/tpg/ - Used, ugly dinosaur laptops general

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/362079004208?_trksid=p2046732.m570.l5998&_trkparms=gh1g=I362079004208.N35.S1.R1.TR1#viTabs_0
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-12-5-Core-i7-2-8GHz-4GB-500GB-Laptop-Adapter-WiFi-Web-Cam-/311945003575
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Daily reminder that only virgins who think they're hackers for using Arch buy used thinkpads.
Daily reminder that people with normal sex lives buy a mac.

Reminder that people with "normal sex lives" are vapid and std-ridden.

How's that virginity at age 28 working out for you, Sven?

my thinkpad got me laid (;
i'm gay though

Not a virgin, just don't base my self-worth on how frequently I get Wilson wet.
Nor do I enjoy being pegged by Apple with their $2499 flimsy aluminum cock :^)

ebay.com/itm/362079004208?_trksid=p2046732.m570.l5998&_trkparms=gh1g=I362079004208.N35.S1.R1.TR1#viTabs_0

Is this a good deal for an X230? What's the max I should bid on this?

Feels like I don't have herpes. Or gonorrhoea. Or one of the other 20 STDs that normies get.

>normies
>muh STDs

Are all thinkpad virgins that mad they can't get laid?

Rhetorical questions make you seem smarter without actually being smarter. They also help to cover up emotions like "I wish I wasn't a STD breeding ground"

>STD breeding ground
>top kek lel le epic memay

Dude, just because I do get laid while you don't does not mean that I have any STDs. I've never had any because I don't fuck cheap sluts.

if you think a laptop is the dividing line between you and getting laid you should re-evaluate your priorities

You have STDs. Unless you've never had sex (which is seeming increasingly likely), you have STDs.

I would like to point out that it was the STD-riddled virgin that said that the laptop was the defining factor.

It works great for me. I run Linux on mine and it works great for the most part. Only a few comments to make:

>If you buy a used one on ebay, make sure to bid on auctions instead of buy it now. Within a week you should be able to get a great one at a much better price than buy it now (I got one with an i7, discrete video card, 500 GB hard drive, 16 GB ram, 1600x900 matte screen).
>Don't expect the battery life to be amazing unless you buy a new one directly from Lenovo or something. These are older laptops and most used ones will come with used batteries (mine came with an extended battery pack and it was still pretty worn).
>I believe the default screen is 1366x768 but there are screen upgrades out there for 1600x900 and if you look around you'll find many T420's with screens that size.
>There are also both wxga and matte screens (wxga has better blacks but can be more prone to glare).
>On Linux you will need to manually set some key bindings for some of the special buttons (eg. volume up/down) if you want them to work.
>You can manually tweak the touchpad configuration for it to work to your liking (personally I'm not a touchpad kind of person anyways so I just carry around a small wireless mouse).
>I believe you can remove the disk drive and add another hard drive into the bay if you want. Some on ebay will have this setup.

Personally the only major problems I had with the T420 are mentioned here: I am not sure if they're unique to my setup or if they're common to other T420 Linux users who want a discrete only setup.

I'm actually 20, thank you very much.
And I feel normal.

Just because you contract aids from a crack whore doesn't mean you're any better than any virgin.

/tpg/ BTFO
When will thinklets ever learn?
2560p Master race reporting in.

I'm not trying to be a dick but any HP product I've had was shit. Thinkpads and macs(when I used to be a mactoddler) were the only laptops I've had that held up for more than 2 years. Buy what you want competition is what makes our shitbooks great.

This is the laptop from 2011 I still use today.

I actually kinda wish Sony still made laptops.

it's shit

Oh shit, I had one of those back in highschool.

Good laptops, lasted some 4 years of school day abuse and incompetent IT dumbasses.

Was great having a laptop to game on until the school installed spyware that let teachers look through the webcam when the students were connected to the internet, even when at home.

Got worse when I barely dodged Federal charges for removing the spyware.

Why shouldn't I buy L440 instead of T440p?

>both have socketed upgradeable CPUs
>both have similar dGPU options (720M and 730M)
>both have batteries that extend out the back instead of down
>both can handle tasty 1080p IPS panel

But, the L440 has an Express card slot while the T440p has no means for connecting an eGPU. The L440 just has an uglier bezel.

Thoughts?

There are hardly any pros compared to x220

>Ugly TN screen with no swappable alternative
>Socketed CPU is nice in theory but cooling is too shit to not throttle quad cores in practice
>chiclet shit keyboard

2560p...for what purpose?

T440p probably has better cooling so handle quad cores better

Would it be good screen for my T420? (Now I have 768p one) It would cost me 80$, tho.

I bought one recently for 80 bucks. VPCE823FM. Sound card needed replacing (2/3 USB ports were smashed) - 30 bucks. Upgraded the RAM to 16GB - 50 bucks. i7 (620m) -25 bucks.

