W10

All memes aside, the silent majority of Sup Forums and the not so silent uses Windows 10 as their main OS.
Even if it's not your main you definatly have some version of Windows installed just in case for Gaming, Editing or anything else.
So instead of everyone being a bunch of cunts and spamming Gentoo and Linux memes, how about we try our best to share ways on how to make Windows 10 less of a spying bloatware mess?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/
bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/
itproportal.com/news/mac-malware-hits-new-high-in-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

install LTSB

>on how to make Windows 10 less of a spying bloatware mess?
Install MacOS

I boot Windows only to update firmware for my laptop.

What part of "Gaming" didn't you get?

fpbp

just upgraded

Late feature updates are a buzzkill though.

feature updates like automatically installing unwanted programs? that's exactly why I went LTSB.

reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6bpfjw/guide_to_make_a_perfect_windows_10_iso/

>the silent majority of Sup Forums and the not so silent uses Windows 10 as their main OS
No they don't.

>Even if it's not your main you definatly have some version of Windows installed just in case for Gaming, Editing or anything else.
No I don't.

No matter how hard you shill this Pajeetware I'm not going to install it on anything ever. I just bought a new laptop and immediately wiped it without booting into Winshit even once. I also run a small computer repair shop and I install Linux Mint on all of my second hand machines and I don't install Pajeetdows unless they specifically ask for it and pay $100 extra. I also make it very clear to them that Windows 10 logs all of their personal information and even sends screenshots back to Micropenis. I also offer a month of free in-store or phone support for Linux Mint and tell the Winpoo users to call Microsoft. Your OS is the worst I've ever seen and I consider it a disservice to install it on the machines of my customers.

The thing I hate about Windows is that its just poorly designed. Aside from all of the 'botnet' cons, it just isn't cohesive at all. E.g., everything done in Control Panel still, but Control Panel isn't tied to the Settings menu that the UI directs you towards. I use Windows 10 at work and even behind a WSUS it still reboots every now and then on its own.

Anyway OP, this isn't the response you were looking for but just my two pesos.

>he cares wether shit os 10 is a botnet or not
why? it runs in a VM for when i have the need for gaming and that's it for all it matters they can spy all they want to what game i am currently playing because that's the only thing that happens there.

how effective is that practice in getting people to use linux? and how many people are willing to pay 100 bucks extra?

Grab it from Microsofts official site. DO NOT activate it using KMS. You are trying to escape the American botnet by... joining the Russian botnet? Yeah, nah.
Go to eBay and search Windows LTSB key, price is like 15 dollars but if you are like you can get it for 12.
Do not use any anti-win10 saying tools, that shit breaks the OS. 99% of people complaining they have issues with windows 10 is because they install that crap. If needed, install a Ubuntu on a secondary partition for "muh privacy" stuff like checking your bank account and leave w10 for games.

use powershell to remove most of the unnecessary shit on w10

Considering that most people just use laptops for basic text editing, office suites, and web browsing it's very effective. I install WPS Office and Chromium on them and I get very few complaints. Maybe 1 in 10 people pays the $100 and I get Windows license keys for $10-20 a piece in bulk orders of 5-10, so I make a considerable amount off of that.

Unironically install a distribution of Linux. The literal adware that is the Windows operating system can't be changed. If you care about not having an operating system that is spyware, learn Linux. It's not that hard.

Don't linux distros have a shit battery life tho?

Nope. Most laptops get the same or better battery life with GNU/Linux. Recent kernel updates within the last year or so have brought massive improvements in that area.

Yes. Although after configuring everything then it is comparable to Windows.

This is just false.

Since I only use W10 for gaming on a separate computer and switch said computer/reinstall quite often I just disable everything I can during installation and leave it at that. Works for me.

>configuring everything
What exactly? Shouldn't distros auto-configure themselves during installation?

Doesn't work. Everything comes back after a big update. Stop playing with powershell and breaking the OS.

They don't because linuxautists bitch and whine when they do about distros taking away their freedoms. So linux is pretty much just a web machine on the desktop out of the box (which at that point might as well go macos and get a nice experience to boot), or you have to spend your precious time customizing it.

It doesn't take too long to "spend my precious time customizing it.". I'd rather have to spend a day or two configuring my OS than have an operating system that is locked down.

>This is just false.
No it isn't. Chromebooks and stuff run Linux and one of their selling points is the battery life. Same with Android phones which use the Linux kernel.

>Same with Android phones
Really bad example when they're fucking abysmal at battery life.
Chromebooks are great at battery life because they aren't actually doing anything with the hardware. Linux doesn't take the credit for that.

