Younger people less tech literate

I think people born in 1985-1995 are more tech savvy than people born 1995-2000. After Facebook people didn't do anything more than get a Mac Book and update their status and post on people's home page. Older people actually experimented more with programs and other uses of a computer. Also even younger people use phones more than computers.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailywire.com/news/19462/google-memo-says-men-and-women-are-different-women-amanda-prestigiacomo
mashable.com/2013/08/11/teens-facebook/#oPrnvVIhqqqd
nytimes.com/2015/09/20/fashion/move-over-millennials-here-comes-generation-z.html
cbsnews.com/news/social-media-fuels-a-change-in-generations-with-the-rise-of-gen-z/
coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw you deleted system32 before it became a meme

Will productivity programs have to adapt to GenZ because all they know how to use is a cell phone?

I predict outside trainers for Excel to make a killing as companies try to teach new employees to use programs the company needs them to use internally.

No. Just like companies refuse to adapt to millennial disrespect and not knowing whatever stupid custom the Boomers knew, they won't adapt to this until there is literally no workforce for them to pick from anywhere in the world.

H1B1 visa for people who know ow how to make a pivot table in Excel?

>GenZ

dailywire.com/news/19462/google-memo-says-men-and-women-are-different-women-amanda-prestigiacomo

1990-1993

Yes. Any other birth year is tech illiterate.

Imagine you're a fucking non cucked tech company just trying to exist and make products all the while you're scared to death that your GenZ hires might start a full blown social justice jihad any second.

I'm a Zfag and that's not true. Normies my age are much more privacy and security-conscious on average than GenX/Y I've seen -- most use adblock and are careful with providing/posting sensitive info to websites in general. We lack an equivalent of the hacker culture of the '80s but that was only a small minority back then as well, just seemed more prominent since the tech community was much smaller and exclusive.

Bro. Every high-school kid I know takes a snap chat photo every 45 seconds or uploads a photo of every meal they eat to Instagram.

>implying ephemeral semi-private platform isn't actually an improvement from Facebook the life-ruining botnet
mashable.com/2013/08/11/teens-facebook/#oPrnvVIhqqqd
nytimes.com/2015/09/20/fashion/move-over-millennials-here-comes-generation-z.html
cbsnews.com/news/social-media-fuels-a-change-in-generations-with-the-rise-of-gen-z/

millennials, not gen-z.

that was simply a necessity

if you had a computer you HAD to type commands at the prompt before windows if you wanted to play all those dos games.

even early windows was very intuitive with its interface. for instance take file manager (windows explorer's precursor). and even windows before windows XP. there were very few folders to navigate, and if you had a little time, you could somewhat explore what was in all the directories and have an idea of how the OS was laid out. after vista, that was pretty much impossible. I can't remember how many files were in the vista windows folder, but that was unmanageable for a simple user, let alone microsoft coders.
eventually some tasks got completely automated, dumbing down the maintenance and exploration processes for the user.

even if you hate Microsoft, you have to admit this was a good idea

Kids born after 2000 are too used to touch screen devices
our jahbs are safe

>early 80s
>not included
hey fuck you, tech noobs

I actually know a gen z kid and he is taking HS coding class. He is pretty smart but they don't understand life outside of walled gardens and apps it seems like to me. He won't install an ad blocker because it will hurt the profits of sites.

I used to think IT would be in jeopardy because everyone was using technology and IT helpdesk people would no longer be needed. The truth is they're needed more than ever. The only "tech" that people are familiar with is swiping their phone to facebook.

What I didn't see coming was all the jobs being outsourced to pajeet land

I'm 20 and everyone I know IRL is tech illiterate, yet they claim to love technology and programming, including the majority of my lecturers.

Is being a pretend programmer the new thing for hipsters?

>He won't install an ad blocker because it will hurt the profits of sites.
moralfaggotry virtue signaling taken to the next level, what a naive mong

forcing internet explorer on everyone wasn't

Young people are a different kind of tech savvy. I think older people are more likely to understand the insides of how a computer operates because that wad necessary growing up. I think younger people are more internet and social media savvy.

He is pretty naive but he is young. He didn't live through how terrible ads used to be infected.

They know how to google shit, aka how to find out hoe to do something. This is what alot of people lack.
Somehow if you dont know how to do it. google how to do it until you do. Older people wantd someone to show thrm how to do it etc

>privacy and security-conscious
>use facebook, whatsapp, snap, instagram etc.
chose one

>He didn't live through how terrible ads used to be infected.
People still get infected nowadays with all kinds of toolbars, miners and other shit, the kid is just naive thanks to brainwashing.
For example my friend's pc is loaded with shit and he won't install an adblocker just out of simple laziness and won't let me install one for him cause he doesn't want me touching his shit out of dumb paranoia despite being infected up the ass.
People are just dumb, not even bad experiences fix that.

