/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

dustinhome.no/product/5010958443/neyc3-power-switch-kit-white
m.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-Superheterodyne-3400RF-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Kit-For-Arduino-ARM-MCU-/121597448874
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi
archive.fo/kdoBa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trying home automation. Bought some sockets which work on the 433MHz RF (433.92MHz), but the receiver on the PI doesn't register any signals from the socket remote control when I press buttons, so I'm getting nowhere fast.

Sockets:
dustinhome.no/product/5010958443/neyc3-power-switch-kit-white

RF transmitter and reciever:
m.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-Superheterodyne-3400RF-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Kit-For-Arduino-ARM-MCU-/121597448874

"R" in pic related is how I've connected it to the Raspberry Pi 2 B.

I've installed rpi-rf through pip and this is the command I use to listen:
rpi-rf_receive -g 17

The goal is to figure out what the remote control is sending, then disconnect the rf receiver and connect the rf transmitter (same pins), and from there send rf signals to turn on/off my sockets.

what service in network is responsible for being able to write
>ping kichenPC

and it pings the PC
and how can I can make this work across two subnets separated by NAT?

So I set up some nifty keyboard shortcuts in GNOME, for example Ctrl+T to open my terminal. Then I realized all this would interfere when I open tabs in my browser, etc. Is there any way to make the shortcuts context-specific? For example, only working from my default desktop?

that would be stupid too, as you often might want to open terminal when you are in browser
and not going for mid-step to first minimize..

find a nice single key or key combo that you dont use

I use grave key, its the console key, the one under Esc
F1 or F10 are good candidates
scrolllock, or pause/break too

if you want two key combo then start using winkey instead of ctrl

What the fuck is blockchain? Any website that explains it in a way a retard like me could understand it?

File Explorer keeps crashing everytime i open a file.
This has happened ever since i upgraded to win10.
Multiple reinstalls later, new hardware, still happening.
Can't change desktop backgrounds either.

Tried everything on google, didn't work.

You're probably right, just going to have to figure out the best combos to use.

how I understand it
you know what a database is? it stores data right?
but its a single file somewhere
you hack it change some entries, shit, you rich now

blockchain is a solution to have unchanging historic record of data that no one can go back and change
price is that the data are all readable by people who have access to that blockchain

hosts file binds the name to IP.
Or use bonjour and then kitchenPC.local if this is the name of the pc

> what service
Ping sends IP packets, no udp or tcp on top. So you can't because nat punches holes based on port. Although some routers do have a "DMZ" feature that routes all traffic not already associated with a connection to a specific machine
Or use a vpn

This is really puzzling. You're not doing that inside an ssh session/a vnc connection/any other remote desktop solution are you?

It's pretty common to use the Windows key for all window manager related shortcuts instead of control.

Does PrivacyBadger and uBlock Origin help prevent that?
Also I don't use Facebook and Twitter so I won't be logged into any personal accounts there.

They can, although I am not sure, I don't know what they block exactly.

I'm not doing anything special as far as I know, I'm literally using the physical laptop in front of me right now to post.
It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, so I guess I'll just have to get good and learn to do without.

Do you know whether you're using Wayland or X11?

I have linux and windows machines
and different subnets, they can ping each other
but if I would want them to be able to ping each other based on hostname I have to use some service
now I google alternative to bonjour, at avahi popped up
I checked and my archbox has avahi installed
but needed some more stuff
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi
still wont work but at least I have good starting point

>So you can't because nat punches holes based on port.
is set firewall open for one IP address
I am trying to setup samba share between two subnets
and going by some guide from 2008 they recommend
>Optionally, and even better, you have local name services working, and can ping by hostname as well.

so I am tinkering with that

the options when logging on says "system x11 default", along with "gnome", "gnome classic", and "gnome on xorg". So I'm using x11 apparently, as that's the one that's selected by default.

Not saying that I can help, but this is extremely low information. Do you mean a specific file, or just any file? If it's a specific file, what's special about it? Maybe it's a shortcut to something that doesn't exist or something.

What makes you think the receiver's compatible with the remote?

