What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Their market share was like 99%, everybody were thinking that no-one could ever make a better media player. when Apple invented iTunes, people were laughing at Apple saying nobody would ever use that memory hungry bloated shit and pay for DRM raped songs when they could download mp3's for free and play them in glorious winamp

meanwhile today, there are people browsing this board that has never even used it and most normies have never even heard of it

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170111060011/blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,86827.0.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Streaming killed it. Shoutcast was ass

AOL bought them and never did anything with it.

A bloated upgrade happened
IIRC, also lacked support for some codecs

the jews did this

They should have extended it with voice modem features.

>never did anything with it.

you mean they killed it by adding a bunch of bullshit that was unnecessary and bloated like a library manager and skins, near the end it was just a ricing widget more than a media player

aol recently sold it to radionomy and there's rumors of a new release

Winamp 5.666 is perfection. No need to change anything.

They tried to make it into a fucking video player and added a fucking web browser and all other manner of shit.

Either way, iTunes was better if you were a rich fag.

iTunes was only good for podcasts.

iTunes was great for tagging music, organizing a large library, and for it's complete integration into itunes online music store.

>meanwhile today, there are people browsing this board that has never even used it and most normies have never even heard of it
exacly
users changed plus no one like to use old / not keep with the times / be left behind

>iTunes was great for tagging music, organizing a large library
It was good enough, I guess but specialized programs were considerably better, especially on Windows.

web.archive.org/web/20170111060011/blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
>what itunes was really great at

while op talk about winamp, nobody talk about realplayer

lol. did you work for realnetworks?

Thanks for reminding me about this piece of shit

I stopped upgrading when it became a memory hog and cpu killer.
I stopped using it when I went linux-only for 10 years or so.
When I came back to windows, I went with foobar2000 for a while because winamp 2 was too outdated and unlike winamp 3+, foobar wasn't a resource-hungry piece of shit full of advertising.
Now I hardly use mp3 players on the computer, I just have my tablet running all the time.

Youtube+Spotify happened.

I used Winamp in every install and format in my PC for the last 15 years or so, same look and shit even after they implemented bento skin and library option, just now i changed for a more modern amarok fork and its beautiful never looking back to winamp again!

No monetization strategy.

I remeber the time before flash when quicktime on the browser was a thing.

The first thing I even learned about iTunes is that it takes every audio file you have and duplicates them somewhere else on the computer
I had all my shit organized perfectly as a normal file system, I was happy

>iTunes

Anyone have the 3 classic old winamp skins that were from three expired zippy links?

Patrician XMPlay

I still use it. I never used another player in my life.

I remember a pokemon movie that would probably fit on a floppy or a few. Quality? But that's what I could get on a dialup!

I still use it to this day, I like the mascots that you can have on it

I still use Audacious. Before that, I used to use XMMS. Those are inspired by the classic Winamp.

...which can be enabled or disabled in preferences.

I've never seen a Winamp clone that duplicated the best of Winamp's functionality. Two of Winamp's best features were how fast it added files to your playlist, and its single-key player control shortcuts (zxcvb, and j).

Personally I run Quod Libet, which is arguably inspired by classic iTunes.

Sup Forums is full of people too retarded to hop into a settings/preferences panel

This is hideous

>people defending itunes itt
How is this place any different from reddit at this point

not tolerating differing opinions is peak reddit

Damn you're right. I guess the real reddit was me all along.

I am doing multiple things, when I am done I tidy it up

How in the fuck did a laggy piece of shit like iTunes even get popular? There's no way to stop it from auto launching if you happen to connect an iPhone. It even runs like total ass on Mac OS.

>Two of Winamp's best features were how fast it added files to your playlist, and its single-key player control shortcuts (zxcvb, and j).

Foobar2000 could do both of those for over a decade.

I miss the radio stations it had around 2005.

Foobar became the music player of choice for people who don't want to use itunes.