Battery is dead, but I consider that a security feature. Dies the second you unplug it, which is nice for boot encryption. Could have replaced it for 30 bucks though.

All in all, I got a Vaio, which I always wanted for some reason, and made it pretty nice for under 200. Of course, I could have just gotten a fairly decent, similarly specced elitebook for around that price

>All those raging virgins in this thread

lel, you'll never get laid, brehs.

>dead pixel policy
what does this mean?

Their threshold before they consider a panel faulty.

I almost bought one of those. I really liked how it would integrate into the PS3.

>paying for education
American """freedom""" everyone!

I scored 5x perfect dell latitude d830 for free last year

1) installed atheros wifi card for airmon out of my old asus - installed 480gb ssd and run meme of the month linux distros
2)put 1tb hdd and run windows 7 as my portable audio machine with 2x batteries and firewire soundcard (love the mini fw on mobo)
3)gave one to my dad for his retirement office
4)gave (lent) one to a roomate (deadshit) - broke power plug at back - crashed hdd -stepped on machine lid smashed screen getting out of bed on way to take a piss one night (all within a month)
5) spare battery for 2) and general parts bitch

also (pic related) i7 server, macbook air 256gb, macbook g4 ppc, behringer deq2496, behringer dcx2496 (dsp can computer too)

those speakers are shit

tannoy mx2 with ribbon tweeter ?
600 watt class b sub that measures 115db ?
room eq ? digital crossovers ?

you are a massive fucking pleb fuck off

Good work, user. no sarcasm.

no. shit deal. go hunting late at night when the auto listing posts go up.

thanks ! my main point is that thinkpads are getting memed very heavily supply is finite and prices are bound to keep going up...

i have been poor and know what its like... so if anyone is intetested i can heavily recommend the lattitudes (830) as lesser known just as bulletproof thinkpad alternative... also 5 out of 5 of my machines had excellent batteries and i got mine for FREE. Worth looking into desu.

also just an observation... i think some IBM spergs are treating the thinkpad badge just like apple logo

Looking for advice on buying a laptop for uni. Old one gave up on me (9 years old dell studio).
Budget: €400-500
Size: Doesn't matter
Performance: not clogging up when I boot visual studio
Other requirements: none

Newtonian telescope on a GoTo mount? Astrophotography?

You let yourself be controlled by women, you are a Slave to them. You worry about them, change your life in order to please them; they occupy your time preventing you from reaching your True potential.

>installed spyware that let teachers look through the webcam when students were connected to the internet, even at home
I don't want to believe you.

What's the best Thinkpad if I'm looking for a machine that will be docked 90% of the time?

>futon matress
neck yourself my dude.

W-Series workstation. W520 if you like old-style thinkpads, W530 if you can deal with chiclet and don't plan on changing much.

Or a W700ds if you can get your hands on one.

minimal usable hackintosh thinkpad?

w530 would be best docked desu

w700ds is just cool

that's because you didn't buy the brushed metal one user :^)

Kek at my offer message from seller.

>X220t
Be prepared for some mad coil whine. Also, the screen isn't that good at tracking.

t420

Is 280 a good price for an x240 with an i7 4600u? Or should I keep waiting

28 isn't a good price for a **40 series, let alone 280.

He denied it anyway, I just bought an x200 as well.

Why do you say that? Is the x230 a better choice even though the CPU is older?

Italianon here. Pretty much same situation. I've been lurking every single tpg post for like 10 days so I made myself a little culture.
I was originally considering something around €500 but in the end I decided to opt for something cheaper and sturdier, so I could play around with it swapping components and learn GNU/Linux without fear. At first I wanted to get an x230 for the better screen and battery life, but I felt like 12 inches were too small. I ended up buying a t430 base model for €150 so I could taste the last tpg meme. I'll obviously add ram and an SSD and maybe in the future I'll upgrade the CPU.
I bought it some days ago from subito.it and I'm waiting for it to arrive.
That was my choice but if you want something that works out of the box I got suggested some threads ago to go for a t450 or x250.

What do you mean? Won't auto listings be bad deals too?

Why, did you knock someone out with the Thinkpad?

The **40 series is a dumpster fire. Haswell-U, poor heat management and a bad trackpad make that series the single worst thinkpad T- and X-Series laptops in my humble opinipon.

Yes, the X230 is a better choice.

How good is i5-3320 for normie usage?

Even if you get it for free, you are paying for it with your taxes retard.

I'd go for the X240 if you want portability, the touchpad is a big issue but it's replaceable easily and you're not going to get heat issues with a mere 15W TDP ULV processor which will give you better battery life too.

If you're just browsing the internet and writing word documents, then it's perfectly fine.

