/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
askubuntu.com/questions/557029/super-key-the-windows-key-not-working-in-i3wm-in-14-04-1-lts
pastebin.com/r612QdVV
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/readline
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
kernel.org/
askubuntu.com/questions/42494/how-can-i-change-the-nvidia-gpu-fan-speed
example.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is RMS right? Are we using GNU with linux?

Yes.

Well we're certainly using gnu software, even if it's only to compile our kernel.

is it worth making your own distro from scratch?

How do you pronounce 'GNU/Linux'?

Unironically just install Gentoo

Are you an idiot? Are you going to maintain all the packages that you use and their dependencies and keep up with their updates, security patches and other best practices?
Are you going to create new software, like a package manager, despite there already being package managers out there?

Don't listen to this homosexual Install Source Mage, it's literally LFS with a package manager.

Wizards Assemble!

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

"gnu slash linux"

Gentoo is also basically LFS with a package manager. And so is Exherbo. Literally every source-based distro is LFS with a package manager, because that's what it means to use LFS.

"ɡnuː ˈlJnəks"

Does Gentoo get code directly from upstream in it's default state?
If no, then it's not "basically LFS with a package manager".

Do you pronounce the 'slash' though?

But SMGL doesn't do that either. Granted, they're a lot less hands-on with their packaging, but they still have to modify the packages in order to adhere to file system hierarchy.

tfw installing

No.

>reasons to use source mage over gentoo
>
>
>...

Doesn't that imply that Linux is a GNU project?

Linux system administrators, how well paying is your job?

does this imply anyone cares?
we know what you mean.

But other people might not.

anyone who doesn't know the gnu/linux, the meaning/meme behind it won't care what you call it, it's going to be 'linux' no matter what you do

>implying anyone here even has a job

Although I don't play games nearly as much as I used to. I'm looking for a good Linux or BSD distribution that will be an all over good experience when it comes to basic use, doing research, typing up documents, some programming but can also run games well. I don't need to be able to run absolutely every game in the book, but I'd like to be able to play most of my steam library and all of the blizzard games.

Personally, when I write, I often use slashes to list comparable objects/people/topics together when a list in itself (delineated by a comma) doesn't seem to convey the right message, and I'll talk the way that my prose reads, so I'll sort of make verbal "/"s in my mind during conversation, which generally sounds a lot like me making a list, except I won't pause between words.

t. autist

What you can do on one distro, you can do on others.
Next, read the OP.

Does anyone know the setxkbmap
equivalent of the following xmodmap commands? I have been unable to find anything straight forward.

xmodmap -e "clear mod4"
xmodmap -e "add Mod4 = Super_L"

It comes from this question. i3 is not recognising my Super key presses and I need to remap it.

I'd appreciate your input.

askubuntu.com/questions/557029/super-key-the-windows-key-not-working-in-i3wm-in-14-04-1-lts

Do I bite the bullet and install Manjaro on my new XPS 13? I need my rice.

give me a reason for not installing ubuntu first

at least install arch like a non retard
but then again, you are a dumb frog poster

You don't need to learn anything terminal-related besides whatever software package manager you use. And that's perfectly documented and is easy peasy.

I used Debian back in the day. Rolling Fedora now. Pick whatever you want, as long as it's easy to install you will be fine. There's no need to restrict yourself to Ubuntu.

Meant to quote you, frogfriend.

I figured that I could use Manjaro to learn proper Arch.

go use arch if you want to """""""learn proper arch"""""
no such thing though. there's no reason to use arch over debian unstable or even ubuntu

So Manjaro should be a good starting point?

kill yourself, frogfag

I guess I'll go ahead and go for it. I'll see you on the cozy side

B-but...where's systemd?

The thread says friendly, dude.

You first, cockfag.

get out of my thread, frog posting shit stain

dude its a frog ok calm down

I posted no frogs, false accuser.

Everybody calm the fuck down. Frogs were posted, but that's no reason to go apeshit.

Why do programs need glibc installed to run?

If it's a library that you use in your program written in C and then compile the program, why do you still need the library files around? Won't the various features from the library end up in your program? Also, if it's just an uncompiled text file, how can programs use it?

Do I have this wrong and somehow glibc is in compiled for and then other programs can use features from it?

have one shared libc so every program isn't being bloated up by having the library with it.

>Tfw I cause massive asspain by posting a fucking frog

you think too highly of yourself

> there's no reason to use arch over debian unstable or even ubuntu

Fucking retarded meme poster.

There are reasons. The reason are the same as with any other distribution. Ubuntu has a fixed release, while Arch and the Debian branches are rolling release. Debian and Ubuntu patch software heavily from upstream and not just modifications so they run on different architectures. Arch keeps the packages as close to upstream as possible. Arch has non-free software in its repositories by default, Debian doesn't. They use different package managers.

Stop posting you retarded meme spreader.

i'm trying to keep it contextual. does this manjaro user really need """"""heavily modded packages"""" for his very obscure cpu arch? i dont think so. does he really need 30 minute old software? again, i don't think so. reasons to use pacman over apt? i don't see any - and it isn't hard to add the nonfree repos to debian.