Still using it with the same skin I had in like 2003

AIMP is just better in every way

>normies
ur a fuckin fagget m8

Not up to par with Winamp. Winamp's add-to-playlist speed is second-to-none, and foobar2000's default keyboard shortcuts are seriously pathetic. Even if you tried to configure winamp equivalents, I bet there are issues with single-key ASCII shortcuts. Applications not designed with them in mind often have QC issues around them.

hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,86827.0.html

modifier key action/menu-command
Ctrl F Edit/Search
Ctrl N File/New Playlist
Ctrl O File/Open...
Ctrl P File/Preferences
Ctrl S File/Save Playlist...
Ctrl U File/Add Location...
Ctrl W File/Remove Playlist
Alt Enter [Context]/Properties
Alt A View/Always on Top

Foobar is much better at managing playlists.

>Winamp's add-to-playlist speed is second-to-none,

Er, how is Foobars any worse? I just click on a file and its on the playlist. Same behaviour as I used to have in Winamp.

And for the key configs, you can set up any command you want, and even set them up as global commands.

>some random off-topic bullshit
Okay?

>a file

>a file

>a file

Yeah for that matter even clicking a file in google play music is just as fast.

You're an idiot. You think there's any noticeable delay in adding a single fucking file to any of the music players we're discussing?

>"What went wrong with Winamp?" thread
>Foobar objectively did some things better, grew in popularity and pushed Winamp out
Random off-topic bullshit, sure.

>You're an idiot. You think there's any noticeable delay in adding a single fucking file to any of the music players we're discussing?

You never specified that you were doing anything more than that. I add folders, not files though.

You responded to my post with a statement completely unrelated to my post, so yes, off-topic bullshit.

>you never specified
>i have no common sense

who remembers deliplayer?

>i have no common sense

Well I add music by
- downloading or ripping the full album
- right click -> enqueuer in foobar2000

and it loads instantly in foobar all the time, unless the folder has a half gig ZIP file first that it needs to pre-parse. I don't know what exactly you mean by common sense here, would you care to elaborate how people normally add music to a music player?

>foobar
literally who?

Step aside.

This.

Still use XMMS 1.2.10

Was using 2.91 up until 2006.

I'd still be using it if it weren't for foobar existing.

Grotesque.

Foobar has great global shortcuts and is much lighter.

>much lighter
Sure, compared to today's Winamp. Not compared to pre-AOL Winamp.

>global shortcuts
What are you talking about? Like how it responds to multimedia keyboards? Or are you saying you add custom keys to your configuration?

Still running this due to the insane amount of audio format plugins I have for it that aren't available on foobar yet.
The closest player that has as much format support is a fucking android application.

Who remembers this?

I use foobar2000 now.

>The closest player that has as much format support is a fucking android application.
Let me guess. Newtron?

>the insane amount of audio format plugins I have for it that aren't available on foobar yet.

Yeah, that's probably bullshit.

*Neutron, I meant.

I still use winamp to this day.
Never found any reason to replace it, it just works.

I switched to foobar years ago because it has tabbed playlists.

>the insane amount of audio format plugins I have for it that aren't available on foobar yet.

Such as?

>tfw just found out songbird has been defunct for years now

why? it was a nice audio player

winamp were good ~ 10 years ago.
It had reasonable hotkeys and didn't take up too much resources in terms of screen space, RAM and CPU.
It went downhill because it is proprietary.
It couldn't keep a way to make money that didn't screwed over the users, so the users abandoned it.
Other music players could do more things, so the core essentials stopped to matter.
Today, most music players are on phones.
There is only one music player on a phone that even closely resembles this, so I can only assume that no mobile programmer has ever used a music player and that touch is just too difficult for most programmers.
It is good (for programmers) that phones are basically useless and something like winamp is the best they can do. Even though it will take them 50 years to add the functionality that makes it good.