It's pretty hard to find an i-series CPU that will be inadequate for normie shit. Buy an SSD and you'll be blazing fast.

x230i?

This. At least Americans have the option not to pay for college if they don't go. Brits pay for a college education whether they get one or not.

Get a W530 and make sure the motherboard has 4 DIMM slotsand the quad core CPU. If you want to compromise for space get an X220/230. Buy an SSD for either. If you get an X make sure the SSD is msata.

I have a girlfriend and a job, and bought a used thinkpad because it met my needs.

Nice digits

Captcha: MEXICO THIEL
You heard it here first, Peter Thiel is going to buy Mexico

I'm using it to play Dolphin emu so it will be perfectly fine for facebook or whatever.

>You have STDs. Unless you've never had sex (which is seeming increasingly likely), you have STDs.
That's not how reality works

thinkpads are God's greatest gift to mankind.

nice

>I paid a lot therefore they arent shit
kys my nigga

So X240 has a shittier cpu than the X230?

In raw performance, yes. In battery life the x240 wins because of ULV 15W processor. Both are soldered anyway so you can't upgrade them like the Ts.

As a thinkpad owner who's had sex and is STD-free, stop being a retard.

do the dual-core and quad-core t510s have different pin layouts on the cpu? i have an i5- 520m in mine right now and want to upgrade to the quad-core for cheap, but i'm getting conflicting answers on the thinkpad forums

hm, i recognize this place.

Is this loss?

Heya fellas
I'm deciding between an X230, T420, and T430
All the ones I'm looking at are in my budget and have nearly identical specs. The T420 is in the best condition with a 2nd-gen i5 running at 3.5ghz and 4gb of ram, and for worse condition, the X230 and T430 have identical specs (8gb of ram, 3rd gen 2.6ghz i5 (They might be different generations though)) except for the X230 having a 128gb SSD.
I've never owned a Thinkpad before, so I don't think I'll miss anything from the T420 that seems to be such a big deal.

>Budget: ~$300 USD
>Location: Southeast USA
>Size: Small enough to fit in a bookbag with textbooks and shit
>Performance: Would prefer it to be able to handle any bloated IDE I throw at it while also keeping 10 or so Firefox tabs open at the same time under Ubuntu
>Other requirements: Going to be using this for CompSci in college, so it being durable enough to last 4 years of whatever is important. Decent battery life (~6 Hours or so) is important, but I figure a refurb might not have a good battery, so I'll buy a new one if Lenovo still sells it. If Ubuntu out of the box has drivers that are compatible with everything inside, that's a gigantic plus. I don't know enough about Linux to be fucking around with that. I'll settle for following tutorials tailored to specific machines, though.

is the L-series any good or are you better off buying an older used T-series?

That image literally makes me see red.

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-12-5-Core-i7-2-8GHz-4GB-500GB-Laptop-Adapter-WiFi-Web-Cam-/311945003575

My x220 tablet has some dirt cake on it. Is a cotton pad and rubbing alcohol safe to use on it? I don't want to cause irreversible damage to it

yes

Xs are for portability and locked to 1336x768 screens but with the option to use an IPS one, meanwhile the Ts support up to 1600x900 but with shitty TN panels that can be solved somewhat with the alienware screen mod, have an upgradeable processor and can use up to 3 drives.

Both as far as i know work instantly out of the box on Linux distros.

I'm going to go with "deeply immature people who need to bring up their penises even when considering something as utterly nonsexual as their technology choices" are easily swayed by shiny advertising.

>3.5ghz
No it fucking isn't.

Saw this on /r/thinkpad:

>A can of compressed air may be useful too, and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds are good for cleaning, but not on the screen.

>nothing opened
>2gb ram

>r/thinkpad
get out

How many drives can you put in an x?

I see that you're recommending a laptop with an i7, but will I be missing any extra features or functionality from an X230?
Thank you very much
I don't really care about the color accuracy or whatever as long as it gets bright enough to see inside a classroom with fluorescent overhead lighting.
I guess an X-series is better for my usage.
Thanks for the info on Linux. I shouldn't be expecting any strange component incompatibility? Having working wi-fi out of the box is especially important to me.
*2.5ghz

pls respond

kys newfag

Just put a 940xm in it, you'll be FINE.

>I see that you're recommending a laptop with an i7, but will I be missing any extra features or functionality from an X230?
>Thank you very much
You will not be missing any features or functionality from an X230.

>Defending Leddit
>Calling someone else new
Pick only one

wew

Usually two, an msata ssd + ssd or hdd in the main drive bay.

>I shouldn't be expecting any strange component incompatibility? Having working wi-fi out of the box is especially important to me
Nah, intel wlan cards just werk.

go back to Sup Forums my dude, rmd threads are more suited for you intellectual level