I think OP is right and have been thinking the same thing.

lol

>Older people actually experimented more with programs and other uses of a computer
Maybe back then, but now I just play shitty mmos and browse Sup Forums all day.

Being old enough is knowing that early versions of windows were actually pretty shitty and most young fags think otherwise because of a few comfy memes here and there

This is absolutely true, and I think there's even a study or two on it. There are people who grew up on iOS - these people have no idea what a filesystem even is. Tapping apps on your phone screen teaches you absolutely nothing about technology. Everything is abstracted to GUI now, with frontends for everything, and even the average desktop user has no need to learn how anything works behind the scenes. Even on Sup Forums, a supposed technology board, you read terms like "it just works" and "desktop experience", which really just mean "It works without me having to know how and what, nor even learn anything". You have supposed programmers who are reliant on IDEs, and who don't know even the basics of git. It's a sad state, and more and more abstraction will only make it worst.

Ignorant people define tech literacy by being able to navigate a UI someone else created, which young people are disproportionately good at. When it comes to ACTUAL tech literacy, age matters much less than people think.

My mom went to the doctor the other day and there were a bunch of mothers with their kids at the pediatric wing, some kid started whining about some shit and instead of scolding him the bitch just gave him a phone to keep him occupied like the rest of the kids. My mom got terrified at how fast the kid swiped on the touch screen playing some shitty game and how fixated the fucker was.
I mean there's always been shitty mothers but some time ago they'd just buy the kid a bag of chips or some sweets to keep him occupied, now it's even worse.
There's a reason the silicon valley execs send their kids to schools where they don't allow electronics until the age of 13, modern tech just dumbs down kids and kills their attention spans.

>internet and social media savvy

coding2learn.org/blog/2013/07/29/kids-cant-use-computers/

You know I was born in the 1980s and it was a nearly insignificant minority of people that even bothered to learn computers beyond a superficial level. I imagine there is a similar minority of younger people just as interested in learning computers. Quit projecting your anecdotal evidence on an entire generation.

>He won't install an ad blocker because it will hurt the profits of sites.

Sites only get profit from clicks. If he's not clicking the the ads, no having adblocker won't make a difference.

Yeah, but at the same time, that's what human progress is, you mong. We keep abstracting problems so we no longer have to think about them, allowing us to focus on the next set of problems and so on.

They teach those programs in highschool and college.

People who started using PCs from the 80's onward know how to install software and manage their own files.

GenY/Z angrybirds players don't even know what a file manager is.

Checkmate.

Don't tell him that though.

nice blog post, where do I unsubscribe?

thank you daddy

t. Z-fag majoring EECS, where everyone has been programming arduinos and playing CTFs since junior high, uses vim or sublime text (yes, the "all young programmers are numale webartisans who only uses IDE!!!1one!" is a meme), and knows the linux API like the back of their hands

99.99% of modern ads actually do pay per view.
google adsense pays about $1 per 2000 views

Absolutely not. I teach classes to these people at a university. Using Google to find a solution (or any kind of self-directed problem-solving, really) is completely alien to them. Helplessness is fully ingrained.

>more anecdotes

>born in 1995
Which am I.

>he doesn't know views are logged with asynchronous javascript
haha, a tech illiterate gen Y :^) point and laugh, fellow Z-ers :)))

only for retarded brainlets
so no

>people in my age range are smarter than everyone else, my echo chamber confirms this

I think people from 1950-1960 are more tech savvy than people born 1961-present. After we invented the internet people didn't do anything more than get Apple Ones and play their stupid Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiegos. Older people expiriment with accounting software and other users of computer. Also even younger people use PCs more than Apple Ones.

>people born 1995-2000
>Older people
1961 here and my first PC was a TS 1000
Still have one

oh shi-

I'm posting with it now

>the next set of problems
What are these "problems" that the average consumer is focusing on and solving? Social media? Willingly giving up their privacy and trading their data to every company and service that comes along?

1998 bab here, i love retro tech and new age tech, why is oldfag op salty about social media, yeah it's annoying but just don't have any and your good

yes

Not unless you get interested in tech

>Im 1998

01 here, I know exactly one person my age that knows a programming language. I think the reason is just that you don't haveto know anything about computers to use them

Get off Sup Forums.

