dumb old computer shit, I would fill my truck with floppies

Checked out this Epson another user was interested in last time I posted this place, had to move a 60 pound filing cabinet full of 5.25" disks, but sadly its corroded very extensively, if I had my screwdriver with me I would've opened it up to see the parts inside, but from the rust all over the back and on the card ports its all probably toast

I think those were magneto-optical, not tape. It's basically like a cross between an HDD platter and a CD. Records magnetically but with optics to position the heads more precisely than the stepper motor of a floppy drive can - so you can increase the capacity. People quit bothering with that concept as soon as CD-RW and then USB mass storage became a thing around the turn of the millennium, but in the early to mid 90s things like this were what anyone who needed to carry around more than a couple floppies worth of shit usually used.

Iomega dabbled in this kind of thing too, thats what the Zip drive came out of.

Speccy guts + ay-3-8912 soundcard I built

Voodoo SLI is the best SLI.

how the hell do you use those pci slots? You would need a huge ass card for it to go all the way to the back of the case.

Son, that's VESA Local Bus.

so don't you still need to access the ports from the back of the case?

how would that reach all the way across the isa slots to the back?

Yesterday I got called out for not posting metal cassettes, and then called out for not posting ferrics, so here are some colourful ones.

You're joking, right?

Look at the card, and look at OP's image.

VESA slots are additons to ISA slots for cards that use the VESA utilities, one card takes the entire ISA slot + the VESA extension. They arent PCI and a PCI card wont fit

Oh and heres the box
Its a bit faded and needed some tape, but its cool to have the box at all. It came in a static bag on foam.
Also has a 33mhz 486, and 280k of cache chips on board. The board seems to support up to Pentium MMX so I might deck it out for the lols

Only damage seems to be that someone couldn't figure out how to remove the battery and bent the retention arm contact, but that's a 2 second fix with some pliers.

Does any of you know about a compact cassette module for 5.25" or 3.5" bays?

>had one of these as a kid
>learned it inside and out
>wish I still had it today cause now I know how to program it

they're not tapes, they're platters, SyQuest drives are just normal hard disks with removable platters, they were pretty common with Macs and somewhat with PCs around that period, never saw them used much with other platforms though, even if they'd probably be just fine for them
nah, magneto-optical and Zip are entirely different technologies, Iomega's answer was the Jaz

just realized this is not in fact the original box, the box is for a socket 7 something
ill dig the board out again later and see what it actually is, im intrigued

>TX
>486
>VLB
Yeah, that's the wrong box, probably what that board was swapped out for. Might support a Pentium Overdrive though if you really want to go that way.

Didn't have auto-update turned on while posting, whatever.

either way, it was cheap and i really have just always wanted one of those 486 chips, something about purple ceramic and gold...

What is this thread and what do we do here?

We talk about old technology. Back when computers were exciting and unique.

I got an old PC for free yesterday. It has a Gainward 5VPA Socket 7 motherboard and Windows 98 installed on an 8GB HDD. Don't know any other specs yet.
The case has a 486 sticker on it, so it was probably a 486 build that was upgraded to a Pentium. When I got it I was hoping it would be a 486, but turns out it isn't. Oh well.

>280k of cache chips
sure it's not 256?

You need to learn how to use your camera. I don't mean to be rude to you, but there's no excuse to be taking photos that look like this unless your camera was made before 2005 or something.

the 9th chip is just a buffer of sorts, it's actually 8x32k chips (256k cache) + 1 32k chip

suck my COCK dude, I just took those pics really quickly when I was about to go to work, I didn't have time to check them in detail

not him, but that's not an excuse, you can take perfectly fine pictures in a hurry also
no need to be a dickhead about it

Fuck you, pic related
Its an LG k10 with a shit camera, and my hands are really shaky. My apologies user

I bet you just assembled a kit

>Slot 1
That's a 100MHz bus board, isn't it?

>VESA slots are additons to ISA slots for cards that use the VESA utilities, one card takes the entire ISA slot + the VESA extension. They arent PCI and a PCI card wont fit
What are you talking about.
VLB has nothing to do with VBE.
They are VLB slots not just "VESA" slots, yes they are a standard made by VESA, called VESA Local Bus.

It's basically a ISA bus with an additional 16 bit wight bus, making it a true 32bit wight bus before PCI.

FUCK OFF!

>kit
Nobody produces sound card kits for the speccy though. To be honest I found the website of a guy who reverse engineered an old AY based sound card and he had gerber files. I bought the parts and ordered the PCB, it's not like I said that I designed it.

No need to get assmad, I just asked because I saw printing on the PCB.

>No need to get assmad
That wasn't me

yeah theres some user being a fag in the thread
hence
when

Autism is one hell of a drug. By the way I forgot to post a link to that site in case there are any other fellow spectrum fags here.
hw.speccy.cz/melodik2.html

hey guys, does anyone know how to boot thinkpad s30 from usb/compactflash? these are my only options since it doesnt have an optical drive, and i dont have the external floppy

If it's bios doesn't support booting from those you can use plop boot manager.

That's cool, thanks!
Sorry for calling you assmad, someone's being a dildohead.