It's any file, doesn't matter which drive it is on.

IIRC avahi is the Linux counterpart of Bonjour,on Windows though it is Bonjour. after installing it you teoretically should be able to do "ping .local"

Did you use the same hard drive, or are they all new? Did you copy over any files?

only thing that's being reused is the ssd
did not get this issue when running win8.1

Both work on the 433MHz bandwidth as I explained. The only job of the receiver is to sniff out anything happening around that bandwidth.

The last think that comes to mind is installing gksudo (sudo apt-get install gksudo) and trying running gksudo synaptic but I highly doubt it will work.
As I said, you could learn how to use apt-get to install and uninstall software. After all, you already did it once when installing sudo!

Well, it's not a problem that everybody with Windows 10 has, so you need to have something specific that triggers it. And if the only common thing is your SSD then I can only assume that's the problem, in combination with W10.

i have found that it was a problem during the win10 preview and that it should have been updated out, i just don't have that update

Try not using synaptic you dumb.

You said separated by NAT originally. Bonjour is multicast and even if you forwarded those messages you would still need to set up routing. Lastly Windows file sharing doesn't spend on ping. Next time you want help try saying what you are actually trying to do.

I tried running gksudo synaptic, got a different error.
Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Then some popup about "unable to copy user's Xauthorization file"

I'm starting to think this isn't actually my fault.

Despite all the Sup Forums memes I never have Windows crash. Just now I left my computer for 30 minutes and it says atikmpag.sys failed. Should I be concerned?

I was looking at my local networks, as the new apartment I'm in is quite crowded on the 2.4GHz channels, and I came across this network, which has a similar MAC address and signal strength to mine, but is ac and has WPA2 Enterprise, whereas mine is WPA2 with PSK and only g/n. It seems to keep following the channel I select, so is it actually the same router?
I don't know how one device could have two MAC addresses, so its existence is a mystery to me.

On a side note, which channel do you think I should pick? I'm on channel 1 right now, but my ping is not great on this channel either. 1, 6, and 11 all have similar results where the ping spikes high, so I know I need to change something.
(Channel 1)
Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 252ms, Average = 34ms

Progress!
Try sudo apt-get install canberra-gtk3-module or sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk3-module

First one couldn't"locate package". Tried second one, said it's already at the newest version.

How is the AMD A8 7410 for a laptop CPU?

Just need something decent for college.
The only specs they've given are a min of 4gb ram and an i5.
Don't know what software I'll have to use so I am not sure how much they're overestimating the required specs.

Well let's just try to fix the other problem then.
sudo rm ~/.Xauthority; touch ~/.Xauthority

Then try running gksu again?

between pentium and i3

why dont you just buy a used thinkpad?
much better value for the money

"cannot remove, no such file or directory"
looking back at gksudo synaptic, the terminal said basically the same thing, I only payed attention to the popup.
i tried gksu synaptic, and it gave a fullscreen popup to enter the admin password, but i couldn't click on the box to actually enter in the password. The mouse changed like it does over text to that line thing, but it refused to focus(?) on the textbox. When trying to enter the password regardless, it was just typing in the terminal and not the text box.

Hello, I have a Lenovo G500 from a friend who gave it to me for repair.

The problem is when I turn it on, it wont go past the "Lenovo logo" on the start.
So I opened the laptop and plugged off the internal CMOS battery, and living it unplugged and the computer starts normally every time.

Would like to say that the battery is dead the one that keeps the laptop running so I have it plugged in on the power brick.

Then I switched the new battery it's working fine if its plugged on the power brick and will boot every time with the new battery. But the problem is when I leave it unplugged from the power brick for an x amount of time the problem remains the same and it wont boot past the "Lenovo logo".
If I unplug the CMOS battery the laptop continues to work normally.

There is a new motherboard because the laptop was under warranty, he send it in because of the same problem, and now with the new motherboard the problem is the same it wont boot if the CMOS battery is plugged and will boot normally and work normally when it's unplugged.

Got any solutions?