1984 was the perfect year to be born into tech

>01 here
OH GOD
IT HAPPENED

95 was better.

I blame consoles, tablets and smartphones. PC at least required modicum of thinking to build and use.

I grew up in the 90's and I really cant stand "start-up" culture. Bunch of hipsters with half-ass coding skills trying to reinvent the wheel

Some of them are succeeding. Are you sure you're not just bitter?

lol babbies, my generation built the shit your lifes run on

gonna get banned but this post reeaaally is true

2003 reporting in, lol
i have a thinkpad with gentoo
> haha 1990 called they want their computers back! get a MacBook, idiot
only use icecat
> user, you know chrome is the best browser? firefox sucks
no social media
> user, why don’t you make an insta! everyone has one now!
audio technica
> you know that beats and bose are the best headphones.... right?
emerge –update –newuse –deep @world
> user, are you hacking?!

i know one other kid who is competent with computers but we go to different schools and he sorts dislikes me

love you Sup Forums ;^)

>this kid was only 2 years old when Sup Forums was born

also, there are kids who unironically ping websites via terminal and say they are ddosing

unerageb&

We're not impressed.
No, generations before yours did. Unless you're talking about Facebook and Snapchat and all that pointless shit.

wow i've never actually noticed that bar there. i would always just use kb shortcuts

aka the shit your lives run on

Literally me, except
>Linux API like the palm of their hands
Does the Windows Native API count?

98 fag here, feels awful to be part of the same generation where no one knows shit about computers, and they think it's all social media and macroshit office.
How do I off myself?

Mine doesn't. Believe it or not, most of the world is not on social media.

>running out of hd space
>wtf is this system32 it takes up too much space
>delete it

me too user

Ez proof

We don't spend shit on education. American children have shitty test scores.

We fucked now, bois

aaaaand?

ffs, I use C and Lisp, and have Arch, don't have any social media. tf is your problem?

The tabletization of technology has rendered a bunch of people tech illiterate. The generation that had to grow up tinkering with their desktops have now a bunch of kids who don't even know how to erase their WIFI configurations on an Android tablet.

>born the year 911 happened
>I was shitposting here when you were in diapers

welp killing myself this year confirmed

I don't even have a Facebook or Snapchat account.

There is some truth to it I was born 94 and girls I've dated born around 1999 mostly just use their phones and are shit with computers.

Guys are more likely to get into PC gaming and learn a bit more that way.

how long are kids in diapers?
Sup Forums was a guro board in 03, i don't think it became a tech board till like 05 or 06

>I predict outside trainers for Excel to make a killing as companies try to teach new employees to use programs the company needs them to use internally.
They already do.

With GPS data embedded in the exif data.

You must be 18 to use this website. It is illegal for you to be on here.

I suspect tech literacy in general for all ages is proportionally lower. People's interest in technology are a lot different now than they were for geeks in the 80s and 90s. Social media was the largest driver of that change.

vim is for hipsters who think that using a pain in the ass over complicated editor makes them elite somehow.
nano is superior to all.

It was the only browser at the time

>Normies my age are much more privacy and security-conscious

>Btw I use Arch

Ok user

>her

Found the probelm.

>internal speaker of pc is making a beeping noise
>6 years old me opens it up and unplugs the speaker because it's annoying
>cpu dies of overheating some weeks later
>well, now I know that beeping means something
We were reckless like that. Nowadays people seem to be afraid of their phones.

>I predict outside trainers for Excel to make a killing as companies try to teach new employees to use programs the company needs them to use internally.
That already exists.

I've seen cars driving around my town with "Excel experts" and a phone number written on them that you can call when you can't figure out how to make negative numbers red automatically.

Andy?

I have a 5yr old and know that you're lying?

Born 1994 here. Na I hate dealing with 30+ year old's in industry.
They seem to think they're superior while spouting some backwards ass concepts.

>Normies my age are much more privacy and security-conscious

>I only ever upload my nudes to Facebook over https

>my Snapchat app is password protected

>I don't use my real name on Twitter, so it's real anonymous -especially when I Periscope my walk from home to school

>13 year old brother can't plug a hdmi cable
>Can't install his minecraft mods
>Has problems with troubleshooting anything
>Doesn't understand any settings on his games and whenever I change the setting to his actual monitor resolution, he says it's "wrong" because it is now "smaller"
Help

It's to late, just buy him an xbox.

>minecraft
he already has mind aids, this shit turns children into faggots