/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=7u-h2CBAMRk

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-Automatic-Stainless-Canvas/dp/B002SSUQFG
youtube.com/watch?v=nAk0tFIifOU
good-stuffs.com/Vanilla-hand-winding-mechanical-wristwatch-retro-styled-2016-edition_p_240.html
ebay.com/itm/New-Automatic-Movement-Seagull-ST17-Movement-Big-Date-/172714907824?hash=item28369c58b0:g:cFIAAOSwYvFZNYGL
lmgtfy.com/?s=b&iie=1&q=hacking watch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for tuning forks.

Do the OP properly you dumb sack of shit.

Third for dat spd

>coworker knows I like watches and wants advice
>wants a "classic style" and "rugged" watch
>also wants a skeleton dial
Fuck me, I get it, mechanical watches are cool and all but all skeleton watches are dogshit and/or too dressy.

Just recommend something with a sapphire caseback as a compromise.

amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-Automatic-Stainless-Canvas/dp/B002SSUQFG

Still trying to work on the pricing, though the family friend said that any bit of shekels is good as long as i consider it a good deal.

Why do people spend so much time and money on polishing (Or lack thereof) these turds? I can get tossing the cheapo bracelet, and MAYBE getting a new bezel as long as it's not one of those $50 ones, but some go all fucking out for a $60-$70 watch that'll gain a minute a day.

Because it's fun and you risk nothing doing it. FUck the watch up and you lose a few bucks. Do you think people want to customise a Patek or a JLC? Too risky.

This and let's not forget you can easily get any new spare part for a modern Amphibia including entire cases.

So what's with the movement of the skx007?
Some people told me it works like a tank, some say it's dogshit. What is the truth now?

Butterfingered retards getting a 7S26 as their first automatic and then abusing it.

Pic related this is an ETA 2824 that was brought back after four days.

>24 hour bezel
>12 hour watch
Because they are literally Hitler.

It's a tank of a movement but lack some features.

Hello, I went to space too.

It will be my first automatic watch too but I don't plan on abusing it by any means. I'll treat it like any other watch I've owned so far meaning trying not to damage or scratch it by any means possible. Heck I even cared about my 20 Dollar Casio watch as if it was some expensive piece of jewelry.
I heard it does not have hacking or hand winding but I don't really care about those features

When people say a decent budget movement is dogshit, they're most likely the kind of person who genuinely takes Archie's advice to heart and cranks it to finely finished movements that cost as much as a car. Gorgeous finishing and watches altogether, don't get me wrong, but the most a lot of us are going to afford is something like a Sub or Datejust.
I'm going to be real with you; the 7S26 is a cheap as hell movement and is the same one as in the $55 SNK809, and they're made in Malaysia instead of Grorious Nihon so the QC can be lacking. On the upside, the movement is quite reliable for the price, and it's cheap as hell (Like $45 on eBay for a whole NOS movement) so you can just drop a new one in if the old one shits the bed like you would a Vostok.
Dogshit for me would be like one of those early Chinese ETA clones or something you'd find in a franken Slav watch which would shit the bed within a year and be impossible to repair.

I hope you're saving up for the OG space watch.

It's a very positive hit and miss, meaning you're more likely to fall on a reliable movement that can work very well through quite a bit before needing service.

I've had and still have quite a bit of 7S26 and derivative movements (4RXX and 6RXX) watches and they have all been from good to excellent.

Hacking & handwinding aren't really necessary imho. They're just expected these days, especially when there are other watches at similar prices that have them.

I love my SKX, I recommend getting a Strapcode super oyster, I also swapped to a lumed ceramic bezel insert.

recommend me a band for this?

2big4me, would have bought it already if it was

As he said, it's a Perlon, and I'd reckon that he got it from Cheapestcuckstraps since I've got a pretty similar one on my SNK803. Not my picture, but it's pretty much exactly what it looks like.

do you think a perlon strap would be a good replacement for this? or do they only work with white dials/silver cases?

