Linux should grow out of GNU

That's the cause of the disapointing situation where Linux is these days, GNU never came with something useful or superior to commercial alternatives, their philosophy is very impractical and the people behind it lacks actual technical knowledge.

When people ask me why all Linux OSes look like toys, hobbyistic malfunctioning systems bloated and overcomplicated, I can't defend Linux, because they are right.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxhaters.blogspot.rs/2012/07/your-free-software-website-for-dummies.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

GNU is the collectivist cancer killing Linux, every sector Linux is dominant or in a good position (server, embedded, mobile), the only area where Linux is under performing is on the desktop, coincidentally this is where GNU has more influence over the development.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Gnu is dominant in all of Enterprise. Hence why all servers, super computers, etc. Use gnu/Linux and not shit like bsd.
Gnu/Linux suffers on the desktop because there is no profit in it. When there is profit (say like chrome is which uses gnu utilities) it works fine and people like it.

You are fucking retarded.

Not an argument. Why is he "a fucking retard"?

>people behind it lacks actual technical knowledge

What a shame that the Linux kernel is really simple to make modules for. Even a hell world programmer could program something better.

What a shame that Linux is used more on the Internet than any other "commercial alternative".

the free software philosophy is correct, but GNU software suffers from severe feature creep.

You're an idiot. GNU+Linux is minor share on desktop because normies can't computer.

>Not an argument.
Correct.
It's a statement of fact.

GNU is just a bunch of userspace programs that the "muh POSIX compatibility" faggots are used to. They're not part of the OS interface. "Growing out of GNU" is as simple as writing a new userspace on top of Linux. Simple doesn't mean easy though.

The problem with GNU is the weird pseudo-cult surrounding it. It's incredibly offputting to new users.

Linux without gnu works flawlessly on multiple platforms and in servers

Linux with gnu just absolutely doesn't.
We must rid linux of gnu cancer.

All these butthurt micro$oft brainlets. What's the matter wincuck boi, too stupid to use GNU/Linux?

gpl is useful
gcc is useful
automake/autoconf is useful
grub is useful

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>GNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

it is
musl cmake uclib

GNU should grow out of Linux and gets it own kernel. I can't wait to switch to GNU Hurd.

Oh yes, all those Android servers out there

>linuxhaters.blogspot.rs/2012/07/your-free-software-website-for-dummies.html

Really makes ya think

How do you samefag so much and make stats show unique posters?
Are you such a colossal faggot that you're toggling airplane mode on and off every time you phone post?

what is busybox

When people ask you questions like that, why is it you feel the need to respond?

Hurd will never be finished
pic related

Utilities based on gnu and licensed under the gpl

what is sarcasm

>licensed under GPL
>LOL THAT SOFTWARE IS PART OF GNU

It already is.
I've been using my distro without any GNU in it for ages.

>Utilities based on gnu
by that standard GNU = UNIX... oh wait
> and licensed under the gpl
we're talking about GNU here, not the GPL

>early 90's
>ms-dos
>not mac os
>not amigaos
>not some unix
>not early linux
kek

You can already run your Linux distro 100% free of GNU software.

>missing the point

Hi poettering, how are you doing with your cancer systemd?

systemd only works with GNU, retard.

>gpl is useful
>gcc is useful
>grub is useful

can't argue with that

>automake/autoconf is useful
can't we just start writing test suites outselves like real man?

so you patch linux kernel just to be able to compile it with clang, build userspace against musl with varying degrees of success, build libcxx + libcxxabi and hope nothing breaks?

Thanks for making the point here.
Yes you're a fucking retard, and I'm not even willing to give a real argument to counter the shit that has come from your mind here.
GNU is primary to the majority of linux systems, even in embedded situation. There is plenty of distributions and they are not especially impractical, but impractical for you or your friends. There is a lot of flavor, choose the one for you. There is not a 'one' flavor you're forced to use, and that is the difficulty : people choose to not make the choice most of the time.
GNU philosophy is great, there has to be people supporting free software, even if it's not achievable now. It's the way to go. Democracy hasn't pierced in one day, it's a long fight (today again against aristocracy)
Free software developers and especially GNU and FSF ones don't lack actual technical knowledges, they probably know more than any standard employees could ever dream of. They lacks money, popularity, they lack time. That's it. Work accomplished on Linux environments until today is huge but you don't seem to comprehend it.
A piece of free software is able to compete and do a lot of things better than proprietary ones, if that's not all : running Photoshop here is not a point, if the software had been compiled for Linux it wild work. This is just a mix of lobbying, laziness and marketing thinking.

Only thing I hate about GNU is that I'm forced to use GCC because the linux kernel demands it.

Can I ask the issue with GCC? I'm interested? Do you prefer clang? And why? And why you could not use GCC for compiling the kernel and clang (or another) for other software?

Why is he eating a hot dog when he should be eating more shit he dug off his foot

You have to use GCC because the kernel requires special extensions and optimizations from the compiler. There have been some efforts to make it possible to compile with clang, but it's still being worked on.

That's GNU slash GNU/Linux.

this pic disturbs me

Yeah, let's just get rid of all the binary compatibility libraries that everything fucking runs on. BRILLIANT!

>using proprietary software

OP is a systemd microshill

sure showed him!

summer's almost over, you better start packing school supplies, kid

Same fag who was posting about how Linux is dead yesterday.

As for GNU, just GCC is enough to make the whole idea worthwhile, and not just for Linux, the BSD's would have gotten nowhere, even Apple would be nowhere had they not been able to (ab)use GCC.

And of course the state of the Linux desktop has practically nothing to do with GNU, other than linking to glibc. GNU provide the core tools for making a system an operating system when coupled with the Linux kernel, a fucking desktop environment or even a gui is not even remotely a prerequisite for a functioning OS.

99.9% of all Linux distros, be them commercial or hobbyist, rely on the GNU core tools including GCC.

>but it never became something useful

fucking retard

You don't use glibc then?

>There have been some efforts to make it possible to compile with clang, but it's still being worked on.

Never going to happen as the project has been at a stalemate for years.

The reason is that the Linux kernel developers are using compiler extensions added to GCC, by request from said kernel developers.

Clang refuses to add these extensions, Linux kernel devs refuses to stop using them, hence you will need to patch the kernel to compile using Clang/LLVM.

GNU software is well respected and is considered reliable by individuals and enterprise alike. Bash, gcc, GnuPG just to name a few.

A lot of proprietary OSs compared to GNU/Linux distributions look malfunctioning, bloated and complicated.

kek

Underageb&ns don't browse Sup Forums, it's illegal
>inb4 "my little brother does!"

look at him with a proprietary sausage he likes it...

Linux is ultimate garbage

Well, that's not normies fault then. Why can microsoft make something idiot proof and linux can't?

different culture and systems around linux/unix than windows. windows focuses more on it being easy and simplistic while giving less control, unix-like focuses on more control and optimisations from the user - as they're expected to know what to do. windows has to cater for everyone, whereas linux mainly caters for those who know what they're doing in computing

u wot m8

that's a weird looking dildo

You are absolutely right, lets reimplement all remaining GNU applications as systemd submodules instead.