Is Snacks still making his podcasts? Last time I saw then was on r9k years ago
Not him but there's some tracker and video game music that fb2k won't play, even with plugins
I don't listen to any of that but there's some anons that do
Though I don't believe there's an Android application that works for stuff that fb2k can't
Apple kept iTunes as a requirement for any iPod/iPhone, third party software would get cucked by Apple shortly after release

Using it right now, winamp GOAT

I keep an win7 vm in my FreeBSD install just so I can use...

iTunes.

Don't even have an Apple device. iTunes is just the best player Imo.

winamp is for hipster faggots that are stuck in 1997-2001 for some reason

its simple to use.

>Not him but there's some tracker and video game music that fb2k won't play, even with plugins
I want examples.

Check the Sup Forums archives

No. Its not on me to find out if someone else's claims are true.

If Sup Forums really cared about cimplicity they'd all be using macs and iphones.

>take two days to download a feature length movie in rm format
>whopping 20 megabytes

Neither on me, if you care check it yourself

I don't care, but sure does.

Hate on me all you want, but I was using iTunes back then because of its simplicity and I perceived it having better audio playback. I quit iTunes once it started becoming bloated with its stupid Apple Store crap.

I couldn't stand WinAmp, felt like a shoddy piece of software and all of their skins were absolute trash. I used foobar briefly though.

Before iTunes, I think I used Windows Media Player to store all my music and thought their music visualizations were amazing. I still remember staying up late at night with an online friend continually refreshing the Microsoft page for the new release of Windows Media Player 9 to come out or something. I was such a normie even before it was a thing.

>I still remember staying up late at night with an online friend continually refreshing the Microsoft page for the new release of Windows Media Player 9 to come out or something
Why? Did it live up to your expectations?

i still use winamp with the classic skin since 1997

pretty sure some big company bought it and added all the kinds of bloat that we were glad it didn't have
If it wasn't for foobar, i'd probably still be using Winamp 3 lmao. Been toying around a bit with Clementine after learning of it here a few weeks ago, but it's not really my thing.

Because we were young and stupid, this was like 2003/2004 and it was just brand new software and we wanted to be the first to get it. My online friend was a Microsoftie as well.

I think around midnight, the webpage briefly became inaccessible, then the download link appeared and both of us rushed to install it.

Yeah, back then I thought it was the coolest thing ever and was so happy to have the newest software, plus it was free as well. Being a poor kid living with his parents, what do you expect.

Wow, XMMS had 99% market share?

I just use MPC-HC. Anything that properly decodes almost any format, and properly sends it to the audio subsystem buffer (eventually), generally works for me. Bypassing the bulk of the OS can be nice though.

Lack of gapless playback is bad though. I'll possibly attempt to add it to MPC-HC eventually.

>plus it was free as well. Being a poor kid living with his parents, what do you expect.

fuck off satan

>This
iTunes was basically WMP but with a not as hideous interface

It also had a greater sense of ease of access. It was quick to move left to the screen, pick an artist and see all their music sorted by albums

Windows, it was exit the player, go into artists, scroll for a week, find them, pick an album, then play, move onto next album by clicking back, picking the next one, pick a song...

It merely came down to the interface. iTunes did so much more by keeping things so simple. When you listen to music, most people want to listen to one artists discography or at least have access to it all at once, to have a long playlist for background sound or to have quick access to their favorite songs from a artist.

Apple won purely from interface, because ultimately that's the one thing that will be the deciding factor, how easily can I access things? Being an engineering student you see this with AutoCAD and solid works. People hands down, 999/1000 times will pick Solid works even though it's a harder program to learn, because it's also a easier to use program. While I'm messing around with interfaces and line types, in solid works I simply click and scroll to get the view I want. And that's why people use Solidworks for their 2D CAD work even though it's primarily a 3D program.

>His proprietary media player goes to shit
>All he can do is come and moan about it on online forums instead of just using a fork
When will you ever learn?

Use AIMP