I don't see why not. Black, brown, or navy would be a good combination with a gold case if you ask me.

nutting over this pic rn

Why does my wristbone feel more defined/look bigger after a few weeks of constantly wearing a watch? is it just constricting the area behind it and making it smaller?

there's just something cute about a little 35mm vintage seiko.

ARCHIE IS LIVE RIGHT NOWE WITH OPEN GOOGLE HANGOUTS COME SHIT ON HIM ABOUT SEIKOS

youtube.com/watch?v=nAk0tFIifOU

Looks like any current Seiko 5.

:(

With Seiko 5's most of the times you can only tell if it was made in the 70's or the 2010's by the movement used.

:((((((((((((((((((

>implying that's a bad thing
Seiko had god-tier aesthetics in the 70's a lot of which they still use today.

EVERYONE ASK HIM ABOUT HOMOS

HE WONT RESPOND

im drunk and i think what i was trying to say is that most modern watches are huge and i love my old little thing

he was definitely reading the stream, he said "guys please don't be upset" but he wouldn't fucking respond to us. maybe he's never heard of nomos

No, he definitely knows HOMOS. I'll email him.

Does anyone have any experience with the handwind-only modified Seagull ST17

Im looking at this watch specifically since Im not going to spend 200 on a Junkers Quarz or 300+ for a used Junghans but I am worried that the movement will break after a while and I wont be able to replace it.

good-stuffs.com/Vanilla-hand-winding-mechanical-wristwatch-retro-styled-2016-edition_p_240.html

ebay.com/itm/New-Automatic-Movement-Seagull-ST17-Movement-Big-Date-/172714907824?hash=item28369c58b0:g:cFIAAOSwYvFZNYGL
buy some movements

opinions?

The day/date separator not being in line with the hour ring is a serious design flaw.

help me please if my lugs are 19mm and my only choices are 20mm or 18mm bands which one should i get

20mm, though there shouldn't be an issue to get a 19mm strap.

i can never find 19mm navy blue perlon straps that arent $30+

If it's a perlon get 20mm.

You could have said it's a perlon you're looking for to begin with.

20mm is the way to go.

ok, thank you so much!

also, how weird would it look if i put an 18mm strap on a watch with 20mm lugs?

Very weird.
When you get it, boil it with soapy water to make it softer.

>wearing the watch on your hand
what a pleb

that's a bit extreme. that's literally like wearing a 14mm on a 20mm

those wont fit unless the rotor and its connection are removed. I think Ill just go for it and hope for the best.

The undersized strap wasn't intentional, it's all they had available.

why does my vintage seiko five not pause the second hand when i pull the crown out to the adjusting position? is this normal?

It shouldn't have hacking if it's a 7XXX series movement.

If a vintage Seiko 5 doesn't have "SS" (as in Stop Seconds) on the dial then the movement is non-hacking. See mine that has it.

i don't know what hacking means, but it says Automatic 17 jewels

He'll probably remember Nomos if you throw $35 his way, and then call it an ABSOLUTE SSSSSHITTER.

>Seiko cactus

Check the back, or the lower printing on the dial.

It has the movement-model number there in a XXXX-XXXX format (A.E 7005-8020).

Though i do think it's a 7XXX series movement, so it doesn't hack.

it reads:

SEIKO
WATER RESISTANT
ES
weird little thing that looks like a rotated 69
STAINLESS STEEL 63098840 [A6]

Why do people actually take this dressed up bogan's watch advice seriously?

this is on the back btw

Well in my language "actus" is an old-timey medical term for fucking.

I use the english pronunciation whenever someone asks me what watch is that.

lmgtfy.com/?s=b&iie=1&q=hacking watch

>6309-8840
Well, it's a 6309 movement which doesn't hack.

ok, thanks. does this mean it's older or something maybe? i thought most seiko 5's were similar

They don't really spend that much. Mine ran me 55 for the watch with the steel crown purchased and installed, and another 20 for the bezel. Still cheaper than any other diver on the market.