No there's tools you can install to get really good battery life.

Powertop
Laptop-mode-tools
cpufreqd

>Really bad example when they're fucking abysmal at battery life.
My Nexus 5 with Lineage OS gets weeks of standby. Don't confuse Google Play services with the Linux kernel.
>Chromebooks are great at battery life because they aren't actually doing anything with the hardware.
Chromebooks run Gentoo. The hardware is generally under powered because they just run a web browser. Most people only use this on Windows and other Linux laptops anyways. If you want to do intensive work on a laptop then you should sit down and plug it in or just buy a desktop.
>Linux doesn't take the credit for that.
Chromebooks run Linux. Not an argument.

I use Windows out of necessity not because I like it. Also how the fuck do you game on a virtual machine? What about instabilities and incompatibilities?

It's not 20th century anymore. A VM acts like a completely stable OS on separate hardware and with KVM you get only an up to 10% performance loss.

bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/

>Gaming

Why not just use Windows 7 then? What does Windows 10 do better in the gaming department? No one even uses DirectX 12 and Microsoft's store is a load of shit compared to other distribution services.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

>Even if it's not your main you definatly have some version of Windows installed just in case for Gaming, Editing or anything else.

funny you say that. it was windows 10 that made me switch completely to linux. i'm not joking. i'm balls deep into linux, and it has nothing to do with bundled spyware shit, but the performance of the system in general is terrible. you see, with windows 10 you're running 200 background processes that take up to 2400 threads. this is not a joke, you can check that up in task manager. meanwhile manjaro runs on 85 threads, of which 1 (FUCKING ONE) is active while I type this. have you tried compiling android app while there are 2400 threads of microsoft spyware shit running? no? didn't think so. what takes a minute and a half in windows 10 takes less than 15 seconds in manjaro. even common tasks like copying a lot of small files on a flash drive takes forever because windows defender has to check all the files if they have some sort of malware on therm. you don't get that shit on linux so compared to win it's superfast.

fuck windows man and fuck video games. if video games were any fucking good these days i'd buy a system for them already, i just don't care anymore. i game in wine, dosbox and native linux ports now. if it's not on linux then i don't care, the game does not exist for me. there are plenty games already to choose from. at least that one thing about valve is worth a fuck these days, bringing games to linux

Same here desu

Where do you buy the codes for that? I saw an user say you can get em for 15/20 bucks

if you live in the EU you can get legit keys on ebay (EU law protects re-sale of software).

> how to make Windows 10 less of a spying bloatware mess?

That is a sisyphean curse and not something to do recreationally. You basically can't... When you do then Microsoft likely know the steps you took due to the (((telemetry))) and they will fix the "security problem" on the next update and then you have to invent some new way.

Install Linux if you don't want to be spied on. Using Windows and still want to not be spied on is like using a boat without wanting to be on the water. Being spied on is a fundamental part of windows

does any of that work on the pro version?

You can't set the telemetry level to Security.
I don't know if there are any other settings that don't work.

Change your windows product key to NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 (enterprise kms key) and activate with microsoft toolkit / kmspico.
You don't need to reinstall.

That doesn't work at all.

Could someone in us buy an EU codes and activate?

Pasta but relevant:
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

eh I don't update often and it only takes about a minute for stuff I don't really need.

Why are American consumers so cucked?

oops, one small fix to the image.

>My Nexus 5 with Lineage OS
Not an argument. I don't give a fuck if your iphone never needed a charge, statistically irrelevant.
>If you want to do intensive work on a laptop
Do you realize how stupid this argument is? Battery life matters because of linux, but hold up if you actually want to do things that impact the battery you should look elsewhere!
Fucking linuxfags, utterly inbred.

Sounds like a retards business plan to me. Are you a retard?

because the purpose of their existence is to consume. there's nothing beyond that

Lmao.
Nope. Not even once.

you can buy any code but no law protects you from M$ shutting you down because of their terms of services.

I don't get this meme. What the fuck are you trying to play on your computer? Dad Dating Simulator? Hunie Pop? A PC port of a 10-year-old console game? PC has no good games.

I do not have Windows on anything I own. Most things are GNU/Linux, mostly Arch with a bit of Void thrown in. I've got OpenBSD on one machine.

Because we don't let third world religious extremists pour into our country unchecked, let them commit a terrorist attack every other month and have our gov'ts do nothing about it afterwards

Install windows 7 bro

>definatly
go home, pajeet

Wher can you buy windows keys for really cheap?