Not shitting on you my man, I'll take a 486 over some boring socket 7 whitebox shit any day of the week, stuff's not getting any younger.

thanks a lot, i will report back if i succeed

I have a problem with this retro machine. It consists of a SY-6BA+ with 4 RAM modules "Micron" 256mb 133Mhz ECC giving a total of 1gb (the maximum supported by the motherboard) but only recognizes 128mb per module giving a total of 512mb. Suggestions?

>tfw decently configured Ultra 60s were languishing at $200-$250 all last year on eBay and now that I have money to throw at one everything's like $500-$700
Just let me escape Ultra 5/10 hell already

i installed tinycore on it without problems
thank you kind user

you have a syquest sq5110. they're double the capacity of the 44MB sq555

they were iomega's competitors
bernoulli sq's
zip ez135
jaz sparq

I have that Titan cooler.
Not necessarily, pretty sure you could run 133MHz Pentium IIIs in these, after all the guy has a slocket in action on the photo.

Isn't the 9th chip for ECC?

>you could run 133MHz Pentium IIIs in these
I'm not talking about the PIII chip, I'm talking about the motherboard's bus.
Only 3rd party chipsets had 133 buses on Slot 1 boards, they weren't common at all.

yeah, buffer of sorts was a bad explanation, it's just for the data cache for ECC

I know you meant FSB, I was also talking about FSB (there was no 133MHz PIII anyway).

Its true that Intel chipsets might have not supported 133MHz FSB officially on Slot 1.

I had SY-6VBA mobo which was not Intel, but VIA Apollo Pro 133. And that did have official support for 133MHz FSB unless my memory is completely shit.

is that a Soyo board?

What is the best AGP video card that has good compatibility with Windows 98?

Geforce TNT2
Geforce4 MX

I think I had Radeon 9200se on W98se, so 8500 and the related cards should work on it too.

This pos has started working for more or less the first time ever. There's an issue with either the hard drive or controller, but this is the first time it's bean running in god knows how long. I hope to have the complete 5150 setup sometime this winter. I've got a 5151 monitor, but that needs repair too.

I was already thinking about Geforce Ti4200 but I read conflicting reports about Geforce 5 and Geforce 6 cards. GF5 and 6 are probably a bad idea in Win98 right?

GF5 has hardware support for DX9 if that means anything to you

I know 7800 GS works perfectly and without compatibility issues with the latest official Nvidia driver that supports Win98 when you add it's hardware ID to the driver.
I think there's only one Radeon card that's better.

bumping because no retro makes me sad

I saw pic related (except it's a different model) at a Salvation Army today. First time I got to try buckling springs.

Got this stuff on my desk at work. I like to peek at it from time to time.

I can't be assed to go take pics of the shit I have stored in the garage, but I've got an old 80386 build (with serial mouse and sound card!) running Win 3.1 for workgroups on it. I also have some old Osborne suitcase computer ("laptop") with a monochrome orange screen.

The old days of tech were amazing. Things were so much simpler.

Lovely.

you should take better care of it
bent pins and all

Not too /retro/, I know it is nothing special but I got this old Dell, it was sitting in a moderately exposed garage for about a decade. Inside it is still pretty clean but the back, the I/O area is all rusty. It works, but doesn't sound nice. It boots into Windows 2000 but it blue-screens after a bit of anything.

My question is, does anyone know a good way to get rust off the backside of it?

Eyy I got one of those, vinegar works well. Of course proper rust remover + a scrubby sponge also works

sanding sponge then clear coat it, thats the ez way, if you dont care about longevity that much, then just the sanding sponge on its own is fine

use a non oxygenated liquid to rinse off the rust, alcohol or optimally WD-40, since its good on rust on its own and helps prevent it

Yes it is (but since that's not an intel motherboard you can set FSB to 133 and machine will work just fine).
Asus P3B-F
>Suggestions?
440bx won't work properly with high density SDRAM modules.
Yes machine will boot, but you will got only half of RAM.
Here's a nice FAQ:
homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html
Also, lovely rig.

>mfw sane Sup Forumsentoomen actually exist
No problem fellow retro anons

Why late 90s-very early 00s GUI looks so comfy?

There wasn't so many pixels on the screen, so everything needed to do its job in the best way.
There wasn't enormous amounts of computer power to waste away on fancy jumping and flickering buttons.

You mean early 90's to late 90's.

Oh man, I'm sucker for 90s mac. Too bad I'm eastern europoor and there's no chance I can get one.

>Too bad I'm eastern europoor
Me too!

>and there's no chance I can get one.
Just keep your eyes open and move your butt from time to time if there's a change you might find one.
This one was on sale locally for almost a year for 300€ and nobody had asked the seller, I just had a nice chat with the seller and payed less then 1/3th of the price in the end.

Some of the PCI PowerPC accelerators for Macintoshes also work in Amigas

bump

Oh noes, this

Nice

pfft faggets.

still supporting infrastructure with supersparc 10/20's, ultra 2's and 486's

wut

Got any reto battlestaion pics? (not just pics of old computers but contemporary pics of rooms / desks set up to use them)

Get that bomb out of here.

I love that boot manager, the starfield animation is awesome

If casemodding an old alarm clock gets you scholarships to top tier universities, a ton of free stuff, and meeting the president of the united states, I wonder what building that can get you.

>If casemodding an old alarm clock
topkek

>diode logic

Nice