What's upstream of Debian?

>does this manjaro user really need """"""heavily modded packages"""" for his very obscure cpu arch?
Debian patches it, you retard, not Arch and its shitty downstream distributions like Manjaro.
Lay off the quotation mark memes, you retard. You don't even know what it means. Just like you have no idea what you're talking about in the distribution sense.

Distribution wise? Nothing.

you didn't read my post properly. i never said manjaro / arch patches them - which is why i said does he really need them patching. you know what i mean, you're being a moron on purpose
what made you pick arch over ubuntu...?

>what is dynamic linking

Bump. Maybe I should post a frog to get answers.

>why have a choice if I don't like it?

you're missing the point

umm I found some mysterious '.swm' file in my home directory
it's mostly garbage, but I found a part of my firefox css crammed into a single line
it's 19G
what could it be?
how do I proceed?

probably a file from vim. it keeps files starting in .sw as a backup incase the program crashes. just get rid of it

if you say so

u have been hacked lol

meant to

ok thanks for the tip bro

isn't 19G a lot though?

did you open something by accident in vim or whatever?
i looked up the .sw files on askubuntu and people have seen large files too, exceeding 14gb. bugs happen i guess, just get rid of it and forget it.
capcha public humps for

>did you open something by accident in vim
I might have opened some non text file by accident

Red Hat. Especially now that Debian is a systemdOS

debian fags btfo

Nevermind. Already posted in stack exchange.

Could that user pls share the bash vi-key setup stuff? Goin' to try.

Here you go, user pastebin.com/r612QdVV

Read this if you haven't already wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/readline

How would I start compiling my own kernel ?
Any Guides or documentation for big guide lines about the different important/most used flags & their uses ?

start from learning how to use a search engine

download source
run 'make menuconfig'
tick some boxes
'make install'
www.startpage.com first please.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Configuration
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide

>download the tarball from here kernel.org/
>make sure the source is clean
$ make clean && make mrproper

>configure (menuconfig is deprecated, use nconfig)
$ make nconfig

>compile (jobs is the number of cpu cores times the number of threads per cpu + 1)
$ make -j

>install the kernel
# cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-

>install modules (modules are in /lib/modules/)
# make modules_install

>make your boot loader detect it
>done

>about the different important/most used flags & their uses
I already looked that up.

I was looking for some sort of compilation about the "boxes to tick" themselves. There's a shitload of them, and I don't really have the courage to look them all up to see what they do. I don't really want to forget or "untick" important ones...

But thx anyway, I don''t really know what else I was expecting from asking here.

there's help sections built into the config menu. they are from the devs themselves - so i don't get what more you'll need. if you've managed to get to the stage of fiddling with your own kernels, you'll have enough knowledge to do fine. just ensure you read the help menu for each option if you're not sure and follow the recommendations or leave the default if you're unsure

How do i make linux partitions behave like in windows?
>2 partitions
>1 for root
>1 for media, games, etc
What should i use as mount point for my file storage partition? When i leave it blank, installer says it will not be mounted. Does that mean that partitions will be unacceptable for me? When i mount it as "/VIDEO GAMES" it blends with root folder. I want muh partitions separately like on Win. Pls help.

make root partition(/)
make home partition(/home)
or something similar, like /home/user/directory/101/
you can't mount /video games - it is not an absolute path nor is it valid and it can't contain spaces. i'd personally recommend you split between / and /home.

Make a separate partition for you /home ?
Or make a directory called video-games in it and mount your separate partition on it.

I want my "Video Games" partition to appear as separate entry similar like /home to /root. But i only could mount my partitions to either /root and /home as folders.

can you not make a mountpoint to /home/USER/video_games ?

Did you try in /mnt ?

why not put video games in home?

just have a single partition for the time being, until you stop being a noob

That's how the filesystem layout works. Stop living in the Windows mindset.

Why though? It will be basically the same but bit more organized, sure.
Nope. What it does?
Im a winfag and its unintuitive to me.
You think i should just make partitions and mount them wherever (like in /home) for time being?
Im trying!

yes it will be the same.
you won't notice a slightest difference in your games being mounted on a seperate partition in the slightest.
what are you actually trying to achive?

Yes; you must stick your tongue out and blink twice (quickly) before expressing the following statement.
e.g.:
("gahnoo %s linucks", tongue_blink)
I hope that clarified things a little.

How to throttle GPU fan in Ubuntu?

did you look it up first?
askubuntu.com/questions/42494/how-can-i-change-the-nvidia-gpu-fan-speed

But I'm using AMD

radeon-profile and radeon-profile-daemo. not sure if they're in the ubuntu repos but building it isn't too hard.

i literally searched 'ubuntu change gpu fan speed'
why can't you do the same if your case has specific requirements?
why didnt you think to google this before asking here

does anyone know if

wget -N example.com/
(check if the remote file has changed, and download it if it has)

executed every 1sec is taxing for the remote server? will it get me blacklisted?

Was too scared to Google