I still don't get why should anyone use windows 10. It's a bloated unusable spyware. Microsoft is going full retard so why should we stop "linux memes"?

>pay for windows and do nothing to disable telemetry
Go shill somewhere else.

this. I couldn't stand a bloated system with mandatory updates. Microsoft is becaming a huge piece of shit.

Reality check
worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/violence/by-country/

Should I really give a shit if Microshit spies on me if I'm average joe? My main concern is performance issues, and I'm still on Windows 7 cause I didn't like the spying aspect. But it's come to the point now where I'm deciding whether to upgrade again. Should I?

Why bother? Just set your wallpaper as your dick and call it a day. Better shit to do.

if seven is working why would you upgrade it? 10 has a lot of shitty processes runing and I've never had such bad performance in a windows machine. Also mandatory updates are cancer.

>how about we try our best to share ways on how to make Windows 10 less of a spying bloatware mess?
Yeah, you literally can't do that. lmao

I use an offline tower with Xp to do encrypted iPhone backups. That's it.

Well I sure as fuck don't. Also, what's wrong with using Windows 7?

is this b8? what features could you possibly want

>Also mandatory updates are cancer.
Why? Windows is for normalfags and normalfags cannot be trusted to install updates, which is why almost every single large malware outbreak in the last 15 years has happened. The biggest ones all used exploits that had been patched weeks or months before the malware appeared, yet they still manage to wreak total havoc because people are retards and think they don't need updates. If you aren't a total brainlet and actually install updates in a timely manner, you won't even notice the forced updates so it's not a problem for you.

>b-b-but b-botnet u-updates
Windows itself is botnet, you're not going to be "less botnet" just because you block a few updates, you're just inviting your computer to join some Russian bitcoin miner botnet instead.

you're more likely to die from a coworker going postal in america than you are to die from a terrorist attack anywhere in western europe

umm hunie pop is good
it also runs in macOS

Linux kernel for one.

unironically install 7 instead. there is currently not a single good reason to use 10. not fucking one reason.

>not running notepad on wine on wsl on windows 10

>spelling usual activities capitalized like some advertiser

What if I play overwatch, how can I not use Windows

Stop playing garbage.

and this is why I'm sticking with Windows

Get a PS4 for under 180 used and play it on that.

>this is why I use windows
Why? Insecure? Or because of your bad taste in games?
Tell blizzard to develop for Linux then. It's not like they can't. But they're literal jews and their games haven't been good for a decade.

Agreed. The last game that I played by them and had any fun with was Diablo 2.

Windows 10 works without keys.

Why? Leafpad is just as good as notepad.

Actually no OP I don't have a Windows installed at all. But lately I've been getting into emulation and I'm tempted to go back because hackintosh isn't that amazing at it and for some stupid reason I can't even use the mGBA core on Arch properly. There is no denying that Windows will still, for a while, be the best OS at gaming.

However in any other aspects both macOS and linux are just better overall.

Also W8.1 still exists and still has support, and it's not dated enough.

/thread

I have legitimately never even touched Win10. I was going to install Linux Mint onto some ~100 laptop for a coworker's daughter, and that had windows 10.

But when I went to boot up the laptop, the hard drive was dead, and there were indicators of other hardware problems.

>PC has no good games.

you must not be a fan of grand strategy or 4x gaymes.

fucking crusader knights II has owned my sould for years now.

Just did a search on it. Do you mean Crusader Kings II, by chance?

Gaming + Mac is getting more viruses each day, Malwarebytes confirmed. itproportal.com/news/mac-malware-hits-new-high-in-2017/

And Apple is known for bundling government spyware in the US (just as Microsoft), not sure about the EU.

You have to know where to look, but as a macOS user I wouldn't recommend even using this system for games. It's terrible. On a machine capable of running Deus Ex Mankind Divided at a decent framerate / settings you will not have a good experience with the half assed port of Human Revolution in macOS.

It's even worse because when you go online for some support you get much less, based on the fact that you're not using "the OS that has most games". Linux users seem to others like "whiners" because some faggot invented the "no tux no bux" thing, and there's constant prejudice against macOS users.

install [spoiler]win7[/spoiler]

I really don't care about botnet since I only use it for games. The main problem is the data usage and system rebooting when you don't want. You can't even reboot your system without those "muh preparing updates" that takes forever. Even on windows 8.1 you can disable it. 10 went full retarded and only belongs to normies who deserve to suffer.

It's terrible.
I refuse to use it.

1 computer with windows 7 for games.

1 computer with linux for internet.