If all you need to do is broswe and use office it's more than adequate

I need to file the save location of a videogame, because is a cracked version it does not save where it usually would, checked appdata, my documents and the game itself, I know is a ".sav" file, but I still can't find it, this game saves often, it has to be somewhere.

install Everything

search for "*.sav"

file your file from the list

Recently reinstalled win10 (use dual-boot with Linux) and now every time I open a video under win10, the computer/mouse lags/freezes for 5-6 seconds and then starts playing the video. Wtf is up with this? Doesn't matter which player I use, tested with wmp, mpc-hc, mpc-be, vlc.

update your drivers

disconnect hdd
does it boot 100% when battery left plugged in?

I have this strange thing with my notebook. When it's running on battery, the fan turns off completely, and only turns on when really necessary. However, when it's plugged in, the fans is constantly on. Now of course there are different settings in the power options for battery vs plugged in, regarding clock speeds and whatnot.

I want my laptop to be as quite as possible, I don't really give a shit about performance.

So I made a new power plan and set everything to the most power saving option available and made the battery and plugged in options identical. Yet, the fan is still off on battery mode and still on plugged in. WTF is this shit? I'm starting to think some sort of power saving is hardwired in the BIOS or something.

>using android
>disable all google sync
>never use chrome on mobile
>got notification google trying to sync credential content provider and chrome
what do?

>disconnect hdd
Will try this now.

>does it boot 100% when battery left plugged in?
No it wont boot if the battery is plugged in, if I unplug the battery it will boot 100% normally. The battery is Ok tested it with a Voltmeter.

If I disconnect the HDD with the battery plugged in it will boot and pass the Lenovo Logo, and display and error message.

Check Cable Connection
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel EXE ROM

Because other studies in the same cluster including one where the only difference between mine is that it's a part-time study cite minimum resolution specs at 1600x900 with 1080p preferred.
This already limits refurbished options by a lot.
Then those shops tend to have very small HDDs put in the Thinkpads, replacing it with an SSD or a bigger HDD sets me back another 100 euros, regardless whether I put it in or the shop.

So ultimately the price difference is rather marginal.

Now I've checked the benchmarks and realized AMD still isn't too great on the laptop market.

That's the problem, I don't know if it's just office programs.
The part time study of the same area has higher listed system specs, but their program is also slightly different.

Holy shit, I think I found it, thanks, thank you very much, although, how does it manage to search so fast?

reeee
what browser should i use on my 100% fresh new GNU+Linux install
sorosfox anr goolag chromium is out of the question
prefereably no cli browser as

no idea, but i do know microsoft is incompetent and their built-in search is complete shit

Firefox is fine. You're not giving them any money by using it.

What method / software do pirates use to rip video from Netflix?

Some Firefox fork, like Palemoon or Waterfox. No idea which one's better.

archive.fo/kdoBa
no its not

will they move to webextensions too?

How can I move windows 7 from my current hard drive to a new ssd without transferring all my data? I just want a clean install with the activation.

I believe I've heard they might not, but I can't be sure.

Are there smartphone equivalents of business-grade (e.g. HP and Lenovo's lines) laptops yet?

i.e. robust and easily repaired models that got sold off in bulk whenever a business upgraded and are sold used cheap and in good condition.

Even if there were they wouldn't sell them off in bulk, it would be a huge security risk.

the clevo N150RD is the only laptop that i can get for

any reason to update gpu drivers if I'm not playing new games at the moment?

ok

I can't imagine why you wouldn't. Hardware acceleration maybe, if you use it. Might get more efficient drivers. Or a bug you didn't know about before.

What type of glass is best for table tops? Tempered, Gorilla, etc...

so i reinstalled windows, and now steam wont update game
it just gets to 99% and resets

any ideas?

I'll just take what I've learned here and not bother with synaptic anymore, just learn apt commands.
Thanks for the help though, I really do appreciate it.

You're welcome. If you have questions about the commands I asked you to run feel free to ask.

Does anyone here know how tripcodes work? (What algorithm)

I want to set up a home network thats actually fairly decent.