That's a 6309 movement. They don't hack out of the factory but parts kits exist to make them hack.

Don't try to install this yourself, you'll just destroy the movement.

is the main crown screw down/

Hello there /wt/
I'm looking around a bit, thinking about getting a watch. I never wore anything on my wrist, then I had an Apple watch, realised the constant notifications made me uncomfortable and having to worry about yet another battery is stupid. Sold it, now I have 150 euros to get a watch.

> Easy to see the time. Black hands on white background or something.
> Radio controlled
> Partial to japanese brands because I am a huge weeabo.

help would be really appreciated.

Yes. Screw down main crown with manual wind and hacking. The bottom crown is not screw down though.

It's significantly older, and via the serial number i can see that yours is from June 1986.

And Seiko 5's were first produced during the 70's, and have evolved over time into the Seiko 5's you have in the market today (various movements like the 6309,6106,7005/6/9/19) and so forth.

I have a feeling you probably bought one of these cheap Indian Seiko 5's haven't you?

Radio controlled only works in certain countries, and the cheapest Radio controlled watches from Citizen are around 180~250$ for that doesn't look like mangled corpses from a high speed car crash.

Otherwise, a good option in your budget is one of the Orient neo70 chronographs. Or any new and not oversized Seiko/Citizen/Orient quartz.

Automatic watches are a different topic, with much more recommendations.

thanks, good to know. and yes, i did buy it for $20 from india. how'd you know?

Figured as much.

Anyhow, unless you enjoy knowing that the only thing holding that watch together is Indian excrement i would suggest to either toss it into the garbage or into the toxic waste disposal and buying a proper (perhaps new) non-feces lubed one that'll possibly out live you.

Also, burning it isn't recommended as the toxic gases will both impact the ozone and those who inhale them.

what's wrong with indian made shitters again?

A shorter list would be what's right with them, seen here:

>

Just avoid pooinloo watches unless you want some franken, repainted dial dogshit with pubes in the movement.

I serviced an HMT Javan before. In short: everything.

so since it says seiko, it's still seiko, right?

thanks, I'll have a look. Thought radio controlled worked everywhere, I'll check here in Spain.

I'd like to congratulate The Swatch Group in finally succeeding in not ritually mutilating a watchmaker they acquired and then wearing their skin as a bodysuit for once. GO even appear to still have good finishing! It's a fucking Christmas miracle!

Maybe it is, maybe it's a shitty worn out Citizen-clone HMT movement.

inside on the movement it says japan made and seiko everywhere

why do you retards buy these again?

wut teh fuk is that

Maybe the Germans don't let themselves get cucked as easily by their baguette-eating French-Swiss masters. Maybe Glashütte is too far from Biel.

what part of china is this from?

You wish it were fake
costs like a car

A short explanation would be the rickshaw crash copypasta, but i can't find.

So in the long run, Pahjeet finds an old rather trashed Seiko/Orient/Citizen and pays 20 rupees for it. Goes to the local shitting corner and grabs so fine Indian watch lubricant, gently spreads the excrement across the gears and prays to his Hindu gods that the watch will work. proceeds to carefully clean the dial as much as he can despite his instincts.

Afterwards he sells it on eBay for 20$ (Which are 1200~ rupees i think) making a massive profit, joyfully runs like a madman nearly slipping and crashing onto the ground after after stepping on the morning shit he took out the window and ships it to a clueless guy who bought it on eBay.

Is it a real Seiko? Mostly is, although it's usually extremely worn and brought to a barely running but good enough to sell condition.

Also, they regularly create hand painted fake dials if they are too far decayed to be sold as is.

The one time i didn't find a person regretting on purchasing an Indian shit rework is when he needed quite a few parts for a 8110A chronograph and it was the cheapest (and only) option at the time

doesn't look as cool as other pateks tho

I was thinking the same. traded it for 20k+ for that reason

seeing as patek never made this and it sells only on indian websites for about 100 usd. ill go out on a limb here and say its the lowest of the low chinkshit