As it stands theres just my pc, the modem router, a tv and two phones right now. so its basically every shitty home network ever.
Im wondering first off its possible to "split" my computer so that a bit of it is acting as a nas that other devices can access, or rather what the best way to do this is. Ideally i want to make it so that i can have my phones tv connect to it with ease. Im guessing ill also have to change my modem router? my understanding is that a modem decodes cable signal and a router is just a collection of switches and a wireless i/o? so i can replace each part and have a better setup?

You don't need to replace anything. Install linux on your computer, then set up NFS, Samba and an HTTP server on it.

>Im wondering first off its possible to "split" my computer so that a bit of it is acting as a nas that other devices can access, or rather what the best way to do this is.
Yes, that is possible. All you need to do for this is to install some form of network filesharing software. It does mean your computer needs to be always on though -- or at least on whenever you want to use any of those NAS files.

>Im guessing ill also have to change my modem router?
No, that is not necessary. What you have will do file.

>my understanding is that a modem decodes cable signal and a router is just a collection of switches and a wireless i/o? so i can replace each part and have a better setup?
More or less, yes. But there doesn't seem to be a need to change anything about this part of your setup.

>nstall linux on your computer
actually already have this set up. the main issue im thinking of is power consumption. i dont particularly want raid or anything right now, might be nice to set up in the future though. will look into needforspeed samba and http server

well thats easy then, why are there so many consumer grade modems and routers that seem like even a good nighthawk would beat?

If power consumption is a concern buy a raspberry pi instead.
Also for easy googling NFS is NetworkedFileSystem.

how do i get the debian+non-free iso to actually find and install the ath10k firmware??
is it even included or do i have to put them on a other usb drive and install them

is it still worth getting a degree on statistics or IBM Watson killed/will kill all data scientist/data analyst/statistician jobs?

Probably still worth it if you're willing to spend your days programming.

I remember years ago I could customize ubuntu with all these shitty things like opacity and neon border lights.
Is there something similar for debian? I guess for gnome, technically.

Is there a torrent client that let's me move torrented files after downloading them?
I currently use deluge, but the option is to only move them after they are downloaded.
I want a manual thing, that skips the step where I have to copy them outside the client than set the new root.

Pretty sure qbittorrent can do that. Just right click, set location. And I think it does the copying itself if it has already downloaded something. I don't see it in the web UI though.

thanks

god fucking, how do i search a bunch of files and files in subfolders for some string, and have the paths of those files shown to me on powershell?

so i'm at:
foreach($item in get-childitem -recurse) {grep "string" $item}

but this doesn't work because $item isnt a path just the file name of a file that's in a subfolder somwhere

there has to be a simple and elegant solution

I think the option actually exists on my client and I just missed I'll try it and post again.

Dowloading a jap game from jap servers with a vpn as its not coming to the west. All my traffic is routed through the vpn right? Its currently downloading at 1/4 mb/s and thats almost unbearable, but its slowly getting better. It started out at 1/10 mb/s. Why is my dl speed slowly improving? Also, all my traffic is routed through the vpn, so any other online game i play while waiting would lower my DL speed for this one right?

Why use an extension like self destructing cookies or cookies autodelete instead of just using a whitelist?

The place where my wificard on my laptop is gets a little warm, is that okay?
Will that cause problems eventually? Or is that just normal?

There are many websites that expect cookies to work. It's easier to automatically delete them the second you're done with them than to add them to a whitelist temporarily and have to remember to remove them from the whitelist once you're done using them.

consider a new gpu if its driver crashes
or win10

And what happens with these sites? Got any site examples? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.

I'm on windows 10. Just updated my driver so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I think the one for my bank and a few e-commerce websites will simply not work, i.e. I won't be able to log into my account or I won't be able to add items to my cart.

Why is a 4790k more expensive than a 7700k?

legacy hardware. no actual reason. theres a bunch of the obscurish intel cpus at crazy prices. funny how they still hold up against modern cpus though, hey?

Is there a simple and fast image/gif/webm viewer for gnu/linux that has a "copy/move to" (with history) function or do I have to write one myself

alright thanks

yea, I did miss it, deluge apparently has it